Start by marking “Niet te stoppen” as Want to Read:
Niet te stoppen

Niet te stoppen

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  39,569 ratings  ·  6,531 reviews
Bri is zestien en wil een van de grootste rappers ter wereld worden. En ze heeft wat te bewijzen, aangezien haar overleden vader een echte raplegende is. Maar dan wordt Bri's moeder ontslagen en wordt overleven haar prioriteit. Bri uit al haar frustraties in haar raps. Het is nu geen kwestie meer van willen: ze móét het maken!
Kindle Edition
Published March 29th 2019 by Moon (first published February 5th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Niet te stoppen, please sign up.
Sarah Yes, Angie Thomas's Twitter bio confirms the release date is now February 5, 2019. Check out her pinned tweet for a bit more info.

·  39,569 ratings  ·  6,531 reviews

Start your review of Niet te stoppen
Chaima ✨ شيماء
It’s Angie Thomas’ world and she’s just allowing us to live in it.

You know when you finish reading a book and there's a moment that feels so remarkable it carves out a space in time and whirls there while the world rushes on around it? In that gap where your real storyline seems very abstract and you're left with such a warm and happy feeling that you're glowing just by being around the book's energy?

That was me upon finishing this book. I'm still overwhelmed by the zing of fee
Emily May
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aunt Pooh said I only get one chance to let everybody and their momma know who I am.
So I take it.

How do you follow a book like The Hate U Give?

Reading THUG, I got the impression that I was experiencing something momentous. It was breathtaking. Important. I was witnessing a person using their art to say loud and clear “ENOUGH.” On the Come Up looks at some of the same things, but it is a different kind of book. I think, however, it is a book which shows that Thomas is a great writer, not just someone w
Kai
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"You'll never silence me and you'll never kill my dream,
Just recognize when you say brilliant that you're also saying Bri."

First of all, HAPPY BOOK BIRTHDAY and second of all THIS BOOK IS GONNA BE A FILM YOU GUYS. What a birthday present, am I right?

Spoiler free!

This is the 2019 release I was most scared to read. THUG was such a major, ground-breaking, and emotional book for me that the stakes for Angie’s second books were mile-high. Now I can assure you that th
Warda
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-fell-in-love
[4.5🌟]

This book was pretty fuckin phenomenal. I wasn't sure how THUG could be topped, but Angie Thomas did that!
I fell in love with this story, with Brianna, her friends and family and her love for music. All those aspects were pretty much nailed and I couldn't get enough once I started reading.
I'm really liking how Angie Thomas incorporates themes regarding social justice in her stories in order for us to get to know how some black communities are living and opening our eyes
Lola
Oh my, oh my, oh my. This was INTENSE. I have no doubt a movie will be produced. Otherwise, BIG MISTAKE because this is something the world needs and I just really want to see a teen movie with a rap battle + romance + family drama + diverse characters + fierce social involvement. Because YES.
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
While I didn't enjoy the plot of this one quite as much as I enjoyed the plot of the Hate U Give, this book was still soOoOoOoOo GOOD. Angie Thomas' writing perfectly fits the YA genre and we are truly blessed to be living in the same lifetime as her. SO DAMN GOOD.

TW: racism, drug dealing, gun violence
megs_bookrack
ANGIE THOMAS!!!

I am so in love with your words.

This story follows, Bri Jackson, who, like Starr from THUG, lives in the Garden Heights neighborhood. That is pretty much where the similarities end between these two girls however.

Bri lives with her mother and her older brother. Her father, a once successful rapper, was gunned down in the streets, a victim of gang violence. Bri's mother, a
Hannah Greendale
Going to keep this review short because everyone and their rap-loving aunt is going to read and review this book. And, cutting right to the chase, because everyone wants to know how On the Come Up measures up to The Hate U Give, so let me be straight: They're different books.

THUG is about a girl, a victim, being shuffled along by something much bigger than her - a socio-political movement hundreds of years in the making. Starr Carter is a quiet girl, a good girl, who tries to keep to herself and waits until pr
April (Aprilius Maximus)
I ACTUALLY CANNOT DEAL WITH HOW GOOD THIS WAS.

Lilith Black
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DISCLAIMER
I get that some people might not see some of my words with good eyes, but these are the things that this book made me think about. So please, respect my opinion. It's against no one, but if you have a different opinion than mine, or you totally disagree with my thoughts, feel free to say your opinion. I will respect it, no matter what.

When I found out about this book, I think it was a couple of months ago or something like that. Obviously, I wanted to read this one too after I loved "The Hate U Give"/>

When
Hamad
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, 2019-reads
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

“There’s only so much you can take being described as somebody you’re not.”

🌟 If Angie Thomas taught me something is that I should use my voice if I have one and I am going to do exactly that. If you think you will be offended by this review or by this not being my favorite book of the year then don’t continue this review!

🌟 A thing I have noticed lately is that it is always a bit harder to view diverse books
R.K. Gold
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly trying to give this book 6/5 stars. I love how it was completely different from THUG while taking place in the same neighborhood.

You can tell Angie Thomas is a true student of all writing, breaking down syntax, rhyme scheme, diction and all other aspects of language throughout the story.

Each character had a very clear conflict for the reader to follow so no point felt like it was convenient or forced to keep the story moving forward.

I also loved how i
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
I’m going to be bold about this and say that I loved this more than THUG. Angie Thomas had a hard act to follow, but this was spot on in every possible way.
✨    jamieson   ✨
“You’ll never silence me and you’ll never kill my dream. Just recognize when you say brilliant that you’re also saying Bri.”

OH, this was absolutely 100% amazing and Angie Talent is WAY too talented for me to handle. Obviously, I literally adored
“There's only so much you can take being described as somebody you're not.”

Easily my favourite part of this book was Bri's character. Bri is the kind of character I've been wanting and needing in YA for so long. She feels so genuinely teen and she makes a lot of m
Nenia ☠️ Hecka Wicked ☠️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

So apparently giving supporting details about your arguments = spoilers. I thought I was pretty vague, apart from mentioning a few potentially triggering situations, but just in case: I talk about the book in this review of the book(!), please consider yourself warned.

I've been looking forward to ON THE COME UP ever since I heard that Angie Thomas was writing a new book. THE HATE U GIVE was one of those life-changing books for me, in that it was a pitch-perfect book that came out at
BernLuvsBooks (Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas)
Angie Thomas has such a way of incorporating social justice (and injustice) into her stories that is both moving and eye opening. This book focused on so many things - racism, drugs, poverty, family issues, being true to yourself and more & it dealt with each one undeniably well.

I was worried going into this book that it wouldn't live up to The Hate You Give for me. While THUG is still my favorite, Bri and her family and friends definitely captured me. I was fully invested in the characters and the
C.G. Drews
Well we all knew the Queen of YA would gift us with another incredible story...so brb, just feeling so many things about this one. I also really love Angie Thomas' style, her voice, and her passion and love that you can absolutely feel in every single page of the book. This one is about rapping and being poor and figuring out who you are, no matter what the world is saying or where it's telling you that you fit. It's not quite as dark as The Hate U Give, but that doesn't make it any less powerful or needed!

(I
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FOUR FOR THE LOVE OF RAPPERS AND THEIR REBELLIOUS, POWERFUL WORDS TO EXPRESS THEIR BUILDED UP ANGER AGAINST THE WILD WORLD OUT THERE!

Let’s raise our glasses for brilliant author Angie Thomas’s second book! She did again. This time we’re introduced more controversial, complex, tough like granite young character Bri, a successful rapper having hard time to accept the hand the life has dealt for her. Her mother recently sacked from her job. The last warning notices and being in danger t
Angelica
Angie Thomas can do no wrong. That much has been made obvious in this book.

I loved Bri and her personality and watching her overcome her struggles, and just the whole book in general.

I don't know how Angie Thomas can put so much personality into her characters. Even the side characters have so much to them. They are so real, so interesting to read about. Each character is so well defined in their background and personality. What's even better is the relationships they have with o
Christy
3.5 stars!

photo 51902528_10105167289557178_3824979727857221632_n_zpsptitfmfi.jpg

Angie Thomas' debut novel 'The Hate You Give' blew me away. I hate to compare it to this, because they are totally different stories, but I couldn't help myself. For me, this was good, but not near as good as THUG. Angie Thomas is an amazing writer and there was lots I loved about this book, but there were also
Laurie Anderson
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-the-best, ya
Angie is the best! I loved this book.
Erin
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Damn, I loved this book! The Hate U Give was one of my favorite reads in 2017 and it looks like On the Come Up is going to make my 2019 list. Angie Thomas absolutely nails "voice" and "characterization " in her storytelling and in 16 year old Brianna, an aspiring rapper, she creates a protagonist that I was cheering for from page one.

That's what we call our goal, the come up. It's when we finally make it with this rap stuff. I'm talking get-out-of-the-Garden-and-have-enough-money-to-never-worry-ag
Kate ☀️ Olson
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, aoc
Angie Thomas didn't just live up to the expectations I had after reading and loving The Hate U Give, she went to an entirely new level with On The Come Up. As a school librarian and reviewer of a great deal of young adult literature, I can tend to feel a bit of ”been there, read that" with many stories. This isn't a knock on YA, it's simply a result of being an adult reading a lot of YA. However, with On the Come Up, Angie Thomas brings a fresh and vital story to the genre, and also one of the most a ...more
Iara
ANOTHER NOVEL FROM THE AUTHOR BEHIND THE PHENOMENAL THE HATE U GIVE?
SIGN ME UP.
✨ A ✨
To be honest I was afraid this book wouldn't live up to The Hate U Give. But it did and I loved every second of it.

The audiobook was brilliant guys. No joke. The narrator did such a good job and her rapping was fire. I even had the tunes stuck in my head.

This is a story about a girl with a dream to be a rapper. But living in Garden Heights is not easy and becoming successful enough to leave the Heights is even harder.

I thought this was just going to be about Bri becoming a rapper and the rap/ Hip
Trina (Between Chapters)
So good! I had Bri's songs stuck in my head the whole time I was reading this. Loved how this unpacks the "angry Black woman" stereotype through Bri's school experience and music.

Audiobook review: Narration is great. It's the same voice actor who did Children of Blood and Bone for reference. There is some yelling, which is always a pet peeve of mine for volume control, but I'd still recommend the audio!

tw: racial profiling, gangs/gang wars, drug dealing, addiction (character is recovered,
My_Strange_Reading
#mystrangereading On The Come Up by Angie Thomas ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

THIS BOOK.
If you read THUG, then you understand how masterful Thomas is in her ability to write a beautiful story centered around characters that are so three dimensional that the reader can be truly traumatized. Many times while reading this book, I could picture Bri as one of my own students and felt my heart jolt and blood pressure rise as she made stupid choices or walked into tough situations.

As a THUG reader, I walked into this book a
Gabby
This was really good! I wasn't as big of a fan of this book as I was of The Hate U Give, but this book contains the same amazing writing and calling people out on their white privilege. The main character Bri lives in the same neighborhood as Starr from The Hate U Give (which is pretty cool). Bri wants to become the next best rap artist, and this is a story of her rise to fame, but it's also a drama about her family and all the hardships they have to deal with, mostly due to the color of their skin.

This
Sara
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I devoured this book in a single day - that's how good it was!

Angie Thomas has a magnificent way of writing characters you truly connect with and i was so invested in how things turned out for Bri.
Jasmane Nolivo's Review #8 1 1 Nov 15, 2019 10:52PM

• Let Me Hear a Rhyme
  • Sadie
  • Pride
  • Black Enough: Stories of Being Young & Black in America
  • The Bride Test (The Kiss Quotient, #2)
  • Dear Martin
Angie Thomas was born, raised, and still resides in Jackson, Mississippi as indicated by her accent. She is a former teen rapper whose greatest accomplishment was an article about her in Right-On Magazine with a picture included. She holds a BFA in Creative Writing from Belhaven University and an unofficial degree in Hip Hop. She can also still rap if needed. She is an inaugural winner of the Walt ...more
“Jay’s a people person. I’m more of a “yes, people exist, but that doesn’t mean I need to talk to them” person.” 38 likes
“There's only so much you can take being described as somebody you're not.” 22 likes