Start by marking “The Bridge to Belle Island” as Want to Read:
The Bridge to Belle Island

The Bridge to Belle Island

Published December 3rd 2019 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Bridge to Belle Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bridge to Belle Island

Start your review of The Bridge to Belle Island
Nov 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This reminded me of a Hercule Poirot story. It was a story of who done it! Someone was murdered and I had no idea who killed them. And things just got more mysterious with every page. I love this authors writing and I love the time period.
But having said that...This wasn’t as romantic as I’d wished and parts of it dragged for me. Don’t get me wrong, the writing was good and I’m always going to read every book she writes. I hope this was helpful.

This was a NETGALLEY gift and all opinions are my
Jen. (JenGalaxy4 Christian Book Reviews)
I’ve just read my first book by Julie Klassen.

And, now I must collect everything she’s ever published!!

I LOVED this book! Just simply loved it!

The Bridge to Belle Island is a well-crafted and perfectly-paced! It’s a story filled with wonderful, vivid characters and imagery. There are so many intriguing layers, twists and turns!

I can’t say much more, because…well…spoilers. But! One thing’s for sure – you won’t want to miss this page-turning mystery at its finest!

The Bridge to Belle Island is
Randi | randiloves2read
When lawyer Benjamin Booker and his senior partner Robert Harvey stumbles upon a crime scene, they are horrified the victim is longtime friend and company founder Percival Norris. The case seems connected to Isabella Wilder of Belle Island. Benjamin agrees to pay her a visit to investigate the murder under the cover of giving her legal advice.

The victim, Mr. Norris, has served as trustee of the Wilder estate in a way which increasingly worries and angers his charge Isabella. For the last ten
Amanda
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
I have read many Julie Klassen novels and was overjoyed when I received The Bridge to Belle Island by Julie Klassen. This book introduces a lawyer named Benjamin Booker who experiences a detrimental loss in his career. So now, he has trust issues, particularly with beautiful women. When he and his mentor discover that an old partner has been found murdered, they are determined to bring the culprit to justice. The evidence leads them to Isabelle Wilder on Belle Island. Isabelle has experienced so ...more
Hannah
Say what? Julie Klassen wrote a murder mystery? I couldn’t wait to get my hands on a copy and I loved every minute of this beautiful story. It’s atmospheric and broody.

Our heroine has been trapped on the island for years with a sort of agoraphobia that prevents her from crossing the bridge to the mainland. She has made a good life for herself in spite of that, but it’s breaking her heart that she will have to miss her beloved niece’s wedding in London. At least she thinks that’s her worst
Maureen Timerman
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
The author kept me guessing, almost to the end, and thankfully a wonderful job is done to totally complete this read.
Greed and Pride, and maybe more, but these come in to play, and end with murder, but who wanted this lawyer dead? When the facts begin to fall, the list grows, and really surprises abound.
The setting sounds so ideal, a beautiful island on the Tames, made me want to live there!
If you like a book that is filled with action, most you won’t see coming, intrigue, and mystery, and
Staci
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
Lovely historical novel by the talented Julie Klassen. The characters and setting are both charming in this Regency novel.
Joleen
The Bridge to Belle Island by Julie Klassen
Characters
Isabelle Wilder: Feels a curse is on her
Benjamin Booker: Attorney seeking truth of a partner's murder
Rose Lawrence: Isabelle's beloved niece
Theodore Grant: Doctor and long time friend to Isabelle
Robert Hardy: Senior partner in the law firm, Ben's boss
Uncle Percy: Distant relative, trustee of Wilder estates.
Christopher Adair: Rose's intended
Evan Curtis: Isabelle's ex-fiancé
Carlota Medina: Isabelle's friend and lady's maid

1819, London and
Kav
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Squeal! Eep! Squeeppp!!! Regency with a Gothic flare! I'm swooning just on principle. :-)

Love the slow build to the mystery. Very atmospheric. The murder happens right at the start but the sifting through clues is delectably laborious. So many potential suspects, so many questions left unanswered. So many false trails to follow. And the secrets! Isabelle's safe island haven is anything but.

Though the mystery is an important part of the story, it doesn't outshine the luxurious Regency details --
Deanne Patterson
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Deanne by: cnnamongirl@aol.com
I have read almost all of Julie Klassen's books and this has to be my favorite of all of them.
The characters really jump off the page at you, demanding your attention to solve the case before another murder occurs.
The story line was superb and I learned about Belle Island and River Thames , the ebb and flow of the river and it's flooding.
Belle Island is fiction but I could picture myself there among it's people watching the mystery crack wide open.
The story involves a disenchanted lawyer on the
Melissa
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Julie Klassen is a hit or miss author for me. Some of her books I love others not so much. This one fell right in the middle. It was a slow moving mystery with a bit of romance attached to the end. The story and characters take time to build. The mystery is a very good one. I was pretty stumped. Klassen wrote this so you would suspect everyone! Even the sweet leading lady who I knew could not have done it. It was a very well done book. I just felt like the characters got lost to the mystery with ...more
Lori
Nov 28, 2019 added it
One of the best Julie Klassen books I've ever read outside of Pembroke Hall. But this one is my favorite by hers.
It's quite a bit different from what I'm used to reading by her but it's all good.
The setting of this story is just right for what goes on in the book. The way Julie writes I pictured myself there perfectly.
I enjoyed reading about Isabelle. Her struggles with anxiety reminds of of someone else I know.
We lived by a creek. I've seen that creek when it's flooded and the bridge we
Kristine Morgan
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Bridge to Belle Island by Julie Klassen, while a good book is not my favorite book of hers. I think for me the problem was that I did not really like most of the characters. The plot was good but was a slow starter. Other than that I did enjoy this book once I got into it. By the time I reached the last quarter of the book, I had to keep reading, at that point I wanted to know what happened. So grab the beverage of your choice and settle in for a good read.

I was given a copy of this book by
Tammie
After a humiliating mistake, lawyer Benjamin Booker resolves to never again trust a beautiful woman. When an old friend is killed, the senior partner isn't satisfied with Bow Street's efforts and asks Benjamin to investigate. Eager to leave London for a while, Benjamin agrees. Evidence takes him to a remote island on the Thames, a world unto itself, shrouded in mist and mystery. Soon he finds himself falling for the main suspect--a woman who claims not to have left the island in ten years. But ...more
Susan Snodgrass
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
'Did she believe God was loving? She wanted to trust, but fear and worry all too often won out.'

I have been a Julie Klassen fan since her very first book, which I have read several times. Her Regencies are perfect and the mystery she throws in completes them. I was drawn in immediately here and continually kept trying to find the culprit. Her characters are great and the plot was also the same and the build up to the ending was superb! Recommended.

*My thanks to Bethany House Publishers for a
Sophia
First she pulled me into a haunting, gothic romance and most recently inviting me into a delightful village to save an old coaching inn. For this occasion, she introduces an island estate on the Thames and a mystery tying it to a dark deed done in London driving me to high expectation. Julie Klassen is a deft hand at taking the reader back to the Regency Era with her engaging characters and the gentle flow of story that passes quickly leaving the reader is left well-satisfied, but still wanting ...more
Rebecca
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Stay at home! Stay safe!"

Her mother's last words . . . . forever etched in her brain; compelling Isabelle Wilder to remain tethered to her beautiful home on Belle Island. And now, unfortunate suspicions are swirling about her trustee's untimely death; murder they say . . . . . and somehow she is connected, albeit impossible, because she never travelled to London on that fateful night. However, she does remember having a troubling dream.

Attorney Benjamin Booker has been assigned to
Faye
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful heiress is implicated in a shocking murder, while a lawyer who vowed never to trust a beautiful face is the only one who can help her clear her name.

Isabelle loves her home on Belle Island, but fears keep her from spreading her wings and going beyond it's familiar comfort. She is shocked at the accusations, but she cannot with clarity say that she did not commit the crime.

Benjamin took a different path than was laid out for him, carving out a career in law. He seeks to live his
Kailey
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Even though it took me a little bit to get into this book, once I got into it it captured my attention. I loved how it kept me guessing. Whenever I thought I had figured out who the murderer was, something new would come to light and change my mind. I really enjoyed this book!
Jill Williamson
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love Julie's books!
Loraine
Isabelle Wilder is a 30 year old spinster who is chained to her home on Belle Island by fear since most of her relatives who left the island ended up dead. Thirty one year old Benjamin Booker is a lawyer who just lost an important case due to being swayed by the wiles of his female client. Now one of his bosses, Percival Norris, has been found dead; and the main suspect is Isabelle Wilder whose trust he handled. When his other boss, Mr. Hardy, sends Benjamin to Belle Island to investigate, he ...more
Melissa
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
A great read. I very much enjoyed this regency novel complete with mystery and an interesting premise. I would have devoured it much sooner but my mom had heart surgery while I was reading it, which caused quite a bit of distraction. The story moved well and the mystery kept my guessing throughout since there was no shortage of suspects. There were quite a few surprises along the way that kept the story intriguing and the ending was pretty much perfect. Recommended!

I received this book through
Lucy
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been a fan of Ms. Klassen for years, but she has outdone herself with this one. I found it outstanding and wishing Belle Island was real so I could move there. I could identify with Isabelle and her anxiety and loss of family. To see her real life struggles made her strong in my eyes. The murder mystery flowed from one scene to the next like the Thames that flowed by Belle Island sometimes smooth and sometimes roaring. Toss in Benjamin Booker and many lovable lesser characters and you feel ...more
Kelly Bridgewater
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Bridge to Belle Island by Julie Klassen is a Regency Mystery Romance. While the story centers around Belle Island, the story actually focuses on the hunt for a murderer and the idea of Isabella Wilder and her ability to not be able to leave the island. Isabella Wilder has a kind heart, just like most heroines in this period are written. She is afraid to leave the island since the death of her parents on the main land. The story starts with a dead body collapsing on a desk in an office. The ...more
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Set on a beautiful island, off the Thames River in London The Bridge to Belle Island by Julie Klassen is a delightful who-dun-it style suspense novel. Throughly enjoyable, marvelous characters and a storyline very well written. I truly enjoyed the descriptive parts about Belle Island and wish it was a real island I could visit.

While I would like to visit, knowing full well I would leave to return home, Isabelle Wilder trapped by her own fears. As beautiful as the island is, despite her love for
Rachael
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is unquestionably a murder mystery, complete with all the trappings: red herrings, lies, sketchy alibis, and an abundance of suspects and motives, but set firmly in Regency era England. The mystery is definitely what drives the plot, and I didn't feel it had the emotional depth and impact of some of the author's other novels, but the constant spiritual thread about anxiety and placing one's trust in God was certainly timely for me!

While I preferred Klassen's Gothic stories (The Tutor's
Becky
First sentence: Benjamin Booker sat in the Old Bailey, pulse pounding. His most important case to date had finally been called to trial—his chance to prove himself to the firm’s partners. The courtroom was the usual raucous scene: noisy spectators and newsmen in the gallery, milling witnesses awaiting their turn, and wigged barristers goading one another like boxers in the ring.

The Bridge to Belle Island is a wonderful read! I will share my biases up front. I usually love Julie Klassen's novels.
Mary
A quaint, rather remote island in the Thames River sets the stage for Julie Klassen’s latest Regency tale! Suspense, intrigue, and romance add to the essence of this captivating story. After getting rather publicly humiliated during a trial, Benjamin Booker gladly accepts the challenge of going to the country and investigating Ms. Isabelle Wilder, purported to be a possible suspect in the death of her guardian, Mr. Norris, the senior partner at Mr. Booker’s law firm.

Benjamin finds himself drawn
Ebos Aifuobhokhan
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting and intriguing book.
It captivated my attention from the very first line till the end.
A lot of tragedies had happened in the life of Isabella to earn her isolating herself in her lovely island. But her time out comes to an end when her life is once again treated at it's foundations. Despite her fears I enjoyed reading about her sweet spirit and her love for people. As a homebody myself I could relate with her.
Ben had been bitten before by a pretty woman and he had set his heart
Nora St Laurent
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The story begins in a courtroom, introducing Benjamin Booker in 1819. “Benjamin Booker sat in the Old Bailey, pulse pounding His most important case to date had finally been called to trial – his chance to prove himself to the firm’s partners.”

Things don’t go as planned. The partners are not impressed with Benjamin and one of the partners turns up dead, Benjamin suspects there’s foul play. His partner tells him to go to Belle Island and deliver the news to the relatives. See for yourself how
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • The Thief of Lanwyn Manor (Cornwall, #2)
  • The Major's Daughter (Fort Reno, #3)
  • A Pursuit of Home (Haven Manor, #3)
  • An Uncommon Woman
  • Echoes Among the Stones
  • The Spice King (Hope and Glory, #1)
  • Seconds to Live (Homeland Heroes, #1)
  • Hope's Highest Mountain (Heirs of Montana, #1)
  • Aiming for Love (Brides of Hope Mountain, #1)
  • Serving Up Love: A Harvey House Brides Collection
  • A Distance Too Grand (American Wonders Collection, #1)
  • Diamond in the Rough (American Heiresses, #2)
  • The Rebel Bride (Daughter of the Mayflower, #10)
  • Finding Lady Enderly
  • Lake Season (Bluebell Inn Romance, #1)
  • Christmas at Whitefriars
  • The Way of the Brave (Global Search and Rescue #1)
Julie Klassen loves all things Jane—Jane Eyre and Jane Austen. A graduate of the University of Illinois, Julie worked in publishing for sixteen years and now writes full time. Three of her books, The Silent Governess, The Girl in the Gatehouse, and The Maid of Fairbourne Hall, have won the Christy Award for Historical Romance. She has also won the Midwest Book Award, the Minnesota Book Award, and ...more
“Did she believe God was loving? She wanted to trust, but fear nd worry all too often won out.” 0 likes