Start by marking “Echoes Among the Stones” as Want to Read:
Echoes Among the Stones

Echoes Among the Stones

After Aggie Dunkirk's career is unceremoniously ended by her own mistakes, she finds herself traveling to Wisconsin, where her grandmother, Mumsie, lives alone in her vintage, though very outdated, home. Aggie didn't plan for how eccentric Mumsie has become, obsessing over an old, unsolved crime scene--even going so far as to re-create it in a dollhouse.

Mystery seems to
Published December 3rd 2019 by Bethany House Publishers (first published December 2019)

Start your review of Echoes Among the Stones
Jocelyn Green
I loved this dual timeline novel by Jaime Jo Wright! It wasn't as creepy as her previous works (and I mean creepy in the very best way) but was more of a puzzle, a cerebral and emotional journey that brings the reader face to face with the legacy grief can have, and with the hope that can overcome it. I especially enjoyed the development of Mumsie. Being able to see her character arc span decades brought a rich dimension and perspective to the tale. The ending was completely satisfying without ...more
Deanne Patterson
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Deanne by: cnnamongirl@aol.com
Where's the option for more than five stars, I'd give it one hundred stars if I could .
How do I write a review for the best book I've read this year?
The dual time frame perfectly meshes old and new 70 years is but a drop in the bucket of time.
A 70 year cold case murder mystery begging to be solved , will there for justice for a young woman tragically murdered in the prime of her life.
70 years later a young woman fascinated with the historical case starts piecing together clues from the case and
Natalie Walters
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Aggie and Mumsie might be my favorite female duo EVER in a story!! I loved their characters so much and want to petition Hallmark Movies and Mysteries to make them an ongoing series!!

The twists and turns in this time split story will absolutely delight readers with the unique plot as well as tug on all the emotional strings as the mystery begins to unfold. I believe this is author, Jaime Jo Wright's, finest work and continues to make her my top recommendation for fans of historical, mystery,
Lori
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think that this is the best book by Jamie Jo Wright ever!! Just wow!
Told by Imogene of the past and Aggie of the future. Almost had me confused but towards the end I began to figure it out! Just wowsers!!
Best story plot and wonderful characters that will keep you guessing until you can't believe who it is!
I really think the best part (well, maybe not best but still.....) was when Imogene's parents passed away within days of each other. I say this because it was a coincidence that my
Susan
Jaime Jo Wright is skillful at crafting dual timeline mysteries. I can always count on her stories to provide enough suspense and creepiness to keep me turning the pages. She has an incredible talent of building the suspense in both storylines, weaving the threads of both into a masterpiece of intrigue.

While Echoes Among the Stones story centers around an unsolved murder from 1946, it is also a story of grieving, and how grief has a way of stealing future happiness if one lets it. Imogene's
Kav
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm in a post-read I-can't-believe-that-happened / I-didn't-see-that-coming daze. Accompanied by a serious case of the 'boohoo-it's-all-over blues. In short -- I am stupefied so if this review doesn't make sense blame Jaime Jo Wright not me! :-)

First -- the dual timeline -- honestly, this author knows how to make it work! The pacing between the present and the past -- the way she builds both storylines until they explode in a frenzy of 'aha' moments that rocked my reading socks right off. Phew!
Kailey
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I absolutely loved this book!! I got so into this book that I couldn’t put it down! I was so wrapped up in both storylines and trying to solve the mystery. This book had me on the edge of my seat, yet also almost had me in tears. It was so good! I highly recommend it!!

I received a complimentary copy from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.
Amanda Tero
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wright weaves a good tale which isn’t easily solved—something I personally like in a suspense novel. While this book still had darker tones to it, it wasn’t quite the same as Foster Hill, which deals with human trafficking. This was, rather, an almost-obsession over a cold-case murder.

I really enjoyed the two storylines from the past and present. I was just as into one story as the other. I feel she painted a very realistic picture of the aftermath of WWII and the soldiers.

There was a spiritual
Becca-Rae Weidel
I am officially dubbing Jaime Jo Wright the queen of Christian mystery & suspense. She has quickly found herself on my must-read author list and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I've read each of her novels so far and I've come to that point in my reading relationship with her books that I trust that even though she may take the reader into dark/creepy territory, she won't leave them there. She also makes sure that there is a faith-based take-away intricately woven in that manages to ...more
Rebecca
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Their voices will always echo, here, among the stones, . . .

A grandmother and a granddaughter; both consumed by sorrow, both living with regrets, both fighting to either hold on or to move on, both realizing that "grief can become its own prison, . . . once there, getting out is--nigh impossible". Can it ever be over? Will it ever be over?

Aggie Dunkirk arrives at her "Mumsie's" Wisconsin home following a career debacle, assuming that she will spend her unsolicited free time caring for an old
Loraine
This is the third book I have read by Jamie Jo Wright, and I really enjoyed the first two. But this one didn't flow as well for me. It is a split time between World War 2 and contemporary. Both story lines revolve around the murder of Helen Grayson.

I felt the pace in this novel was rather slow and left me feeling as though I would never get to the end of the story. I also felt the suspense was drawn out and didn't keep me riveted like her previous novels.

I did enjoy the three main characters:
Monica
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mystery abounds in Echoes Among the Stones by Jaime Jo Wright. This book fascinated me from the very beginning until the very last page.

Aggie Dunkirk heads to Mill Creek, Wisconsin to stay with her elderly grandmother, Mumsie, after losing her real estate job. Aggie takes what she thinks will be a mundane job as a secretary for a cemetery working with archaeologist Collin. Instead, she finds a lot of surprises in this small town--unsolved crimes and new crimes, relatives she didn't know she had,
Clara
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
It sounds redundant to say a Jaime Jo Wright book was intense, but, honestly, “Echoes Among the Stones” was intense! As one character wisely states, death is personal and so there is no way this book could have been different.

"There were voices here. Old voices hissing to be heard, tapped in the vault of time.

In her latest novel, Wright explores the theme of grief, that paralyzingly feeling that ravels you into a deep hole of darkness and fear. How do we climb out? How do we find hope? Better,
Paula Shreckhise
If Jaime Jo Wright were a FiveStar restaurant, her books would be an epicurean delight. Not only are they sumptuously written but they satisfy and feed our souls.
Ms. Wright understands human nature and she uses it to tell a remarkable tale full of mystery that haunts her characters.
Death and mourning are not easy topics to write about. In Echoes Among The Stones, Ms. Wright takes us through the characters’ grief and there is resolve and hope on the other side.
This is a dual-time story, so we
Erin Laramore
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jaime Jo Wright has done it again! This is another phenomenal dual timeline mystery novel that has you guessing till the very end! I thought I'd figured out the "big reveal" about a quarter of the way in, but when that reveal happened before the halfway mark, I knew there were bigger things coming!

This book follows Aggie in current times, who just lost her job and the one person she cared about most in the world. She comes back to small town, WI to take care of her grandmother in the midst of
Jen. (JenGalaxy4 Christian Book Reviews)
I can’t even begin to tell you how good this book is!

Echoes Among the Stones is a time-slip novel and the past blended so perfectly with the present, it never felt like I was reading two stories that might have a connection. It’s a true murder mystery. There are so many layers and twists, I had absolutely no idea where the story would take me next!

Echoes Among the Stones is also a deep and moving story about loss and grief, and how not one person copes with the effects the same as another.

It’s
Suzie Waltner
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Once again Jaime Jo Wright excels at creating a mystery spanning two ears that immerses readers in the plot. And in Echoes Among the Stones, she sets the story around a cemetery. Yet this book didn’t have as much as an eerie feel to me (but there were still plenty of questions to answer).
Wright has quickly become a must-read author for me because of the way she weaves themes seamlessly throughout her book. Her newest deals with grief and the different ways in which people grieve their losses.

In
Melissa
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is spellbinding! Jaime Jo weaves stories unlike any I have ever read and they are impossible to put down. Echoes is probably my favorite of hers so far. The mystery in this one pulled me in from the very first page and kept me guessing throughout, just when I thought I had it figured out, the next scene would change everything. If you like dual time stories and a fantastic mystery, give this one a try! You won't be disappointed!!

I received this book from the author and was not required
Maureen Timerman
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
A book that flashes between the present day and WWII time, between present losses and past loss of a loved one.
The book begins with the return of a Granddaughter and the lie of a Grandmother that she had broken her hip, but Aggie needed to come here, and there needed to be answers to the long-ago murder of a family member.
As the author presented the characters, I kept changing my mind as to who would have done the evil deed, but have to say I was very surprised when the answers finally came.
A
Alysha (For The Love of Christian Fiction)
I think this might be my favorite from Jaime so far!
5/5 stars!
Melissa
Jaime Jo Wright has mastered the art of dual timeline mysteries and Echoes Among the Stones is no exception. Personally, I have never been one to choose to read historical fiction because I prefer to read more contemporary fiction. However, I really enjoy reading stories like this one that connect the past to the present. Imogene and Aggie, the main characters of past and present, are such strong female characters. Imogene had discovered her sisters body in the attic of her family home in 1946 ...more
Fiction Aficionado
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jaime Jo Wright has delivered another atmospheric story for lovers of Gothic-style suspense—partly set in a graveyard, no less! But as well as delivering some chills and thrills, she also delivers a poignant story about the ways we process and deal with grief—or not, as the case may be. Not only is the historical storyline set in the immediate aftermath of World War II, as the young men who return from war try to settle back into civilian life, but both Imogene (historical setting) and Aggie ...more
Sonnetta
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books in this year. It was such a deep read. I enjoy reading this dual time-lined story. You’ll laugh and cry at the interactions between Mumsie and Aggie. You will view loss in a different way. The characters are captivating. I wanted to skip ahead to the ending because the suspense was killing me.

One of my favorite quotes from the book.

Rachel McMillan
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wonderfully deft treatise on how the sins of the past have future ramifications and framed in the marvelous world of archaeology. Literal metaphors of digging up the truth marry well with the themes of grace, redemption and ultimate justice.

With a strong faith message and intriguing characters as well as Wright's hallmark darkly atmospheric touch, Echoes Among the Stones proves that Wright has definitively carved out a new subgenre for herself in the realm of Christian fiction: that of a
Anne
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
'There was never a good time for Death to visit.'

Jaime Jo Wright is in a league of her own. Echoes Among the Stones held me captive with its deep story, fabulous mystery, and exceptionally well-written characters. I had several theories early on of which person was the killer, one of them being a long shot. In the end, it paid off. I had the correct killer but for the wrong reasons.

Dual-time stories have become some of my favorite to read. There are always lessons to be gleaned from the past
Jasmine
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The past, the present, and future, all bound by grief...

There are some reviews that are nearly impossible to write. Not because you dislike the book, but the exact opposite. Sometimes it's hard to rein in your thoughts and get them organized in a way that makes sense because some books are just so emotionally involving and thought provoking. Echoes Among The Stones is one of those books. You see, author Jaime Jo Wright takes on a topic that is all-consuming and not often delved into with such
Trixi
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Regardless of where faith may take us and what the good Lord has in store, we’ll never stop hearing their voices. The voices of the ones we’ve loved before. Their voices will always echo, here, among the stones, and in our hearts. It is how it was meant to be.

Jaime Jo Wright has the right stuff when it comes to writing dual timeline stories! Unlike her novels before this one, we know what event took place. She pieces the past with the present in a way that captures the reader and forcing them
Jessica Baker (A Baker's Perspective)
Wright gives readers a story that they will not be able to tear themselves away from in Echoes Among the Stones. From the very beginning I was hooked. Chapter One, for example, was pretty short. But Wright packs a punch in a short time, and I couldn’t tear myself away. For those of you who may need a little longer to get hooked, read chapter two. Mumsie and Aggie are almost like oil and vinegar. I feel like if I had a Mumsie in my life, I would always feel like I wasn’t good enough, and ...more
Nicole
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
With her trademark ability for weaving fascinatingly creepy tales of healing and forgiveness, award-winning author Jaime Jo Wright brings out the "creep factor" with skeletons, cemeteries, dead bodies, and a very unique dollhouse in her latest dual timeline novel, Echoes Among the Stones. The slower pace to the beginning of the story allows readers to start piecing together the various clues through many twists and turns, which leads to a surprising conclusion.

When she arrives in town to visit
Susan Snodgrass
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
'There was never a good time for Death to visit. There was never a time when Grief would leave.'

Jaime Jo Wright's debut novel a few years ago was a wonderful book and I determined to follow her and eagerly anticipated each novel. Her trademark dual time line novels are like reading two books at once. She is quite good at weaving these two stories together, while at the same time, creating very mysterious plots.

This time around, the story takes place in 1946 and the present day. A gruesome murder
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Deadly Deceit (Harbored Secrets, #2)
  • Seconds to Live (Homeland Heroes, #1)
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • End Game (Capital Intrigue, #1)
  • Always Look Twice (Uncommon Justice, #2)
  • The Bridge to Belle Island
  • The Major's Daughter (Fort Reno, #3)
  • A Pursuit of Home (Haven Manor, #3)
  • Hope's Highest Mountain (Heirs of Montana, #1)
  • Collateral Damage (Danger Never Sleeps, #1)
  • The Painted Castle (Lost Castle #3)
  • Protecting Tanner Hollow (Tanner Hollow, #1-4)
  • A Distance Too Grand (American Wonders Collection, #1)
  • Serving Up Love: A Harvey House Brides Collection
  • The Gray Chamber (True Colors)
  • One Final Breath (Dive Team Investigations, #3)
  • Aiming for Love (Brides of Hope Mountain, #1)
  • A Match for Emma (Mitchell's Crossroads, #3)
Daphne du Maurier and Christy Award-Winning author, Jaime Jo Wright resides in the hills of Wisconsin writing suspenseful, mysteries stained with history's secrets. Jaime lives in dreamland, exists in reality, and invites you to join her adventures at jaimewrightbooks.com!
“There was never a good time for Death to visit. There was never a time when Grief would leave.” 0 likes
“Grief isn’t wrong, but it can paralyze. It can thwart a life. A person can choose to let time stand still, and while they hold the pieces of the past, the hope of their future passes them by.” 0 likes