Start by marking “Echoes Among the Stones” as Want to Read:
Echoes Among the Stones

Echoes Among the Stones

After Aggie Dunkirk's career is unceremoniously ended by her own mistakes, she finds herself traveling to Wisconsin, where her grandmother, Mumsie, lives alone in her vintage, though very outdated, home. Aggie didn't plan for how eccentric Mumsie has become, obsessing over an old, unsolved crime scene--even going so far as to re-create it in a dollhouse.

Mystery seems to fo
Published December 3rd 2019 by Bethany House Publishers (first published December 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Echoes Among the Stones, please sign up.
Melissa I enjoy this author! Think Kate Morton with a good religious message that doesn't hit you over the head. Not sure why the low ratings, perhaps it's fr…moreI enjoy this author! Think Kate Morton with a good religious message that doesn't hit you over the head. Not sure why the low ratings, perhaps it's from those who don't like Christian mysteries. (less)

Start your review of Echoes Among the Stones
Jocelyn Green
I loved this dual timeline novel by Jaime Jo Wright! It wasn't as creepy as her previous works (and I mean creepy in the very best way) but was more of a puzzle, a cerebral and emotional journey that brings the reader face to face with the legacy grief can have, and with the hope that can overcome it. I especially enjoyed the development of Mumsie. Being able to see her character arc span decades brought a rich dimension and perspective to the tale. The ending was completely satisfying without b ...more
Deanne Patterson
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Deanne by: cnnamongirl@aol.com
Where's the option for more than five stars, I'd give it one hundred stars if I could .
How do I write a review for the best book I've read this year?
The dual time frame perfectly meshes old and new 70 years is but a drop in the bucket of time.
A 70 year cold case murder mystery begging to be solved , will there for justice for a young woman tragically murdered in the prime of her life.
70 years later a young woman fascinated with the historical case starts piecing together clues from the case and
Natalie Walters
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Aggie and Mumsie might be my favorite female duo EVER in a story!! I loved their characters so much and want to petition Hallmark Movies and Mysteries to make them an ongoing series!!

The twists and turns in this time split story will absolutely delight readers with the unique plot as well as tug on all the emotional strings as the mystery begins to unfold. I believe this is author, Jaime Jo Wright's, finest work and continues to make her my top recommendation for fans of historical, mystery, an
Lori
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think that this is the best book by Jamie Jo Wright ever!! Just wow!
Told by Imogene of the past and Aggie of the future. Almost had me confused but towards the end I began to figure it out! Just wowsers!!
Best story plot and wonderful characters that will keep you guessing until you can't believe who it is!
I really think the best part (well, maybe not best but still.....) was when Imogene's parents passed away within days of each other. I say this because it was a coincidence that my grandpa
Amanda Tero
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wright weaves a good tale which isn’t easily solved—something I personally like in a suspense novel. While this book still had darker tones to it, it wasn’t quite the same as Foster Hill, which deals with human trafficking. This was, rather, an almost-obsession over a cold-case murder.

I really enjoyed the two storylines from the past and present. I was just as into one story as the other. I feel she painted a very realistic picture of the aftermath of WWII and the soldiers.

There was a spiritual
Susan
Jaime Jo Wright is skillful at crafting dual timeline mysteries. I can always count on her stories to provide enough suspense and creepiness to keep me turning the pages. She has an incredible talent of building the suspense in both storylines, weaving the threads of both into a masterpiece of intrigue.

While Echoes Among the Stones story centers around an unsolved murder from 1946, it is also a story of grieving, and how grief has a way of stealing future happiness if one lets it. Imogene's gran
Farshana ❤️rainnbooks❤️
I am huge fan of dual time story lines with a mystery so when Echoes Among the Stones popped up on my recommendation list with a very interesting cover image of a cemetery, I was all for it.

Jaime Jo Wright writes beautifully and pleasures the reader with such lovely characters. Mumsie is 93 years old, grouchy, grumpy and persnickety. Her granddaughter Aggie has always had a difficult relationship with her but when circumstances and Mumsie’s lie forces Aggie to be with Mumsie, she finds out the
Kav
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm in a post-read I-can't-believe-that-happened / I-didn't-see-that-coming daze. Accompanied by a serious case of the 'boohoo-it's-all-over blues. In short -- I am stupefied so if this review doesn't make sense blame Jaime Jo Wright not me! :-)

First -- the dual timeline -- honestly, this author knows how to make it work! The pacing between the present and the past -- the way she builds both storylines until they explode in a frenzy of 'aha' moments that rocked my reading socks right off. Phew!
Kailey
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I absolutely loved this book!! I got so into this book that I couldn’t put it down! I was so wrapped up in both storylines and trying to solve the mystery. This book had me on the edge of my seat, yet also almost had me in tears. It was so good! I highly recommend it!!

I received a complimentary copy from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.
Alysha (For The Love of Christian Fiction)
I think this might be my favorite from Jaime so far!
5/5 stars!
Loraine
This is the third book I have read by Jamie Jo Wright, and I really enjoyed the first two. But this one didn't flow as well for me. It is a split time between World War 2 and contemporary. Both story lines revolve around the murder of Helen Grayson.

I felt the pace in this novel was rather slow and left me feeling as though I would never get to the end of the story. I also felt the suspense was drawn out and didn't keep me riveted like her previous novels.

I did enjoy the three main characters:
Brittany
What a story! I was captivated with finding out who Hazel's killer was from the very first page. And once I hit the halfway point in this book, I could hardly set it down! The author really kept me guessing until almost the very end. I did suspect various people throughout the book, much in the same way that Imogene did, however, there were so many questions I had as I considered each one and kept trying to determine motive and connections between everyone.

This was a very satisfying mystery, yet
Julia
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Echoes Among The Stones by Jaime Jo Wright is a marvellous dual timeline Christian suspense that will completely consume your heart, soul and emotions.
One character straddles the two timelines. She is a teen in 1946 and a grandmother in present day. The past intrudes on the present as old crimes need solving and laid to rest.
The novel is a study in raw grief as lives are suspended in a moment in time. No matter where you go, you cannot outrun grief. “Time healed no pain.” Two leading characters
Rebecca
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Their voices will always echo, here, among the stones, . . .

A grandmother and a granddaughter; both consumed by sorrow, both living with regrets, both fighting to either hold on or to move on, both realizing that "grief can become its own prison, . . . once there, getting out is--nigh impossible". Can it ever be over? Will it ever be over?

Aggie Dunkirk arrives at her "Mumsie's" Wisconsin home following a career debacle, assuming that she will spend her unsolicited free time caring for an old
Donna Hines
Feb 20, 2020 rated it liked it

After a setback Aggie travels to be with her grandma and takes a job as a secretary for a cemetery.
Nothing wrong here.
Unless ghosts start talking, bones start turning up, and the spirits start seeking answers to the past unsolved crimes while working alongside a hot to trot archaelogist.
Oh, darn...
In 1946, Imogene recalls her sister being found dead in the attic and it turns up quite a few memories which don't rest easy upon her.
With new technology and new insights she's determined to get justic
Lady Delacour
Listened with TTS.
Clean.
Slang Language.
Becca-Rae Weidel
I am officially dubbing Jaime Jo Wright the queen of Christian mystery & suspense. She has quickly found herself on my must-read author list and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I've read each of her novels so far and I've come to that point in my reading relationship with her books that I trust that even though she may take the reader into dark/creepy territory, she won't leave them there. She also makes sure that there is a faith-based take-away intricately woven in that manages to hit ...more
Monica
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mystery abounds in Echoes Among the Stones by Jaime Jo Wright. This book fascinated me from the very beginning until the very last page.

Aggie Dunkirk heads to Mill Creek, Wisconsin to stay with her elderly grandmother, Mumsie, after losing her real estate job. Aggie takes what she thinks will be a mundane job as a secretary for a cemetery working with archaeologist Collin. Instead, she finds a lot of surprises in this small town--unsolved crimes and new crimes, relatives she didn't know she had,
Hannah
I had a harder time getting into this book that Wright's previous novels. It took about 50 pages to finally grab me enough that I couldn't put it down. But then it was good and I got involved in the questions of how and why poor Hazel had been murdered.

Aggie and Collin were a really enjoyable lead couple, though honestly I wanted more screen time between the two of them. I didn't understand why Mumsie had to be to bitter toward her granddaughter and many of those scenes were very hard to read. N
Clara
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
It sounds redundant to say a Jaime Jo Wright book was intense, but, honestly, “Echoes Among the Stones” was intense! As one character wisely states, death is personal and so there is no way this book could have been different.

"There were voices here. Old voices hissing to be heard, tapped in the vault of time.

In her latest novel, Wright explores the theme of grief, that paralyzingly feeling that ravels you into a deep hole of darkness and fear. How do we climb out? How do we find hope? Better, w
Courtney Clark
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adored this split time mystery. Its deep themes of grief and family are balanced against a clever and suspenseful mystery that spans decades. I was equally caught up in the historical and contemporary timelines, puzzling how they would fit together. The atmospheric and almost-creepy things that happen are balanced by two strong heroines and their devotion to family.

I feel the need to devote a whole paragraph to Collin O’Shaughnessy. Collin, whose crisply ironed wardrobe, almost-British accent,
Amanda
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My puzzle loving self was totally entranced by this book and all the little pieces sprinkled along the path as the two story lines wove together. As I read about Aggie and Imogene’s life I totally enjoyed the “who done it?” element. I also loved the exploration of the generational effects of grief. Healthy grieving versus hanging on to what was so tightly that one cannot embrace the love in front of them. A tragic tale tinged with hope.
Kriste
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another unique, can't put down, book by Jaime Jo Wright!
Fiction Aficionado
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jaime Jo Wright has delivered another atmospheric story for lovers of Gothic-style suspense—partly set in a graveyard, no less! But as well as delivering some chills and thrills, she also delivers a poignant story about the ways we process and deal with grief—or not, as the case may be. Not only is the historical storyline set in the immediate aftermath of World War II, as the young men who return from war try to settle back into civilian life, but both Imogene (historical setting) and Aggie (co ...more
MJSH

Another thought-provoking and incredibly well-written split-time novel by Jaime Jo Wright! This book really delves into the process of grieving and the consequences of unresolved and unprocessed grief. It’s emotional, raw, and quite relatable. The characters Imogene from 1946 and Aggie from the present tim
Sandra
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Puzzle of Love and Grief

I really liked this beautifully written mystery about a granddaughter and a Grandmother, so much alike and both grieving a loss. Mysterious and chilling, as the story starts in the 40's and then modern time, sometimes one doesn't always know the secrets that families have and this book will keep you guessing until the end!
Paula Shreckhise
If Jaime Jo Wright were a FiveStar restaurant, her books would be an epicurean delight. Not only are they sumptuously written but they satisfy and feed our souls.
Ms. Wright understands human nature and she uses it to tell a remarkable tale full of mystery that haunts her characters.
Death and mourning are not easy topics to write about. In Echoes Among The Stones, Ms. Wright takes us through the characters’ grief and there is resolve and hope on the other side.
This is a dual-time story, so we
Erin Laramore
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jaime Jo Wright has done it again! This is another phenomenal dual timeline mystery novel that has you guessing till the very end! I thought I'd figured out the "big reveal" about a quarter of the way in, but when that reveal happened before the halfway mark, I knew there were bigger things coming!

This book follows Aggie in current times, who just lost her job and the one person she cared about most in the world. She comes back to small town, WI to take care of her grandmother in the midst of he
Faye
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
In between jobs, Aggie Dunkirk goes to stay with her grandmother in Wisconsin, and take a job working in the cemetery helping to restore it after a large flood.

In 1946 Imogene Grayson dreams of owning a beauty salon, but when she comes home to find her sister murdered, she vows to find the killer no matter what.

Two women's lives converge in Mill Creek, Wisconsin, centering on an old house and a murder that became the turning point of one woman's life. Aggie is at a crossroads in her life, havi
Jen. (JenGalaxy4 Christian Book Reviews)
I can’t even begin to tell you how good this book is!

Echoes Among the Stones is a time-slip novel and the past blended so perfectly with the present, it never felt like I was reading two stories that might have a connection. It’s a true murder mystery. There are so many layers and twists, I had absolutely no idea where the story would take me next!

Echoes Among the Stones is also a deep and moving story about loss and grief, and how not one person copes with the effects the same as another.

It’s
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Deadly Deceit (Harbored Secrets, #2)
  • Silent Shadows (Harbored Secrets #3)
  • Seconds to Live (Homeland Heroes, #1)
  • Veiled in Smoke (The Windy City Saga, #1)
  • A Mosaic of Wings
  • The House at the End of the Moor
  • Hadley Beckett's Next Dish
  • Set the Stars Alight
  • The Tea Chest
  • The Gray Chamber
  • More Than We Remember
  • Kings Falling (The Book of the Wars Book #2)
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • End Game (Capital Intrigue, #1)
  • Dead End (Kaely Quinn Profiler Book #3)
  • The Lost Lieutenant (Serendipity & Secrets #1)
  • Flight Risk
  • Stories That Bind Us
Daphne du Maurier and Christy Award-Winning author, Jaime Jo Wright resides in the hills of Wisconsin writing suspenseful, mysteries stained with history's secrets. Jaime lives in dreamland, exists in reality, and invites you to join her adventures at jaimewrightbooks.com!

News & Interviews

“There was never a good time for Death to visit. There was never a time when Grief would leave.” 0 likes
“Grief isn’t wrong, but it can paralyze. It can thwart a life. A person can choose to let time stand still, and while they hold the pieces of the past, the hope of their future passes them by.” 0 likes