Start by marking “Needles and Pearls (Jo Mackenzie, #2)” as Want to Read:
Needles and Pearls (Jo Mackenzie, #2)

Needles and Pearls

(Jo Mackenzie #2)

The warm and witty sequel to The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club Slip one . . .
Two weddings and a year after her husband's funeral, Jo Mackenzie is finally starting to get the hang of being a single parent. The boys are thriving, the yarn shop is doing well--thanks to Jo's improvements--and she's just about keeping her head above water. Knit two together . . .
B
Published August 4th 2008 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC

To ask other readers questions about Needles and Pearls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Needles and Pearls

Christi
Aug 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reads
I was charmed by this book. I was worried when I picked it off the new releases shelf at the library because I've been burned by other knitting books that were really shallow romance novels with characters that happened to knit.

Gil McNeil's writing style is crisp, concise and oh so comical. I laughed out loud many times reading this book. The last time that happened was either Bridget Jones or The Ya-Yas. The characters are engaging, quirky and genuinely like each other.

Though this book was a
bookczuk
Mar 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
I think what charms me about this series is the total and unapologetic flavor of life it brings. I love the discussions and grumbles about what the children want for tea time, a big galumphing dog, crusty old ladies, snooty "Better than they aught to be's", women with spirit, people with heart. That it's set around a wool shop in a British sea town, is just fine with me. It's got no major start or stop, though both this and the first book cycled through a number of daily life events. Everything' ...more
Lydia Laceby
Originally Reviewed at Novel Escapes

I loved Divas Don’t Knit, finding Gil McNeil a fresh voice in chick lit and loved the premise and the story. Unfortunately, I can’t say the same for Needles and Pearls and I wasn’t as pleased with this sequel as I had hoped to be.

Divas Don’t Knit began with Jo, newly widowed, starting over in a new town with her two boys, making friends and taking over her Grandmothers’s knitting shop. Quite a lot to overcome! In this sequel though, things stayed pretty much t
Leah
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was nice to be back in Broadgate. Seaside settings are wonderful. There are several beach scenes, which were delightful. Also, there were two weddings and a birth. I enjoyed the weddings, especially Ellen's. It was fun to read about but not what I want. Grace is also around quite a bit, and her scenes were as enjoyable in this book as they were in the previous book. Martin was helpful and charming. His barn renovation is intriguing. Also, he's got a dog now. That was a funny story. There was ...more
Caroline Prange
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Its a nice read. Sometimes a little boring but all in all good entertainment for knitters and woolaholics. ...more
Wallace
Dec 26, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wallace by: sent to me by publisher
Shelves: review-copy
In The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club, Gil McNeil introduced us to Jo Mackenzie. Having learned that her husband was cheating on her and was leaving her and their two sons, Jack and Archie, for his mistress was the first crushing blow of the night. The other? Having her husband die in a car accident within an hour after breaking the news and walking out on her. (We learn all of that on the back flap, so no need to throw rotten tomatoes at me for ruining the book.) What happens next ...more
Alice
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mlle Alice, pouvez-vous nous raconter votre rencontre avec Le Petit Magasin des Tricoteuses ?
"J'avais vraiment apprécié le premier tome et envisageais depuis un moment de lire la suite. D'ailleurs, il n'est même pas resté un seul jour dans ma PAL."

Dites-nous en un peu plus sur son histoire...
"Jo continue son petit bout de chemin dans sa nouvelle vie depuis la mort de son mari et commence à trouver ses marques. Mais un évènement inattendu va venir bouleverser tous ses plans..."

Mais que s'est-il
Agnes
Oct 07, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Agnes by: CP Library
Goodreads wouldn't work properly when I tried to add my review for this book a few weeks ago, so here it is. I sauntered into my local library to browse for a non-annoying chick lit book. These are hard to find, as chick lit heroines are usually either so dense or so truth-telling-challenged that I want to pull my hair out. On the other hand, once in a while, I really appreciate a book that I can just read without thinking a single serious thought, for pure relaxation. I was looking for somethin ...more
Jeanine
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book so much. It is the 2nd book in the Jo Mackenzie series. I read the first one, "The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club," & it was so enjoyable. I couldn't wait to read the next couple books in the series.

The first book begins with Jo Mackenzie, on moving day, after becoming a widow. She & her 2 young sons, Archie & Jack, ages 5 & 6, move close to her grandmother; & Jo takes ownership of the yarn store that had belonged to her grandmother. We met ma
Carissa
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult
didn't feel like paying for the kindle version of this, but liked this second book in the series just as much as the first one (although why the first one is titled, "Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club" when a)there is no "Beach Street" mentioned in the book and b)NOWHERE does it say anything about a "Knitting Society and Yarn Club" is a bit beyond me. But I suppose "The Stitch and Bitch at McKnits" probably wouldn't sell as many copies??), anyway, despite that one niggling complaint, I ...more
Myndi Shafer
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
BASIC PLOT: Heroine (Jo) is a single parent (from some seriously screwy circumstances). She's had one hot fling since the break (break really isn't the right word, but anything else will SPOIL IT), and an awkward date with a cute carpenter. Things get complicated with a movie-star sort-of friend, a handful of well-meaning old ladies, and one seriously (and hilariously) bitchy carpool mom.

WHY I PICKED IT UP: The cover caught my eye.

WHAT I LIKED ABOUT IT: It's a quirky story and I love me some qu
Dawn
Oct 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
I generally like the characters in this series (wish I had a Gran like that), but the kids sound like the worlds most spoiled and absolute brats. I sort of skim over those parts to get on with the story because it makes me want to cringe that a Mom would let her kids run over her like that. I have to agree with other reviewers, these books go nowhere very slowly, but it's knitting chick-lit so I bear with it and get it read. What can I say? I love knitting.
Janet Camilleri
Apr 09, 2016 rated it liked it
The second in a series, though it doesn't indicate that anywhere on the covers or end papers. I thought I recognised the setting and characters and sure enough, discovered that I've actually read number 3 in the series - Knit One Pearl One. However it was such a long time ago I don't really remember what happened. I found this book a little frustrating as it would have been better if I had read the books in order.
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
The coziness of the knitting shop in the seaside town continues. A fun drinking game would be to have a drink every time someone has a cup of tea or puts the kettle on. You'd be drunk within a chapter. Again, it was just as charming as the first one.
KarenLee
Sep 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-i-own
I just finished this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a light, fast read with lovely characters. The same characters and town as in Diva's Don't Knit (aka The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club) with a few new characters, weddings, babies and relationships.
Alesha Hubbell
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: want-to-own, knitting
Another delightful time in Jo's life of knitting, raising kids, and coping with the death of her husband. I very much enojoyed this book and look forward to the next installment. It has a very good balance of humor and drama and touching moments.
Laura Elliott Monroe
Pros: Pretty mindless read, very witty.
Cons: Not much about knitting, copious f-words, misery lit (yawn!).
The Bottom Line: It's a sequel, so treat it as such. Long, almost plodding read. Meh.

I'm an avid knitter and even have a knitting website, so my dear, sweet husband decided to purchase me this book when he saw it on the bookshelf.

I'm also a literature snob who rarely reads anything in contemporary fiction, regardless of the genre. What I was introduced to was not a good novel about knitting,
Nancy
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From time to time, I need to take a break from my usual murder/suspense/thriller books and visit the calmer sides of life. I cannot say that Jo Mackenzie's life of running a knitting shop in the seaside village of Broadgate and raising two bickering boys is calm, but it is definitely a break that I enjoy.

Jo’s philandering husband was killed in an accident right after he admitted to an affair and wanting a divorce. With the world, and his mother, not knowing the truth and thinking that he was a s
Gwendolyn Broadmore
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Needles and Pearls, by Gill McNeil invites you to cosy up with a blanket. Be prepared (alternatively) to have your heart-strings pulled, and your cheek muscles stretched. Jo Mackenzie, a recent widow, is an engaging and courageous main character. Her cheating husband dies in a violent car crash, after asking for a divorce, and wracking up the bills. Only Jo's Gran, and close friends know this. Nick's family think of him as an award winning father and husband. Our heroine eventually rallies; afte ...more
Bridget
Jun 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
This was an enjoyable read when I couldn't decide what I wanted to read.

Part of what I enjoyed about the first book in this series is that it wasn't a story about a woman whose husband had died, and her goal in life was to find love again. It wasn't sappy, and the main character was not perfect and lovely.

That continues in this book, when the main character, Jo, finds herself in a situation she never imagined, while life in the small town where she has moved with her young sons goes on. This boo
Tiffany
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was ok. I didn't find any real substance to it. It was interesting to read something set near London, but some of it annoyed me. Do the British really start sentences with "Only.."? For example, "Only so and so is coming by to..." And there was SO much tea! Seemed like every page or every other page had someone asking someone if they wanted tea or what they'd like to have with tea! And for some reason the author seemed to have a strange aversion to using exclamation points. Even with situatio ...more
Tara
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it
this is a good summer non-romance. I didn't read the first one, maybe that introduced the main character more. I didn't learn her name in this one until around page 30. there was a lot to relate to - feeling inadequate, worries about motherhood, hesitancy in the face of disasters - but the difference in the narration internally for Jo, and the way other people talk and think about her was so big it made it tough to figure her out. looking back I'd say she was a strong woman, but it didn't feel t ...more
JSidelinger
My head space right now is light reads with humor and starting over themes. The protagonist Jo Mackenzie is a character who if real would be someone whose friendship I would enjoy. I think the second book in the series is a bit contrived, however, the overall writing and humor saves it for me. I plan to finish reading the series because that is kind of an OCD thing for me... it is one of the reasons I am somewhat reluctant to start a series since I then feel compelled to read all.
Virginia Gavin
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book.It was a good story about a woman moving forward amidst life's obstacles,It takes place in a small town and includes a great cast of characters.It was told with a lot of humor.I laughed(and sometimes cried) throughout.If you like Maeve Binchy or Jean Grainger you will love this book too!
T
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just love stories that take place in a small town. It could be because I grew up in one and my values, and perspectives on community stem from having a fantastic childhood surrounded by amazing people. My favorite parts of this book was the interactions between the neighbors and friends. This book made me feel like I had fallen back into my childhood. Thank you.
Joan
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
A sweet, pleasant book about Jo McKenzie, her two sons and her friends and family in a small seaside town. She took over her grandmothers wool shop and develops it into more of a social network for all the town. Lots of references to knitting projects which show the author to be an experienced crafter.
Ruth
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was so enchanted with the first book about the hilarious Jo Mackenzie and her family and friends that I had to order the other two books in the series. Who knew a character owning a knitting shop and raising two exuberant young boys could be so much fun to read about?
Tricia
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Hard copy.

The 2nd in the series, and they really should be read in order to understand the characters. I really enjoyed this book and all the real-life complications that Jo goes through. Perfectly lovely.
Stephanie
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am literally sad this is the last of the three in this series. The characters, the town, the story are so incredibly charming. Perfect read to escape to, and it keeps me inspired to stay crafty in between reading (though I don’t knit, I crocheted three projects while I read this book!).
Patty
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Light reading, just a little too light. I was hoping for more knitting details and facts. Oh well got me through a day in bed with a bad cold.
  • How to Knit a Heart Back Home (Cypress Hollow Yarn, #2)
  • The Sweetgum Knit Lit Society (Sweetgum Knit #1)
  • Knit in Comfort
  • Knitting
  • Casting Off
  • Yarn Harlot: The Secret Life of a Knitter
  • Sweater Quest: My Year of Knitting Dangerously
  • Sunrise On Cedar Key
  • It Itches: A Stash of Knitting Cartoons
  • Crazy Aunt Purl's Drunk, Divorced, and Covered in Cat Hair: The True-Life Misadventures of a 30-Something Who Learned to Knit After He Split
  • KnitLit: Sweaters and Their Stories...and Other Writing About Knitting
  • A Stitch Before Dying (Black Sheep Knitting Mysteries, #3)
  • (It's a Purl Thing) (Chicks with Sticks, #1)
  • A Fatal Fleece (A Seaside Knitters Mystery, #6)
  • Spells & Stitches (Sugar Maple, #4)
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting Outside the Lines: Patterns, Stories, Pictures, True Confessions, Tricky Bits, Whole New Worlds, and Familiar Ones, Too
Gil McNeil is the author of the bestselling The Only Boy for Me, Stand By Your Man, In The Wee Small Hours and most recently Divas Don’t Knit. The Only Boy For Me has been made into a major ITV prime-time drama starring Helen Baxendale and was broadcast in 2007. Gil McNeil has edited five collections of stories with Sarah Brown, and is Director of the charity PiggyBankKids, which supports projects ...more

Jo Mackenzie (3 books)
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club (Jo Mackenzie, #1)
  • Knit One Pearl One (Jo Mackenzie, #3)
“She did, she really told her. She was pretty scary, actually,"

"The best women always are, love; you don't get to my age without realizing that.”
1 likes