Start by marking “The Plain Janes” as Want to Read:
The Plain Janes

The Plain Janes

(Janes #1-3)

Meet the Plain Janes--teenage artist activists on a mission to wake up their sleepy suburban town in this graphic novel bind up, perfect for fans of This One Summer and Awkward.

After getting caught in the midst of a terrorist attack on Metro City, artsy misfit Jane Beckles is forced to leave her beloved bustling metropolis for the boring suburb of Kent Waters. At first
Published January 7th 2020 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Plain Janes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Plain Janes

Start your review of The Plain Janes
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

This was so unexpectedly good and it warmed my heart in a way that a book hasn't in a long time. THE PLAIN JANES is one of those books that manages to be hip and empowering without feeling like it's being too heavy-handed, which is a rarity in this day and age. Jane Beckles is a cool, artsy girl suffering from PTSD from a bombing. She feels the world is going crazy, spinning out of control to dark forces, and it's made her jaded.

She and
Jessica
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book for free from The NOVL in exchange for an honest review.

Please note that since this is an ARC, it only includes the first 2 installments and a sneak peek at the third installment. Therefore, my review is based only on these parts.

I really liked this graphic novel and the story it told. The book deals with many relevant topics such as terrorism and PTSD. I was happy that the book didn’t shy away with showing the mental effects that terrorism has on people. Jane’s
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I was so bored, the characters are incredibly one-dimensional, and the main character is fairly unbearable most of the time. Pass.

Thank you so much to the Amazon Vine reviewer program for providing me with this ARC in exchange for an honest review!
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
Arc provided by HBG Canada. Definitely not for me. This one read as a sad moppy story about misfits who changes the school with art.
Olivia
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: other-reviews
THE PLAIN JANES is a YA graphic novel that celebrates friendship and art. The book is in two parts for the first two graphic novels originally published years ago. THE PLAIN JANES tells of how Jane came to Kent Waters, a small town, found a group she wanted to call her own and began the PLAIN movement (People Loving Art In Neighborhoods). The second, JANES IN LOVE, continues this storyline as well as goes into the romances that the Janes have, centered around the Ides of March dance, where girls ...more
Steven R. McEvoy
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been waiting years for the third Janes story. It is now coming out in an incredible 3 in 1 volume. A great conclusion to the series. Full review below.
This is a book nearly a decade in the making. Cecil and Jim collaborated on the first two Janes stores in 2007 and 2008. And had a third planned. And it never happened. I interviewed Cecil in 2010 and the working title of a third story at that point was Janes Go Summer. In this finally released three in one edition the title of the third
Andria Sedig
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
I received a copy of this from the Novl via Goodreads and am so glad that I did. I don't keep up with graphic novel releases and this book was so cute. I loved the exploration of grief and overcoming trauma. I loved the role that art played in these stories. The art style was really cute as well. Highly recommend these graphic novels!
Kales
What an interesting book about art and friendship. I really enjoyed this story. It was unique and cute. I thought it also had a great look on PTSD. The relationship with the mother was also complicated and I appreciated that element as well.

My only complaint is that it felt a little unrealistic. I don't know what it was about the whole thing but it just seemed like something that couldn't really happen. The teens were great and I loved the symbolism of the whole "Art Saves". But it just didn't
Daphne
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC from TheNovl for an honest review.

This book is a graphic novel bind-up of volumes 1-3, but the ARC only has volumes 1-2 ("The Plain Janes" and "Janes in Love") with a sneak peek of volume 3, "Janes Attack Back" and is in grayscale while the finished copy will have color. The novel mainly follows Jane Beckles, who moves from a big city to a suburban area after being in the midst of a terrorist attack in the city. She suffers from PTSD and struggles with seeing the good and
Mari Johnston
Dec 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This review and many others can also be found at Musings of a (Book) Girl.

Content Warnings: terrorist attacks (bombing, anthrax poisoning), PTSD, anxiety, paranoia, depression, agoraphobia, hospitals, homophobia, bullying, sexism

The Plain Janes have been around for over ten years but this is the first time the installments are be all together in one binding. This was also my first experience with these characters and the story.

When it comes to the characters, I wasn’t in love with any other than
Bill O'driscoll
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This fine graphic novel about a group of high school girls who form a guerilla-art club in their suburban town actually compiles the first two installments, from 2007 and 2008, respectively, with a new, third book whose completion was delayed over a decade ago when the publishing imprint abruptly folded. It's fun to watch the four "Janes" go on their respective journeys through all four years of high school, even as other key characters -- the "main Jane"'s parents, assorted friends, love ...more
Shelby
Dec 08, 2019 rated it liked it
This was such an inspiring read. I’m not a huge graphic novel fan, but this one had such a good message. The exploration of art and its impact on both creator and viewer is done in a beautiful way. There is also discussion of modern-day controversies that impacted Jane and her reasoning and motivations; these were done really well too. The illustrations throughout were amazing and supported the story so well. Because of my inexperience with graphic novels and familiarity with novels, I felt like ...more
Christina  G.
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
I really loved The Plain Janes. I don’t typically read graphic novels so I wasn’t sure what to expect when I started reading this. I was pleasantly surprised by how quickly the book pulled me in. This is a heartfelt story with fantastic artwork that adds another level to the emotions and plot. The Janes are all very different but work so well together. I really loved that it has such a strong message about hope, standing up for what you believe in and finding your tribe.

I was gifted a free copy
Jen
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read the first volume of The Plain Janes when it came out a whole bunch of years ago, but never got around to reading the second. Now it has a third volume out and they bundled all three into one big, awesome read.

I really love the art activism and the heart they put into it. Love. It. I only deducted a star because for some reason in the third volume Theater Jane only talks in literary quotes and I was frustrated that they took away her voice.

Otherwise, love.
Barbra
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This first instalment graphic novel that I received as an ARC contains two stories that follow the Plain Janes as they as they tackle high school, friendships and love, while trying to make their artistic mark on the town. All named Jane and sitting at the reject table, they each have their own gifts; brains, sports, theater and art. A fun page-turner about fitting in yet standing out, for readers aged 12 and up.
Teresa
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
A cute, thought provoking graphic novel about dealing with trauma, finding yourself and finding your tribe of people. Art is a huge focal point for the characters in the book and it was fun to see this group of seemingly different people bond and forge friendships over art and what it means to them.
Dani Amaya
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I very much enjoyed this book. It definitely makes me wish for a different time, different world even. I really loved the merging of mental health with art along side a more modern conversation on the state of the world. The comic is both incredibly smart and fun.
Ashley
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, 2020
*3.75*
Isobel
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Pretty good. I liked the story line, but I think I'm just not a big graphic novel person.

Recommend if you like graphic novels.
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, physical-2019
Adorable! Loved this and will have my review up soon
Kierstynloren
Dec 28, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5
Billie
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a review of the edition coming in January 2020 which will include The PLAIN Janes, Janes in Love and Janes Attack Back (only a portion of which was included in the ARC). I remember reading the first Janes book and thinking it was fine, but not caring enough to read JiL when it was released. And, you know, it's still not awesome. There is a lot of good stuff, but the supporting Janes tend toward stereotypes rather than actual characters and the adults don't fare any better. It's also ...more
˗ˏˋ maddie ˊˎ˗
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
full disclosure: i received an arc at comic con.

this was so hopeful and happy. people finding their people is a favorite trope of mine and it was so rewarding to see how their collective grew, even outside the Janes, picking up more and more outsiders who needed a place to plant and grow. the world being what it is, kindness is always a boon to stumble on and that's definitely the essential heart of this story.
Jordan
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, bookstore
Im not really that into graphic novels but I thought this book was really cute I enjoyed it. It was a quick read and after reading it I wanted to read more. I read the Arc so it wasn’t fully done but I will definitely pick it up when it comes out.
☼ rachel ☼
Megan
Jan 18, 2020
Goodreads Librari...: The PLAIN Janes omnibus 3 217 Dec 05, 2019 11:45AM

• Throw Like a Girl
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Subtle Knife  (His Dark Materials, #2)
  • Wonder Woman: Warbringer (the Graphic Novel)
  • The Beast of Beswick (Everleigh Sisters, #1)
  • Ziggy, Stardust and Me
  • The Toll (Arc of a Scythe, #3)
  • The Runaway Princess
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Scythe (Arc of a Scythe, #1)
  • Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
  • Jane Anonymous
  • Goldie Vance: The Hotel Whodunit
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Supernova (Renegades, #3)
  • As Old As Time (Twisted Tales #3)
  • We Met in December
  • A Gift for Drenol (Ice Planet Barbarians, #16.5)
Cecil Castellucci is an author of young adult novels and comic books. Titles include Boy Proof, The Year of the Beasts (illustrated by Nate Powell), First Day on Earth, Rose Sees Red, Beige, The Queen of Cool The Plain Janes and Janes in Love (illustrated by Jim Rugg), Tin Star Stone in the Sky, Odd Duck (illustrated by Sara Varon) and Star Wars: Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure.

Her short

Janes (2 books)
  • The Plain Janes (Janes, #1)
  • Janes in Love (Janes, #2)