Start by marking “Initiated: Memoir of a Witch” as Want to Read:
Initiated: Memoir of a Witch

Initiated: Memoir of a Witch

Smoke Gets in Your Eyes meets Women Who Run With The Wolves in this "gorgeously written, fierce, political, personal, and deeply inspiring" (Michelle Tea) memoir about finding meaning, beauty, and power through a life in witchcraft.

An initiation signals a beginning: a door opens and you step through. Traditional Wiccan initiates are usually brought into the craft through a ceTea)
Published October 22nd 2019 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Initiated, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Initiated

Start your review of Initiated: Memoir of a Witch
Leah Dieterich
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The right book for this moment. Yates Garcia shows us how to rise up against patriarchy in our thinking and living and inspires us to re-enchant a world that feels cursed.
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Opinions are my own.

I really enjoyed this memoir. Garcia has writing chops that are strongest when she’s describing landscapes, which thankfully she does often. Her reverence for the natural world is palpable, as is her devotion to social justice, anti misogyny and anti capitalism. She’s also extremely well-read in the history of myths, witchcraft, and folklore from many parts of the world, and I really like the c
Amanda Harlowe
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a privilege to have been gifted an early copy by Grand Central– this book BLEW ME AWAY. INITIATED features a deft interweaving of Garcia’s vast esoteric and cultural knowledge with her captivating personal story of trauma, self-discovery, empowerment, and metamorphosis. I was astounded by Garcia’s spellbinding, nimble, gorgeous prose (particularly its supernatural ability to carry me away from a crowded Friday night Amtrak car with broken air conditioning). This is THE memoir for all the wi ...more
Mary Lowry
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amanda Yates Garcia is an intellectual giant. This book is riveting and beautifully written and also acts as a guide for readers seeking to engage in magic as a route to personal empowerment. I cannot recommend this book enough!
Zandria Senft
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this beautiful memoir down. I fell in love with Amanda's story about the magical life she leads and how she uses that magic to find herself. The detail Yates goes into describing her life, rituals and initiations makes you feel as though you are experiencing the same things with her. This book will inspire you to be brave in any way you can. This book is exactly what the world needs!
Natali
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s hard to explain exactly what this book is so I will just throw around some adjectives while I digest, having just finished it an hour ago. It is: unique, brave, erudite, inspiring, raw, and real.

It is a feminist anthem from a daughter and a leader but that is almost a byproduct. It seems she set out to write memoir to share her experiences of learning her power through personal pain. But along the way, she learned to spiral herself up into the empowered witch she would eventually become th
Kate
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Bewitching Read! Garcia lives her life as a modern witch. She takes the reader through her journey of being Initiated onto this path. Garcia unpacks so much in these pages, Memories, Mythology, Trauma, Self-Discovery, Empowerment and more! Her writing is strong and decisive. This is one of thoes memoirs that really shows what the human spirit can endure and what it looks like to come out the otherside.

A reccomended memoir, and especially if you have ever been curious about the prac
Margaret Wappler
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review forthcoming but for now: what a beautiful gift of a book.
SUSAN   *Nevertheless,she persisted*
Need to process this book.
Suzanne
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Beyond the sheer amount of trauma in this book (suffering as initiation), it's written in lengthy paragraphs that meander.
For example, the author will start each chapter with a quotation and then talk about part of her induction into witchcraft and the growth of her practice, but it's not linear. So she's walking us through her practice and what it means, how it developed, etc... but then she'll take a break to talk about her past. This is a little confusing, but what made it difficult for
Sharon
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed parts of it very much, but when it drifted into feminism and other politics, not so much.

this was a goodreads giveaway
Kate Mercier
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the witch memoir I’ve been waiting for all my life. That it came from a peer (we’re close in age and our lives have some overlap) makes it all the more special to me.

This is not an unfamiliar story, and I realize now that Amanda Yates Garcia is not an unfamiliar person to me. From afar, she’s the famous Oracle of Los Angeles, a very popular and well regarded witch. She’s been on the TV! But in reading this book, I’m realizing that she could have been me, or one of my friends, or all of
Anna
Sep 27, 2019 rated it liked it
An interesting read, and an important book of a female witchy voice. Something we need right now, with the toxic patriarchy running wild. Some quibbles: I think it's too long. I think the narrative thread meanders and repeats itself, and I wish there was more research in its place. I also don't love the narrator's voice. It feels weird to say this, but the narrator, to me, is not the easiest to like at time - occasionally veering into 'holier than thou' territoy. It feels, also, like sometimes t ...more
Jeffrey Chassen
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I had seen Amanda’s appearance on Tucker Carlson and then on Vanderpump Rules. She seems incredibly approachable, kind and normal. So I had very high hopes for this book, but I was sadly disappointed. The formatting of the book was a mess, and it’s filled with so many rarely referenced terms and mythology that it was very hard to get through. Her television appearances have always been so great because they present witchcraft palatable and understandable. This just felt like it was solely aimed ...more
Abby Rubin
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
ARC from Publisher

This book is an interesting introduction to the life of someone living as a modern witch. Yates Garcia has such a long and winding path to get where she is at the time of writing the book. If "memoir" wasn't on the cover, I would be hard-pressed to believe that one person could live through all of the experiences she had. I feel like this book just scratches the surface of her powers and her story. I would have loved to learn more about modern witchcraft and what it
Claire
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful magical memoir from one of my favorite witches. Amanda’s writing is so poetic and evocative, and she is so vulnerable about her life story. This reads like an Alice Hoffman or Francesca Lia Block novel but it’s a true story. I loved the weaving of myths and stories from the ancients as well as some beautiful ideas on how to “re-enchant the world”.
Brandie
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Half memoir and half self help for witches. I thought it was pretty interesting, her life definitely has had her hellscape. If you’re looking for something to relate to in ways you didn’t think it’d be possible, I recommend this book. Thank you to Netgalley for allowing me to read and review this book.
Rhiannon Johnson
Oct 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: october-2019
[I received a copy of this release from the publisher in exchange for an honest review]

With Halloween on the horizon, witches are prevalent in decorations (like my framed Hocus Pocus song), memes, and spooky stories, but "Initiated: Memoir of a Witch" by Amanda Yates Garcia (releasing 10/22/19) is a story of "true" witchcraft--one woman's story of her lifelong practice of Wicca.
Aja
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Having read about 5 memoirs this year, I'm through. I'm not that interesting in people's childhoods. I thought this would be interesting for the intersection of witchcraft and memoir. I'm not sure I believe the author's entire story. However, I found there were profound treasures of wisdom hidden in this book that really spoke to me. I hope the author writes more - nonfiction.
Jena
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deeply engrossing, relatable, and inspiring.

A work of inspiring vulnerability and honesty. Sharing the truth of things is how we remake the world. Blessings and thanks to Amanda Yates Garcia for this brave book.
Gloria
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you for an advanced copy. I appreciated not only the witches experiences/life lessons as well as discussions on the traditions/difficulties of being a witch.
Alex
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Tedious. Ms. Yates Garcia needs a lesson in correct use of “who” and “whom.”
Christianne Hedtke
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is GORGEOUS - I’ve never read anything quite like it, but Yates Garcia seamlessly blends memoir, myth, poetry, and how-to witchcraft into one magickal potion! Highly recommend!
Lisa Basile
Nov 04, 2019
Kelly Webb
Kristina
« previous 1 3 next »
“In our travels through the underworld, witches become map makers. Culture, art, the mystery religions, these systems of symbols are maps. Somebody has to create them. Our musicians and healers, poets and witches, travel through the corridors of the underworld by torchlight. We were not wrong to descend into these caves, but for our own sakes, for the peace of mind of those we love and for the sake of the planet, we who travel there must not get lost. We can join our lights together and return to the world. We can use our symbols, our stories, our mystical methodologies to forge connections with each other in these underground spaces. Symbols and stories order our world; they create the narratives by which we live. It matters whose stories get told; it matters how we tell them. Imagination matters. Our connections to one another matter, as does the pleasure we take in our experience. Witches stand in solidarity with those already doing this work. Because people have been doing this work since humans first appeared on the surface of the earth. Now we listen to them, we participate, we use techniques of the healer, the poet, the artist, the scholar, the cunning folk, the green men, and the medicine women to heal ourselves and care for our wounded world.” 0 likes