Start by marking “Disgraceland: Musicians Getting Away with Murder and Behaving Very Badly” as Want to Read:
Disgraceland: Musicians Getting Away with Murder and Behaving Very Badly

Disgraceland: Musicians Getting Away with Murder and Behaving Very Badly

From the creator of the popular rock 'n' roll true crime podcast, DISGRACELAND comes an off-kilter, hysterical, at times macabre book of stories from the highly entertaining underbelly of music history.

You may know Jerry Lee Lewis married his thirteen-year-old cousin but did you know he shot his bass player in the chest with a shotgun or that a couple of his wives died
Published October 1st 2019 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Disgraceland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Disgraceland

Start your review of Disgraceland: Musicians Getting Away with Murder and Behaving Very Badly
Moira
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Disgraceland is one of my favorite pods so this book was highly anticipated for me. The authors voice comes through just as strongly as it does on the pod. I do wish more women had been featured and maybe more conspiracy theories addressed. These are the nitty gritty stories of music history that make you crave more.
Lance Lumley
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
This book covers several zany and strange acts from musicians, from Elvis to death metal band Mayhem. The author discusses how acts like Jerry Lee Lewis got away with murder, along with the last night of Sam Cooke's life. The author ties fiction into the true stories,by giving the reader dialog of what may have happened the time of the crimes, along with tying all the stories to the next chapter on a different star at a different time. Although the language is pretty strong, the writing is ...more
Erin Mbugua
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it
From one of my favourite podcasts, comes an equally as entertaining book. I loved the way tales were weaved together. I was left wanting so much more
Katie Smith
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Holy shit.
Lynn
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Today’s post is on Disgraceland: Musicians Getting Away with Murder and Behaving Very Badly by Jake Brennan. It is 272 pages long and is published by Grand Central Publishing. The cover is grey with faux mugshots of the musicians inside on it. The intended reader is someone who is interested in true crime and music history. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the dust jacket- You may know Jerry Lee Lewis married his thirteen-year-old cousin but did you know he shot his bass player in the chest
Tim Niland
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Disgraceland started out as a podcast covering the dark side of popular music, sort of a musicians behaving badly, and over forty or so episodes it's really caught a wave, Brennan has a great speaking voice, part "I'm letting you in on a secret" and part "can you believe this shit?" that makes for great radio, or podcasting which is where all the good radio is these days anyway. This book is sort of an expanded edition of some of his greatest hits, so he'll expound upon his original script from ...more
Ursula Johnson
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
Musicians Behaving Badly Indeed

This was an introspective account of several leading figures in rock, particularly focusing on events that changed careers and lives. The approach here is getting inside their heads and offering an account of pivotal events. I read this book using immersion reading while listening to the audio book, which was read by the author. He has a lovely, expressive voice. This book pulls no punches, it contains language and descriptive drug use, so it's not for the kiddies,
Maggie
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I heard that my favorite podcast was getting a book I knew I had to pick it up. The book has chapters that overlap with episodes from the podcast and I wish it didn't because I would like to read about new artists. However, I do think that the musicians in the book that overlap with the podcast were chosen well and for a reason.
Jake Brennan has such a depth to his writing and after hearing the podcast, it's amazing how much his voice brings the words to life. His storytelling abilities are
Chris Jaffe
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: entertainment
Part of me wants to give it 3 stars, as it's often a rehashing of many well-known stories, told in a rather schlocky manner.

.... But, some of these stories I'd never heard before. (Especially about Jerry Lee Lewis, and some of the possible background of Col. Tom Parker). It generally does a good job with them --- and I did devour the book pretty quickly. So, yeah, if I'm being honest I have to give it that extra star.
Sim Ellis
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love how Jake Brennan tells a story therefore I knew I’d have to listen to this book instead of read it. I loved how the story came full circle at the end....the only thing I wished was they were new stories a lot of the material was used from his podcast but still it was an intense great listen. I hope Jake writes more, his ability to paint a picture in your mind with his words is his gift that makes the reader and listener wanting more.
rob
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Disturbing source material strung together in an interesting way, written like a podcast in print form which I guess it is? Anyway, I skimmed over some bits and didn't enjoy some of the sordid pieces but I learned some good mythology about musicians and genres I enjoy and that made it worth the read.
Jeff
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Even though I know most of these stories I really enjoyed Jake Brennan's insight and also the was he segued from chapter to chapter making some of the artists and stories seem connected in a way. It's a quick read and really flows well. I hope he comes out with another book with others musicians.
Libby
Meh. Geared more towards true crime tourists than rock n roll scholars, this book felt more like a rehash than the deep dive I was hoping for. Entertaining in parts, but not what I would consider unmissable by any stretch.
Kathleen
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
The title is sufficient warning of the content. The mixture of reporting known facts with the fictional depiction of stars' inner lives/emotions is a bit jarring ___ a bit like witnessing a car crash and speculating on what the drivers were thinking. Mesmerizing, though....
Cait
Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
This was fun, but Jake's voice really does work better as a podcast than in writing.
Karen
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Weirdly entertaining
emily [coffeeandwashitape]
An interesting read that I would have enjoyed a whole lot more if there if there hadn’t been so much fatphobia and also the way the author talks about drug addiction is... not great.
Maura Jones
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this! It was a fun combination of true crime and rock history.
Jacquelyn LaVaque
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shocking, informative and extremely entertaining. Love this guy's podcast and the book is a great intro to his storytelling style.
Mark Bunch
Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: music-star-bio
Enjoyed thsi book some. I have read the materia before but it a good book for the new fan.
Daniel Kelly
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good, but not great. I didn’t especially like some of the writing, but I found the stories fascinating. I’m definitely going to check out this podcast, though.
Ross Siegel
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cool book from a great podcast

Disgracand is so much fun. I love how Jake tells stories of rockers behaving badly. Great read and highly recommended podcast.
Kurt Basham
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime, history, music
I found this book through the author's podcast. It's a fascinating podcast and an excellent book. Jake Brennan has a distinctive voice that comes through in book form just as it does in his podcast.
Christina
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
I listened to the audiobook, which was just like listening to the podcast. It's exactly what I expected.
Alex Costa

• Jack & Sadie
  • Chase Darkness with Me: How One True-Crime Writer Started Solving Murders
  • The Second Home
  • Body Of Proof
  • The Less People Know About Us: A Mystery of Betrayal, Family Secrets, and Stolen Identity
  • Janis: Her Life and Music
  • A Dream About Lightning Bugs: A Life of Music and Cheap Lessons
  • Midnight Son
  • Outgrowing God: A Beginner’s Guide
  • Weight Expectations (Cipher Office, #1)
  • Beautiful on the Outside
  • Sorted: Growing Up, Coming Out, and Finding My Place (A Transgender Memoir)
  • Sweat the Technique: Revelations on Creativity from the Lyrical Genius
  • The Athena Protocol
  • A Mind Unraveled
  • Little Weirds
  • American Predator: The Hunt for the Most Meticulous Serial Killer of the 21st Century