Start by marking “No Room for a Pup!” as Want to Read:
No Room for a Pup!

No Room for a Pup!

Mia wants a dog more than anything. But according to her mom, there is just NO ROOM in their very small apartment. Then one day, when she and her grandma are visiting a friend who is giving away puppies, Mia falls in love with a small spotted pup who crawls into her lap. She knows she just has to convince her mom to let her keep him! With help from Grandma --- and some of ...more
Expected publication: October 1st 2019 by Kids Can Press

To ask other readers questions about No Room for a Pup!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Room for a Pup!

sue
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-books
I loved the energy in this book, loved the colourful illustrations and how most children want a pet.

It’s not always convenient or justified to get one though!

The Mother says no, and explains why but this devious child asks her Grandmother.

Ok that’s real.

But what I am concerned with is the fact that a parent is going to read this to their child.
Children are sponges they soak up plenty of what you teach them, and equally plenty of what you don’t !

When the Grandmother gets involved that’s the pro
Etienne
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
1,5/5. Even if some part of it might be funny for children, I find the story just mildly entertaining and the message in it resonate in a strange way in my mind, not so sure I agree with it.
La Coccinelle
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, children, arc
On the surface, this seems like a cute story about a girl who really wants a dog. But I felt distinctly uncomfortable while reading this. Why? Because it basically advocates a "no-means-push-harder" attitude.

Mia doesn't accept the fact that her mom says that there's no room for a dog in their tiny apartment. That should've been the end of it. But the kid conspires with her grandmother to cause chaos, undermine her own mother, and manipulate her into changing her mind. There are all sorts of conv
Mehsi
I received this picture book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

A sweet girl wants a little puppy, but will she get it or will she have to keep dreaming? Is there room for a pup?

Review to come in September.
Lacy
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A modern retelling of a Yiddish folktale, No Room for a Pup! is a cute laugh-out-loud story of a young girl who really wants a puppy but her mom says there just isn't enough room. With the help of Grandma, of course chaos proceeds.
First of all, YES to any and all retellings in Children picture book form! I laughed the entire time reading this book and it reminded me of how I used to con my parents into getting/keeping pets and how my Grandma was always on my side and supporting my crazy ideas. S
Rachel
*thank you to Netgalley, Kids Can Press and the author for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

4 stars.

Well! This book makes me feel like I was a pretty dumb kid! It made me laugh. At the end, my first thought was, "Mia came up with that whole plan herself?!" Yep. I was a stupid child because I'd never have thought up such a brilliant plan! And it worked too! Mia and Grandma secretly work together to try and show Mia's Mother that they can indeed fit a puppy into their apartment
Debbie Smith
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don’t usually choose a book by its cover . . . okay, who’s kidding who? I do let the cover influence me, and that’s the exact reason I’m reviewing this book. I fell in love with the dog on the cover.

That being said, the book brought about a love/dislike relationship for me. I absolutely adored the artwork. But the story left me cold and a bit confused as to whether I really liked it or not.

When Mia asks about a pet, her mom tells her that their apartment is very small and that there is no room
Steff Pasciuti
So, No Room for a Pup by Elizabeth Suneby and illustrated by Laurel Molk is a good/bad story. On the one hand, it's a really cute tale about a little girl who wants a puppy in her life, but on the other, it's a slightly problematic tale about a kid and her grandmother who go behind the backs of parents and reasonable logic all for the emotional desire of having a dog.

The book follows young Mia as she requests and mulls over her desire for a dog. Of course, as she and her family live in a rather
Storywraps
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everyone loves a puppy but when Mia asks her mom over and over again if she can have one the answer is always the same..."There's just NO ROOM. Not even for one pint-sized pup." Their apartment is small and mom has put her foot down and said no.

Every morning before school Mia goes down the hall to her grandma's apartment for breakfast. One day Mia spies a sign in the elevator announcing: "Puppies to good homes!" Apartment 202."

She convinces Grandma to take her to have a peek at the new litter
Vonda
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mia wanted a little pup more than anything. Her mom said there was absolutely no room in their small apartment for a pet of any kind. Mia and grandma cook up a plan to change her mom’s mind. They offer to pet sit for all their neighbors and friends. The apartment is bedlam with a rabbit, a parrot, a dog, a cat, and even a pig! When all the pets go home, mom sees how easy one little pup will be.

The illustrations in this book are the real highlight. Multiple textures and patterns are used througho
Josephine
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every kid wants a dog, right? Mia is no exception. She wants a dog more than anything. But according to her mom, there is just NO ROOM in their very small, but big city apartment. One day, Mia and her grandma go visit a friend who is giving away puppies. Of course Mia falls in love and it’s with a small spotted one who crawls into her lap. Now she just has to convince her mom to let her keep him! Witty grandma has a sly plan. She contacts some of her pet-owning friends who bring over their pets ...more
Theediscerning
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Hmmm… An energetic little book, taken from a Yiddish folk tale apparently, that has a little bit of the growing-list format, but one that doesn't actually ring true. A girl and her grandma inundate the flat with animals and chaos so that the generation in between, the girl's mother, is persuaded that having a little puppy dog around is actually no bad thing. But the dog just turns up out of nowhere at the end, and as the book immediately implies, a small puppy does not mean a small dog. So while ...more
Tanja
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely adorable picture book that will surely be a big hit with all pet-loving young readers, and in particular those that haven't been able to convince their parents yet to allow them to keep one. The book will especially resonate well with readers who live in a small apartment in a big city, like the protagonist. The story is a creative and humerous spin on a Yiddish folktale. I especially appreciated the diversity of the characters in the book, the beautiful accompanying illustrations ...more
Flora
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I am in two minds about this book. Yes, beautifully illustrated with wonderfully expressive faces on the characters. Yes, a growing list of repetitions that kids love because they can recite it easily after one or two reads. What makes me reluctant to give this book more than three stars is the message that this story conveys. Is it okay to go through elaborate and manipulative means to get your parent to agree to something that they are against?

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for this
Sue
Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it
The illustrations are amazingly adorable. I love that Mia and her grandmother plan together to convince Mom to let Mia get a puppy. It reminded of me and my beloved grandma, trying to convince my mother to let me adopt a puppy. I just wish the book was a bit longer and we got to read more of Mia and her grandmother. Special thanks to Netgalley and Kids Can Press for an ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.
Reading Mom.me
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations in this book our absolutely adorable and my 4 year old animal lover was completely engaged in this book the whole time. Definitely a new favourite bedtime Story!
Mia wants a puppy but mom says no way so Mia with the help of her grandma come up with a plan to convince Mom that one pint size puppy won’t take up to much room!

Thank you Net Galley and Kids Can Press for this ARC in exchange for my honest review
joyce w. laudon
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a delightful story about a young girl who wants a dog. Almost every reader and/or listener will relate. They will either identify with the little girl who wants a puppy or the mom who is saying no. Adults will guess the ending, children will be delighted and all will enjoy the illustrations...especially the last page of the book. A cute story for young (or older) pet lovers. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this read in exchange for an honest review.
Andrew
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This charming book is chaotic in the way many classic favorites tend to be-- gradually increasing, with the busy yet delightful illustrations to match. When Mia's mother says their apartment is too small for a dog, she and her grandmother come up with a plan... to babysit so many animals that one little puppy looks like no trouble at all! This is sure to become a favorite among both readers young and old.
Barbra
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mia wants a pup but mom thinks there is no room in their small apartment. In an attempt to prove mom wrong, Mia and Grandma make a plan. They invite guests over with all their pets. After the chaos of too many animals, when they all go home the apartment feels big. However one little pup remains. Mom gives in and says yes to Spot. A funny story with a laugh out loud ending.
Megan Schmelzer
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love, love this story! No Room for a Pup! is adorable, and it will touch your heart as you cheer Mia, the main character, on in her mission to convince her mom to let her have a puppy in the house. With the help of her grandmother, Mia comes up with a plan that will put mom's main argument that there is "no room for a dog" away for once and for all.
Debbie Tanner
This adorable book is about Mia who really wants a dog. She enlists the help of her grandmother, who has a great plan. I loved the art work in this one, along with charming story. It would be terrific to compare to Margot Zemach's story "It Could Always Be Worse".
Amanda Sanders
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a cute book about a child trying to convince her mother they should get a dog. Grandma gets in on the action of convincing too. The plot is not totally original but it is well done and the illustrations are great--especially the last one.
Mary Lee
Jul 27, 2019 rated it liked it
How to convince mom that there's room for a pup? Fill the apartment with lots of animals. Then the one tiny pup doesn't seem like too much. Sight gag in the last illustration -- tiny pup turns into a great dane!

Beautiful watercolor illustrations.
Michelle
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, netgalley
***Thanks to the publisher and #NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review***
Anything with cute animals will naturally get two thumbs up from me, but this story was exceptionally cute!
Joyce Stewart Reviews
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story was so cute ! My daughter who is 4 loved it and asked me to read it over and over again. Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review
Susan Underbrink
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A big thank you to NetGalley and Kids Can Press for the ARC.I am voluntarily reviewing this book. This is a children's book. I loved this book. It made me laugh! Great graphics, fun story. 5 stars kids will love this book
Tara
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I received an arc of this title from NetGalley for an honest review. Beautiful watercolor pictures of the story of a child who wants a puppy but moms says she can't have one.
Andrea Wright
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Adorable story about a girl and a pup and a grandma with a plan. Loved the illustrations too! Love the community feel of all the people helping make the plan happen for the girl and her pup.
Victoria
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute story about a girl who tries to convince her mom to get a dog. Very inventive and funny! Excellent artwork. Had a lot of fun reading.
Heather Bennett
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
No Room for a Pup is a wonderful and cute book. Great characters and pictures. A must buy gift for children.