Start by marking “Life Will Be the Death of Me: . . . and You Too!” as Want to Read:
Life Will Be the Death of Me: . . . and You Too!

Life Will Be the Death of Me: . . . and You Too!

In a haze of vape smoke on a rare windy night in L.A. in the fall of 2016, Chelsea Handler daydreams about what life will be like with a woman in the White House. And then Donald Trump happens. In a torpor of despair, she decides that she's had enough of the privileged bubble she's lived in--a bubble within a bubble--and that it's time to make some changes, both in her per ...more
Published April 9th 2019 by Spiegel & Grau

To ask other readers questions about Life Will Be the Death of Me, please sign up.
Theresa I would actually start with My Horizontal Life. I think it highlights just how funny (crude, rude, and did I mention hilarious) she can be in her…moreI would actually start with My Horizontal Life. I think it highlights just how funny (crude, rude, and did I mention hilarious) she can be in her works. For me, this was the most extreme in terms of crudeness, but that is what makes it my favorite.(less)

Maxwell
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved her narration of the audiobook—you could hear the emotion in her voice. And I respect how vulnerable and real she was in this. Definitely not a book for everyone but I appreciated it and it was a good companion during my move and unpacking of many boxes.
Tina
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was Chelsea's best-and most honest- memoir yet. Its still got that Chelsea brand of humor but she gets deep about privilege, politics, activism, drugs, family, and finding meaning in your life. It's really personal and probably won't appeal to every reader, but I enjoyed it. It made me think and made a great case for therapy being something for everyone. What...a delight.
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm, Myrtle Beach
This was a very big departure from the type of books Chelsea normally writes. It still had flashes of her humor (which I love), but it was pretty serious. It was mostly about her dealing with the death of her brother and mom, and then realizing her shortcomings and wanting to be a better person.

It was good, and I will always be a huge fan of hers, but if you're looking to laugh, this is not the book.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

I didn't properly read reviews before starting the audiobook of Life Will Be the Death of Me: . . . and You Too!, and I expected it to be another outrageous, funny, anecdotal book from Chelsea Handler. That's not at all what I got. This book is a deep, introspective look at Chelsea Handler's life, shortcomings, and personality traits that make up the complex person that she is today. It is a serious story, and it's told very movingly and with much more vulnerability than I would have though Chel
britt_brooke
In an effort to burst her privileged bubble, Handler, with the aid of her brilliant, unflagging therapist, unearths who she is and why. After suffering a significant loss as a child, her already awkward family shifted. This memoir is a departure from her humorous essays, and while the wit is certainly still there, this is some heavy shit. I appreciate her openness. The way her pieces came together made sense. It’s never too late to work on yourself; you’re worth it. I should probably be in thera ...more
Malia
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, humor
This was quite a bit more serious than I expected, but definitely Handler's best book so far. If you're looking for fluff, this isn't it, but Handler does, of course, pack in her signature acerbic humor, even when she talks about far more serious stories of her life than in previous books. Entertaining and surprisingly moving at times!

Find more reviews and bookish fun at http://www.princessandpen.com
Antigone
May 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir-biography
Plunged into a full-bodied Blue State despair by the election of Donald Trump, comedienne and talk show host Chelsea Handler takes her privileged self off to therapy to discuss, among other things, privilege, gender and, eventually, the deep-seated rage and fear that informs most of her choice-making. In a candid (if scattershot) examination of her childhood, she unearths the long-reaching effect of the death of her brother on her intimate relationships, her professional goals, and the framework ...more
Katie B
I wouldn't say I'm a Chelsea Handler fan because I rarely watched her show on E! and have yet to check out anything she has put out on Netflix. I do however, love her books. Her first four books literally had me in tears I was laughing so hard. (Her fifth book, Uganda Be Kidding Me, wasn't quite as good as the others but it still was pretty funny) This book is definitely different than anything she was written before as we get to see a more introspective and serious side of Chelsea.

Chelsea's old
Lisa Leone-campbell
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I must confess a few things…
I have always liked Chelsea Handler. I have enjoyed both her television shows and her books. I have seen her stand-up comedy show live and I have even met her.

She has always had a dark edge to her and the ability to say what is on her mind, something which I have always envied just a little bit. She has always appeared to me as sarcastically scary, if that is a real thing.

But in this new book, Life Will Be the Death of Me, a new woman has emerged. One which I must say
BWT (Belen)
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2019, audiobook

Heartfelt and heartwarming are two words I would not normally associate with Chelsea Handler, but as she takes the audience through some of her most painful past moments, thankfully using plenty of humor along the way, I found myself absolutely enraptured. This was really vulnerable of Handler to put herself on display in this particular way and it resonated and turned on a light to some of my own behaviors. Overall very well done and absolutely worth a listen.
Lisa
Apr 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
I just can't read another book about a celebrity being depressed after the 2016 election - I'm not saying I didn't feel the same.. it's just too much at this point IMO.
Shannon
Life Will be the Death of Me...and You Too!

I Picked Up This Book Because: I love Chelsea.

I’ve always thought Chelsea was an open book when it came to her writing but this book take open, honest and vulnerable to new levels for her. This book follows a year of therapy and explores her losses in life. Her personality, the shortcomings that come with that and her need and ability to overcome these challenges.

This book was deeply personal on another level for Chelsea. I admire her for putting
Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

I love Chelsea’s books. Are you there Vodka? It’s me, Chelsea is one of my fave nonfiction reads. But this one was so different! It had so much depth. She talked about politics, her “white privilege”, racism and just how she needed to do more self reflecting and try harder to become a better person. Oh and it also had the Chelsea humor. I’m glad I got a chance to read it.

“There was a time when being famous and having this kind of success and money and having a tv show was what drove me
Kelsey (Kelseylovesbooks)
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I've read all of Chelsea Handler's books, and this one was by far the poignant but also the most real. The humor I've come to know and love from her books is present, but she also tackles much more serious topics as the death of her brother when she was nine and her lifelong struggles with trusting those around her not to abandon her.

Much of the book is told through her interactions with her therapist as she makes discoveries about herself and who she is. Life Will be the Death of Me felt much m
Suzanne
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This Chelsea Handler book is different from her others but I loved it even more for that reason. She tackles so many serious matters and expresses her concerns and thoughts extremely well. She showed a much deeper and more intelligent side to herself in this one. I have read her other books and knew she was kinder than people would assume but this is really shown even more so in this book. I really incredible read.
Donna
Apr 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I stopped reading at paragraph 2 when she makes reference to her 2 assistants.
Krissy
I couldn't put this book down. I would highly recommend you listen to the audiobook. Chelsea's narration was vulnerable and real. I laughed and I cried through this entire thing.
5 strong stats.
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read this in one evening. It’s so Chelsea- which I love- brutally honest, charming and snarky- but she also opens up about some really tough topics, like the death of her brother and the loss of her parents, which is a side you rarely see from her.

She brings up a lot of good points about the culture of endulgence and why we think bigger is always better. She catalogs many sessions with her therapist who asks her deep questions that had me feeling like I wanted go open up to someone too.

Chance Lee
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I miss Chelsea Handler's Netflix show, but this book explains why she quit. Lots of introspection from someone who doesn't seem accustomed to it. A few humorous stories about her dogs, but mostly serious essays about therapy. I like the acronym her therapist uses -- IAM: Identification. Awareness. Modification. And I am (no pun intended) curious about Enneagrams. I don't think I'm an 8, even though I identify with Chelsea and her journey (a word she hates, and I do too!) more than I expected to.
JustKate
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: listened-to
Listen to this book instead of reading it in paper form. You might be able to hear her voice come across in your head while reading the words but you won't hear her voice breaking at the moments that count and know how difficult it was for her to put this piece of work out there.
Her journey to self discovery is so truthful and raw. When I realized that she not only had to live it, then write it, then narrate the story of her life and loss, I found myself tearing up too. Tears of sorrow for her
Jacob Kolody
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
More like 3.5 stars but y’know…

I was hoping this would be a 5-star read after all the hype but it wasn’t for me. Now in saying that, this is easily Chelsea Handler’s most well written book BUT I opened it with the hope that I would laugh out loud the way I did with her other memoirs. To my surprise, this was actually very emotionally affecting and unlike anything she has written before. It’s clear that therapy has changed her. It seems to have really opened her eyes and allowed her to dig deeper
Patty
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir, 2019, my-favorites
This book is raw and vulnerable, it was heart-wrenching and still filled with laughter. She really accomplished a lot in this short book. Chelsea took a hard look at herself after the anger that consumed her following the 2016 election, and this led her into therapy and forced her to take a hard look at the loss in her life that she never healed from. It was an incredible read. I've always loved the way in which Chelsea shares her opinion or information, but this book gave me a lot of respect fo ...more
Michelle
4.5 stars rounding up. I like Chelsea Handler though she can be a bit "much" at times... but this memoir is surprisingly honest, self-aware, and not the least bit raunchy/rude/inappropriate (those things are all fine, in certain circumstances). Unexpectedly insightful and moving, and I was fascinated by her childhood. Better yet I listened on audiobook and she is an excellent narrator. If you have even the slightest passing interest in Chelsea Handler, I wholly recommend this.
Alexandria
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe Chelsea Handler made me cry.
Tracy Challis
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoirs, audiobooks
This book is worth reading.

I feel the need to admit I have never really been a Chelsea Handler fan. I had seen her on occasion and found her to be funny at times, but I was also a little put off by an edge to her I found dismissive and belittling.

Then I saw her as a guest on Bill Maher’s show where she talked seriously (with a hint of her sarcastic humor) about how devastated she was about the 2016 election- so much so she sought counseling. This started her on an interesting and personal jour
Hilary
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ve had very little exposure to Chelsea over the years. I had never read any book of hers before this, let alone known she has written as many as she has... Nor was I ever a consistent viewer of her tv shows. I have to say though, I love this book and I loved her honesty and truth she shared. I felt like I was in therapy with her and the things she learned along the way were very insightful and funny, of course. I loved that she could have me laughing one moment and feeling reflective the next. ...more
Kait Griffin
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I might even go so far as 4.5. With Chelsea Handler I expected to laugh- and did until I had to wipe my eyes- but I did not expect such honesty in reflection. It resonated.
Sara
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is her best one yet.
Amy Johns
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved the idea of the metanoia, the Enneagram, and the Identification, Awareness, and Modification approach to self-awareness. Some elements of the memoir seemed underdeveloped or disjointed—but it was a fun and insightful and funny memoir.
Bridgette
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was exceptional. It was the perfect blend of hilarious and devastating and Chelsea Handler narrated with such conviction and emotion. I’m so impressed by her growth from her other books, which are mostly about sex and pranks and adventures (loved them) but they were definitely missing all this heart I didn’t know she had. I could really relate to her introspection about the major death in her family and how it changed her life forever. These reflections might be triggering for some peo ...more
Chelsea Handler has become one of entertainment’s most sought after and versatile rising stars. In July 2007, Chelsea broke into the world of late-night talk shows with her E! Entertainment series, Chelsea Lately (airing weeknights at 11:00 p.m.). Consistently the network’s highest-rated program, Chelsea Lately offers a tongue-in-cheek look at entertainment news, celebrity truths, and rumors that ...more
“Whenever I have trouble standing up for myself (it’s happened), I think about whether I would tolerate the situation if it were happening to one of my sisters, mother, daughter, or niece. If it’s not acceptable for them, it’s not acceptable for me.” 7 likes
“For the record, I would like to state that never in the history of humankind has a woman been told to calm down and then calmed down. We don't like that” 6 likes