Start by marking “Frozen 2: Forest of Shadows” as Want to Read:
Frozen 2: Forest of Shadows

Frozen 2: Forest of Shadows

An original middle grade novel bridging the epic adventure of Frozen with the upcoming Walt Disney Animation Studios film Frozen 2.
Published October 4th 2019 by Disney Press

To ask other readers questions about Frozen 2, please sign up.
Kamilla Benko It does not! :) Forest of Shadows is basically Frozen 1 1/2, and sets up the characters for Frozen 2, but ends right before the movie begins. There…moreIt does not! :) Forest of Shadows is basically Frozen 1 1/2, and sets up the characters for Frozen 2, but ends right before the movie begins. There are a lot of Easter eggs Frozen 2 in the book, but you won't realize they're there until you see the movie! (less)

Start your review of Frozen 2: Forest of Shadows
Mischenko
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
When a strange blight comes over the land and the animals fall into a deep sleep, Anna is convinced she can help find the cure. It needs to be done quickly because the food supply is in danger and Elsa will soon be departing on her grand tour. After Anna finds a magic door in the castle she never knew about, it leads her to a secret room where she finds magic books, herbs, and other mysterious items. The clue might be hidden within this room and Anna is convinced she can solve this mystery, but ...more
Mavis Ros
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Are you freakin’ kidding me? This is too serious to even be considered a middle-grade but—

This. Is. Everything.

Like I would stand as a huge Frozen fanatic. Yep. That’s me, alright.

It makes me understand the sequel a whole lot more and I can’t wait to see Frozen 2 during its release date!

But I do have to note that “you don’t need to read this” before actually seeing Frozen 2.

BUT based only on my own perspective within the expansion exploring the world of Arendelle with its long-kept secrets,
ElsaMakotoRenge
incoherent fangirling incoming THIS WAS GREAT CAN WE PLEASE GIVE THE SISTERS A HUG NOW AND THEN AFTER THE EVENTS OF THIS STORY THEY’RE GOING TO IMMEDIATELY GO THROUGH WHATEVER HEART-STOMPING THINGS THAT ARE GOING TO GO ON IN FROZEN II...ack. okay. moving on

Kamilla Benko
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Frozen 2: Forest of Shadows is the bridge story between Frozen & Frozen II! I definitely recommend reading it before watching Frozen 2 --there are no spoilers for Frozen 2 in it, but it will prepare you for what's to come for the sisters! :)
Joanna (BookandPages)
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
I highly enjoyed this book. It was incredibly well-written and stayed true to the original feel of the movie. I liked the way mythology was incorporated into this book, and I really enjoyed the sisterly dynamic between Anna and Elsa. My one complaint with this book was Olaf. He was just so weird in it. I don't know if that how's he is going to be in the new movie, but he seemed significantly out of character in this book. Other than that this book was a solid middle grade book, and one of the ...more
Lindsay
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I have been a major Disney’s Frozen fan since the film first came out. And now that Frozen 2 is coming out, I was thrilled to know there was a book connecting the two movies.

Forest of Shadows was AMAZING!! I could not have asked for a better Disney book to satisfy my fan girl dreams. Benko perfectly captured the character’s personalities and voices in this adorable and thrilling story.

As Elsa and Anna discover secrets of the past, they need to stay true to one another to help the kingdom and
Jaime
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first Disney book I’ve read, and I really enjoyed it. The new characters that were introduced are fantastic, and it was very interesting to get a closer look at Arendelle. I will definitely be reading more Disney books in the future.
Emily
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Definitely not a kids book... It is pretty graphic at times, and scary. Anna has always been my favourite, so I was excited the book was told from her perspective. Definitely good to get you hyped for the next movie!
Yasmeena Elmahdy
Nov 27, 2019 marked it as to-read
I’m going to watch the movie tomorrow and I heard this was a pretty great companion so why not
AJ
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's a great great book!! I feel so sorry for the sisters, they're going through a lot in this book and frozen 2 within a week after the ending I think as Frozen 2 beginning is teased in the end. I finished it in one sitting. It has a lot of twists and turns too. Only thing I hated was that olaf was out of character in this book. He really was not he was. I am going to read it again. But I have one doubt, is it canon? I really hope it is, coz it's a great book and fits well as frozen 1.5.
Alecia Hefner
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this, surprising since honestly Frozen drives me nuts lol. But I like to read different tales on the stories so I figured I’d give this a read and am glad I did. The only thing that bothered me was the vast amount of mistakes in the book. Words that were missing and should have been noticed. But the book itself was very good
Cerise Heartfilia
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Courtney Savage
Before I write anything about this book, I think it is worth mentioning that I am very much in a place right now where I am ready to consume and love anything that has anything to do with Frozen. I loved Frozen 2 and I have fandom brain right now so that may have swayed my opinion about this book.

That being said, I enjoyed this book way more than I thought I would. I saw beforehand that this was intended to be a middle-grade novel, but I, a 25-year-old adult, thoroughly enjoyed it and thought
Rachel
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was sometime in late October/early November that my interest in Frozen 2 began to peak. I came across this companion novel on Hoopla and decided to give it a try.

While I got bored of it at times, it was actually pretty good. Especially when I connected it to some of the plot lines/rumors/even spoilers I heard for Frozen 2. The book is supposed to be a bridge between the two films in the franchise, but I think it leans a little more heavily on foreshadowing elements of the sequel rather than
Elliott Winter
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Frozen 2:Forest of Shadows is a brilliant treat for us Frozen fans that takes between the first Frozen and leads up to the beautifully created sequel.

The interaction and connection of sisterly -love and bond between Elsa and Anna is beautifully crafted in the latter chapters of the books, as is the tie-in to why all of the Nattamara's events are happening.

My favorite part of the book is the epilogue where Anna has the vision of Elsa being with a water spirit horse that foreshadows the ending
Jenna
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Oh my gosh I loved this so much it’s not funny.

I’m such a big fan of Frozen and was really looking forward to this bridging the gap between movies one and two and man oh MAN did this book DELIVER!

All of our favourites were there acting exactly like they do in the film. We got to see Anna and Elsa being the badass sisters they’ve always been. Anna and Kristoff are my actual OTP I love them so much. The friendships and family relationships in this book were perfect and the plot—while simple—was a
Veronica ( moon & coffee. )
A | Not gonna lie, I did a double take reading this book. I had to check whether this was middle grade or YA. But in any case, this book was fantastic. Kamilla captured Anna’s voice so well because she doesn’t erase Anna’s insecurities and we see Anna flourish in the book. I love how we get more of Anna and Elsa’s childhood here along with worldbuilding for Arendelle. Since I had seen the movie first, I think that this book gives the sequel even more flavor (& I thought Frozen 2 was very ...more
Carolyn
Dec 08, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

I liked this, though the story felt clunky. It could have been smoothed out some more to flow better. Anna was annoying at times, with how much she was focused on “needing to help Elsa” but I can understand where she was coming.

It was also repetitive sometimes, like I don’t know how many times they explained what the Blight had done to the kingdom and they would explain what they needed to do and why multiple times like I had forgotten in between chapters?

I’m hoping it set up Frozen 2
Matthew Aronhalt
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
After enjoying the YA/Middle-grade Aladdin tie-in novel this year, I figured I'd give this a shot. I loved the fascinating fantastical imagery this novel conjures and it was a nice 'between movies' kind of story. So I definitely see myself continuing the trend of buying more YA/middle-grade Disney novels with lovely covers that tell a new story in their film franchise's world the next chance I get!
Johanna
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was So Dark and So Good !
I might need to read it again though because the French translation felt, how would you say that? rushed? not good? terrible!
They didn't even keep the original cover art and slapped the 2nd movie poster on it instead. Can you tell i'm a little mad?
Jawan Herron
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

An amazing story about family, facing your fears and the power of true love. The story of Anna and Elsa is captivating, I could not put this book down. It is a phenomenal lead into Frozen II. Mrs. Benko did a wonderful job. A must read for fans young and old alike.
Nick Sweet
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful read. This is a great in between tale for Frozen and Frozen II and will keep readers on the edge of their seats to the very end. I hope that we get more Frozen books. Corona is mentioned in the book, so maybe a Frozen/Tangled crossover novel? I would freak if that happened.
Crystal
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, fantasy
Very nice chapter book. Now to watch the second movie and see how it bridges the gap between the two movies.
Wendelle So
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: great
It's a great sensory adventure with beloved characters that also reaffirms the values of love for one's family and for one's community.
Lauren
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
It reads sort of like fan fic, and my eyes rolled in a few parts, but it’s a MG book and Frozen fans will like it.
Daniel Rose
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It was so great to see a new story with Elsa, Anna and the gang! I can’t wait to see Frozen 2 next week!
Carolynn England
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
love this so much! and now i'm really ready for the movie! can't wait for more Anna and Elsa!
Cara
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was suspenseful and thrilling.
It was the perfect way to bridge together Frozen and Frozen 2! I didn’t want to put it down!
Hannah Lynch
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
*3.5 stars
Liarna Retallick
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
The only criticism I can give this book is that Olaf is so off from how he is in the movies, shorts, and other stories.

• Conceal, Don't Feel
  • Heart of the Moors: An Original Maleficent: Mistress of Evil Novel
  • Ébano (Enfrentados #2)
  • Aladdin: Far from Agrabah
  • Frozen 2: The Deluxe Junior Novelization (Disney Frozen 2)
  • Resistance Reborn (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #1)
  • The Mortal Instruments: The Graphic Novel, Vol. 3
  • The Art of Frozen 2: (Disney Frozen Art book, Animated Movie book)
  • The Lion King: The Novelization
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • The Deathless Girls
  • Mirror, Mirror
  • The Tea Dragon Society (Tea Dragon, #1)
  • The Art of Frozen: (Frozen Book, Disney Books for Kids )
  • Spark of the Resistance  (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #3)
  • Permanent Record
  • Disney Aladdin
  • Ezra's Gamble (Star Wars Rebels)
Kamilla Benko spent most of her childhood climbing into wardrobes, trying to step through mirrors, and plotting to run away to an art museum. Now, she visits other worlds as a children’s book editor. Originally from Indiana, she currently lives in New York with her bookshelves, teapot, and hiking boots.