Start by marking “Midwest Made: Big, Bold Baking from the Heartland” as Want to Read:
Midwest Made: Big, Bold Baking from the Heartland

Midwest Made: Big, Bold Baking from the Heartland

A Love Letter to America's Heartland, the Great Midwest

When it comes to defining what we know as all-American baking, everything from Bundt cakes to brownies have roots that can be traced to the great Midwest. German, Scandinavian, Polish, French, and Italian immigrant families baked their way to the American Midwest, instilling in it pies, breads, cookies, and pastries
Published October 22nd 2019 by Running Press Adult

To ask other readers questions about Midwest Made, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midwest Made

Start your review of Midwest Made: Big, Bold Baking from the Heartland
Sandy
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, cookbook, nonfiction
I'm buying a copy of this one. I checked it out at the library but now, I have to buy a copy as I really like it. It's a big, heavy cookbook filled with sweets for very occasion. There is a lot of comments written by Shauna inside this cookbook which is interesting to read and makes the recipes personal. Yet, this also throws off some of the recipes formatting if you like your recipes to be all on one page or if you like your recipes to begin at the top of the page.

I liked all the different
Nicole
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
So, I believe the recipes in this book are delicious. I actually contemplating buying the book but am now happy I checked it out from the library first.

My review is completely dependent on the formatting of the book. The recipes start in the middle of a page or carry over between two pages when they could have fit on one page. Also, there are photos of about half of the finished recipes but the photo does not specify what recipe it is. I found this confusing as like recipes were grouped
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an incredible baking book! The recipes are delicious; there are the perfect amount of backstories and essays. The instructions are clear and most of the ingredients are easy to find. Last, but not least, the author has a great sense of humor and baking with her was like baking with a friend. The summer salad. Savory and pie chapters were amazing.

The organization of the book is by type of food. While it’s a beautiful book, the photos aren’t always useful. There isn’t a photo for every
Gloria
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars on this book. I've had my eye on it since before it was released and I'm so happy I did some cookbook recon on it before adding it to my growing "cookbooks to buy list." Even though I'm not from the Midwest all of the recipes seemed appealing and I really enjoy the little notes, hints and stories that go along with the book. The formatting of recipes carrying over to more than one page can be a little annoying, however the final product far outweighs the inconvenience of having to flip ...more
Linda
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
You have to love any cookbook about baking that starts with the Slovenian sweet bread potica, Shauna Sever is talking my language. Later she shows off Cleveland's version of Cassata Cake and explains how it came to be along withe recipe. She also explains cookie tables at weddings and their are some charming stories about her Gram and the neighborhood where she grew up. Be warned these recipes are detailed and demanding, they are not in my opinion for the novice baker.

But I like her five rules
Lynda
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love cook books! This one focuses on all kinds of desserts. Very homey and with great stories behind the recipes. I will be trying many of the author's recipes: Mrs. Braun's Oatmeal Cookies, My Go-To Chocolate Chip Cookies, Potica, Lebkuchen, and Brewers' Cheddar Bread...to start.
Lisa
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are several recipes I plan on trying out. The book is not flashy or as she says not all glittery, but good old fashioned mid-western baking.
Margaret Gerberding
Jan 20, 2020 rated it liked it
This book is full of cookies, cakes, breads and treats sure to please any baker and the people they bake for.
Vanessa Holloway
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Many delicious desserts! I enjoyed the stories behind all the recipes too.
Margery Osborne
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
i liked the premise and there were some interesting recipes or versions of recipes i occasionally make
Jayme Merklein
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVE this cookbook and I’m looking forward to adding it to my permanent cookbook collection. I’ve made three recipes with it since checking it out at the library and they were all delicious. The history of various baked goods is awesome (I wish I had a Youngstown Ohio wedding so I could have had a cookie table! Genius!) The photography is beautiful as well. I only wish there was a photograph of every recipe.
Teresa
Jennifer Dunger
Jan 12, 2020

• The Family Upstairs
  • Olive, Again
  • Out of Sight (Amy Cornwall, #1)
  • Wild Game: My Mother, Her Lover, and Me
  • Wildflower
  • Holiday Cookies: Showstopping Recipes to Sweeten the Season
  • Christmas Shopaholic
  • Indian-ish: Recipes and Antics from a Modern American Family
  • The World That We Knew
  • Nothing Fancy: Unfussy Food for Having People Over
  • The Pioneer Woman Cooks: The New Frontier
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
  • Bigger Bolder Baking: A Fearless Approach to Baking Anytime, Anywhere
  • The Secrets of Midwives
  • Tuesday Mooney Talks to Ghosts
  • The Mother's Promise
  • Plated: Weeknight Dinners, Weekend Feasts, and Everything in Between
  • Heritage Baking: Recipes for Rustic Breads and Pastries Baked with Artisanal Flour