Start by marking “The Deviant's Pocket Guide to the Outlandish Sexual Desires Barely Contained in Your Subconscious” as Want to Read:

In tribute to the many splendors of human sexuality, The Deviant's Pocket Guide to the Outlandish Sexual Desires Barely Contained in Your Subconscious profiles over 40 of the wildest and woolliest sexual proclivities you'll ever find, even on the internet.

The human race is a species of inventors. In our few millennia of existence, we've created fire, the wheel, the
Published October 1st 2019 by becker&mayer! Books (first published December 26th 2007)

Be the first to ask a question about The Deviant's Pocket Guide to the Outlandish Sexual Desires Barely Contained in Your Subconscious

Start your review of The Deviant's Pocket Guide to the Outlandish Sexual Desires Barely Contained in Your Subconscious
NAT.orious reads ☽
3.25 outlandish
This book is for you if… you are searching for something mildly amusing and informative. It does get a bit bland after a while. You might although in fact discover a weird fetish you feel inclined towards.

Overall.
I was very undecided to whether or not wish for this book on NetGalley. After checking out some reviews on her I thought I might try it and I suppose it was decent enough. This book covers an interesting range of the weirdest fetishes out there. Everey fetish is
Morris
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was definitely an eye-opener! I quite enjoyed the format and learning the trivia contained in this. It would make a great gift for someone who has everything and enjoys all sorts of strange information, though probably not good for your mother-in-law! I'm going to check out the other books by this author.

This unbiased review is based upon a complimentary copy provided by the publisher.
Jun 29, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Closet Podophiliacs
How could I see this delightful little pocket guide sitting on the shelves and not want to make it my own? I think this is a good addition to any reference library, right up there with Webster's and Roget's - certainly useful for identifying your (or your houseguests') naughtier proclivities and helpful in understanding the best props for your desired kind of play. I appreciate author DiClaudio's addition of any safety concerns you should account for (e.g. remember to give your partner a ...more
Dennis DiClaudio
Jan 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: all human beings, other primates, most animals, some forms of vegetation, and slime molds.
This is by far the greatest book that I have ever read. I would venture to say it is the greatest book ever written, but I have not yet read several books, and I consider the possibility -- however unlikely -- that one or two of those books could possibly exceed this one in grandeur, transcendence and/or references to people doing it up right with insects.
Kelly Long
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, nonfiction
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for providing this book in exchange for an honest review.
This little book is quite entertaining and yet informative. The wiring of the human mind is forever fascinating.
Jimmy
May 26, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, science
I would have preferred a more scientific book. The humor flopped for me. Anyway, here are a few examples.

James Joyce was believed to have been an Eproctophiliac, a lover of farts. He wrote to his wife Laura, "You had an arse full of farts that night, darling . . . big fat fellows, long windy ones, quick little merry cracks and a lot of tiny little naughty farties ending in a long gush from your hole . . . I think I would know Laura's fart anywhere. I think I could pick here out in a room full
Jamie Brydone-Jack
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, nonfiction
I've recently read and reviewed the other two pocket guides by this author, one about unusual medical maladies and the other about mental disorders. I thought having read those two might have prepared me for this book, but I was so wrong! As the title says, this book explores some unusual sexual desires. While these particular likes may be real, the emphasis in this book compared to the other two is definitely on the "humorous" aspect. Each desire lists some items that you might want to use to ...more
Theediscerning
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pick anything from this barely-safe-for-work book and someone would have issues with it. It snappily, unconvincingly (wow, the author has a BA!!) but enjoyably guides us through all the sexual peccadilloes, fetishes and f**ked-up desires people may want in their sex lives, ranging from a desire to be with amputees, for balloons, or to vomit. I soon skipped reading the introductory scene-setting yucks, before getting to the really yucky stuff of the serious parts from every entry, which include ...more
Katy
I requested this book because I was truly interested in learning about different sexual desires and I was not disappointed one bit! This book was very informative but also had truly hysterical moments. I was highly impressed by the writing in how it was professionally written. They didn't make fun of the desire but explained how it came to be and why we feel this way.

*ARC courtesy of the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. I want to
Nerdy Housewifey
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Okay so I thought I was well versed on random fetishes but boy did I learn about a lot more. This was enthralling! I’m utterly fascinated by what I just read. Some of the things that turn different humans cranks, like I said fascinating. I’m a very big upholder of not kink shaming others, whatever floats your boat, and I feel even though the writing was again humorous, it never belittled or made fun of anything.

Once this is released I’m definitely going to be sharing it in some of my romance
Susanne
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
Thank you to the Quarto Publishing Group and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I thought I was fairly well-informed in terms of sexual kink... but man is there a lot of weirdness alive in this world of ours. In the style of his other books, this is a highly entertaining - while also being very informative - look at various forms of sexual fetishes. Lots of dry humor, with no judgement being passed, which is remarkable in itself, under the circumstances.
Neriah Samraksha
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
"If there's one thing you should carry away from this book, it's that one should never underestimate the human sexual appetite."

That's it! That's the book! Fully blown, entertaining, genius and I was NOT ready for this book!

Recommended: Anyone can read this third book in the series. Just make sure you are ready for this.
Hazel
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Ive read all 3 of Dennis Diclaudios Pocket Guides. They are all entertaining and amusing. Not to be read if you are easily offended.

You will learn something from them all. They are quite short so easly to read though or just dip into occcasionally!

Thanks to Netgalley and Quatro Publishing for the ARC. My review is my own opinion.
Kristine
Oct 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
The Deviant Pocket Guide... by Dennis DiClaudio is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in late September.

Weird, wacky sex and philias, many more than I’d seen years ago at New York’s Museum of Sex. The author goes through the tools of a deed, what it is, how is it performed, and things to keep in mind, all quite heteronormative from a man’s perspective. Nope. Not cool.
Vnunez-Ms_luv2read
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This was an interesting read. Lol some of the desires were wild. The book was entertaining and a quick read. Thanks to Netgalley, the author and the publisher for the arc of this book in return for my honest review. Receiving the book in this manner had no bearing on this review.
The Kawaii Slartibartfast
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This book is very silly but I'd expect nothing less from the title. It's very informative and presents the information in a really easy to understand way.
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
A fun read, very silly in style but I’m sure will appeal to many out there, entertaining enough

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Kirsten never has enough time
Thoroughly enjoyed this, although I suspect the people who are into cartoons are probably fuming at being lumped in with the furries!
Lorna McCluskey
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A mind-opening book that enlightens one to different sexual desires that I had never imagined.
The book is easy to read, understand and gently humorous.
A handy little reference book that is sure to get people wondering.
Acquired through Goodreads Giveaways.
Serena.. Sery-ously?
May 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, eng-2014
Dopo aver letto e amato le altre due guide tascabili di Dennis DeClaudio, non potevo certo esimermi dal comprare e leggere anche questo.. Che fatica trovarlo (ad un prezzo onesto!).. Ma che soddisfazione vederli tutti e tre insieme! Sono bellissimi!! :D
Il libro presenta diverse sezioni, proprio come i suoi fratelli maggiori e l'autore è sempre molto piacevole da leggere.. Sarà che alcune cose sono un po' schifosette, sarà che alcune le conoscevo.. Mi è piaciuto, ma non posso metterlo a livello
Meaghan
Aug 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010, sex, trivia
Even more informative and funny than the other DiClaudio book I'd read. Most of these fetishes I had never even heard of and would certainly not wish to practice myself, but whatever floats your boat, I guess. Sex trivia buffs will love this book. The only thing I didn't like was that DiClaudio repeats certain things -- "it goes back to childhood experiences," "sex and fear are linked" etc -- to the point of annoyance.
Danielle Alexandria
Super fun beginner book for those who find abnormal psychology and aberrant sexuality interesting. I have the Encyclopedia of Unusual Sexual Practices at home, so this was a bit remedial information-wise, but the writing style is very funny and the illustrations are great.
Gnomad
Jan 02, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Encyclopedia of sexual fetishes. Interesting read, though perhaps it would have been more so if it weren't for the internet. Sometimes funny, but more judgmental than I would've liked.
Catherine
Dec 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is dry, hilarious, and even informative, and I enjoyed it very much.
Jane Doe
May 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a small book with lots of information, put in an easy to read format. Interesting how people can be wired. What one person is into is another person's nightmare. Fascinating.
Jade
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think the delightful pocket guide is fun to read for all the deviants who need to know hoe it is done! I liked it. Its fun even if you don't need to use it as a know how, or instruction book!
Anthony  Kirk
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book helps with writing kinky fan-fiction ;)
Tamaswini
Aug 17, 2017
Jared Young
Jun 23, 2015
Rebecca
May 21, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• We Came First: Relationship Advice from Women Who Have Been There (Humor Dating Book, Women in History Book)
  • Nature Tonic: A Year in My Mindful Life
  • Traditions of Death and Burial
  • 10-Minute Tidy Home: Hundreds of Easy Tips to Straighten and Clean Every Room of Your House
  • Gross Animals: Discover Nature's Most Disgusting Creatures!
  • Curry & Kimchi: Flavor Secrets for Creating 70 Asian-Inspired Recipes at Home
  • I’m Absolutely Fine!: A Manual for Imperfect Women
  • Incredible Plant-Based Desserts: Colorful Vegan Cakes, Cookies, Tarts, and other Epic Delights
  • Judy Joo's Korean Soul Food: Authentic dishes and modern twists
  • The World at Night: Spectacular photographs of the night sky
  • Black Rock Bay
  • Sorry I Barfed on Your Bed Again: (and More Heartwarming Letters from Kitty)
  • All Cats Are Introverts
  • Colombiano
  • Beautiful, Complicated Family: Volume 1
  • Beautiful, Complicated Family: Volume 2
  • Britain's Unsolved Murders
  • Seeker (Keeper Duology #2)
Dennis DiClaudio lives in Rochester, NY with one wife, one son, and two dogs. He is a former editor for Comedy Central's Indecision website and has contributed to The Onion and The AV Club. His plays have been staged in New York City, Philadelphia, Atlanta, and Oxford, MS.