Start by marking “Judy Joo's Korean Soul Food: Authentic dishes and modern twists” as Want to Read:
Judy Joo's Korean Soul Food: Authentic dishes and modern twists

Judy Joo's Korean Soul Food: Authentic dishes and modern twists

Fresh from the success of Korean Food Made Simple, chef Judy Joo is back with a brand new collection of recipes that celebrate the joys of Korean comfort food and gets straight to the heart and soul of the kitchen.

Drawing on her own heritage and international experience, Judy presentsrecipes for everything from street food to snacks and sharing plates, kimchi to Ko-Mex
Published October 8th 2019 by White Lion Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Judy Joo's Korean Soul Food, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Judy Joo's Korean Soul Food

Start your review of Judy Joo's Korean Soul Food: Authentic dishes and modern twists
Dita
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My love for Iron Chef Judy Joo is utter, unwavering and irrational so imagine my complete delight when the very first NetGalley book I received as a wish was her cookbook.

I am still fangirling out!!

The recipes are approachable and the photos are fantastic. I love that she offers a helpful glossary as well. The recipes range from simple to complex so there is something for everyone in this gorgeous cookbook.

I am so in love with this that am buying a hardcopy for my countertop collection!

Thank
MissBecka
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to MissBecka by: Dita
I love Korean cuisine!!!
After visiting Korea in 2005 I spent several years figuring out how to make kimchi (and various other tasty Korean treats). This book could have saved me a lot of time and effort.
The recipes all sounded delish, and most have vibrant photos to accompany them.

With the publishing date in a couple of days I didn't get a chance to try as many recipes as I normally would before rating a cook book.
One meals worth is all we got.
Our meal had us trying the Cucumber Salad, Pork
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
Full Review on The Candid Cover

Judy Joo’s Korean Soul Food is an interesting collection of recipes with a different flavour. From salads to soups, there are many Korean Fusion recipes to choose. The layout is easy to follow and the images are stunning in this inspiring cookbook.

Korean restaurants are few and far between where I live, so I was immediately intrigued to give this book a try. There are both traditional and non-traditional recipes in this cookbook. The offerings include :

Salads &
♠️ TABI ♠️
Sep 27, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: netgalley, non-fic
Ko-Mex fusion?? all right you got my curiosity
Gemma
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Judy Joo's Korean Soul Food is a well laid out, simple step by step guide.
with fabulous mouth watering photos accompanying original delicious looking recipes.

While the recipes look lovely and seem well explained, they are not quite what I would be looking for. I had hoped to find some tasty Korean meals that I could cook easily for the family, and I didn't feel that was possible.

however, if you enjoy cooking and trying new things and have the extra time i'm sure you could create some amazing
Ilana
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From all the Asian foods I had the chance to try and taste, Korean food remains mostly a no-go. The fermented foods to not come along with my stomach and tastes therefore, there is not joy in tasting it. However, there are many more combinations and alternatives that might suit my palate and my health, and the recipes included in Judy Joo's Korean Soul Food book can change my mind.
The recipes are not only simple, but they offer some alternatives and combinations that mix ingredients in a way
Janet
When a super-speed reader doesn't have a car for a month due to a predatory car insurance industry, you can get a LOT of reading done!!

From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it as they do it better than I do .

‘Judy Joo captures the flavours and the heart of Korean food and switches things up just enough to make them
Samantha
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookery, netgalley
Judy Joo's Korean Soul Food comes with over 100 recipes, plus a list of store cupboard ingredients, and how to make your own sauces.

The recipes are split into the following sections:
Salads & banchan
Meat & seafood
Soup & noodles
Bread
Desserts

Some of the recipes are an infusion of Korean and Mexican (Ko-mex) or using Korean ingredients in a western dish such as Tiramisu or macaroni cheese. I'd certainly give many of these dishes a go in
roxi Net
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a gorgeous and simple cookbook (despite not having numbered directions. I'm that kind of learner). I didn't know much about Korean food and Ms. Joo's cookbook breaks it down in a way I can remember going forward. Some items I can't find at my local grocery store but they're also easy enough to hunt down in my area. I recently had Spam (no comment yet) and I will definitely try my hand at the Spam French Fries with Cheesy Kimchi Dipping Sauce. Never having had Kimchi before, I'm ...more
Kristine
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: amazon-reviewed
Judy Joo's Korean Soul Food by Judy Joo is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in early October.

Recipes for fresh greens, fermented items (the different levels of diluted pickle brine give me some hope for liking this), snacks, rice, ko-mex (dishes with Korean-Mexican fusion), seafood and meats, soup and noodles, breads, and desserts with deep, intense, soulful flavors alternating with fresh, upbeat, fusion flavors. Ooh, the Spam fries call out to my State Fair palate! All told, there are
Linda Richardson
I love Korean food and this cookbook is filled with delicious recipes. There are dozens of Pinterest worthy gorgeous photos of dishes but the Sikhye Popsicles and Green Tea Roll cake were my favorites.
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
This is an amazing book full of mouthwatering recipes, straight forward and no nonsense involved, easy to understand and follow, each one makes you want to dive into the kitchen. Beautiful photos alongside the recipes encourage you even more, fabulous book and highly recommended

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Kristin
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun cookbook with lots of interesting recipes and great photos. I would love to try several of these dishes.
Annie
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

Judy Joo's Korean Soul Food is a new cookbook and tutorial by Judy Joo. Released 1st Oct 2019 by Quarto on their White Lion imprint, it's 224 pages and available in hardcover and ebook formats.

I love Korean food but always felt somewhat intimidated and full of excuses: "It's too complicated", "the ingredients are hard to source", "it requires too much special equipment", and maybe the lamest of them all "it's culturally insensitive for a lily
Sharon
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
White Lion Publishing and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of Judy Joo's Korean Soul Food. I was under no obligation to review this book and my opinion is freely given.

Cookbook author Judy Joo was inspired by her multicultural upbringing, creating recipes that showcase her heritage and her love of flavor.

This cookbook is divided into logical sections, like Salads & Banchan, Pickles & Kimchi, Dumplings, Street Food, Rice, Ko-mex, Meat & Seafood, Soup & Noodles, Bread,
Jacqui Huntley
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely pictures and useful list of Korean store cupboard ingredients. I especially like the various sauces, stocks, pickles and dips for new ideas. I did see that it was essentially fusion recipes of which I'm not that fond but at least some have appeal. Not totally convinced about the Spam French Fries - I have memories of Spam as a child in the early 50s, perhaps this way of battering and frying improves it!. The brown shrimp and broccoli and the chicken with ginger and shiitake mushroom ...more
Debra
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Quarto Publishing Group and Netgalley for the advanced copy of Judy Joo's Korean Soul Food! I don't often "wish" for books, but I was so happy to have received a copy of this book!
I don't generally review or purchase many cookbooks, but when I do, I have two different types I look for: Korean food and desserts.

It makes me so happy to see the rise of popularity of Korean food- not just BBQ, but of the banchan (side dishes) and stews. As a half-Korean, I grew up with Korean food and
Sunnie
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to find Korean recipes for which I would be able to easily find the ingredients. Many I can't. There was a reference to a place called HMart which specializes in Korean foods. But not near me at all. Perhaps online orders? As there are many recipes that I would like to try.

I am not a fan of Kimchi so those are classic Korean but I love Bulgogi, which was my first introduction into Korean food. I was glad to see that recipe there. And will be making that for sure!

Looking forward to
Kerrie Hoar
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Korean Scotch eggs, kimchi mac and cheese, green tea monkey bread, kimchi cheese pretzel bites, yuca meringue pie .... Judy Joo has put together a fantastic variety in her Korean Soul Food cookbook. If you like traditional, you can learn how to make kimchi or bibimbap with prawns and vegetables .... but if you like a twist, why not try philly cheesesteak dumplings, kimchi and lamb tamales or coconut red bean misugaru tiramisu ....

The recipes are easy to follow with both metric and standard
Cherry
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a lovely cookbook, beautifully set out. There are quite a few recipes that caught my eye, although I must confess it seems to be a little more fusion style than the title led me to expect. I'm also not a fan of the section title pages having enormous font with one word split on multiple lines which just made it hard to read and detracted from the appealing categories. Other than than, it is a lovely cookbook with some recipes I will be interested to try.
I received a free digital copy via
Jill
Nov 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-read, netgalley
Thank you to NetGalley and Quarto Publishing Group - White Lion Publishing for a copy of Judy Joo's Korean Soul Food: Authentic dishes and modern twists by Judy Joo. I have not cooked, or eaten, a lot of Korean food, but this book allowed me to stretch myself and try some new recipes.

The book is divided up into ten section including dumplings, rice, and meat & seafood. It starts with a very helpful introduction that describes ingredients in a Korean storecupboard providing the Korean name,
Richelle Rodarte
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had excellent instructions and beautiful pictures. It was not what I was expecting as far as authentic Korean recipes but it definitely had recipes I would try. I love the mix of Korean and Mexican flavors and I honestly feel it will be an excellent cookbook for me. However, if you are looking for truly Korea inspired recipes you may be disappointed. I received this book from NetGalley for an honest review.
Stephanie
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Judy Joo’s Korean Soul Food
My thanks to #NetGalley for this ebook in exchange for an honest review. What a fun cookbook! With 221 mouth-watering pages, Joo presents an eclectic and modern take on traditional Korean fare. The photos in this book will take the reader to another dimension! The recipes blend the familiar and exotic with easy to follow instructions and lovely introductions that provide context and inspiration. For an intriguing look at Korean culture, this one is not to be missed.
CC
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I requested this title for the Korean Mexican fusion food and it did not disappoint! But I got so many other tips and inspirations that I started making up lists as I was reading so that I can try a few new things. I really appreciate the variety of flavours, the recipes are a cross pollination of both traditional and more adventurous food which is exactly the type of thing I look for when experimenting in my own kitchen.
Pam
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC in exchange for my review.

This is a beautiful book. I have a thing for cookbooks. I love reading them and looking at the pictures, even if I don't plan to make anything from them.

This book has beautiful photos, great writing, and good tips.
Kirsten never has enough time
I don't know what I expected really. These recipes look amazing, but I don't like kimchi, seafood or chili so very few recipes are for me!
Laura Gorman
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is a wonderful variety and selection of recipes in this book. From sweet to savoury there is everything for anyone wanting to try Korean cuisine.
Linda Richardson
Elizabeth
Nov 15, 2019
Mia Datan
Nov 17, 2019

• Winner, Winner! Chicken Dinner: 50 Winning Ways to Cook it Up!
  • Modern Sourdough: Sweet and Savoury Recipes from Margot Bakery
  • The Little Women Cookbook: Tempting Recipes from the March Sisters and Their Friends and Family
  • Incredible Plant-Based Desserts: Colorful Vegan Cakes, Cookies, Tarts, and other Epic Delights
  • The DIRTY, LAZY, KETO Cookbook: Bend the Rules to Lose the Weight!
  • Ultimate Slime Extreme Edition: 100 New Recipes and Projects for Oddly Satisfying, Borax-Free Slime -- DIY Cloud Slime, Kawaii Slime, Hybrid Slimes, and More!
  • Epic Air Fryer Cookbook: 100 Inspired Recipes That Take Air-Frying in Deliciously Exciting New Directions
  • Cookies for Everyone: 99 Deliciously Customizable Bakeshop Recipes
  • The Vlogger's Handbook: Love it! Live it! Vlog it!
  • The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook: Kid-Friendly, Plant-Based Recipes [Go Meatless One Day a Week—or Every Day!]
  • The Family-Friendly Keto Instant Pot Cookbook: Delicious, Low-Carb Meals You Can Have On the Table Quickly & Easily
  • Nature Tonic: A Year in My Mindful Life
  • The Art of Watercolor Lettering: A Beginner's Step-by-Step Guide to Painting Modern Calligraphy and Lettered Art
  • Modern Colored Pencil: A playful and contemporary exploration of colored pencil drawing - Includes 75+ Projects and Techniques
  • Wonder Art Workshop: Creative Child-Led Experiences for Nurturing Imagination, Curiosity, and a Love of Learning
  • The Urban Sketching Handbook: 101 Sketching Tips: Tricks, Techniques, and Handy Hacks for Sketching on the Go
  • Zaha Hadid
  • Mindful Artist: Sumi-e Painting: Master the meditative art of Japanese brush painting