Start by marking “Girls of Paper and Fire” as Want to Read:
Girls of Paper and Fire

Girls of Paper and Fire

(Girls of Paper and Fire #1)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  17,193 ratings  ·  3,939 reviews
Uncover a riveting story of palace intrigue set in a sumptuous Asian-inspired fantasy world in the breakout YA novel that Publisher's Weekly calls "elegant and adrenaline-soaked."
*A New York Times Bestseller**#1 on the Indie Next Kid's List*
*Goodreads Best Books of November*
*B&N Top Books of November*
*Publisher's Weekly Books of the Week*
*Hypable Most Anticipated YA Book Releases*

In this richly developed fantasy, Lei is a member of the Paper caste, the lowe/>/>*Hypable/>*Publisher's/>*B&N/>*GoodreadsBestseller**#1/>*A
Published October 8th 2019 by jimmy patterson (first published November 6th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Girls of Paper and Fire, please sign up.
Natasha Ngan Hi! Thank you for your question. Just sharing my answer to someone who asked this on my author page :)

GIRLS does explore sexual assault…more

GIRLS does explore sexual assault and the traumatic aftermath, so it's a theme throughout the book. However I've tried to write it as delicately and respectfully as possible, so the scenes are (in my opinion) not graphic, but the characters do talk and think about what happened afterwards. I didn't write it with the intention to distress or shock readers - it's written with love and care, and I myself am a sexual abuse survivor. Ultimately though it's a very personal thing, so I can't tell you whether you will or won't be affected by reading it. Perhaps you can only read it on good days when you feel strong and not too vulnerable? Hope that helps! Nx(less)

·  17,193 ratings  ·  3,939 reviews

Chaima ✨ شيماء
[Sappho’s voice] Sweet mother, I cannot weave, slender Aphrodite has overcome me with longing for a secret warrior-assassin-goddess and her rebel girlfriend!!

So, what's this book about?

In Ikhara, the world our protagonist Lei inhabits, there are three castes: Moon, the reigning caste that is entirely demon; Paper, the downtrodden caste that is wholly human and Steel, who are endowed with both demon and human elements. Every year, the Moon caste’s king selects eight Paper Girls as his concu/>
Elise (TheBookishActress)
And there is a fire catching among us.

I mean, I think I knew this had My Exact Vibes from the first time I heard of it. so perhaps it’s not the biggest shock in the world that I really, really liked this, but still - this book deserves the world, and you should DEFINITELY read
Emily May
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, fantasy, arc, young-adult
And there is a fire catching among us.

This was SO MUCH MORE than I expected. Girls of Paper and Fire is a lush fantasy story that goes to some extremely dark places. The light amid this darkness is the central f/f romance that evolves gradually and naturally, never overtaking the political
Melanie

ARC provided by Hachette in exchange for an honest review.

“We might be Paper Girls, easily torn and written upon. The very title we're given suggests that we are blank, waiting to be filled. But what the Demon King and his court do not understand is that paper is flammable. And there is a fire catching among us.”

Once I heard that this was an ownvoices Asian inspired fantasy world where two girls, who are forced to be concubines to a demon king, try to overcome it all and fall in love, I knew this was
Nenia ☠️ Hecka Wicked ☠️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I am so cheesed off right now that I'm having trouble putting my fury to (virtual) paper. This is CHILDREN OF BLOOD AND BONE all over again. People were singing this book's praises for being diverse!fantasy featuring not just a heroine of color, but a heroine of color who was a lesbian. How could this be bad? I asked myself. The advance reviews were great, and almost unanimously positive. It was an F/F romance set in a fantasyscape based off Malaysia, one of the most culturally diverse pl
may ➹
I don’t want an easy life. I want a meaningful one.

I don’t think I can ever describe just how much this book means to me, but as soon as I’d heard that this book actually existed, I knew I needed it in my life. And I’m so happy that it’s getting all the hype, because this book is gorgeous and beautiful and a story we all need to read and listen to.

In this world called Ikhara, there are three castes, and a Demon King who rules them all. There’s Paper: the lowest caste, fully human, with no
Cindy Pham
Update: The more I think about this book, the more I think an accurate rating would be 3 stars, considering that I don't feel enticed enough to read the sequel. This is another case of the concept and subversion of tropes are great, but the characters and relationships are not developed well enough for me to be attached.

---

What I appreciate most about this book is that it takes the standard YA fantasy narrative of an ordinary yet “special” girl being wed to a powerful kin
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
In this fantasy world, every year, the violent and oppressive Demon King—the strongest of a caste of people marked by their animal-like appearances—takes eight Paper Girls (of the plain, human Paper caste) to become his concubines. Lei never expected to become one of those girls, but even more shocking was the twist of fate she met upon her arrival at the palace—her unstoppable and desperate fall into a forbidden love with another Paper Girl.

When I first heard the synopsis for this book, I was sold
Natasha Ngan
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Yes, I'm totally biased. But guys, this really is the book of my heart. As I say in my author note:

The story within these pages is a work of fiction, but also a work of love. The world I created in Ikhara has been heavily inspired by my experiences growing up in Malaysia, a country with a dense mix of cultures, and also as a person of mixed ethnicity. As such, it’s a bit of a hybrid—like me. I feel extremely lucky to come from a multicultural home, and it has shaped-and will forever continue to
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Just No! Doesn’t matter why! I liked Wren, that’s about it. Almost everyone else can kiss my arse! It would have to be my beautiful pink sprayed edges book!!!!

Mel
🖤🐶🐺🐾

October Fairyloot! Pink Sprayed Edges! Yessss!! Although, I think it's next month that the US and Canada are not getting sprayed edges. Only other countries and of course that made me mad because y'all know I'm addicted to sprayed edges! =D Click on link below the pic to see the goods!

LINK TO THE GOODS

This was also the Owlcrate November book. I'm tiredGOODS
This
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
I already have 301 books on my TBR

BUT

this sounds so damn intriguing.

An f/f romance,
at a palace,
nine girls that get trained as consorts?
Forbidden love?

OH JEEZ!!!
*closes eyes and presses the "want to read" button*

Oooops! *facepalm*
Lily ☁️
My full review is now up on my blog! Also, this happened … no big deal.

“I know what it means to dream about the past.
To dream about things you have loved, and lost.”

Some books entrance you with their devastatingly gorgeous, lush, and magical prose, transporting you to a whole new world with the magnificent imagery they weave, leaving you spellbound, and speechless.

Some books draw you in with characters so full of heart and soul that you feel as if you’re living their stories, le/>
Lola
In Lei’s world, demons rule over mortals and she, a Paper girl—the lowest of the casts—has no power whatsoever. Until she is sent to serve the king—in bed, mainly—and creates allies. She then realizes she might just have power after all and be meant for more than bedding the enemy.

The problem is that dear Lei feels too much. She lets her emotions show on her face at all times and reacts without thinking first. She gets in trouble because she doesn’t take the time to question and plan, someone e
Elena
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

An own-voices queer characters story about two sapphic girls who fall in love while experiencing violence and abuse as they are held as concubines to the Demon King? I was sold.

Girls of Paper and Fire is about Lei, a 17-year-old made of fire an/>Girls
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Wow wow wow. This book was so intense and amazing. I’m still processing how I feel about it. I absolutely loved it though.
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
4.5 Stars

”We might be Paper Girls, easily torn and written upon. The very title we’re given suggests that we are blank, waiting to be filled. But what the Demon King and his court do not understand is that paper is flammable. And there is a fire catching among us.

You know that special pain that comes when a book with an amazing premise fails to live up to expectations?

Now imagine the exact opposite. THAT was this book for me. That special kind of joy when a book with high expectations delivers

Lei/>
Vibur (Partial Hiatus)
I wanted so badly to love this.
Mired in suffering and pain, Girls of Paper and Fire is raw, harrowing and threaded through with themes of oppression, discrimination and sexual violence. More than that, it's fiercely empowering—a story of love and friendship, strength and determination, hope and courage.
The settings are richly imagined and the descriptions rendered in enthralling detail, lavish vignettes of Asian culture bursting with colourful, tangible life.
All the makings of what should have been an enjoyable read.

Alright, I'll attempt to organise mycourage.
The
Trina (Between Chapters)
I am very impressed. The thing that stands out to me the most is that the writing was both beautiful and engaging. I enjoyed the main character's arc, the f/f romance, the rebellion aspect, and the class politics. The ending and epilogue were great! Felt like a movie.

Audiobook: Above average, highly recommend!

tw: I would especially caution readers about the focus on sexual assault. The main character is forced into life as a courtesan that she wants no part of. To the best of my know/>
Kayla Dawn
Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
I really enjoyed the writing style, especially descriptions of clothes and the setting were done very nicely (even though some parts were a little cheesy and overdone, but I can deal with that if it's not too excessive).

The characters were fine but I think they could've gotten more depth to them and I feel like our protagonist didn't really change much throughout the whole story. Would've loved to see some growth in her (There was a little bit, but also not really u know?).
I ho
Nick
Sep 14, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This looks sensational.
C.G. Drews
Whoa this was perfectly magical and emotional and harrowing...so deserving of the hype! It's such a dark premise, but it's handled so well. And can I just say the amount of Asian #ownvoices fantasies coming out at the moment is incredible (!!) not only that this has an f/f romance, demons, rebellions, secret assassins, empowering female friendships aND A BEAUTIFUL COVER.

bless tbh, we have been blessed

➸ WORLD BUILDING
dude, this was amazing. Complex and developed, with history and lore!!/>➸
Yusra  ✨
hOW AM I SUPPOSED TO WAIT FOR THE SEQUEL I AM IN TEARS THE CLIFFHANGER IS TOO MUCH

--------------------------------------

wow, this is EVEN MORE BEAUTIFUL IN REAL LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cesar
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

*heavenly choir*

Oh my God, I love this book so much! This was one of my most anticipated reads of 2018 and it did not disappoint. I fulfilled all of my needs and paid off in the end. I cannot describe how much I enjoyed my time reading Girls of Paper and Fire.

description

This may be a fantasy story, but the messages behind it are so prevalent in our time. A lot of my friends have said that the book is about rape
Tatiana
Dec 25, 2018 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who like standard fantasies
Final thoughts

Sorry, book club, I am not going to get through this. I tried two times, and I just can't. This story has been written better by other, more talented, writers. James Patterson doesn't know what he is talking about.

Do yourself a favor read this instead:

Original hot take

I am curious, did Natasha Ngan, Tomi Adeyemi, Megan Bennett, Renee Ahdieh go to the same creative writing class? They sound exactly the same,class="gr-hostedUserImg">
Original
Heather
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fantasy
Really enjoyed this book!
✨    jamieson   ✨
And there is a fire catching among us.

when someone says there's a fantasy ya book coming out with a slowburn f/f romance following a girls struggle to defy the demon king and the misogynistic societal structures he embodies by undermining his system of choosing girls to be his co
Lex Kent
This was a good YA fantasy book. I’m a huge fantasy fan so I was excited to read this. While the pace was a tiny bit up and down at times, enough went on to keep me on my toes and to keep reading. It looks like this is going to be a start of a series which I’m happy about.

The world is split up in a three caste system with humans being the lowest and demons on top. Lei, is a human whose beauty gets her noticed and stuck in the position of being the demon kings concubine. While suppose
Acqua
I'm so glad this book, an f/f book about an Asian girl who is a survivor of sexual abuse, is a NYT bestseller.

Girls of Paper and Fire is a beautiful, necessary book. It's also very dark by YA fantasy standards. It's worth reading, but I think one should keep in mind that it contains sexual assault, animal violence/death of a pet, death of a parent, and outing.

Girls of Paper and Fire follows Lei, a queer girl living in a fantasy world inspired by Malaysia, which is ruled by a demon king who takes eight human concubine/>Girls/>Girls
Hamad
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

"We might be Paper Girls, easily torn and written upon. The very title we’re given suggests that we are blank, waiting to be filled."

🌟 It has been a week since I finished this book and I have been thinking about it the whole week. The short and direct answer is that it is a good book, but I certainly think it could have been better. I will break down my thoughts for this book which will help me giving it a final star rat/>
Bookworm Bitches : October 2019: Girls of Paper and Fire 7 50 Oct 19, 2019 08:34AM
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong Synopsis & Page number 5 38 Sep 28, 2019 06:56PM
Addicted to YA: Girls of Paper and Fire 30 151 Sep 25, 2019 10:00PM

• Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Amber & Dusk
  • The Candle and the Flame
  • Blanca & Roja
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir, #1)
  • Empress of All Seasons
  • Strange Grace
  • The Priory of the Orange Tree
  • The Girl King (The Girl King, #1)
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)
  • Outrun the Wind
  • Damsel
  • The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #1)
  • Catching Stars
  • The Lost Coast
  • The Boneless Mercies
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
Natasha Ngan is a NYT bestselling author and yoga teacher. She grew up between Malaysia, where the Chinese side of her family is from, and the UK. This multicultural upbringing continues to influence her writing, and she is passionate about bringing diverse stories to teens. Natasha studied Geography at the University of Cambridge before working as a social media consultant and fashion blogger.

Sh

Girls of Paper and Fire (3 books)
  • Girls of Storm and Shadow (Girls of Paper and Fire, #2)
  • Untitled (Girls of Paper and Fire, #3)
“I don't want an easy life. I want a meaningful one.” 91 likes