Start by marking “A Big Bed for Little Snow” as Want to Read:
A Big Bed for Little Snow

A Big Bed for Little Snow

A companion to the Caldecott Honor book A Big Mooncake for Little Star!

A heartwarming and tender picture book introducing readers to their first snow, from award-winning, bestselling author-illustrator Grace Lin.

When it was quiet, Little Snow grinned and then jumped, jumped, jumped!
Little Snow loves the new big, soft bed Mommy made him for the long, cold winter nights.
Published October 15th 2019 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about A Big Bed for Little Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Big Bed for Little Snow

Start your review of A Big Bed for Little Snow
KC
Jumping on a feather bed can be fun-as long you don't get caught. A nice companion to A Big Moon Cake for Little Star by the same author.
Dianna
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this! I liked A Big Mooncake for Little Star marginally better, but I'd still wholeheartedly recommend this one. It's a perfect book for winter!
Kellyanne
20 stars/5 stars. This is probably my favorite winter picture book of the year. I've read it with several different storytime groups (seven, to be specific) and every single one loved it. This book has lovely illustrations. It's very, very simple to get kids moving ("jumping" on the bed and "fluttering" back to their seats like snowflakes) and make the book interactive. I also love the imagery of the feathers being "snow". It might go over the heads of toddlers/younger 3s, but my preschool ...more
Janet
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Do you know a child who has never jumped on the bed? I don’t. This title is 5he story of one little boy, Little Snow, w(o listens for his Mother’s footsteps. No footsteps, it’s time to jump on the bed.
The illustrations in this title are gorgeous done in blue and white with the design of snowflakes used for the night time clothes.
If I were in charge this would be the new Caldecott Award winner in January 2020.
Laura Giessler
Dec 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I am captivated by these illustrations, the expressions on their faces. The plot is similar to Big Mooncake, with the child's disregard of his mom's instructions basically presented as "cute" (realistic and familiar, but I don't really love books that rely on this theme). The feathers coming down as snow at the end was cool, but took me awhile to make the connection and some young readers may miss it.
Emily
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: iris
Very nice, but neither as visually striking nor as clearly distilled as A Big Mooncake, which was one of my favorite picture books of last year. The mythology just takes a little more explaining and doesn't seem as natural - I think it would likely work just fine for slightly older kids, but my toddler didn't understand feathers coming out of the bed or how the feathers translated to snow.
Cara Byrne
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a perfect book for winter! As our first snowfall is expected this weekend, I can't think of a better book to curl up with than this book. _A Big Mooncake for Little Star_ is a family favorite, and while this book didn't capture my daughters in the same way, they still liked how silly Little Snow jumped and jumped on his bed.
Aolund
Despite being told not to, Little Snow can't help but jump on his bouncy feather bed every time his mother walks out of earshot, unleashing snow onto the world below as the feathers leak out from the bed. Great for a storytime, inviting kids to jump along with Little Snow's jumping.

Themes: Winter/Seasons
Ciera
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun companion to A Big Mooncake for Little Star, A Big Bed for Little Snow introduces tiny readers to their first snow in this minimally but lovingly illustrated picture book—a good book for a cozy story time, just in time for winter.
Mary
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow, there was a bit of a twist at the end that I did not see coming and I think will make kids gasp. The illustrations are just beautiful! The story is lovely and would make for a great read-aloud with 4-7 y/o.
Pam
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Little Snow has a new bed. His mom tells him not to jump on it but he ignores this and sends feathers floating down all winter. Clever explanation for snow.
Lin's illustrations are stunning and draw the reader in to feel the fun and joy.
Anthony
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Little Snow has a big new bed filled with feathers for sleeping, and not for jumping as explained by his mother. But Little Snow can't resist jumping on his bed. Every time he jumps on his bed feathers fly out, and something magical happens also.
Marcie
Oh my, I like this as much as mooncake and love that As I read it I look out tge window to see the second snow of the season just starting. Part of what I so much love is the art of the pj's with no borders. So lovely!
Jen
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As expected, this is an adorable story! I love the idea of all our snow being the result of Little Snow jumping on his big feather bed. Story and pictures are outstanding.
Benjamin
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story. Beautiful art!
Margaux
The story of Little Snow and how he jumps on his bed all winter and makes little feathers rain down on all the people who live down below. A cute little snow fable.
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
An inventive story about where snow comes from. Who doesn't like jumping on the bed?
Kelly
Going through the reviews, many people seem to have really enjoyed this book. I am not one of those readers. It was just okay.
Stephanie
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very cute and sweet. I wanted to jump on my bed after I read this!
DaNae
Oct 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Fun idea, but not the same impact as Mooncake.
Brindi Michele
I liked this one, but not as much as Mooncake. A cute concept to why it snows, though :)
Grab
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Beautiful illustrations, but the story just wasn't all that interesting
Kristina Jean Lareau
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebook
A fun concept for winter snow! Grace Lin uses negative space in the same way that she does in Big Mooncake--and it is a neat effect, but now, I would like something different.
A beautifully illustrated companion to A Big Mooncake for Little Star by Grace Lin.
Shauna Yusko
Another good “origin” myth by Lin.
Sarah Yung
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lovely, with expressive art, but I do think the mythology could've used a smidge more elucidation.
Kim
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture
Very similar to Big Mooncake for Little Star except not without the warmth of the original. I think this was a push to make a book similar but it failed to capture the magic.
Margaret Boling
Jul 02, 2019 marked it as to-read

Why I want to read this book:
Melissa
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Preschool Winter themed story time
Beth
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Beautiful illustrations in this picture book.

• Saturday