Start by marking “Fortuna” as Want to Read:
Fortuna

Fortuna

(Nova Vita Protocol #1)

Fortuna launches a new space opera trilogy that will hook you from the first crash landing.

Scorpia Kaiser has always stood in Corvus's shadow until the day her older brother abandons their family to participate in a profitless war. However, becoming the heir to her mother's smuggling operation is not an easy transition for the always rebellious, usually reckless, and occasiona/>
Published November 5th 2019 by Orbit (first published October 8th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Fortuna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fortuna

Start your review of Fortuna
Sana
Feb 16, 2019 marked it as to-read-so-bad-it-hurts  ·  review of another edition
THIS IS ABOUT A WHOLE-ASS FAMILY OF SPACE SMUGGLERS, YESSSS
Christine Sandquist (eriophora)
This review and others can be read on my blog, Black Forest Basilisks.

Fortuna’s premise snagged me in an instant – a whole family of space smugglers! Devastating massacres! A young, roguish captain vying for power! How could I resist? Yet, while it didn’t disappoint… neither did it impress. Advertised as “Perfect for fans of Becky Chambers and Catherynne M. Valente,” I came in expecting both a fascinating, non-conventional setting combined with a cast of truly lovable and kind characters. Ultimat
Koeur
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 1.7/5

Review: I think this is a new writer and I am the first one to plant an ol’ review on here. So I am thinking kind(er) thoughts and expressing in a more…voluble way.

This would have been great…IF the story line either shjt or got off the pot. The long winded and winding road that leads to a culmination in barely audible farts, left me bereft of the want I feel for characters. Take for instance, Scorpia. Well, how many times do we have to experience her stupid choices an/>Review:
FanFiAddict
Rating: ★★★☆☆+

Synopsis

Scorpia Kaiser has always stood in Corvus’s shadow until the day her older brother abandons their family to participate in a profitless war. However, becoming the heir to her mother’s smuggling operation is not an easy transition for the always rebellious, usually reckless, and occasionally drunk pilot of the Fortuna, an aging cargo ship and the onl
Cat C
Nov 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sci-fi adventure with complicated family dynamics

I was really frustrated with the first half of this book - it moved slowly and I absolutely hated one of our narrators, Scorpia (her brother Circus is the other). But once the main event finally kicked into gear, both horrible and fascinating, I couldn't put that book down. So in terms of pacing I guess you have to be patient and remember this is a planned trilogy, though there is a satisfying narrative arc in this book.

A little more
Will
4.2 / 5 ✪

Fortuna is the space opera debut from Wastelanders author Kristyn Merbeth. This one has been on my radar for a while, only partly due to its absolutely beautiful cover. Two siblings, separated by time and space, reunite at the turning point of all things.

Scorpia Kaiser once stood in her elder brother’s shadow. But when three years prior, he aband
Edwin Howard
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FORTUNA, by Kristyn Merbeth, is about a family (the Kaisers) of ethically questionable traders/smugglers who live on a ship called the Fortuna. In this this epic space novel, the reader finds the family in flux, the mother of the group is looking towards retirement, the oldest daughter, Scorpia, eyes taking over the ship and the business, but being an impulsive drunk holds her back. A surprise return of the eldest child, Corvus, makes line of succession even more complicated and the rest of the ...more
Hannah Vestal
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Kaiser family is my new favorite space family.

I read Fortuna as an eARC from NetGalley, so thank you for the opportunity to read and review this novel.

Space. A family of smugglers. Political drama. How could I resist reading Fortuna with this sort of content?

Fortuna follows the story of the Kaisers, particularly the eldest two, Scorpia and Corvus, who follow in their Momma’s footsteps to be ruthless smugglers. After a job goes south, the Kaisers must decid
Shaun
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This was such a quick and easy 500 page read that I can't call it anything except Young Adult Fiction with a small bit of swearing and a fair amount of violence (New Adult Fiction?). The main character is a 27 year old woman who essentially talks and acts like a 17 year old girl. Not sure why people are going out of their way to tag this 'adult' when it's truly not.

In saying that it is a very interesting premise and story set into a promising solar system setting. I had no problem wi
Sarah Andersen
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book! I haven't read a book in awhile just about a family, and one that are criminals and not exactly strong with a moral compass. The points of view from the eldest brother and sister who haven't seen each other in 3 years. I especially loved seeing them deal with their issues and come together to deal with major conflict of the story. The world building was great, it was extremely fast paced but was also able to really get into our lead characters heads, exploring issues ...more
Heather Brock
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-won, giveaways
SPACE SMUGGLERS. That should say it all, really. Fortuna was a fun space romp to read. I really appreciate Kristyn Merbeth writing characters that are bi/pansexual and non-binary, and doing so without it feeling contrived or a focus of the character. I thought it was executed well. Scorpia is definitely rough around the edges, but that is part of her appeal. I also like Drom and Corvus.I'm not sure where the author plans to go from here exactly, but I do hope we get to read from the POVs of Lyre ...more
Victoria
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This is one of the better science fictions I've read in awhile. The way the author immerses the Kaiser family really makes you feel like you are a part of them. A slightly abusive mother, a partly functioning alcoholic, muscle twins, book nerd, and a soldier. Lots of action and drama. I give all the stars and cannot wait for book two.
Steve Bender
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this ebook n a Goodreads Giveaway. It is an intriguing space opera with tangled family loyalties and a solar system with 5 different cultures Neat story and very entertaining.all deriving from earth.
Paul
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a little tedious a times, but sometimes that's what you get in a space opera. I can tell this is the author's first novel, and shows promise. The characters are pretty well conceived and the plot is mostly entertaining.

I really appreciate the advanced copy for review!!
Kay Mcleer
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this space opera. the world built was great and I enjoyed reading about the characters and thought they were well-written.
Amy A