Start by marking “This Is Going to Hurt: Secret Diaries of a Medical Resident” as Want to Read:
This Is Going to Hurt: Secret Diaries of a Medical Resident

This Is Going to Hurt: Secret Diaries of a Medical Resident

4.40  ·  Rating details ·  176,380 ratings  ·  11,825 reviews
Bestselling author Adam Kay tells us the hilarious — and sometimes horrifying — truth about life and work in a hospital.

Welcome to 97-hour weeks. Welcome to life and death decisions. Welcome to a constant tsunami of bodily fluids. Welcome to earning less than the hospital parking meter. Wave goodbye to your friends and relationships. Welcome to the life of a first-year doc
Published December 3rd 2019 by Little, Brown Spark (first published September 7th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about This Is Going to Hurt, please sign up.
Chloe Edges You can't. The author is not writing for the good of his health. Try amazon or audible.…moreYou can't. The author is not writing for the good of his health. Try amazon or audible.(less)
Muna I recommend that you buy it or borrow it from the library and then pick a nice, comfortable spot and just start reading, don't stop. Don't stop until …moreI recommend that you buy it or borrow it from the library and then pick a nice, comfortable spot and just start reading, don't stop. Don't stop until you've read a couple of pages. Then when you're at the end of an entry that captures your attention, stop. Stop in order to think and reflect on what you would do differently if you were in Adam's shoes? How would you react to certain patients? How would you handle certain situations? This is how I went about reading it. I also found that the best time to read it was when I wasn't massively busy with anything. That way, I was able to concentrate and enjoy the book more than I thought I would. Maybe you could try it and see if this method works for you too :) (less)

·  176,380 ratings  ·  11,825 reviews

Start your review of This Is Going to Hurt: Secret Diaries of a Medical Resident
Emily May
“So I told them the truth: the hours are terrible, the pay is terrible, the conditions are terrible; you’re underappreciated, unsupported, disrespected and frequently physically endangered. But there’s no better job in the world.”

I devoured this book in a single sitting. It is rare to find a book that can make you laugh and cry in equal measure-- especially, I think, a nonfiction book --but this one managed it just fine.

It's very British, with references to British TV shows I'm pretty sure t
Petra-X Off having adventures
I finished the book. It was a mostly irreverent look at the early years of being a junior doctor, then an obstetrician, until something catastrophic happens to a patient and the author turned from medicine to writing comedy. It was an excellent read, one good anecdote after another and rather than a review I'd like to summarise two. One concerns herbal medicine and the other the very serious topic of spousal abuse and how the hospital dealt with it in pregnant women.

1. Herbal A woman had come to
Ruby Granger
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SUCH an important book. Anyone who does not work in the NHS should be obliged to read this.
jessica
Nov 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is an overall entertaining read and one that has a massive societal importance. it often goes unrecognised just how difficult it is for a doctor during their residency.
‘so i told them the truth: the hours are terrible, the pay is terrible, the conditions are terrible; youre underappreciated, unsupported, disrespected and frequently physically endangered. but theres no better job in the world.’
as someone who worked in a hospital for years, i saw just how hard doctors (and all medical st
Sara
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘Promise me this, next time the government takes its pickaxe to the NHS, don’t just accept what the politicians try to feed you.’

2020 - Listened to this on Audio book, its narrated by Adam Kay and it's every bit as heartwrenching as it was the first time around.

This book had me laughing hysterically one minute and desperately trying not to cry the next.
It was heart warming, hilarious and devastating all at once.
Easy 5*s
Emma
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
A genuinely funny collection of stories from a former doctor; some so horrifying, surprising, or amusing that I had those hard-to-breathe-while-laughing moments, immediately making Audible clips and sending them to all my friends. It's not for the squeamish, be prepared for lots of blood, births, bad language, and assorted 'implements' stuck in places they really shouldn't be. Rarely have I been so impressed (if that’s the right word) by the willingness of individuals to achieve a memorable sex ...more
Sean Barrs
Nov 20, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-star-reads
I once met Adam Kay, and he left a distinct negative impression on me.

He was performing at the theatre where I used to work. And I feel like I can write this now, I no longer work there so these words are not a reflection on the business but merely the words of a disgruntled former employee. So, Adam came on a busy Saturday night where we had sold all the seats. His name was popular, and people wanted to hear what he had to say. He and his manager approached me to tell me about their show, the v
Dr. Appu Sasidharan
Summary (Throwback Review)
This is a memoir of Adam Kay’s life on NHS front line. This book has the potential to make you smile due to Kay’s hilarious writing and also make you cry due to some of the unfortunate events mentioned.

Some interesting topics discussed in this book
Adam Kay was able to discuss almost all the crucial things in Medicine in the short memoir directly or indirectly. If we read between the lines, we can clearly see the Butterfly effect prevalent in Medicine.

It d
Jack Edwards
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most beautiful, heart-wrenching, hilarious books I will ever have the pleasure of reading. Adam Kay's style of writing is immaculate - so dry yet dripping with witticisms and hysterical anecdotes. I genuinely had to ration my reading of this because I couldn't put it down. I highly recommend this book, and wish it could be dished out as prescribed reading (if you'll pardon the pun). ...more
Diane S ☔
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nfr-2020
I so needed this book. Of course in the states we don't have National Health, but many of the snippets of humor are universal. Irreverent humor, spread around. If you are easily offended this book is probably not one you want to read. The many things people can put in their bodies, unreal. Some of the stories are cringe worthy, some unbelievable, but things these young doctors encounter.

The ending though was serious and includes a letter to the National Health service, explaining the many change
Dem
Feb 27, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-for-me
A series of supposedly funny anecdotes that felt more like a podcast than a novel.
Adam Kay was a junior doctor from 2004 until 2010, before a devastating experience on a ward caused him to reconsider his future. He kept a diary throughout his training, and This Is Going to Hurt intersperses tales from the front line of the NHS with reflections on the current crisis. .
This is one of those books that I keep getting asked about "Did you read This Is Going to Hurt: Secret Diaries of a Junior Do
Sara
I loved this. In part funny and heartwarming, yet also utterly heartbreaking and disillusioned. I think this strikes a particular cord with me at the moment as the author was an obs & gynae doctor, and I’ve recently spent time myself as an inpatient on such a ward.

This is the first book in a while where I’ve read passages out to my husband while laughing out loud one minute and then had to hold back tears the next. It’s a full on rollercoaster of emotions that also seems to very accurately desc
Lucy Langford
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4****

Today crossed the line from everyday patient idiocy to me checking around the room for hidden cameras. After a lengthy discussion with a patient’s husband about how absolutely no condoms fit him, I establish he’s pulling them right down over his balls.

Extremely witty and funny!! I fully appreciated the use of Harry Potter aliases.

This gives a realistic picture of what it is like to work for the NHS as a junior doctor and jut trying to make your way up the ranks. It is a sad state the way t
Abby Sowden
Jul 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a DNF for me, as a nurse working in the emergency room, I can relate to a lot of the references in this book, especially the dark humour - that’s how we healthcare professionals get through the stress of work. However, I could not stand Kay’s obnoxious views on the struggles doctors deal with day to day, yes being a doctor is relentless, stressful and brings little reward, however he seemed to me to be completely disrespectful of other healthcare professionals and actually quite insulti ...more
Alice Lippart
Funny and devastating. Not for the squeamish.
Sonja Arlow
I am going to be in so much trouble when my sister finds out I gave this book to my niece as this is probably not a very appropriate book for a 17-year-old. But she is determined to become a doctor and she needs to know it’s not just about rockstar surgeries and making buckets of money. It is the most insane working hours, thankless work with crap pay.

The diary entries follow Adam’s ascend through the ranks, from a junior doctor to becoming a consultant, specialising in gynaecology or “brats and
Kayla Dawn
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Welp. Never laughed as much reading a book and if so such book certainly didn't also make me cry like this one. ...more
Lauren
Dec 05, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
*Unpopular opinion*

This was a DNF for me.

I went into this book not really knowing what to expect so it probably shouldn't come as a complete surprise then that I didn't finish it. I think this book sums up why I never went into Medicine and in order to survive in the medical world, you need to detach yourself from some pretty horrific things.

Kay describes mortality in a very glib way which I suppose is accurate coming from a Doctor who deals with death on a regular basis. To me though life is m
Hamad
Mar 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, 2019-reads
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

Actual Rating : 3.5 stars

“A great doctor must have a huge heart and a distended aorta through which pumps a vast lake of compassion and human kindness.”

🌟 Yet another non-fiction I am reviewing at my blog! Who am I???
This book is special since it is an insight to the medical field. I read this as a medical student but I am reviewing it as a doctor now.

🌟 The book had a shaky start and I was not impressed which I actua
Lea
Adam Kay is not the most likable person, he can be cocky, narcissistic and make completely inappropriate jokes about his former patients, but at the end of the book when he shows his emotional side and reveals reasons left medicine and that part was hitting a bullseye for me. I could resonate with every single word he wrote, and I'm sure, most doctors can.

''It’s a system that barely has enough slack to allow for sick leave, let alone something as intangible as recovering from an awful day. And,
Kaitlin
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a non-fiction read all about the NHS and the way that the system works. It's told in a diary format from the years when Adam Kay was a junior doctor and was part of the system. We see how the NHS has been struggling as time goes on to keep up the standards and staff levels, and we see the strain it can take on a doctor. We also get to see the way that Adam Kay dealt with many of the tests on his own time and relationships.

However, at the heart of this story it's all about humour and anec
André Oliveira
This book was just fine.

Adam Kay tells us some stories about being a doctor in a hospital, some are really funny, some are tragic. He tackles some NHS problems as well and how they can make a difference between a good or a bad treatment.

Some context: My girlfriend is a nurse so some of the stories or situations were not new to me and for me, it's normal that I felt bored reading some of the stories.

That being said: this book is important. It shows how working in a hospital is like, the stress th
~Bookishly~
This book was an amazing insight into the life of a former Doctor. It is set out in the format of a diary, which made for easy reading. I found some of the diary entries so utterly horrifying and surprising, I was sitting there thinking, what the hell? Put it this way, there was a tremendous amount of talk on people inserting extremely weird and wonderful objects up their vaginas to improve their sex lives. Yes, I was cringing.
This book was written light heartedly, and a great deal of it was act
Johann (jobis89)
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A first-hand account of life as a junior doctor in all its joy, pain, sacrifice and maddening bureaucracy.

A really eye-opening read that provides insight into what it's really like to work for the NHS. My mother has been a nurse for 30+ years and from her I know how har
Joey Woolfardis
The first time in many years that I have stayed up late at night, curled up in bed, and read from start to finish an entire book.

From 8pm until a couple minutes after 1 o'clock the next morning, I devoured this book.

It is beautiful, wonderful, poignant, hilarious, heart-wrenchingly sad, happy and every other emotion humans ever feel.

A full review to follow, but the NHS needs to be saved right now.
Lo O'Neill
“3am attendance at labour ward triage. Patient RO is 25 years old and 30 weeks into her first pregnancy. She complains of a large number of painless spots on her tongue. Diagnosis: taste buds.”

I realised that I was going to love this book when I read the dedication and introduction, Kay’s brand of humour is right up my street; who doesn’t love a book whose dedication reads:

To James:for his wavering supporting.
And to me:without whom this book would not have been possible".

Then on to introductio
James
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘This is Going to Hurt’ (2017) is essentially Adam Kay’s account of his time as a junior doctor in the UK’s National Health Service.

‘This is Going to Hurt’ is by turns, funny, moving, revealing, heartening and shocking. Kay has given us a very human account of life in the NHS in the role of a junior doctor and brings into sharp focus the absurdly long shifts and the super-human demands that are imposed and expected of doctors and many other health professionals in the NHS. It’s an account that
Leo Robertson
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!

Breezed through this one. The sense of humour worked well, balanced with the horrors of Kay's job.

An Xmas present from my sis. She said, "You won't regret quitting medicine after reading this."

She knows I don't, really, though reading this I wondered if I would.

I think people assume I regret quitting medicine more than I do, which is, not at all. It had "not for me" all over it, and I've never experienced such an immense relief since leaving. My body was like, "Yeees, shut this shit do
Whitney
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall: I loved this one and laughed so many times I lost count. I loved it so much that I read it in a day but it would be a great book to read and put down and come back to often 4/5 or 7.5/10

Summary:
“The difference is obviously the whole ‘life and death’ thing, which is what separates this job from all others, and makes it so unfathomable to people on the outside.”

A collection of diary entries from a junior doctor working in labor and delivery. Some stories are hysterical, some are heartbr
Serena
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars!

This book is a collection of numerous diary entries that gives the reader a strong and revealing insight into life as a junior doctor.

I am forever in awe of healthcare professionals and the emotional rollercoaster they must face daily. I know life as a doctor must be tough and exhausting, but these detailed and personal accounts really highlight just how intense it can be. The NHS staff are both remarkably valuable and tremendously underpaid.

"97-hour weeks. Life and death decisions.

• Everything I Know About Love
  • Unnatural Causes: The Life and Many Deaths of Britain's Top Forensic Pathologist
  • The Prison Doctor
  • Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine
  • Queenie
  • The Secret Barrister: Stories of the Law and How It's Broken
  • Conversations with Friends
  • The Tattooist of Auschwitz (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #1)
  • Blood Orange
  • War Doctor: Surgery on the Front Line
  • So Lucky
  • Women Don't Owe You Pretty
  • The Thursday Murder Club (Thursday Murder Club, #1)
Adam Kay is an award-winning comedian and writer. He previously worked for many years as a junior doctor. His first book "This is Going to Hurt: Secret Diaries of a Junior Doctor" was a Sunday Times number one bestseller for over a year and has sold over two million copies. It has been translated into 37 languages and is winner of four National Book Awards, including Book of the Year, and will be ...more