Start by marking “The Order of St. Michael: A Bud Hutchins Thriller (Book #1)” as Want to Read:
The Order of St. Michael: A Bud Hutchins Thriller (Book #1)

The Order of St. Michael: A Bud Hutchins Thriller (Book #1)

What do you get when you pair a smart-mouthed geek with a fake English accent and a disciplined, headstrong woman with incredible powers?

Meet Bud Hutchins, a socially awkward super genius who talks too much and can’t get out of his own way. Will he heed the call to join the Order and save humanity?
Eh, maybe.
Meet Maeve, a beautiful young woman who happens to be a monk of an

To ask other readers questions about The Order of St. Michael, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Order of St. Michael

Sonya
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay. This book, The Order of St. Michael: A Bud Hutchins Thriller by J.B. Michaels is different - strange - good - entertaining - enjoyable in a really weird way. It's short and a fast read. I asked my husband to pick me out a book that didn't take too long and was good. He did.

It took me awhile to get used to the writing style. But once I did, I got into the story. The author just writes the story without all the fluff. He does his best to form the main character as the action progresses. I b
Donna Thompson
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-read
"The Order of St. Michael," by JB Michaels is a fun and quirky read. This action adventure for young adults has it all and basically stands in a category and genre of its own. There is adventure galore, including teleportation, crazy/evil scientists, werewolves, zombies, androids, kidnapping, poisoning and ancient blood-sacrificing cults. Bud and Maeve make a wonderful team and their banter as they traverse the globe, make for some fun and witty reading. I especially liked the tie-in to The Wolf ...more
Mike Siedschlag
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hi everybody, I'm Baaaack!

Still recuperating from five level neck fusion, but getting back into it. I actually finished this book before surgery but was unable to post a review.

I read a print copy of The Order of St. Michael : A Bud Hutchins Thriller by J. B. Michaels.

This was a really fun read. In the flavor of the books I read as a young reader, kids doing the smart, heroic stuff without those pesky adults getting in the way.

Make no mistake, The Order of St. Michael is a middle grade/ YA book
Rita
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting and intriguing story of witches, monks, power, and pure evil. A teenage genius, Bud Hutchins, has invented a good number of items. His best inventions include a teleportation device. He has many uses for his device. However, a professor has stolen some of the devices for his own use. Brother Michael is using the devices to bring evil through portals to destroy the Christian religion. Bud meets a young woman who is a witch. As they begin to unravel the mystery they find a lot o ...more
Rebecca Davison
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Surprisingly Fun Read!

I'm so glad I decided to buy this book. I'm usually not into thrillers but decided to try something new. I really thought the character of Bud Hutchins was refreshing to read about. I was a little surprised with the choice of side characters but it did work for this story as it lent to its comedic aspect. In fact, I had a smile plastered to my face quite often throughout this book. It was really just what I needed. I can also do a chapter read with this book to my kids wh
Emmy
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the various supernatural characters were at each destination point.
This was a fabulous, well-conceived concept with a solid foundation for the story.
The characters were fresh and innocent- in the sense they are someone I would like to know better. Allthough the non stop action (and travel! :D ) didn't offer us much chance to *really* get to know them.
I enjoyed this book and I'm looking forward to reading more from this author.
Bobbie
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was given to me by the author in exchange for a review. I'm so glad it was. It was an entertaining read, a paranormal; suspense thriller that begins with Michael the main character in Salem Mass. He will confront and take on several vicious demons throughout the story. Check it out, I think you'll enjoy it.I look forward to reading more books by this author- JB Michaels. This was an entertaining read.
Gay
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting start. It looks like it would be a good story but stopped really short. I'm not sure if it is a short story (with no ending), or just a sample. I got the idea that a lot more was going to happen.
Jackie
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful book of evil spirits to keep your interest. Bud is such a perfect character for this role. He's so believable and you just want to keep on reading until you're done
Charles Ray
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bud Hutchins, an eccentric genius, has invented a machine that allows people to teleport. Now, someone has stolen it, and the key to its recovery is the grisly murder of a monk who belonged to an order formed to keep evil spirits at bay.
In J. B. Michaels’, The Order of St. Michael, Hutchins travels Salem’s forests to Louisiana’s bayous to the Welsh countryside, fighting witches, zombies, and monsters along the way, in his quest to retrieve his machine before it’s used to create total chaos.
An en
Liquid Frost
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Brainiac Bud – a teen genius is tracking down some stolen tech and stumbles into witches, murder, and a whole new shadow society. Oh, there are zombies, too!

This is a true YA read. There are a few S bombs, one F bomb and some blood and death. The rest is cheeky Bud and his easy-to-read adventure. I had to get myself into the mindset to read this, but once I did – it was pretty fun. There are a few typos and the paperback formatting is off a bit (see picture) – otherwise, this flows well, keeps a
Bonnie Dale Keck
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other
Not on ku but set of books for the price of one type thing, or buy then higher individually, even though the title did stick the song in my head. It will go away by the time you read all of them {not sure why picture looks as if 4, pretty sure only 3} and leave you wanting more. From the comments I see so far, everyone seems to think it is what amounts to a book version of Supernatural, although I never read the reviews until after the book myself. Got set free.

THE SECRET SNOWBALL - THE BRETHREN
Lisa Eiff
This was an enjoyable read. When I first started reading this novel, it was a little hard for me to grasp at first...but then things just seemed to ride smoothly the rest of the way through. With hints of witches, zombies, blood sacrifices and werewolves...there's plenty of action to go around in this short read. It's surprisingly suspenseful, despite it's limited page number.
Amy Shannon
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ingenious

It's a story with a quirky and genius inventor as the main character. It's fun and filled with suspense. It has supernatural tendencies, and I liked the uniqueness of the story. Bud is a great character and he is fun. He's an inventor whose technology abdomen, and he's on a quest to find the thief but that's just the beginning. Things are not as they seem and that's why this bok is so wonderful. It'll keep the reader guessing and second guessing what is right th here in the pages, and w
Dejanira Dawn
I've only received part 1 of this book. I thought I was getting the whole thing but I guess not.

Anyway, it was very hard for me to stay focus while reading it. It didn't really grab my attention. Maybe if I had a physical copy of the book it'd be different
Roger
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I guess it's a J.B. Michaels day, This is my third consecutive J.B. Michaels book of the day and my fourth overall. I like his writing and the genre. The book is well-written and action-packed.
J.E. Grace
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the quirkiness and humorous side of Bud, the main character. This story is full of witches, werewolves, zombies, and lots of teleportation which contributed to a great adventure.

Even though this was a Young Adult read, it was still very entertaining for me as an adult. For a moment, I was able to relive my days as a young reader, when books would transport me to worlds without limits. I enjoyed this fast paced story which kept me connected as a reader. I look forward to reading more fr
Bailey Marissa
(2.4)

This was...interesting...to say the least. It is a great concept, but it's clunky and reads like one of those really old private eye detective shows that was over dramatic.

Recommended 12+ for some language and violence.

Disclaimer: I received this for free when I was signed up for his newsletter when I was entering a contest. It does not affect my thoughts/views on this book. (Blah, blah, blah, we all know what's up.)
Quilting Tangent
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An action science fiction adventure. With witches, zombies, blood sacrifices, werewolves and teleportation, there is something for everybody. Interesting characters that keep the story following. Looking forward to book 2.
Glen
I won this novel in a goodreads drawing.

A kid is tracking down his stolen teleport tech, when he encounters witches, magic, and all that good stuff.

Not bad, even if the hero is a pretentious freak.
Maggie
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
As short as it is - couldn’t bring myself to finish it. DNF at 30%. Not giving it a 1 star as the author doesn’t have many reviews and some folks like it, don’t want to skew his ratings too much.
Daniel
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't think much of this. The dialogue seemed forced and unnatural. The ending was something pulled out of thin air. It just didn't satisfy me.
J.B. Michaels
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed By Jack Magnus for Readers’ Favorite

J.B. Michaels' contemporary paranormal fantasy for young adults, The Order of St. Michael: A Bud Hutchins Thriller, introduces a new sleuth who combines the deductive reasoning of a young Sherlock Holmes with the uncanny and instinctive gift for coping with the unnatural of Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden. I started to smile as I listened to Bud's discourse on the condition of the corpse he encounters and kept smiling throughout this exciting, original an
David
Feb 21, 2019
Joyce E.S.
Dec 04, 2018
Andrew
rated it did not like it
Jan 19, 2019
Elizabeth
Jun 09, 2018
  • The Rival Pack (Werewolf High #8)
  • Dark Water (A Little Mermaid Reverse Fairytale Book 1)
  • Hidden Magic (An Ancient Magic, #1)
  • Chosen (Curse of the Draekon #1)
  • Last Chance (DarkWorld: SkinWalker #3)
  • Dracones Revelations (Dracones, #2)
  • Storm Shift: Kitsune and Shaman novel (Nine Tails Series Book 2)
  • Slayer (Dragon Tamer Book 1)
  • The Five-Petal Knot (The Witching World, #2)
  • Dark Divide (The Vampire Prophecy #2)
  • Elementals: a Limited Edition Urban Fantasy Collection
  • Silver Hollow Paranormal Cozy Mystery Books 1-3 (Silver Hollow Cozy Mysteries Box-Set Book 1)
  • In Sickness and In Elf (Paranormal Wedding Planners #1)
  • Dawning Ascent (The Pearson Prophecy #1)
  • Rogue's Quest (Dragon Chameleon #1)
  • A Bond Of Blood and Fire (The Goddess and the Guardians, #2)
  • Avis Blackthorn: The Magical Multicolour Jumper (Wizard Magic School, #2)
  • Scorched
USA TODAY BESTSELLING AND AWARD-WINNING AUTHOR!

Greetings! For the official site of JB Michaels head on over to http://mistermichaels.com/ for two free books!

J. B. Michaels, multi-award winning author and member of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators, has written stories since he was in fourth grade. He is a history teacher who loves his job.

Married and with a son, Michaels has