Start by marking “The Chestnut Challenge” as Want to Read:
The Chestnut Challenge

The Chestnut Challenge

(Nocturnals Early Reader )

In The Chestnut Challenge, Tobin, a sweet pangolin, Bismark, a loud-mouthed sugar glider, and Dawn, a serious fox, are playing a game of Chestnuts when Chandler, a conniving chinchilla, challenges Tobin for the title of Chestnut Champion. However, after a series of strange distractions occur, the Brigade begins to suspect that something is not quite right. Chandler is a ...more
Published April 23rd 2019 by Fabled Films Press

To ask other readers questions about The Chestnut Challenge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chestnut Challenge

Start your review of The Chestnut Challenge
Debra Slonek
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
The Nocturnal Brigade returns with a new adventure and valuable lessons to be learned. On a beautiful night in the forest, Tobin, Bismark, and Dawn are enjoying a friendly game of Chestnut Checkers.

As Bismark was making quick decisions, Tobin took his time with each turn. They learned that impulsiveness and speed doesn’t trump careful thinking and patience.

As a cheeky chinchilla named Chandler challenged the Nocturnals to a game of Chestnut Checkers, many more lessons were learned. Chandler
Betty
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dawn (the red fox), Tobin (a pangolin), and Bismark (a sugar glider) are the core cast of characters for the series. In this book they meet Chandler, the chinchilla. While the trio of friends are playing a game of Chestnut Challenge Chandler appears and claims to be the Chestnut Champion. He challenges sweet, passive Tobin to a game. Well, chirping chickadees”, Chandler cheats. Dawn, in her usual compassionate, diplomatic manner lets Chandler know that champions do not cheat and invites Chandler ...more
Karen Arendt
I love the introduction of a new character to the Nocturnals gang. Chandler the chinchilla learns a lesson about winning and losing. Dawn, ever the calming leader, does bot judge or criticize but explains why cheating is never the best solution.
Suzanne
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-kid-lit
Fans of The Nocturnals and their leveled reader series will easily recognize Dawn, Tobin, and Bismark. But who is this new character with them on the cover of the book? That is Chandler, a "conniving chinchilla." When he finds the friends playing Chestnut checkers, Chandler announces that he is the "real chestnut champion" and challenges Tobin to a game. The mild-mannered pangolin enjoys playing for fun, not competition. He reluctantly agrees to play this new acquaintance, but something ...more
Claire Annette
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing

What do a fox named Dawn, a pangolin named Tobin, and a sugar glider with an attitude named Bismark have in common? They are nocturnal animals who become great friends and share night time adventures. In The Chestnut Challenge, the Nocturnals, as they call themselves, are enjoying their game when they are interrupted by Chandler, a loud and pushy chinchilla.
Chandler challenges Tobin to a game. The pangolin is not competitive - he just likes to play for fun. But he's a good sport and agrees to a
Beverly Jones
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
In The Chestnut Challenge, the nocturnal trio of silly animals are off on a new adventure in their neck of the woods. While the friends are playing a game of chestnut checkers, they discover some new competition: Chandler the chinchilla. Chandler challenges Tobin the pangolin to a game to determine the true checkers champion. But it turns out that Chandler the chinchilla is nothing more than a checkers cheater. When Chandler is caught in the act, the friends are upset, but they offer the ...more
Trisha Perry
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is another wonderful adventure with our friends Bismark the sugar glider, Dawn the fox, Tobin the pangolin. In this book they meet a new friend Chandler the chinchilla, he claims to be the chestnut (checkers) champion, but after a rough start the friend come together and decide playing for fun is much better than playing for champions. I really like these book because besides meeting new animals you learn a lesson in a calm friendly way, and this is so helpful in such a angry world we live ...more
Michelle Rodriguez
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a teacher, I am always trying to encourage my students to develop good play skills. I find myself mediating arguments caused by children not playing nicely or cheating to win quite often, so I was very excited to read this book at storytime. We’ve read the Nocturnals before, so the children were familiar with the characters, and as always the fun illustrations grabbed their attention and kept them engaged in the reading. As I’d hoped, reading The Chestnut Challenge together was a great way to ...more
Stacey Ashton
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My nephew and I read the book over the last two weekends. He is a big gamer and is always concerned about whether other kids are "playing fair" and about winning. The main character--Chandler the chinchilla who cheats at chestnuts is THAT kid that my nephew doesn't understand. As always The Nocturnals beginner reader books gave us a way to talk about the why! In this case we laughed at Chandler's antics to win the game and appreciated how earnest Tobin the pangolin was in trying to play fair and ...more
Carol
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a children's book geared toward grades 2 to 3. The story is about a group of nocturnal animals playing a game of chestnuts. It imparts the lesson of fair play, how cheating is wrong, and games should be played for fun. A simple story with nice illustrations. Two added bonuses that I particularly liked are the fun facts about nocturnal animals at the end and the ability to download free printable games about nocturnal animals.

I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Amanda
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great Level 3 Grow and Read book about friendship and sportsmanship. The illustrations are colorful and fun and the story is imaginative and fun. This book also includes fun facts about the nocturnals at the end. Some 2-3rd grade readers might find the fun facts section a little more difficult to read than the rest of the story. Overall, this is a fun read that I recommend. I give you a look inside the book here: https://readervacation.wordpress.com/....
Monica
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really sweet read! I enjoyed the story and thought the messaged was clear and well received! I loved the illustrations and thought they were super cute. I also thought it was nice that the last few pages included descriptions about the animals in the book, allowing for children to learn even more about the forest animals. I will definitely be reading this book to my younger cousin!

[Received this book through a goodreads giveaway]
Jaymie
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it
[I received a review copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.]

3.5 stars. Solid story with interesting core characters. I loved that the characters have clear personalities. Subject matter of this story is cheating. Solid message about second chances, playing for fun, and practicing to improve rather than cheat. I liked learning about some unusual nocturnal animals. I would definitely check out the rest of this series.
Jennifer Lee
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yet another great read from The Nocturnals. I’m always looking for ways to encourage my two kids to play nicely, and this book was a perfect way to reinforce the idea that “playing fair” is more important than winning. I read this with my younger child, who is in second grade, and it gave us a space to talk about how you can have fun even if you aren’t winning, and how important it is to not get frustrated and try to cheat your way out of a loss.
Ashley Simoneau
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 4 year old and I loved this book!! I loved the animals. The characters were interesting to my son and so was the story. The illustrations were great.
I'd definitely recommend this for other family's to read.
Cheryl Harrell
Jun 21, 2019 rated it liked it
The Chestnut Challenge handles the topic of cheating with finesse and kindness. My four-year-old and I love the friendly characters and the drawings, and we especially enjoyed the descriptions of the animals at the back of the book.

(I received an advance review copy of this book.)
Dee
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The kids really enjoyed this and read it as one of their summer reading books. Even at 6 my youngest greatly enjoyed each characters strong personality and wit.
Now he wants me to order the others that this wonderful and talented author has made and I shall with great pleasure.
Dawn
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My daughter really enjoyed this book. She struggled with some words but loved that it’s a chapter book. I thought the story was good.
Raven Black
Higher level so your kids can grow with these characters. Deals with the theme to be a winner don't cheat and have fun when playing a game in a simple format
ERIC
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book to read with your kid.. The imagery is very nice and the story teaches a good lesson. I am planning to buy more of these books for my son.
K-BRC
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
THE CHESTNUT CHALLENGE is a level III reader. I’d probably call it a Level II concepts and vocabulary. I wish more info were given on the habitats of the animals to develop more background. The illustrations were quite good. I would recommend for grades 1.5-2.5. The illustrations were fabulous with great animal expressions!
Rita Evans
It was a cute book for children that teaches the importance of fair play. I will be giving this to my
great granddaughter for Christmas if not sooner.
Kristen
This was a cute book with an nice message.
Doug Wauneka
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book was excellent. Grandchild loved it!
Willa
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've won a few children's book from Goodreads. I think this is the first one I really, truly enjoyed and I can't wait to give it to my granddaughter. This was an enjoyable story with a moral.
Bonnie Arriola
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is a fun way for early readers to be introduced to different critters, and learn a few facts about the world around them. Children and chestnuts learn from chandler that cheating is no fun!
Sam Sig
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book with my baby cousin the other day and I thought it was absolutely adorable! My cousin was fascinated by the pictures and the unusual animals, and the message of playing fair was definitely one that my cousin needed to hear. Overall, it’s a very entertaining book with an important message.
Val

• The Furies
  • Westering Women
  • Very Lulu: The (Mostly) True Story of a Training School Dropout
  • Christmas Angels
  • Stolen Away (Hearts of Montana, #3)
  • The Gossip File (The Dirt Diary, #3)
  • The Secret Wife of Aaron Burr
  • The Lovely and the Lost
  • No Fish For Charles
  • Beautiful Creatures: The Manga
  • Race: A History Beyond Black and White
  • Popcorn Days and Buttermilk Nights
  • The Grammarians
  • Fleet Week Fling - A Navy Menage (Something About a Man in Uniform Book 3)
  • Supporting the Troops (Something About a Man in Uniform Book 1)
  • Semper Fine - A Marine Corps Menage (Something About a Man in Uniform Book 2)
Tracey Hecht has written, directed, and produced for film. The American Booksellers Association chose the first book in her critically acclaimed middle grade series, The Nocturnals: The Mysterious Abductions, as a Kids’ Indie Next List pick.

In 2017, she expanded the series to include early reader books, so that families could share the reading experience together. In partnership with the New York

Nocturnals Early Reader (5 books)
  • The Slithery Shakedown