Start by marking “Blood: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
Blood: A Memoir

Blood: A Memoir

The Grammy- and Academy Award- nominated singer-songwriter's haunting, lyrical memoir, sharing the story of an unthinkable act of violence and ultimate healing through art
Mobile, Alabama, 1986. A fourteen-year-old girl is awakened by the unmistakable sound of gunfire. On the front lawn, her father has shot and killed her mother before turning the gun on himself. Allison Mo
Published October 29th 2019 by Da Capo Press

Start your review of Blood: A Memoir
Julie Ehlers
Allison Moorer's excellent 2000 album The Hardest Part is a song cycle about an on-and-off relationship, and as such it covers the highs and lows, the breaking up and getting back together, the anger and sadness and love and lust. After the last song, "Feeling That Feeling Again," fades out, there's a pause, and then a hidden track, "Cold Cold Earth," starts up. This song tells the story of the early morning when Moorer's father shot and killed her mother and then himself on their front lawn. Mo ...more
Dan
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brutal, and totally absorbing. Allison Moorer is among my favorite singer songwriters, I now understand, perhaps better than I would like, her haunting Dying Breed.
Ron S
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Astonishing. While the facts of this heart wrenching story are well known, Moorer's gifts as a writer, in the telling, come as a revelation. Highly recommended.
Tinichix (nicole)
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
There are just some memoirs that you think about long after listening to them or reading them, they are just that impactful. This will be one of those. It is incredibly powerful. This is not an easy, happy listen. It is very hard to hear a lot of portions of her reality. The life of Allison Moorer.

Allison Moorer is a singer-songwriter and award winning musician that is sharing her life with us in the memoir titled "Blood". In Alabama in 1986 Allison was 14 and woke to gunfire. In her very own fr
Tracie Gutknecht
Aug 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, from-m-and-m
Non-fiction/Memoir

Allison Moorer and her sister are fairly well known singer-songwriters. What isn't well known is that their father shot their mother and then shot himself. Blood is Allison's story. Her life growing up in rural Alabama leading to the death of her parents. There are some stories throughout that touch on her life after the tragic event, but primarily the book focuses on the ages of about 5 to 14.

Allison's ability to write beautifully and thoughtfully are without question.

Love is
Elsie
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I probably wasn't in a good place to go through this right now. I listened to the audiobook as I had it on hold from the library and it came available. Plus I'm stuck in my apartment in quarantine. It's read by Allison Moorer. I think I'll buy the book though because there are a lot of places I want to read through again.
It's a coincidence that I've been engaging with people with accounts of personal trauma to tell over the last several months, this one coming right on the heels of another one.
Brian Bennett
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
My god this is a brutal read - in a good way.
Alison
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was gorgeously written and heart-wrenching beyond all belief. That she was able to put it all into words astounds me a little. This is a work of art and one of the best memoirs I've read.
Emily Wilson
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredible! Powerful! Sooo raw and hits too close to home! I would love to share hours of talking and coffee with Allison Moorer..
Tonstant Weader
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blood is a heartbreaking memoir by Allison Moorer, the country musician. I love music and have a few of her albums, but I had no idea about her history. I didn’t know she was Shelby Lynne’s sister, or that she married Steve Earle and later, Hayes Carll. I am a huge fan of Earle and Carll, but had no idea of their connection to Moorer. I also had no idea that Lynne and Moorer’s father murdered their mother before killing himself.

Battered woman are most likely to be killed when they leave and she
David
Dec 01, 2019 rated it liked it
exceptionally sad story of her father's murdering her mother and then killing himself, with author (age 14) in the house at the time, and all the traumatic consequences for her and her older sister [both musicians -- I'd heard of her sister Shelby Lynne, but not really familiar with their music].

Their father had violently assaulted his older daughter and wife and drank apparently all the time, so the extended family was not surprised as such, but still of course shocked.

You get a little about he
Eileen
An absolutely powerful memoir perfectly read by an author I've never heard of. This is the story of Allison Moorer and her sister Shelby "Sissy" Lynn and what it was like to both live with and without her dad. This is not revealing any spoilers because he ended up killing their mother and himself when she was young and this memoir is probably one way of coming to grips with all they endured and survived, and the lasting effects his abuse and suicide/murder had on their lives. Many times authors ...more
Beth Farley
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Stunning.
Naomi Krokowski
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Alison Moorer is a great writer. No surprise if you’re already a fan of her songwriting, which if you’re not I highly recommend her. As a woman who also had an Alabama girlhood, I was aware that she and her also fabulous singer songwriter sister Shelby Lynne had lost their parents gruesomely as teens. Not surprisingly, this book is not an easy or lighthearted read in any way. Yet like most difficult things, it’s highly worthwhile.
Tracee
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is one that I would recommend to someone who has went through anything traumatic in their life. It shows that you are not alone and that what you go through in your past makes you who you are today. It’s ok to remember what you’ve been through, even if it’s hard, as long as you keep going everyday. I felt like this was a healing thing for the writer and that writing your thoughts down about what you go through in life is a form of therapy. I think it would help anyone going through a d ...more
Mama Cass
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While music has always been a strong and faithful companion throughout my life, I confess I had not heard of Allison or her sister Shelby. But I will confess, I know what it's like to be a daughter of an alcoholic, to be constantly moving, to feel terrified, to be on the run, to be dirt poor. Moorer has written a memoir about her childhood, her life before and after her father shot and killed her mother before turning the gun on himself. Moorer is a brilliant writ5e and paints scenes with her wo ...more
Pamela
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful

I really couldn’t understand my attraction to this book, after hearing Allison Moore’s on NPR. Why should I want to read a book so similar to my own childhood? I am so very grateful I did. So beautifully and well written. She has such grace dealing with her painful childhood memories. You cannot change the past. You can only learn to go from here.
Sam Sattler
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
On the day that their estranged father shot and killed their mother on the front lawn of their little Alabama house before doing the same to himself, Allison Moorer was just fourteen years old and her sister, Shelby Lynne, was almost eighteen. What happened on that August 12, 1986, morning may not define their lives, but it forever changed who they were and who they would become. Allison Moorer’s Blood: A Memoir is their story.

“There are parts of a heart that can never heal once they are broke
Sterling
Aug 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I don't feel particular good about leaving a less than five star review for Blood. It was moving memoir, in which the author makes herself incredibly vulnerable in the pursuit of her goal. That goal is never explicitly stated, but that's because words can't always capture the more complex motivations of the mind.

It was wonderfully written, with a mastery of story telling and artistic expression that you wouldn't expect from a debut author. As said author is a famous musician, it is more easily
Claudia
This harrowing memoir begins the day Moorer's father murdered her mother right outside their rent house, and then turned the gun on himself. First shot....four seconds....second shot.

Her book is her attempt to make sense of her life before and after this traumatic moment, and to rebuild her parents' lives, and to understand, if she can, their marriage.

I did not know Moorer is a singer-songwriter, along with her older sister, who writes the preface here. Allison also released an album of the sam
Rae
Sep 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Becoming wise enough to know that I'll remain at least somewhat broken and letting go of the idea that I shouldn't be is another one. Day-to-day will have to do.”

When now singer Allison Moorer was just the tender age of fourteen, she woke up to the sound of gunshots. Her life was then turned upside down by finding both her mother and father in their rural Mobile, Alabama front yard, dead. Papa had killed Momma before turning the gun on himself and leaving Allison and her older sister orphane
Lyndy  Berryhill
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*****TW: Abuse/Alcoholism/Suicide*****

This was an incredible read. I loved everything about it.

The writing and imagery felt so real. Moorer's Grammy AND Oscar level songwriting skill shines with her lyrical, descriptive prose.

She covers a multitude of emotions in varying degrees as she narrates her traumatic and abusive childhood. Her father was an explosive alcoholic. Out of desperation, fear, and selfishness, he murders her mother and takes his own life one night as Moorer and her sister lay
Koen
Oct 13, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, true-crime
A heartbreaking and very well written memoir.

I've been peripherally aware of Allison Moorer and her sister Shelby Lynn and and some of their songs have ended up in my favorites lists. I was never aware though of the tragic events of their childhood.

It's heartbreaking to read what Moorer had to experience at such a young age and from the pages you can clearly feel, totally understandably, that this is something she's still dealing with everyday and probably forever will.

The book mainly deals wit
Josh
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoirs, music, favorites
Allison Moorer’s memoir bears witness to an unspeakable string of traumas: Her father’s emotional and physical abuse, culminating in him murdering Moorer’s mother and then killing himself. Moorer lifts this heavy weight with amazing grace. Her book exudes empathy for sister Shelby and their mother, who bore the worst of it. It tries to find some understanding for why the man was who he was, yet it’s also unflinching in tracing the collateral damage, all the ways in which the trauma reverberates. ...more
Cyndie Adamski
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Barbara Nutting
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a moving remembrance of murder and abuse written with heartfelt simplicity. The title and subject matter don’t convey the real story. It’s just a woman trying to rectify her awful childhood and rise above it.

I hoped writing this story would relieve some of her burden, but I don’t think it did. I have never heard of her or her sister and after a Google search was glad to see that they both are at least successful in their professional lives, if not in their personal ones.
Mark
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, memoir
Allison Moorer is an excellent singer/songwriter and when I discovered that she had wrote a memoir, I was intrigued. She had a terrifying childhood, growing up in Alabama and experienced the murder/suicide of her parents. This is a memoir about strength and survival. The writing is beautiful. This is also a very good audio edition, with Moorer narrating herself.
Mel
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brutal, powerful, incredible. Allison's story is so hard to hear, yet told in a way that's so easy to listen to. Her constant questioning of what happened and how it changed her life and how it could have been so different is heartbreaking.
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Changed my life.
Ivana
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It hits close to home in so many ways, it left me speechless.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Fair Play: A Game-Changing Solution for When You Have Too Much to Do (And More Life to Live)
  • Prophet's Prey: My Seven-Year Investigation Into Warren Jeffs and the Fundamentalist Church of Latter-Day Saints
  • Memorial Drive: A Daughter's Memoir
  • Nothing More Dangerous
  • Squeezed: Why Our Families Can't Afford America
  • We Have Always Been Here: A Queer Muslim Memoir
  • How I Became Hettie Jones
  • Minor Characters: A Beat Memoir
  • FAKE: Fake Money, Fake Teachers, Fake Assets: How Lies Are Making the Poor and Middle Class Poorer
  • The Dearly Beloved
  • Low Lake (Tyrone Swift, #5)
  • Watching You (Tyrone Swift, #4)
  • Your Last Lie (Tyrone Swift, #6)
  • Relax and Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times
  • Colton's Salvation: A Demented Sons MC Novel
  • Erik's Absolution: A Demented Sons MC Novel
  • Mason's Resolution: A Demented Sons MC Novel
  • No Good Deeds (Tess Monaghan #9)