Start by marking “Those Who Are Loved” as Want to Read:
Those Who Are Loved

Those Who Are Loved

Those Who Are Loved is set against the backdrop of the German occupation of Greece, the subsequent civil war and a military dictatorship, all of which left deep scars.

Published May 30th 2019 by Headline Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Those Who Are Loved, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Those Who Are Loved

Amanda
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book starts in Athens in 2016 where Themis an old lady is surrounded by her family for a birthday gathering. Her last gift to her family is her life story which she starts to tell.

We then go back to the 1930’s where Thesis is growing up with her siblings Thanasis, Panos and Margarita. The family is divided over their beliefs of the war and the communists ruling Greece. Thesis finds it hard to put her point of view across over her head strong brothers who are always arguing!!

Themis joins the
Dem
Jul 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think we all have read books which we have trouble rating and Those Who Are Loved by Victoria Hislop is one of those books that I am finding it difficult to rate as while I liked parts of the book other parts felt slow and tedious and a little confusing

Set in Athens 1941 and after decades of political uncertainly Greece is polarized between right and left wing views when the Germans invade. We watch events unfold through the eyes of one family who become torn apart by war.

I liked the first h
Pauline
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Those Who Are Loved by Victoria Hislop was an atmospheric book set in Greece during the Second World War and the terrible toll in took on the Islands inhabitants.
This is the story of Themis and her family and how they tried to survive.
Thank you to NetGalley and Headline for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Amy Bruno
I've been reading a lot of WWII books this year but what sets Those Who Are Loved by Victoria Hislop is that it is set in Greece. I've yet to read anything about the German occupation of Greece so it was fascinating, and of course, heartbreaking and infuriating. This book had all the feels!

Themis is a young woman when the Nazis invade her homeland. She and her siblings live with their grandmother, and the politics of the day divide the siblings, which is frightening similar to what is happening
Thebooktrail
Victoria Hislop Those Who Are Loved

Visit the locations in the novel

You can always rely on Victoria Hislop to take you away to another time and place. She has that magic touch where she mixes well researched history and a personal love of a country and its people and paints a vivid, raw and fascinating picture.

The story starts in Athens in 2016 . It’s here we meet Themis who is an old woman and is gathering her family around to tell them a story. Her story, Their story. This then takes us back to the 1930s as we take Themis’s hand
The Book Review Café
4.5 ⭐ Those Who Are Loved is a powerful, compelling novel that immerses the reader in the life of Themis and her family, raised from early childhood by her matriarch grandmother. The novel steps back in time to Themis early childhood, living under Nazi occupation in Athens, but that is only the beginning of Themis story, and we follow her journey through adulthood, one where she will face many challenges, angry at her fellow Greeks who collaborated with the Nazis, she makes the life changing dec ...more
Trish at Between My Lines
On finishing Those Who Are Loved by Victoria Hislop my initial reaction was WOW! It felt like a history lesson brought vividly to life.

The book follows Themis's life in Athens from childhood right up to old age. And what a life she lived, full of political turmoil and family disharmony. Right from the very start I took to Themis, she exudes intelligence, courage, and passion and I loved how bravely she walked the walk as well as talked the talk for what she believed in.

I learnt so much about the
Stephen
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
thanks to netgalley and the publishers for a free copy in return for an open and honest review.

the author doesn't disappoint with the latest novel based from 1930's to modern day in Greece following a womans journey from childhood to old age and charting her family's progress through WW2, civil war and military junta. the book seems to be well researched in the historical aspects and the family dynamics also help in the early part of the novel to really work to have conflicting ideas.
Anne
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Despite my many holiday visits back in the 70s, my knowledge of recent Greek history and the immense trials and tribulations of its citizens through the Second World War and beyond has always been lamentably sketchy. This book – following Themis’ personal story set against an exceptionally vivid backdrop of recent history – most certainly put the record straight, and revealed a catalogue of pain and suffering that has, until now, remained largely unseen.

The research behind the telling of this st
Beadyjan
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderfully engaging story set in wartime Greece. Renowned author Victoria Hislop returns to early to mid 20th century Greece to introduce us to the life of heroine Themis, who begins the story as a young woman and as her life story opens up we follow her into her future as Greece struggles with the occupation of her country by Germans.

Greece is split in two by politics and war and I wondered if the historic political details may make this book a touch a little heavy going for a summer read a
Agi
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

"Those Who Are Loved" follows the life of Themis, from childhood up to an old age. It was life full of events, love, loss and grief. Raised by her matriarch grandmother, Themis grows in a family that is full of disharmony, especially when it comes to politics. First living under Nazi occupation in Athens and then, when the war was over and everybody thought the worst is already behind them, the communist start to rule Greece, there are civil wars and there are many, many challenges to be faced b
Gill Appleyard
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to The Pigeonhole, I was able to read this before release. It’s an epic family tale set in a very turbulent Greece. It was part history lesson and part novel but the two enmeshed perfectly. It wasn’t always easy to read but that’s life. I love Victoria Hislop’s books and this is no exception. Meticulous research and fabulous descriptive writing.
Liz
Jun 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very difficult book to rate. On the one hand this is an extremely well researched and thought-provoking story about the troubles in Athens during and after the Second World War. It is both interesting and heart-breaking. On the other hand it’s quite heavy going in places, lots of political detail which for me, detracted from the human story.
Karen
Review to follow for blog tour
Gail Wylde
Shelves: pigeonhole
Wow, I just loved this book. I finished it with tears running down my face and I feel as if I have been through an emotional wringer. The story is set in Greece and although I have been to Greece many times I really didn't know much about their history. Shame on me. I knew some of what happened during World War 2, I have seen some of the memorials but there was so much I did not know. This book has it all, a history lesson ( don't be put off by that as Victoria is a wonderful teacher), an insigh ...more
Annette
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Victoria Hislop’s novels are always well researched and concentrate on a particular period in history.
‘Those Who Are Loved’ is about Greek history and covers the time from the 1930s onwards so the reader is transported from WW2 right through the Greek Civil War and the military junta up until the present day.
I knew little about the history of modern Greece so this story truly educated me but it was not like reading a dry history book. The novel actually made me feel as if I was living in those t
Karen Whittard
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this book we meet the lovely, and extremely brave Themis, and her family. We meet her in the present day and also we go back in time with her as she tells the story of her life and all the things that she has lived through.

In the past she grew up in Greece during the Second World War. How Greece was under the control of Germany and the communism ruling that went on. It’s something that isn’t quite widely known or talked about. So it was great to highlight what happened there too.

Themsis fam
Emma Crowley
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been quite a number of years since I have read a book by Victoria Hislop and I think it's because I didn't read raving reviews of her last two books but I wanted to try this new book and I was so glad I did. Now having finished her new book -Those Who Are Loved - I am reminded just how good an author she is. This book is an epic read that delves into the turbulent, tragic and difficult history of Greece.

I feel like I have been through a riveting, interesting and thought provoking history le
Margaret

This is one of the most moving novels I’ve read for a long time. But it begins slowly and it was only at about the halfway stage that it really took off for me. And now I’ve come to write about it I’m finding it difficult to put into words just how exceptional I think it is. Whatever I write will not do it justice – it really is ‘an epic tale of an ordinary woman compelled to live an extraordinary life‘.

It is historical fiction ‘set against the backdrop of the German occupation of Greec
Lainy
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time taken to read - as able over 4 days

Pages - 480

Publisher - Headline

Source - ARC

Blurb from Goodreads

Themis is part of a family bitterly divided by politics and, as a young woman, her fury with those who have collaborated with the Nazis, drives her to fight for the communists. She is eventually imprisoned on the notorious islan
Joan
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Themis lives with her grandmother, her two brothers and her sister in an apartment on the outskirts of Athens. Her mother is hospitalised and her father away from his homeland, often for ages at a time on the high seas. Her two brothers are always arguing about the politics of Greece and her sister is desperate to lead another life, as is Themis. Her life is lived through turbulent and traumatic times of fear and uncertainty, but none as terrifying as the German occupation of Greece in 1941 whic ...more
Kaisha (The Writing Garnet)
All reviews can be found on my blog at https://thewritinggarnet.wordpress.com

'Wow', is all I can say to this one! How do you even begin to write a review for a novel like this one? If you are into your history, 'Those Who Are Loved' will be right up your street. What an intricately detailed, powerful novel this is.

Set in Greece, main character, Themis, tells the story of her life during the Second World War, and the devastation she, and many others, had to live through. I'm not clued up on my hi
Julie
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy Victoria Hislop's books and this one is no exception. 'Those who are loved' gives a fascinating account of what it was like to live in Athens during the German occupation and see your family torn apart by different loyalties. There is no taking sides in this book as each character does what they feel is right, even if it means betraying their family. It is interesting that the book also deals with the Junta years under the Colonels when political loyalties of the past are once mor ...more
Lorraine
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Those Who Are Loved is set in two time periods in Greece. We follow the life of Themis and her family today as she is an old woman telling her life story to two of her grandchildren and her life during World War II.

I have read and enjoyed previous books by Victoria Hislop and this one is no exception. It is an extremely well researched, well written compelling read with well drawn characters and I highly recommend it!
Tara
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An epic family saga in Greece, I was hooked from the description alone. A wonderful book that makes you think, brings many tears and is full of strong women. I can’t emphasise enough how good this book is. Victoria Hislop is amazing. You need to read this.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Annette
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had no idea of this part of Greeks history, The book is set before and during world war two up to more recent times. It is a family saga describing the struggles caused by civil unrest and the German occupation. The family is torn apart by different political allegiances and their consequences. I absolutely loved this book and have no hesitation in giving it 5*
Leona
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely stunning read that I just loved . Victoria Hislop has yet again written a superb book that tells the reader about a family divided by war in Greece . I was enthralled by this book and would highly recommend this book .
Shelagh Wadman
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this Victoria Hislop book which is set in Greece between 1930 and 2016. The story follows the Koralis family and their fight to survive during the occupation of Greece by the Germans and the political upheavals that followed between the left and right political factions. A brilliant Greek history lesson set within a loving family and their struggles to survive. Great read.
Sarah Pring
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic book from Victoria Hislop. This story follows the extraordinary fate of Themis through the Nazi occupation and Greek civil war. Beautifully written with well developed characters that you really grow to care about.
Rosalind Bryden
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Those Who are Loved' follows the story of Themis from her childhood in Athens to old age. As an old lady she tends to keep her political views to herself and there are times when both her children and grandchildren cannot understand her apparent apathy in turbulent political times. However Themis has lived an extraordinary life, suffering through the Nazi occupation of Greece and subsequently joining the Communist Party and fighting in the civil war. She has experienced extreme hardship, loss t ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Victoria Hislop read English at Oxford, and worked in publishing, PR and as a journalist before becoming a novelist. She is married with two children.

Her first novel, The Island, held the number one slot in the Sunday Times paperback charts for eight consecutive weeks and has sold over two million copies worldwide. Victoria was the Newcomer of the Year at the Galaxy British Book Awards 2007 and wo