Start by marking “A Constellation of Roses” as Want to Read:
A Constellation of Roses

A Constellation of Roses

Ever since her mother walked out, Trix McCabe has been determined to make it on her own. And with her near-magical gift for pulling valuables off unsuspecting strangers, Trix is confident she has what it takes to survive. Until she’s caught and given a choice: jail time, or go live with her long-lost family in the tiny town of Rocksaw, Kansas.

Trix doesn’t plan to stick aro
Published November 5th 2019 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about A Constellation of Roses, please sign up.
Emily It's a companion in the sense that it takes place in the same world and it has a character crossover, but you can definitely read ACOR before TDR and …moreIt's a companion in the sense that it takes place in the same world and it has a character crossover, but you can definitely read ACOR before TDR and still enjoy the novel. (less)
Katrina Yes there are romantic relationships but nothing explicit. There are implied sexual situations just in passing about some of the women in the story.

Start your review of A Constellation of Roses
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
This book is a fantastic read! Trix definitely had a hard life lacking of family love. I like her thinking about Ember's pictures looking like a shrine as compared to her only picture was when the police picked her up or when she drew it herself. She sounds so lonely in this moment. She seems like an honest and down to earth person. I love Trix's long lost aunts. Mia is so nice and calm. I feel like her motto is give them time and they will come around and it sure works! Trix's great great aunt ...more
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
"You have to decide if you'll bloom or if you'll wither."

Do you ever read something and, while you're reading it, you're like, "Yeah, this is good," and then you finish it, and you're still like, "Yeah, that was good!" and then suddenly, a week has gone by and you think back on it and it hits you that holy smokes, that was such a good book?! That was Constellation for me. It's like it crept up on me and got under my skin, and now I just can't stop thinking about this sweet, quiet, sad story.
alana ♡
"Heartache's not all that bad. It reminds you that what you felt was real."

Do you ever just stumble across a story that feels so good for you heart? Like, if you're going through something tough, it gently helps you put back the pieces of your life...because that's exactly what this book did. There is always something about contemporary stories with a touch of magical realism that just suck me right in and this book as no exception. A girl with a troubled past who has a gift for stealing thi
Candace Robinson
I actually just couldn’t connect to the characters or the story in this one but it had beautiful writing!
Toya (the reading chemist)
I don’t typically do trigger warnings, but before I even start this review, there are some trigger warnings that I need to highlight for vulnerable communities: adultery, abandonment, abuse, suicide, depression.

Trix McCabe is a seventeen year old girl who is gifted with being able to pickpocket strangers in mere seconds without raising any red flags. Since her mother abandoned her, she is living at a motel that she rents by the week in cash, which is frequented by drug addicts and johns. Her lif
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
I'm in love with the synopsis, title, and cover... the story has the same feeling of Garden Spells. But sadly it isn't.

The cover is so optimistic but the story is sad and depressing. I liked the artistic edge of Trix and how she draws everything, but I hoped for more once Trix moved in with her father's family, who are magical or gifted but it wasn't a magical ride other than people eating pies and crying, and Trix stealing everything. (what kind of a gift is that?!)

I think I'm disappointed with
Vicky Again
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
magical, lovely, and a very gentle book, despite its prickly protagonist.

it had such a soft touch and was lovely to read. also, pie.
Renee Godding
4.5/5 stars

"Heartache's not all bad. It reminds you that what you felt was real."
I stopped chewing. "So maybe I should let myself hurt for a while?"
"I think you've had enough hurt. Eat the pie..."
Bethany
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Constellation of Roses is a quiet, heartfelt coming of age story about love, family, and healing from trauma, with just a touch of magic. Ever since her mother left, Trix has been alone, stealing to survive and never staying in one place for long. But when Child Services finally tracks her down, she finds out that she has family, related to the father she never met. With an opportunity to have a family and build a life, Trix must decide if she is willing to let down her walls, or if she will c ...more
Emily Nicholas | Emily The Book Nerd
REVIEW FOUND ON MY BLOG

My initial thought going into A Constellation of Roses was that I will read anything set around small towns and pie baking. This novel was so much more than that. It was raw, emotional, and beautiful. The main character Trix is tossed around from foster home to foster home... Until she eventually ends up running away on her own. Only to be caught and then having to move in with her long lost aunt whom she has never met.

Her aunt owns
Christopher
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Trix McCabe has always had the practically magical ability to take things without being noticed. It's how she's survived so long on her own after her mom walked out. However, after a slip lands her in police custody, she must choose between prison or living with her family in middle-of-nowhere Rocksaw, Kansas. As much as Trix wants to cut and run, she can't help but admit there's something alluring about staying with the McCabe women of Rocksaw. Perhaps it's their own seemingly magical abilities ...more
Kayla Brunson
Nov 21, 2019 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
I recently read Asebedo’s debut The Deepest Roots last month and really enjoyed her writing and the theme of it. When I heard that she was writing a companion novel for it, I was so excited to read it. However, my feelings changed once I started reading A Constellation of Roses.

Maybe it’s because I was expecting the same whimsical feeling of her debut and the closeness of the friendship here. There wasn’t really any of that present here. While Trix and the other McCabe women do have gifts, I wa
Susan's Reviews
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an inspirational read! Trix thumbs her nose at the world. She was dealt a bad hand: a junkie for a mother and the knack for being able to pick a pocket without being caught.
When Trix's mother disappears one day, Trix is sent to live with her late father's family out in the country. I loved the McCabe women! That touch of magic and whimsy made this a truly entertaining read. Trix and Jasper had a world of trouble on their shoulders, but I love how they each found the way to make it through.
Alexis Bestwick
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Constellation of Roses is a beautiful read. The main character, Trix, shows so much growth throughout this book. I really liked reading about the city life Trix experienced, but then also seeing her adjust to small town life as well. I absolutely loved the magical realism aspect of this book! It felt so light and not something wildly unbelievable. Trix's gift of pick-pocketing without being seen felt very normal and not something that was a huge leap. There's also magical pies, and honestly I ...more
Katie Gilstrap
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Where do I begin? This book is awesome in so many ways! The writing is exquisite, the pacing is perfect, and while the dialogue often lends itself to priceless moments of laugh-out-loud humor, the serious issues addressed throughout the book are presented with diligence and grace. Never before have I read a book that makes me want to laugh so hard, and cry so freely, all from the simple turn of a page. This is the magic of the story itself - it will no doubt give you the BEST kinds of feels!

In a
Alexa
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked this one! It’s a quieter YA contemporary read (with just a hint of magic to it) about a girl who might just finally find a place to call home, and her coming to terms with the past that led up to her being there.
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
Thank you HarperCollins for giving me an ARC of this book

This cover is so gorgeous omg I’m a sucker for anything floral
Samantha (WLABB)
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Trix had been on her own since her addict mother went out for cigarettes and never returned. She had been using her "gift" to steal just enough to get by, but when she was caught, she was given two choices: jail or the family of the father she never knew. Initially, Trix was just going through the motions, but after Auntie told her to plant roots or wither, she was determined to give an honest effort to being a part of the McCabe family.

This was such a beautiful and emotional st
Mike Lasagna
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This book is just....wow. Real and painful and beautiful, the MCs story is the most human thing I’ve read in a long while. Asebedo is a magical storyteller, and I wanted to both devour and savor this book at the same time.
Pavitra (For The Love of Fictional Worlds)

Also Posted on For The Love of Fictional Worlds

Disclaimer: An eARC was provided via The Fantastic Flying Book Club and the Author as part of the Blog Tour. The Thoughts, opinions & feelings expressed in the review are therefore, my own.

Disclaimer: Please know that the Trigger Warnings for this book include Infidelity, Abuse, Suicidal Ideation, Child Abandonment and Depression.

Trix McCabe is a wonder with her sleight of hand – and not in the magical sense – she is a talented pickpocket.
Lauren ✨ (TheBookishTwins)
I recieved a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Thank you kindly to HarperTeen for my review copy.

A Constellation of Roses follows Trix, who has had to survive on her own since her mother walked out on her. She’s confident she can make it on her own due to her unusual, almost magical, gift — the ability to take unsuspecting strangers valuables. She steals just enough to get by until she’s caught. She’s given two choices; jail time or go live with her long-lost relati
Mari Johnston
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This review and many others can also be found at Musings of a (Book) Girl.

Content Warnings: cancer, death of a parent, death of a sibling, underage drinking, addiction, depression, suicide, child abuse

A Constellation of Roses was everything I needed at the moment I read it.

Every one of the characters was resilient and filled me with hope. They showed that life can put you through shit and it’s still possible to come out on the other side and be okay. Trix was completely unlikeable at so many tim
Dani (Paperback Wishes)
Gorgeous hints of magical realism bring to life this beautiful story about a drifting star of a girl looking for a constellation to call home.
🌹
This story is about a girl named Trix, who is living in a motel using her gift of thieving quick hands to steal enough money to get by, when her social services tells her that she has much more family than she thinks and she has to live with them until she graduates high school.
🌹
This story had such an amazing foundation to it. Trix is a protagonist that I
USOM
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Edelweiss. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

TW: Suicide, abuse

A Constellation of Roses is a story about being guarded. Being vulnerable and afraid of getting hurt. It's a story of running away, making the choice to stay, and to hold our family close. Trix is the definition of guarded and she's used to stealing to get by. Everyone Trix has ever counted on has left her. Theft is her way of life and so things freely given, especial
Shannara
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn’t sure what to expect when I started this book and I think it may have been better that way. I loved this story so much and I really thought the characters came to life. I got this book from a Once Upon a Book Club book box and I must say it was an amazing experience. This story is one of those instant magical classics that you’ll want to reread all the time. I’m not going to go into detail because I think less may be more in this case, but this book gave me all the feels.
Celine Ferrand
3.75 ★

This book is like a warm cup of wild berry tea on the first day of Spring.

"It's both beautiful and frightening to feel like you're being seen, truly, for the first time."

I found it a bit hard to care about our main character Trix at the very beginning of the book. She appeared to be - not to sound too harsh - a little bitchy and ungrateful to people being genuinely nice to her. I was over her attitude but I grew to like her and love her very quickly.

The book brought up important subjec
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Young Adult, Contemporary
*Rating* 3.5

*Thoughts*

A Constellation of Roses is the authors follow-up to her debut novel The Deepest Roots. 17-year old Trix McCabe has been living in various hotels doing what she needs to do in order to stay alive, dodging social services, and not having to return to another foster home after her mother went out for cigarettes and never returned. Trix has an uncanny ability of stealing things and not getting caught. She can literally walk in
Lindsay♫SingerOfStories♫
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Magical realism - a book in which everything seems to be set in the straightforward, modern world except for a sprinkling of magic. I used to read a bunch of this genre but haven't in a long time. Honestly, it is something that I have found myself missing because it feels good. It feels cozy and special. This book was no exception.

Full review to come...
Marzie
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-edelweiss, audio
A Constellation of Roses is author Miranda Asebedo's second YA novel and one of the most affecting novels I've read in recent months. Equal parts coming of age story and redemption story, it gives us a young woman, Trix McCabe, who is struggling in every possible way. Living hand to mouth while her addict mother prostitutes herself, Trix has grown up living in hotel rooms and using her mysterious gift of stealing things without being caught to help them survive. Eventually, Trix is removed from ...more
Madison
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Constellation of Roses is a poignant novel about finding your family and a place to belong. With just a touch of magic, this is a realistic novel that is magical in every other way - from the magic of the scent of good baking, to the love and acceptance of family.

Trix has a gift. She can steal anything without being caught. It helps her to survive, especially since her mother left her and never came back. Living week-to-week in run-down motels, Trix is shocked when the police and then the fos

• Songs from the Deep
  • In the Shadow of the Sun (In the Shadow of the Sun, #1)
  • A Royal Christmas Wish: An enchanting Christmas romance from Hallmark Publishing
  • Harley in the Sky
  • The Edge of Anything
  • Wildland
  • Housewitch
  • Woven in Moonlight (Woven in Moonlight, #1)
  • Suggested Reading
  • Remembrance
  • Rebel Spy
  • By the Book
  • DEV1AT3 (Lifelike, #2)
  • Today We Go Home
  • Girls of July
  • To Drink Coffee with a Ghost (Things that Haunt, #2)
  • The Harp of Kings (Warrior Bards, #1)
  • The Stolen Kingdom (The Stolen Kingdom #1)