Start by marking “Everybody Says Meow” as Want to Read:
Everybody Says Meow

Everybody Says Meow

Everybody Says Meow! Or do they? Fans of Sandra Boynton and of Jules Feiffers classic Bark, George will meow, bark, and ribbit when they hear this hilarious picture book about a waggish group of adorable animals that just cannot follow one simple instruction.

Welcome to that magical time when everybody says, Meow! Ready?

Well, not quite. Theres also a Woof. And a Ribbit.

A
Published November 5th 2019 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Everybody Says Meow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everybody Says Meow

Start your review of Everybody Says Meow
Kaitlynne
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very cute. I imagined all the different voices I would use if I read it to a group of little kids
Donna Mccalman
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have shared this book with several groups of preschoolers as part of a storytime featuring animal sounds gone wrong. "Everybody Says Meow" has been a hit every time -- high praise in a public library with diverse groups of children in attendance from day to day. The children all try to be the first to spot the next intrusive animal, and have enjoyed trying to guess the source of the final page-clearing roar. Someone in each group notices the one cat that sleeps through most of the book, ...more
Shaye Miller
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This hilarious picture book features cats who just KNOW that everyone is supposed to say "Meow." But it doesn't take long before they realize that not everyone knows the rules. And some rules are meant to be bent. Nevertheless, just wait for the twist ending where everyone is a bit surprised! The artist used pen, ink, and watercolor to create the illustrations for this book.

For more children's literature, middle grade literature, and YA literature reviews, feel free to visit my personal blog at
Cathie Stumpenhaus
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun reading with two year old grandson.
Rita
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Super cute. Similar to Jimmy Fallon's Your Baby's first word will be Dada
Marg Corjay
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is OK for everyone to express themselves in their own way. Illustrations are fun, large and bright. Who could resist a cat who says "Bummer" or one who snoozes through the whole book?
Edward Sullivan
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A good choice for a noisy storytime.
Frankie Bolt
I read this picture book aloud to a group and it was a hit! This is a story about a little cat who wants everyone to say "Meow!" But the cat soon realizes as new animals join the crowd, that everyone doesn't say "Meow!" They say other things! Soon every animal is speaking their language, allowing the reader and listeners to enjoy and join in the poetic repetition and addition of new voices, such as a dog and a frog. The chorus continues to gain more animals, including a surprise ending. The ...more
Colorado Buck
loved this cute book, where the cats want every animal to say meow. they end up making execptions for the dog, the cat, the rabbit... then they all get scared when they hear the roar and a baby lion shows up saying "was it something I said?" lots of animals, would work for an animal theme for sure in storytime. asks questions of the reader throughout too. interactive.
Barbara
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Some books just beg to be read over and over. Everybody Says Meow by Constance Lombardo is just one of those books. As the cats gather to Meow together, unwelcomed guests keep coming along and interrupting the caterwauling. Kids age 2 - 8 will love participating in reading this little gem together. Teachers and librarians are sure to find ways to make this an interactive story time favorite.
Katie
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, storytime
We start with several cats who are all saying 'meow' at the same time. Then a dog shows up, and in a wonderful example of adapting as circumstances change they all decide to meow, with one guy saying 'woof'. Other animals join in and eventually they decide to all say what they want. A cute ending with a surprise will have kids asking to read again, and after a repetition or two, I can see them meowing on cue.
Shawn Burcham
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sooo cute. All cat wants is for everyone to say meow, but reluctantly lets woof, ribbit, and other languages in, too. Until a scary voice is heard, and then....

Even adults will get a chuckle out of this one. I laughed out loud a few times!
Kathleen Burkinshaw
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
EVERYBODY SAYS MEOW is an amusing read along that not only demonstrates acceptance of one another, but with Constance's darling illustrations your young reader(s)(and you) will be smiling and/or giggling through to the end!
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
A simple, funny book about a group of cats who are all saying "Meow," but keep getting interrupted by other animals making their own sounds. The dialogue was pretty humorous, and the ending where the lion scares everyone away was pretty funny, too.
MeganRuth - Alohamora Open a Book
Cute, simple, not too long and perfect for crowd involvement... aka this makes for a great read aloud and storytime book.

Audience: Toddlers, preschoolers, family
Focus: Print Awareness, phonological awareness.
Krista
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Can't wait to use this book during storytime! The kids will LOVE it.
Rosemary Retford
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Laugh out loud funny. Reminds me of Bark, George.
Kathy
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebook
What a fun story. Kids will giggle at the unexpected sounds that get added to the chorus of "Meows", and on a deeper level parents could let it lead to a discussion of staying true to oneself even if you are different than everybody else (or letting people be themselves, even if they are different than you).
SilverReader
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: work
Love cats and this is just cute.
Stephanie Davis
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet, delightful story! My baby absolutely loves this book, I highly recommend purchasing it!
Bethe
Feb 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Cute little animal sound story - love the expressions on all the animal faces, especially at the end!
Susan
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: story-time
silly
being unique
Melissa
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think I am going to try this in storytime. I hope it works. If not, "bummer".
Kirsten LeClerc
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fun picture book for preschool/kindergarten students!
Susan
The kindergarten classrooms found this hilarious.
James
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book absolutely tickled my little boy. He was cracking up over it. Such a cute, silly story for toddlers.
Gin
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
can't wait to share this at a family storytime!
Annie
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I feel this simple story needs an ensemble cast! A great readaloud.
Marissa Burkey
Jan 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: general-kids
Cat learns that not everyone says "meow". Would work for Storytime (probably toddler)
Amy
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is silly and interactive and fun to read out loud!

• Bad Dog
  • Bear Came Along
  • Just in Case You Want to Fly
  • Saturday
  • Llama Destroys the World
I love to draw and write, and I've brought these together in my illustrated middle grade series starring Mr. Puffball (published by HarperCollins.) The books are - Mr. Puffball: Stunt Cat to the Stars, Mr. Puffball: Stunt Cat Across America, and Mr. Puffball: Escape from Castaway Island. My first picture book, Everybody Says Meow, publishes on November 5. I'm represented by Lori Nowicki of Painted ...more

News & Interviews