Start by marking “The Complete Book of Christian Parenting and Child Care: A Medical and Moral Guide to Raising Happy Healthy Children” as Want to Read:

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  76 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
This total child care book offers Christian- centered, medically authoritative advice on every aspect of parenting, from choosing an obstetrician to disciplining teenagers. As parents of eight children, William and Martha Sears draw on thirty years of practical and professional experience, resulting in a valuable reference book no family should be without.
Published September 15th 1997 by B Books (first published July 1st 1991)

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Book of Christian Parenting and Child Care

Beth
Feb 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any parent.
Recommended to Beth by: DeEtte, CNM
This is such a great resource. I was very surprised to find a balanced Christian perspective in this book. (Which is hefty, btw.)

From attached parenting to co-sleeping and circumcision, he (or they? I think his wife helped) covers everything. I probably should read it again to cover some of the info for older infants.
Lauren Sharkey
Sep 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any parent
This book explored the goals of Christian parents. To know your child, to help your child feel right, to enjoy your child, and to lead your child to faith in Jesus. It explored lots of aspects of parenting such as sleep, nutrition, discipline, and general health.
Beth
Oct 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parents
This is another excellent book by Dr. Sears. There is practical advice that can be used everyday. No puntitive or shaming parenting tactics in here!!! All graced filled! Excellent for attachment parenting minded parents. My only regret is I gave my sister my copy!
Catherine
Jun 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
I like their viewpoint on what discipline really is--versus punishment. Very insightful if you are of the attachment parenting persuasion
Amy
Jul 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: expecting parents-to-be and parents of infants, toddlers, and/or young children
Compared with the last (and only at that time) book I read by Dr. Sears and his wife, I found this book much more comprehensive and useful in understanding the concepts and reasonings supporting attachment parenting and Scripture-based discipline. It has a lot of practical tips about addressing babies' cries and needs, and gives very thoughtful explanations of their own parenting processes and developing conclusions. The idea that all aspects of parenting, from addressing simple needs to playing ...more
Becky Sayler
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
William Sears believes that the three main goals of Christian parenting are to know your child, help your child feel right, and lead your child to Christ. You can use this book as a reference on topics ranging from common medical concerns of infants to disciplining teenagers. Sears is an advocate of attachment parenting and natural childbirth. However, you can certainly be a Christian parent without following either of those philosophies. I found his discipline strategies particularly helpful si ...more
Rebekah
Jul 29, 2009 rated it it was ok
By the title, I thought this would be a good resourse. It's just fine, but I didn't feel I got a whole lot more than from The Baby Book.
Erin Leiter
Oct 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Everything by Dr. Sears is on my must-read list! He changed my parenting -- for the better!
Robin
only to page 50 so far - but Dr. Sears is the best!
Joyce Pinero
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love this practical guide for how and why attachment style parenting is a Biblical approach to parenting.
Adele
Nov 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
This is absolutely the best parenting book ever! Attachment parenting with a Christian bent... perfect!
Peggany
Nov 15, 2015
Whitney
Jun 21, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Martha is the mother of eight children, a registered nurse, a former childbirth educator, a La Leche League leader, and a lactation consultant. Martha is the co-author of 25 parenting books and is a popular lecturer and media guest drawing on her eighteen years of breastfeeding experience with her eight children (including Stephen with Down Syndrome and Lauren, her adopted daughter). Martha speaks ...more
More about Martha Sears...