Start by marking “Fairy Tales and Space Dreams” as Want to Read:
Fairy Tales and Space Dreams

Fairy Tales and Space Dreams

"Fairy Tales and Space Dreams" is a fantasy and science fiction anthology containing three fantasy and three sci-fi stories. The synopses of each story are as follows:

"Princess Snow White" is a retelling of Snow White whereas she has hair as white as snow and skin as black as ebony, rather than the other way around. Although the original fairy tale lends this story its bo
Published 2019 by Jasmine Shea Townsend

To ask other readers questions about Fairy Tales and Space Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fairy Tales and Space Dreams

Jenna Bookish
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
My thanks to Jasmine Shea Townsend for sending me an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

This collection of short stories is such a gem. It's dreamy, diverse, and super eclectic, with varying topics and styles to guarantee pretty much everyone will find something to love in it. The synopsis above will give you a good idea of what to expect with some of these stories, so I want to focus on my favorite story in the collection, The Sea and the Stars.
Books & Quills Magazine
"A lonely mermaid who daydreams of a fairytale ending. A spaceship captain attempting to save people from a deadly disease. An interstellar and interdimensional alien with a tortured past. These are a few of the characters that populate Jasmine Shea Townsend’s short story collection Fairy Tales and Space Dreams. Comprised of six short stories (three “Fairy Tales” and three “Space Dreams”), this collection is an intriguing journey through perception, flipped narratives, and the self.

I was first d
Bug
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was honestly incredible.
First of all, I absolutely loved the writing style. The best adjective I can think of is "magical". The words used and the natural melody to the sentences was put together so beautifully. The style really suited the fantasy stories, but certainly wasn't out of place with the sci-fi, it just added an extra beautiful element to it. It made the worlds really come alive and the characters pop off the page.
I found every single story fascinating. I was invested with each
Sienna
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it
True rating 3.5!

Fairy Tales and Space Dreams is a lighthearted, whimsical adventure that nevertheless explores and incorporates darker themes and issues. In general, I enjoyed the sci-fi half of the book more than the fantasy, but on the other hand, my favourite story of the bunch was "Rapunzel the Night Maiden", which essentially takes the core concept of Rapunzel--girl hidden in a tower by her mother because reasons--and uses that as a jumping-off point for an engaging story about heritage, an
R.R. Willica
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate to receive an advanced reader copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is a wonderful book of short fiction which, as the title suggests, are fairy tales and science fiction. The first half of the book are retellings of classic tales of Snow White, The Little Mermaid, and Rapunzel. The second half are all original science fiction stories.

Townsend is a fantastic writer. She was able to change the voice and tone of her writing with each new tale. Moving from a classi
Kaya
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
First: It's always a delight to read stories centered around a diverse cast!

Second: Um, that cover? Sa-woon.

Jasmine Shea Townsend does a great job with voice. Each story's perspective is unique, identifiable, and a perfect fit for their respective tale.

These stories are a fun read, but still have some heavier (yet important) themes woven through them. TW:(view spoiler)
Keshia
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m so glad I had the chance to read this short story collection by Jasmine Townsend, as I tend to enjoy retelling's of classic tales. My favorite story of the bunch has to be “Rapunzel the Night Maiden” as I found it to be a unique spin on a classic with hits of a darker plot that took place in the past, but while still being a more uplifting story. In this story, Rapunzel had dark skin and extremely long, braided hair. When she meets a boy for the first time after being locked away in her towe ...more
Samantha Johnson
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun and original breath of fresh air. My favorite part of this story is the focus on black beauty which is so often overlooked and the series of shorts are incredibly diverse and entertaining.
I reccomend this story if you want an interesting and whimsical afro focused moder fairy tail adventure. I think the author has talent and would love to see more
Dee
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading these short stories. It was a breath of fresh air on classics and new. Full of imagination. Definitely a good read!!
Thistle & Verse
Natasha Burton
Jun 04, 2019
Savy Leiser
Jun 10, 2019
Jasmine was born in Toledo, Ohio on 5 July, 1992. She was almost born on the 4th of July, but life isn't always fair.
She received her BA in 2013 from The University of Toledo with a major in creative writing and a minor in Japanese. In 2015, she earned her MA in English literature from The University of Toledo as well.
"The Comet in the Sky," an early excerpt from The Cosmic Adventures of Sophie Ze