Start by marking “Fairy Tales and Space Dreams” as Want to Read:
Fairy Tales and Space Dreams

Fairy Tales and Space Dreams

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  27 ratings  ·  16 reviews
"Fairy Tales and Space Dreams" is a fantasy and science fiction anthology containing three fantasy and three sci-fi stories. The synopses of each story are as follows:

"Princess Snow White" is a retelling of Snow White whereas she has hair as white as snow and skin as black as ebony, rather than the other way around. Although the original fairy tale lends this story its bo
Published 2019 by Jasmine Shea Townsend

To ask other readers questions about Fairy Tales and Space Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fairy Tales and Space Dreams

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Fairy Tales and Space Dreams
Jenna Bookish
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
My thanks to Jasmine Shea Townsend for sending me an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

This collection of short stories is such a gem. It's dreamy, diverse, and super eclectic, with varying topics and styles to guarantee pretty much everyone will find something to love in it. The synopsis above will give you a good idea of what to expect with some of these stories, so I want to focus on my favorite story in the collection, The Sea and the Stars.
Dee
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading these short stories. It was a breath of fresh air on classics and new. Full of imagination. Definitely a good read!!
Komal Chhabra
Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This lovely collection of city fantasy storeys I had the tremendous pleasure of reading! One of my preferred storeys consists of a special relationship from outside the country, which evolves to become a romance. It's got a mystical bond.

Rapunzel has an exceedingly long, twisted and dark skin in this novel. When she meets a boy, for the first time after he has been locked in her tower, he tells her that she resembles one of the enigmatic "night maids." It was a nice reading, because I didn't kno
Kerri Beckman
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and wish there had been more of it. A few stories felt a bit rushed but they were short stories (and I probably just wanted more).
Other than a few grammatical errors, it was perfect! There were two stories within that I hope will be expanded into a longer stories.
I’ll definitely be keeping up with this author. The writing style was exactly what I like. Fingers crossed for another book!
Tira
Dec 07, 2019 rated it liked it
A wonderful collection of diverse short stories.
I really enjoyed all the Fairy Tales and the first Space stories.
I loved Rapunzel the Night Maiden the most!
The Last two stories world building was interesting but I didn't enjoy the sorties as much.

Because the print was so small it make reading uncomfortable. (Yes, I could have gotten the Kindle Edition, but I wanted the writer to get more support financially.)
All in all It was a good read.

LaLa Leo
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had the immense pleasure of reading this wonderful urban fantasy short story collection! One of my favorite stories involves a unique otherworldly friendship that develops with the potential to turn into romance. It has such a magical connection. Classic fairytale retellings, what’s not to love about that?! I suggest everyone check out this collection, especially YA girls searching for an interesting read that’s familiar yet unfamiliar in wondrous ways!
Books & Quills Magazine
"A lonely mermaid who daydreams of a fairytale ending. A spaceship captain attempting to save people from a deadly disease. An interstellar and interdimensional alien with a tortured past. These are a few of the characters that populate Jasmine Shea Townsend’s short story collection Fairy Tales and Space Dreams. Comprised of six short stories (three “Fairy Tales” and three “Space Dreams”), this collection is an intriguing journey through perception, flipped narratives, and the self.

I was first d
Bug
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was honestly incredible.
First of all, I absolutely loved the writing style. The best adjective I can think of is "magical". The words used and the natural melody to the sentences was put together so beautifully. The style really suited the fantasy stories, but certainly wasn't out of place with the sci-fi, it just added an extra beautiful element to it. It made the worlds really come alive and the characters pop off the page.
I found every single story fascinating. I was invested with each
Sienna
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it
True rating 3.5!

Fairy Tales and Space Dreams is a lighthearted, whimsical adventure that nevertheless explores and incorporates darker themes and issues. In general, I enjoyed the sci-fi half of the book more than the fantasy, but on the other hand, my favourite story of the bunch was "Rapunzel the Night Maiden", which essentially takes the core concept of Rapunzel--girl hidden in a tower by her mother because reasons--and uses that as a jumping-off point for an engaging story about heritage, an
R.R. Willica
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate to receive an advanced reader copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is a wonderful book of short fiction which, as the title suggests, are fairy tales and science fiction. The first half of the book are retellings of classic tales of Snow White, The Little Mermaid, and Rapunzel. The second half are all original science fiction stories.

Townsend is a fantastic writer. She was able to change the voice and tone of her writing with each new tale. Moving from a classi
Kaya
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
First: It's always a delight to read stories centered around a diverse cast!

Second: Um, that cover? Sa-woon.

Jasmine Shea Townsend does a great job with voice. Each story's perspective is unique, identifiable, and a perfect fit for their respective tale.

These stories are a fun read, but still have some heavier (yet important) themes woven through them. TW:(view spoiler)
K.R.S.
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m so glad I had the chance to read this short story collection by Jasmine Townsend, as I tend to enjoy retelling's of classic tales. My favorite story of the bunch has to be “Rapunzel the Night Maiden” as I found it to be a unique spin on a classic with hits of a darker plot that took place in the past, but while still being a more uplifting story. In this story, Rapunzel had dark skin and extremely long, braided hair. When she meets a boy for the first time after being locked away in her towe ...more
Samantha Johnson
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun and original breath of fresh air. My favorite part of this story is the focus on black beauty which is so often overlooked and the series of shorts are incredibly diverse and entertaining.
I reccomend this story if you want an interesting and whimsical afro focused moder fairy tail adventure. I think the author has talent and would love to see more
Hunter Mass
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I regret that it has taken me this long to read this collection of short stories, because it is well worth the read.

I was entertained by each of the stories. I was engaged and thrilled at the differences in storytelling, from the fairy tale styles of "Princess Snow White" and others to the trippy dream that is "Evangelina's Dream."

You can bet that once I have children I'll be reading them Jasmine Shea Townsend's fairy tales.

While I like each of the stories in this collection, my favorites from e
Thistle & Verse
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Full disclosure: I got an ARC. My favorites from this collection were Rapunzel, the Night Maiden; the Sea and the Stars; and Omega Star: Genesis. I generally liked the fairy tales better than the scifi. Townsend had some creative takes that I hadn't seen in other re-imaginings. The fairytales worked better for me because the story telling is usually sparse, and Townsend is able to match that style. That style is disorienting when the stories are set in new, completely unfamiliar worlds. This led ...more
Naley Gonzalez
Apr 07, 2019
Katarina Antonio
Apr 19, 2019

• The Five Lesbian Brothers / Four Plays
  • A Deal with the Elf King (Married to Magic, #1)
  • Magical Midlife Invasion (Leveling Up #3)
  • Swarm Magic (Empire of War & Wings #4)
  • Wolf Girl (Wolf Girl, #1)
  • A Wizard’s Guide to Defensive Baking
  • The Lightning's Claim
  • The Ancestor
  • The Fountains of Silence
  • Moon Claimed (Werewolf Dens, #2)
  • Search Through The Ashes (Joe Higgins Book 1)
  • Blind and Free (The Red Lair Book 3)
  • The Paradise Conflict
  • God, the Evolver: A Secular Approach to the Divine
  • Make Me Pretty, Make Me Laugh
  • The Unforgettable Summer (Unforgettable Series #1)
  • Shadow Status
  • Mangoes in the Rain: No one can take away your Imaginations
Jasmine was born in Toledo, Ohio on 5 July, 1992. She was almost born on the 4th of July, but life isn't always fair.
She received her BA in 2013 from The University of Toledo with a major in creative writing and a minor in Japanese. In 2015, she earned her MA in English literature from The University of Toledo as well.
"The Comet in the Sky," an early excerpt from The Cosmic Adventures of Sophie Ze