Start by marking “Song of the Ankle Rings” as Want to Read:
Song of the Ankle Rings

Song of the Ankle Rings

Song of the Ankle Rings is a literary novel based on Silappatikaram, an ancient Tamil classic of a chaste woman, Kannagi, immortalised in statues and temples in India and Sri Lanka.
Kannagi, born in the Chola Kingdom during the glorious age of the Cheran, Cholan, and Pandyan renowned for their just rule, and when men were honourable and women virtuous, marries Kovalan, s
Published February 5th 2019 by N. Arivalagan

To ask other readers questions about Song of the Ankle Rings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Song of the Ankle Rings

Start your review of Song of the Ankle Rings
Jane Stansfeld
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Song of The Ankle Rings belongs with the classics! It is a compelling story of love, abandon, sadness, intrigue, pathos, revenge and ultimately redemption. Indira Mukhopadhyay’s review gives a good synopsis of the story and its basis. The author brings the characters alive by use of the first person, letting each narrate from their point of view, these blend together to form a cohesive whole. Along the way we read about the culture and mores of the time seamlessly knit into the fabric of the nar ...more
Indira Mukhopadhyay
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Song of the Ankle Rings is based on 'Silappathikaram, (Tamil: “The Jeweled Anklet”)also spelled Silappatikaram, the earliest epic poem in Tamil, written in the 5th–6th-century by Prince Ilanko Adikal (Ilango Adigal).'
The story revolves around three main characters Kannagi, Kovalan and Madhavi, a courtesan, and an accomplished dancer. The story relates how Kannagi took revenge on the Pandyan King of Madurai, who had wrongfully put her husband Kovalan to death. She cursed the entire town of
ianscyberspace
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Eric kept the tension building throughout this story and it ended in true Indian style just like the classics where tragedy strikes even those who are upright. The book ends on a positive note where the heroine is confident of a reunion with her beloved in a better world after avenging his honour in death. The story deals with human nature, a tension between good and evil and suggests there is a spark of honour and decency even in those we look down on and dishonour. Language and expression is a ...more
Snowy Tee
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The main and supporting characters come across as real people. I like the poetic language. The story transported me to ancient India, culture et al intrinsic details. An enjoyable read for me.
Onyango Makagutu
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I felt the women, especially Kannagi's personna was not very well brought out. She is quite passive for the most part and things just happen to her. It's at the end that we see her in full glory but only for a short while because Eric kills her. It can be said she leaves forever because she is deified in the end.

The book is a pleasant read. I was on the edge hoping that Kovalan will have his life, at least to make amends to Kannagi.

Thari, the king, the prime minister all
Jane Sturgeon
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The story transported me to another time and is written in an engaging way. The characters of Kannagi and Kovalan have depth and I cared what happened to them. Eric's writing carried me along and I learned much about the times and traditions; some of which still flow through lives today. Eric is an accomplished author and I whole-heartedly recommend this book.
Sasi Kay
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very well written - the language brings out the ethos of that time period quite well whilst also illuminating the main characters in a lively manner! It's a pleasure to see Tamil classics being translated and updated in the modern era for a newer and wider audience. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and look forward to reading more of Eric''s work in a similar vein. Kudos !
Minakshi Radhakrishnan

• The Winter Sisters
  • What Child Is This
  • Up Jumps the Devil
  • A Dog's Luck
  • Record of a Spaceborn Few (Wayfarers, #3)