Start by marking “Feministen dragen geen roze (en andere leugens)” as Want to Read:
Feministen dragen geen roze (en andere leugens)

Feministen dragen geen roze (en andere leugens)

Feministen hebben okselhaar, haten mannen en mogen geen lippenstift op, toch? Niet helemaal.

In Feministen dragen geen roze (en andere leugens) vertellen meer dan vijftig vrouwen – van Hollywoodactrices tot tieneractivisten – hun verhaal, aangevuld met een aantal bijdragen van toonaangevende Nederlandse feministen. Dit is een inclusief boek dat de online beweging verbindt m
Published March 8th 2019 by Blossom Books (first published October 2nd 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Feministen dragen geen roze, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feministen dragen geen roze

Lucy Langford
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4****
”At a time when we are too often reminded of what divides us, there is common ground to be found when we share our stories.” - Emma Watson.

This is an inspirational and powerful book in the time of #MeToo and other movements and protests surrounding gender equality. This book comprises a plethora of actors, activists, journalists and others of "celebrity" status on what Feminism means to them.

These essays are incredibly personal and each one unique. Each examines what feminism means to tha
Fa Orozco
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Al ser tantos textos hubo algunos que me encantaron y otros que no me gustaron nada, pero en si el libro me parece interesante ojalá lo hubiera leído a los 18 años.

Es una introducción amable y digerible al feminismo, con voces cercanas y con mucha experiencia, no solo en el tema sino en la lucha diaria de ser mujer en un mundo de hombres.

A veces es repetitivo, así que recomiendo leerlo en cachos, con otras lecturas en medio. Además de ayudar en la repetición, resulta mucho más enriquecedor inves
Jo
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was truly motivational, and I feel like it has opened my eyes perhaps a little wider, to what feminism means to some rather amazing women. We all have our own definition of feminism, and exactly what it means to us. We all have different ways of acting on it, if one does at all. We all fight the patriarchy in our own individual ways.
This book contains thoughts, essays and poetry from some truly motivational and frankly, fucking amazing women. Many topics are covered here, such as sexis
Cendaquenta
This book needed half the essays, but at twice the length each. In its current form, it ends up as a collection of punchy but ultimately dissatisfying soundbites.
Magali
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rating this book is pretty tough because I realized pretty fast that I had made a mistake : I was not the public targeted for that collection of essays on feminism. The fact that adult women, older than me, were saying it was a brilliant book that everyone should read made me buy it. But it actually feels more like a book for teenagers, for very young women wanting to know more about that new word they just learned : feminism and not a book for a 30+ woman that has been a feminist since she was ...more
Ashleigh (a frolic through fiction)
description
Originally posted on A Frolic Through Fiction

*Rated 2.5 stars

Picking up this book, I had high expectations. It became an event, with me buddy reading this with my friend Jess and setting time aside in my hectic uni reading schedule to make sure I read it.

And then…eh. I don’t know what happened. I have many, many thoughts.

So, this book is basically a collection of writings from 50(ish) different well-known women about different topics relating to feminism. One thing I do immediately have to prai
abilovegood
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The proof is only around 60 pages so I finished it within an hour BUT in those 60 pages there is so much information on feminism and personal experiences that’s it’s easy to mistake it for a much larger book. I loved being able to see feminism through a variety of perspectives from a wide range of women - I’m currently trying to educate myself more on modern issues including feminism, racial bias etc and this was the perfect first step !
Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨
Who says feminists can't wear pink?!

What a wonderful way to kick off the new year, with a great book like this!

This book is a collection of personal essays written by a multitude of brave, clever, strong, passionate women. Some of them you might know before you start reading - like Kiera Knightly, Emma Watson and Kat Dennings - others you will want to know after reading their story! Each essay is a personal story of what feminism means to the individual woman.

These stories are wonderful because
Konna
Apr 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Μερικά από τα κείμενα όμως ήταν καταπληκτικά!
Maritza Dubravac
Seriously, YES to everything in this wonderful feminist collection.
As pointed out in the introduction, Feminists Don't Wear Pink isn't an academic collection of feminist essays, but a collection of essays, thoughts, poetry, etc. on all kinds of topics by all kinds of badass women. It's about intersectionality, it covers the history of the waves of feminism (also pointing out the less beautiful aspects of the history of feminism, such as racism), it talks about periods, and about answering the m
Maria
I feel like we have all at some point walked away from an important conversation because we felt overwhelmed by our lack of knowledge. “Feminists Don’t Wear Pink” is a safe haven. Honest, hilarious and open, a space for exploration.
Kassie
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tell Him was my favorite essay ❤ ...more
Anniek
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After starting this book, I quickly began to feel like maybe it wasn't exactly meant for me. Which is kind of strange, because I'm a feminist and this is a book about feminism. And moreover, I consider myself an inclusive feminist and this book was definitely aiming for inclusive feminism as well. But it's very much Feminism 101, and even though I fully believe being an inclusive feminist is an ongoing process, this book was a little too basic for me at times.

That's not to say it's not a valuabl
Kathryn Speckels
Tl;dr - a mixture of cool essays and trite, fluffy pseudo-essays that detracted from the whole.

As many of you know, I've been on a "feminist essay" kick lately, and given that this book had such a wide range of contributors--activists, celebrities, writers, and more--I had high hopes. Those hopes were only partially fulfilled.

The purpose of this book, I think, was to provide a wider-lens picture of feminism, showing women at all different stages of their feminist journeys. There are women who h
Ruby Valdes
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm pretty sure most of you all know my stance on non-fiction books. I'm the type of person who likes to fill my head up with 'happy ever afters.' After realizing that too many romance fiction books is starting to higher my expectations when it comes to dating, I was willing to read any non-romantic book I could get my hands on. I came across this one while in my English class and decided to give it a go. The book was actually really good and informative. I got to understand what feminism means ...more
Liesa
Ich wollte es lesen, ich wollte es mögen, ich wollte wichtige neue Erkenntnisse daraus ziehen. Nach über 100 Seiten Lektüre ist mir das aber einfach nicht gelungen - die Texte waren größtenteils unfassbar eindimensional und pathetisch und haben mir beim Lesen einfach nichts gebracht. Schade - vielleicht werde ich noch einige bestimmte Texte daraus lesen, aber falls ich es nicht tun sollte, habe ich ehrlich gesagt auch nicht das Gefühl, irgendwas verpasst zu haben.
Zarina
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lucie
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I think that this book is a great introduction to feminism and if you're looking to read more on that topic, it's a good place to start! It is a very intersectional read and included experiences from so many different women and I loved that about it.

I have to say that it did feel a bit repetitive at times, because the writings were organized in different collections, such as 'epiphany', 'anger', 'poetry break' and such (also I'm not a *huge* fan of poetry, but that's another matter altogether).
Rose  Heartfilia
There are many thoughts to be formed and things to be said when you want to open your mouth and just speak. However, sometimes those words don't come and in waves of anger or sadness only tears show up, which is something that can happen too when you laugh, laugh so hard you cry. Perhaps I did not laugh that hard this time around but it is not something to be forgotten. I am going to make the most honest and personal review I have ever done because I feel that is necessary and that it makes me p ...more
Elin
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this felt a bit too basic for me, but i probably wasn't the intended audience either. it would probably work better for someone who is only just learning about feminism, even tho there was a certain amount of oversimplification. but yeah, most essays just fell flat to me. some of them were total misses, where the author seemed to have the complete wrong idea of what feminism is, some of them didn't even seem to be about feminist at all, and some of them were just plain weird. generally i think t ...more
Tara
Although 'Feminists Don't Wear Pink' is more diverse than most of its kind, the book still falls a little short for me. It's still overwhelmingly heteronormative and focuses largely on cisgender women, but I guess it's more about the curator's connections and who she wanted to contribute. The language irked me at times too and it did genuinely feel like inclusivity was an afterthought stuck on at the end. For example, there is a line in an essay about periods which states in brackets "(though no ...more
Nat
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
1.5 stars (half star cuz I liked one of the pieces)

The standout is undoubtedly "Weaker Sex" by Keira Knightley. 4 stars if that was the only piece in the book.

The book just lacked cohesion. There was an attempt for some structure by the various phases in one's feminist journey: epiphany, anger, joy, action, education and a completely random and unnecessary "poetry break".

Each piece varied so much in length and depth. Was the brief simply to write anything at all related to feminism?

As much as
Ithil
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're starting to get yourself educated into feminism I think this would be a great starter for you. Also, I think I would absolutely recommend it for 12 year old in advance. It has some sexy bit on it, but let's be honest, 12 year olds nowadays are not going to learn anything that the did not know before. And I think it will provide them with quite a lot of knowledge that will come in more than handy for their teens. Unfortunately.

I do have to say introduction or young public, as someone w
Madelin
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
to me this was a really powerful book it showed me what feminism means to other women and what feminism is. i do consider myself a feminist but i still have a lot to learn and while reading this book i learned so much. the essays and the women that wrote them were amazing and very powerful. i think everyone who wants to know more about feminism or just want to read a good book in general should read this book.
Nicole Jimenez
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so inspiring in so many different ways. I feel that this book really opened my eyes to what feminism is to different people, and that it doesn’t have to be the same for everyone. This book is for all girls and women who want to read into what it’s like to believe you have worth in this world, and to read so many different accounts of feminism from other women.
Merel
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mind is blown.
Amy
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A feminists must have read for their bookshelf.
Hâf
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing. I hardly have the words to describe what an incredible book this is. Ever since I saw it on the shelves I've wanted to read it. So many inspiring women contributed towards this book, each of their takes on feminism were thought provoking/ reassuring/hilarious/confidence boosting/empowering. A favourite of mine was Karen Gillan's story, it was very relatable! If you're interested in feminism, consider yourself a feminist or want to educate yourself on feminism, this is the book for you! ...more
Sophie
"The goal of the feminist movement...aims to give each person on this planet the freedom to live their life the way they want to live it, unhindered by sexism or oppression or aggression."

Some of my favourite contributions in this book include:

The Weaker Sex by Keira Knightly (so raw, so beautiful)
10 Ways to Support the Women in Your Life by Olivia Perez
The female Wank by Grace Campbell
Be a Fun Feminist by Nimco Ali
Dismantling and Destroying Internalised Misogyny: To-Do List by Dolly Alderton

I f
Esmée
There's a lot in this book and some of the essays were really great, but it's almost impossible to keep that high a standard throughout so many different contributors.
This book is a great introduction to feminism and especially young feminists. I did notice that I wanted some more depth in the ideas that were being discussed. I would have liked to see the second half to go deeper into either academic, historical or modern-day feminism to balance out the easier reads.

• The Guilty Feminist: From Our Noble Goals to Our Worst Hypocrisies
  • Misogynation: The True Scale of Sexism
  • Be Awesome: Modern Life for Modern Ladies
  • Letters to my Fanny
  • A Love Story for Bewildered Girls
  • The Best of Dear Coquette: Shady Advice From A Raging Bitch Who Has No Business Answering Any Of These Questions
  • The Problem That Has No Name
  • På den yderste ø (Krigeren, #1)
  • Manhattan '45
  • Habit
  • The Periodic Table of Feminism
  • Poems to Live Your Life By
  • Mr Romanov's Garden in the Sky
  • Dunkelgrün fast schwarz
“Remember that when a women gets the job you wanted or dates that bloke you fancied or wears a dress you loved but couldn't afford, she hasn't taken anything from you. There is time and space for you to do it too. One of the cleverest things the patriarchy did was make us believe that there is only one tiny sliver of success cake available; that we all have to fight over it; that a woman who tramples on her competitors to chow it down first is somehow 'ruthless' or to borrow a phrase from Apprentice-ese, 'a natural business mind.' This is a scare-mongering lie. There are so many cakes to eat. And if you can't find the slice you want, try baking one. Cake for everyone! Let them eat cake! I've got lost in the metaphor.” 2 likes
“I'm so excited to watch the next generation of teenage feminists make their mark on the world because I truly believe they're going to achieve extraordinary things.” 1 likes