Start by marking “Never Just Friends” as Want to Read:
Never Just Friends

Never Just Friends

Falling for your best friend is hard.

Georgiana—Georgie to everyone outside her family—figured out long ago that being in love with your straight best friend sucks. Turns out it’s even worse when that friend, Madelyn, tells you she’s not so straight after all. After it becomes clear to Georgie that she needs to get over Madelyn, Georgie moves cities and starts a new job.

To g
Published February 6th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Never Just Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Just Friends

Tinything
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I always like the books with two main characters got trapped somewhere together and story unfold from that. Unfortutely, this is not for me.

First of all, with the writing style with every one or two chapters were flashback then back to present time i.e. prologue: flashback, ch1: present days, ch2: flashback, ch3 present day, and than flashback every two chapters. 🙄 that writing style is not for me at all. I feel like I lost track of the main story, or probably the main story itself couldn’t cat
Carrie
Aug 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The narrator for this one... wow. I don't think I can even put into words what she sounded like. A game show host announcing something? It really wasn't awesome for me.

The story didn't offer up anything unique that would really overcome the narration. So this ended up being JUST OK.

Georgie leaves town after her best friend (aka unrequited love), Madeline, comes out but horrifically states that she would never date her. She's got to sail away. Sail away. She's gotta just s
Dalin
Feb 22, 2019 rated it liked it
If... if you “skim” a book, it’s definitely not a book for you. Somehow along this book, my find myself doing just that. If the book is too good to put down, you’ll find yourself absorbing every word written just so you wouldn’t misunderstand the context.

For me, there’s no intense romance, no chemistry, irrational angers, illogical flows...like everything seems not right in the book.
Karen
Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

I enjoyed reading this for the most part. It was a cute little love story about best friends who find love after 20 years of knowing one another. Overall I enjoyed it. One thing that bothered me is the internal dialogue that takes place. I have mentioned this before in some of my other reviews and that is one thing that I don't care for. I don't think it was excessive in this one but still enough to bother me some. I only happened to find this one browsing Amazon Kindle titl
Morgan
Jul 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: no-plot, lesbian, crap
Dull book lacking in any chemistry between its characters or a stronger plot to help support its love confession basis.
Elena
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 - While I tend to shy away from the straight girl loves another girl storyline...for obvious reasons, I had to trust the author on this one. I was blown away with the writing style (that I usually hate with a passion) of her last book that I had no questions about reading this one.

I really loved it. I like that we saw the perspective of Georgie and how sometimes “the straight girl” can hurt us even if it’s unintentional. One thing that I had to gripe about, it maybe my personal o
mahana
i barely paid attention the entire time i was listening to this but the epilogue was so cute 🥺

rep: lesbian mcs, f/f romance
Lana
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I was severly disappointed by this book. The summary had seemed so perfect but I felt like the story itself did not live up to the potential.
First of all I did not like the bounce between past and present. The reason I didn't like this is because I thought the past chpaters did not tie into the current chapters. Some of them I even felt were quite useless. The chapter with the high school dance seemed dumb to me as did the scene with Georgies ex. I know it was meant to show how much she cared f
Candice
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Heather Botteon
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Breathtaking story!

Another instant favorite from this author! She has a way of captivating her audience with beautiful details and descriptions. This book takes you through Georgie’s exploration of her sexuality from childhood to adulthood. As someone who came out early in life, I felt as though she really portrayed the complex emotions involved in revealing this part of herself to her best friend, Madelyn. In the beginning, Madelyn has just figured out that she’s a lesbian, but it takes Geor
Jen
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tears & laughter guaranteed!!!

“Hope didn't have to mean delusion.”

“Whatever Madelyn said in response, it didn't reach Georgie's brain, which still whirred with the obsessive, self-harming focus on how Madelyn had so casually destroyed Georgie's longest running hope, misguided as it may have been.”

"No, it's been pretty bad. That's the thing, Mads. I meet a girl, I kiss her, maybe fool around a bit. But when we get to talking, it's all I can do to stop myself from w
Cassandra Lemard
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lovely read

Yet another great read by Lily Craig. This is my second book by the author, and I wasn't disappointed at all.

Never just friends tells the story of Madelyn and Georgie. For as long as they can both remember they have been apart of each other's lives, which came at a time when they both needed each other. Fast forward to the present day Madelyn has finally realised that Georgie has always been waiting in the wings, she has and always will be her soulmate, she has finally realised she
Lisa R. Smith
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Can a Welder and a History Professor find happiness?

“Never Just Friends” is a delightful read. Two girls meet in Kindergarten and grow into women as best friends. At the age of 12 one realizes she is a lesbian and by the time they turn 16, realizes she is in love with her best friend. When they reach age 24 things begin to change for them both, and it all comes to a head at a snowed in cabin somewhere in Canada.

Meeting these two MCs as children and watching them grow was fun. Some of the seconda
Rakhya
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was looking for a quick and tropey read, and this book met both requirements.
Unfortunately that's all of the positive feedback I have for this one.

To me, the characters felt flat and hard to sympathise with.
I felt no chemistry between the two leads. The flashback chapters, meant to show the reader how the two leads' relationship had formed and evolved over time, didn't feel like they were adding value to the story.

Lastly, the opening scene in chapter 18 felt grat
Heatherblakely
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it
For the most part, I liked this. I didn't originally rate it because I wasn't entirely sure if I thought it was a three or a four star. The writing is pretty good, as are the characters, though it jumps between childhood and present day and the childhood versions of both characters, for me, didn't match up enough with the adult versions. It's not very diverse, which didn't bother me toooooo much because it really just focuses on the two characters, and overall it was a quick and fun read.
Linda Carroll
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved the writing, first story by this author. I know others said they didn’t like the flash backs but I thought they worked well.

Most important for me though was the way the author was able to express situations through the eyes of others, especially a child. I will definitely read another book by the author.
Michele
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
HEA and Flashback Scenes

I enjoyed this story about a long term friendship turning into more after Madelyn comes to terms with her sexuality. There are plenty of flashback scenes of Madelyn and Georgie growing up that set the stage for their love and explain their lives. I enjoyed the sweet HEA ending.
Carolyn
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Always Wanting More

Georgie realize early in life that she was gay. Madison is her best friend and straight. The heart wants what the heart wants. As she struggles with her feelings, she realizes she has to get some distance. Can friends become more or will it be too big a gap to traverse. A friend to lovers romance. Wonderful writing and story. Recommend.
Marikka
It's fine. I feel like there were too many flashbacks not telling the story and too little of the present.

Content warnings: childhood poverty, eating disorder briefly hinted at with secondary character
Charlotte M McClellan
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read

I really enjoyed this book. It was told in present time with alternating flashback chapters. I think this format is very hard to get right but Ms. Craig makes it work. Well worth reading!
Jennifer Black
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Cute and sweet, with good writing. Didn’t make me binge read for lack of much excitement, but I found that to have been a good thing since the time skips proved to be tasteful taken in small doses, with real life’s time acting as a buffer to enhance the reading of this book.

And besties’ love yay!
Shelby
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wanted to strangle one character, but turned out pretty good!

Seriously, one really annoyed me for how manipulative she was being to the other one, but she called herself out for it sorta, not sure I would have been so easy to forgive her, myself.
Barbro-Katrin
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
It’s boring and short. I didn’t feel any connection to the characters or the story.i didn’t feel the chemistry between the main characters at all. I mostly speed read through it. And the ending was predictable and a big cliche. But if you’re looking for a short read, this is it.
Kat
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very cute...

Very cute story where friends sometimes mean more than just friends. Of course we can't beat the happy ending. Pretty neat.
Jude
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good story

I really enjoyed this story.I haven't read this author before but I will definitely be looking forward to reading more from her. Great job!
XR
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This was sweet AF and put a smile on my face.
Joseph Knorr
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent Read

I chose this book because I enjoy the way the author treats the characters in her presentation. I hope you all agree with my choice
Maz Tucker
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great story with a happy ending

This is a great, friendship turned lovers story. The ups and downs of a trip to a remote cabin in the woods.
Best Lesfic Reviews
Jun 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
This became a first for us. The first DNF.

Read the full review @ https://www.bestlesficreviews.com/201...
kay hastilo
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this book

Good book could have gone a bit more in depth in some places but all in all a good read. Well worth a few hours of your time.
Goodreads Librari...: Please move book to my profile 3 14 Feb 07, 2019 12:06PM