Start by marking “Screwed - A Prison Story” as Want to Read:
Screwed - A Prison Story

Screwed - A Prison Story

Gabrielle Townsend is looking for a tree change. He quits his stable job at a bank and moves to the country to take up a position at Mingalo prison. But when he gets there he soon realises that there is a destructive working culture that threatens to suck him in and make him just another one of the boys.

Gabe has some tough choices to make about how far he’s willing to go
Paperback, 1, 264 pages
Published February 16th 2019 by Chester Hart

To ask other readers questions about Screwed - A Prison Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Screwed - A Prison Story

Start your review of Screwed - A Prison Story
Nick Robson
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A witty and candid insight into a world I previously knew nothing about. The protagonist finds themselves in an environment that is both alien and starkly familiar of the sort of summer job you’ve worked in where everyone else has been there for too long. I enjoyed the pacing and Mr. Hart’s writing is dry humoured and relaxed providing some easy holiday reading.
Rick
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book from a first time author. It looks at the fundamental problem that faces everyone who works in an organisation, particularly one where the existing workers have been there for a long time – The Culture. What are the fundamental problems? How does a new person fit in? What are the unwritten rules? How do you learn them? What if you break them? What if you find that they go against everything you believe in? Can they be changed? How? Is the way to change it new management? Can ...more
Clayton
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I enjoyed it for its bravery and it's honesty. Apart from the prison culture and the associated problems of a building that seems to be crumbling down around the inmates ears, the author takes us into the workings of a stressed and troubled mind. He makes no apologies for that and has no qualms about doing so, and this is where the his bravery really comes to the for. You can't help but feel for the protagonist as he falls deeper and deeper into a depressed state ...more
Barry Fischer
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book from first time author. I see "page turner" has already been used but that is exactly how I found it, I kept going back to it to finish it. I am used to reading non-fiction so I found the fantasy sections a bit unreal until I realised I couldn't tell where the line was to transition from the real to the fantasy. Well used in this setting. Only criticism is that I had to read some sentences (very few) a few times to understand misprints (proof reading).
Abhishek Easwaran
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very unique take on a prison story. This book takes a look at the importance of culture even in the most unusual settings. A real page turner with far greater depth than your average prison story.

Nicky
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic and thrilling insight into working in a prison which most of us including me would never entertain in a million years. Navigating hardened criminals and a work culture that is resistant to anything new. This book kept me reading late into the night.
Daniel Graetzer
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A gritty and eye opening look into the Australian prison system. The author’s insight into what really goes on behind the scenes in the slammer coupled with raw stories and a personal tale made this novel a real page-turner. Looking forward to the sequel!
Julianne Wheat
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a page turner! A chilling insight into the Australian prison system. If only this author were around to unravel the underbelly of Old Melbourne Goal. Can't wait for the next book!
Sherree Broadhurst
Apr 19, 2019
Dee Soden
Aug 12, 2019
Gordon
rated it did not like it
Mar 14, 2019
Alex Tsymbalov
Mar 20, 2019
Jenny
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a mother and grandmother reading this book I was often distressed for the author. His fictitious account of probable incidents while working in the prison as an idealistic educated young man, encountering prison clients and managing an embedded hierarchical culture was clearly illustrated in his writing. I saw him drawn into that culture in the early days before his real nemesis become his fellow colleagues. The author’s descriptions of possible negative encounters between all parties really ...more
Nick Elpartido