Start by marking “Team Player (Charleston Thrashers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Team Player (Charleston Thrashers, #1)

Team Player

(Charleston Thrashers #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  311 ratings  ·  111 reviews
Don’t hate the player…

BOTTOM NINE
Gwen Scott wants to love her job with the Charleston Thrashers, the MLB team she’s worshiped since she was a kid, but she can’t. Hateful colleagues and mind-numbing work make her days unbearable—until her head for baseball gets her exclusive access to the Thrashers’ clubhouse and she comes face-to-face with Tyler Ashe, the team’s sexy short
Published March 28th 2019 by Julianna Keyes

To ask other readers questions about Team Player, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Team Player

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Team Player (Charleston Thrashers, #1)
Melanie (mells_view)
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Julianna Keyes brings us a low angst contemporary sports romance with Team Player.

Tyler Ashe is just trying to focus on the game he loves after his best friend and teammate lost his career by getting locked up. He loves baseball, but playing for the Thrashers just doesn’t feel the same now that he’s alone. Gwen Scott just lost the aunt that raised her. The same aunt that loved the Thrashers. So she got a job working for them, so that she could be close to her aunt. She loves baseball, and she l
Sam (AMNReader)
I've been not so casually checking in on Keyes once I realized it felt like forever since she's released a book. I stumbled upon her announcement that this was up on Netgalley, and despite the fact that I preordered it, I jumped. So high. Today I cracked this book and barely stopped reading it.

It's a workplace romance done sexy but with a decent amount of weight behind that risk. It's a 31 year old baseball player whose best friend is in prison and it makes him lonely and, well, he's evaluating
Tracy  C
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This is one of those mixed feelings books for me. The writing was good IMO, but I was not a huge fan of where the plot line went. Gwen was OK, even showed some moments of sass, but it wasn't very consistent. Ty was actually kind of gross. Nobody thought anything of having him followed for his escapades and getting NDA's after the dirty deeds?? EWWW I also had an issue with WHY this was necessary. If this particular event had happened to a female, I bet the outcome would have been different.
Bookgasms Book Blog
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ratula
You guys!! Julianna Keyes is my drop everything and devour author. I seriously have read everything she has written and cannot jump on her stuff fast enough. Her Time Served series is my absolute favorite. But when I saw that she had a new sports romance coming out, I knew Team Player needed to be on my kindle stat!! I enjoyed this story but while Gwen and Tyler were sexy and funny, I found that their connection was a little awkward and lukewarm at times.

Don't get me wrong, separately Ty and Gwe
Tzelina
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
**Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for giving me the ARC in exchange for an honest review#TeamPlayer #NetGalley

4 🌟! An enjoyable and fun loving read...with a predictable end....but I love sports romance!!! Definitely I would love to read Connor's book ... overall it was a nice read and hopefully it will be a start of Thrashers new series !
*The Angry Reader*
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think that’s as close to happy as I’m currently capable of being. I’m slammed with work, my allergies are crazy, and I can’t get wrapped up in a story. And then I don’t wanna do anything other than read so I get super angry at the book for not being enough to engage me fully. This is not a good look for me.

I haven’t read anything by Julianna Keyes since Undeclared - which I adored. Now - as then - I enjoyed watching two good people fall in love - mistakes and scrapes and bruises and all. I li
Kate R
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Really enjoyed this one! It’s a sports romance set in the professional baseball world. It made me so ready for baseball season! Gwen is on the public relations team of the baseball team Tyler plays for. I thought both characters were great and super easy to like. They both were feeling lonely when they met each other. The story also spans a whole baseball season so no insta love here.

This book does speak a lot about being a part of both a baseball team and as a couple being a team which I thoug
Alexandra
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Loved it! Can't wait for the next one!
Jan
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up. An enjoyable and well-written sports romance. A cliche trope of the star player and a team staff member falling for each other but having to keep it a secret, but in this book it's done well and believably/credibly.

Plenty of focus on the baseball, enough to make it feel as if Ty is actually a star player. Likeable characters. Good relationship building. Plot is good, with a little mystery to solve (and I didn't know whodunnit till the end, but then I rarely do LOL).

Overall,
Em Wittmann
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I gave Team Player an A- at All About Romance .

I had some trepidation picking up this latest book from Julianna Keyes. Not because I don’t enjoy the author’s work – I do. Not because it’s about baseball, which is boring. Friends. It is. And not because anything about it sounded bad or not good or uninteresting. I was nervous because I hated Ms. Keyes last book, Bad Princess. Big time. Happily for me (and you), she’s written a homerun.
(Hi! I’m Em. I’ve never met a sports metaphor I didn’t lov
Alison
Gwen Scott, rabid baseball fan has got a dream job in PR for her favourite team, the Charleston Thrashers. The only problem is her boss is super-scary, the Thrashers are having an appalling season, her colleagues loathe baseball and she has just been given a hospital pass to deliver the 'talking points' to Rax Stripper, the team's manager - a job that got the last person fired. Luckily Gwen's encyclopaedic knowledge of baseball allows her to make some better suggestions for comments to the press ...more
Shelly Bell
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this one. And since the author told her readers to let her know if we wanted more, the answer is yes. I would like a romance about Reed and the author of his daughter’s favorite book. :)
Jess
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
So while I can't say this was an excellent baseball book (I don't know enough to judge), I can say with confidence that it was an excellent SPORTS book. My only complaint, and it's not even a complaint about the book so much as the world, is that I really wish (view spoiler) ...more
Katie
This was great! Definitely one of the best, if not THE best, baseball romance I've read. The only thing that jumped out to me was when it referred to six teams in the AL East, but I think the Thrashers ARE supposed to be the sixth team in the division rather than replacing one of the existing teams.

I like the romance, but I am not sure I QUITE bought that they would just go for it, despite the risks. Big spoiler. (view spoiler)
Rowena
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
This was a fun contemporary romance that features a baseball player and a PR rep for his team. There's a secret romance, loads of drama and I was here for it. Good stuff! I wonder if we'll be seeing more from Ty's teammates? Hmm.
Michele
Team Player was a fun read. It's a good combination of sports and workplace romance. Gwen Scott works for the Charleston Thrashers public relations department. She loves baseball, but not necessarily her job. It also doesn't help that she's still very much grieving her aunt who recently passed away. The same aunt who basically raised her. Gwen is struggling with figuring out what her real purpose is and ends up working for the Thrashers as much because of the shared love that she and her aunt ha ...more
Mel
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
ARC received from publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

What happens when a hot shot baseball player in the midst of a major slump falls for the teams newest PR employee? Sexy, hot shenanigans and a love story full of heart and depth.

Tyler Ashe puts the Ashe in Thrashers - the Charleston Thrashers to be more specific. However, he's in a slump. After playing right by his best friend for years, he finds himself alone suddenly, untethered and unsure and definitely not a team pl
Yomi M.
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I grew up watching baseball and so I'm a HUGE fan of it. I think what I appreciated the most about this book was the fact that the Julianna knows her stuff and you can tell. Sometimes when you read sports romance books you can be disappointed when there is a lack of the actual sport in the book. With this story that is not the case, you get the "view" the games not just be told about it.

I also loved Gwen and Ty's relationship, how they grew not only as a couple but as individuals. The only issu
RachelW (BamaGal)
Mar 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
This is possibly the beginning to a new baseball series, as a number of players were introduced who have stories to tell. I know I’m definitely interested in Connor’s. I’ve enjoyed most of Keye’s work. Most of her stories have an edgy feel that this one is sadly lacking, however. I like her writing style, and the fact that she sticks with real life and rarely goes ‘cutesy’ on the reader. This, unfortunately, is one that has a distinct NA flavor, which is kind of a mixed bag for me. It wasn’t bad ...more
Gaufre
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is a stellar example of what sport romance should be. It is steeped in the sport, with a hero and heroine who are both relatable and grounded characters.

Ty is a star baseball player having a difficult time. His best friend and teammate is in jail. He is lonely and his game is in a slump.

Gwen is also lonely after the death of the aunt who raised her and shared her passion for baseball. She is works for the team and is incredibly knowledgeable when it comes to baseball, baseball histor
Maggie Whitworth
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
💋💋💋

Excellent book, and such a great series
These two just click and it’s brilliant to read
I want more
Sunny (Kindles & Wine Book Blog)
I loved this book and it was fun to read while in the thick of the baseball season. The person who recommended this book mentioned this author’s obvious knowledge of the game, and she was spot on! I loved hearing the PR side of the game and EVERYTHING about Gwen and Ty.

Baseball lovers, this is a MUST READ!

Well done Julianna Keyes! When can we expect book 2 in the series? How about by all-star break. LOL!
Christine
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, sports-romance
As a fan of Julianna Keyes' Burnham College series, I'm not quite sure how to rate her new romance set in the world of major league baseball. Loved the beginning, loved the baseball, liked Gwen - Julbut by the end, I was disappointed by Ty, confused by Connor, and outright bummed by the abrupt ending.

One of the reasons I'm a fan is because Julianna Keyes usually creates totally flawed but super relatable characters, like the Burnham College gang. I was really cheering for Gwen in the beginning -
Edit~A
(Source: I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Julianna Keyes.)

“I don’t want her phone number,” he said, finally giving voice to words he’d wanted to say for too long. “I don’t want a fake girlfriend. I don’t want to mess things up with my real one.”

I loved this book. I do not know what is with Julianna Keyes and her sporty men, but hey, I love them. They are actually human beings, they do not have to be mean and rude to be cool and strong and sexy and wanted. Yes, some a
Blue
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
An ARC of this book was generously provided to me from the publisher via NetGalley.
Overall Rating: 4 stars
Do I recommend it?: YES!
Genre: Contemporary Romance/ Sports Romance
POV: Dual
Writing: 4 stars. I’ve read books before from Julianna Keyes, and I’ve always enjoyed her writing style. She seems to be getting progressively stronger as a writer, and this book definitely proves that.
Story/Plot: 4 stars. I really enjoyed the overall story and IMO it had a great balance of story, romance, wit and r
Treena
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for granting my request for the ARC of this book. I voluntarily read and reviewed the ARC. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Sports romances are my jam. I love them! And I think I've just found a new author to follow. 😊

I really, really liked this book.

I loved the chemistry between the MC's. I loved that they got to know each other over a period of time in such a down-to-earth way, over scenes that are so relatable. I loved that the MC's themselves are
Peach
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Julianna Keyes is one of my favorite authors. Her writing is solid, her words flow well and she has a wicked sense of humor. I thoroughly enjoyed the first book of the Charleston Thrashers. Baseball serves as the backdrop and I am very impressed with the author's deep knowledge of the game as she used to play baseball. I liked the main characters, Gwen and Ty and they meshed together very well. Though they were both new to relationships, they had their subtle ways of affection. Also, there was n ...more
Courtney
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this book - the setting (Major League Baseball); the characters, both main and supporting, and the plot. It's been a long time between releases for Keyes, but this book was worth the wait. I thought the romance was organic and I really liked how both Gwen and Ty were struggling in different ways. Very sexy, very funny, and all around-terrific contemporary romance.
Karen
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well, it was a true baseball romance. He is a player and she works reluctantly in public relations for the team. She's a baseball whiz and has real common sense.
These are likable characters who grow in their stories. He learns to be more of a team player and she gets to enjoy her work because she's good. They both have the HEA after lots of pit falls over the season.
It's a relaxing read!!
Coco.V
Mar 04, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
💝 ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. 💝
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Nothing But Trouble (Malibu University Series, #1)
  • Headliners (London Celebrities, #5)
  • The Austen Playbook (London Celebrities, #4)
  • Teach Me (There's Something About Marysburg, #1)
  • A Beastly Kind of Earl (Longhope Abbey, #1)
  • Carried Away
  • Superfan (Brooklyn, #3)
  • So Steady (Silver Daughters Ink, #2)
  • Experimental Marine Biology (Chemistry Lessons, #5)
  • Outmatched
  • The Footman (The Masqueraders, #1)
  • Dear Enemy
  • Sure Shot (Brooklyn #4)
  • Fallen Star (Starstruck #1)
  • Mr. Hotshot CEO (Kwan Sisters, #2)
  • The Wedding Deal
  • Nothing But Wild (Malibu University, #2)
  • Sinister Magic (Death Before Dragons, #1)
Julianna Keyes is a Canadian writer who has lived on both coasts and several places in between. She's been skydiving, bungee jumping and white water rafting, but nothing thrills - or terrifies - her as much as the blank page. She loves Chinese food, foreign languages, baseball and television, not necessarily in that order, and will go to her grave swearing that 'ain't' is not a word. She has volun ...more

Charleston Thrashers (2 books)
  • Bench Player (Charleston Thrashers #2)