Start by marking “A Single Bright Candle's Flame (Criminal Intentions: Season One #9)” as Want to Read:
A Single Bright Candle's Flame (Criminal Intentions: Season One #9)

A Single Bright Candle's Flame

(Criminal Intentions: Season One #9)

ABOUT THIS EPISODE

Detective Malcolm Khalaji is at a loss.

For the second time in his life, he wasn't there when his lover needed him. And with Seong-Jae Yoon on leave pending an internal investigation, Malcolm doesn't know what to do with a shattered partner and boyfriend who's retreated from him into a dark and broken place. It's Gabrielle all over again...yet this tim
Published March 10th 2019 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about A Single Bright Candle's Flame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Single Bright Candle's Flame

Start your review of A Single Bright Candle's Flame (Criminal Intentions: Season One #9)
Shile

The Wolf and The Black Cat.

Every time, Malcolm thought.
Every time he thought he had Seong-Jae figured out, he learned something new. He saw some other facet that only made him shine all the brighter.
And he remembered the closed, mistrustful crow of a man he’d first set eyes on in that blood-filled alley, and how in that moment when their gazes had locked he’d had no idea that one day…
One day they would be this. Here.
Together.

I feel like i am being fed the good sweet candy, before P
Simone
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
***4.5 Stars***
Malcolm always seemed to know just what Seong-Jae needed, when what it came down to quite simply was that all Seong-Jae needed was Malcolm.

Cuteness overload...
Bildergebnis für Jason momoa gif

Umm, sorry for swamping you with yet another Mal gif...

#iregretnothing #charactercrush #fangirlmoments

The intro was a tad long this time compared to the whole book being rather short, but the rest was...

~ heart-warming
~ swoonworthy
~ panty-melting
~ soul-stirr... okay, I should
Nicola
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, 5-stars
Seriously. This series is everything.

description

Everyone needs a good dose of lovely in their lives and, after how events played out in our previous visit, Malcom and Seong-Jae need that too. Enter Seong-Ja, younger sister of Seong-Jae, bringer of all things honest and bubbly in life and the one to bring him back out of himself.

description You make my life bright.”

According to McCade’s series Q&A section, ”This episode is your last chance to take a deep breath before…well…everything.” Excited? Damn bloody ri
♥Sharon♥
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Stars....and Malcolm, looming over him, this dark beast vibrating with an intensity Seong-Jae had never seen in the old wolf before, did not understand, but craved so much that he kissed it from his lips, searching deeper and deeper, drugging himself on Malcolm."

His wolf.

His lover.

His addiction.

My heart broke for Seong-Jae at the end of Collateral Damage. He was broken. So I needed this edition to be about Malcolm and Seong-Jae. Thank you CM for g
~Volha~
By author's admission this is the sweetest episode to date, and I couldn't agree more. After so much intensity and fast-paced events, it was a nice change to see Malcolm and Seong-Jae at home and dealing with their feelings rather than suspects.

Seong-Jae is not in a good place after their last case ended so tragically but necessary. He can't breathe and is simply numb. He craves his worst addiction and does not know how to move forward. Malcolm is trying to be there for him unlike the last time
Christine
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, law-enforement
I think this is the first book in the series I’ve rated higher than 3 ⭐️’s. And not because the other books weren’t great. The writing is so freaking exceptional in this series, I often re-read passages just in awe of the authors use of words and prose.

But I’m a girl that loves a whole lot of romance and a little of everything else. So I tend to get bored with the investigations, and I skim to the swoony parts.

I love these guys, so every now and again when I need my fix, I’ll download a book.
haletostilinski
This was definitely the calm before the storm, and I loved it. Give me the almost fluffy - for this series - goodness before the storm.

Seong-Jae is still in a bad place at the beginning of this, and it's been two weeks since he had to kill to save a life, and it's still greatly affecting him. And all Malcom can do and is doing is be there for him no matter what.

Malcolm almost feels helpless because he can't save Seong-Jae, but he doesn't give up and the thing is he can't save Seong-Jae, he can
Ariana
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
*4,5 stars*
We knew this was going to be a short episode and it was.
For that very reason I felt slightly aggrieved at the length of chapter 0. There was an awful lot of Mr. Bishop! I am sure it will have relevance eventually, but, God, I found it hard to concentrate on it when all I wanted was to see how our two guys were getting on!

However, all was forgiven when we get some beautiful, excellent Malcolm/Seong-Jae relationship development (with the usual effects: the gooey puddle on the floor = me
Lisazj1
4.5 stars. *sigh* When the last episode ended, Seong-Jae was in a bad place, from the decision to take a life to save a life. Like Malcolm tells him, it should never be easy, even when it's the right thing to do. And Seong-Jae is suffering for it, to the point where Mal is getting a little worried. But Seong-Jae is snapped out of his misery when a bigger worry suddenly falls in his lap....in the form of his fifteen year old sister, Seong-Ja, who decided to grab her mom's credit card and hop a pl ...more
Mo
Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it

This one seemed a bit shorter than the previous books. Still enjoyable although I sometimes feel I should be taking notes on each book and writing down character names and their part in all the shenanigans! LOL. Feckin' memory. I had to message Lisa about a certain character, wondering who he was!!! Ah, well, one shall keep going! Especially after that ending ...

"Tragedies are interesting, do you not think? Inevitable."

Seong-Jae was in a bad place by the end of the previous book and he feels
Nicole
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"This episode is your last chance to take a deep breath before...well...everything." - Cole McCade

And it is exactly that! In this episode we see how Seong-Jae is dealing with what happened and Malcolm being worried. An unexpected visit from Seong-Jae's sister makes him come back to himself.

I loved Seong-Jae's sister so much! Such an amazing character! And then the ENDING had me going WTH?
Chris
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Any time with Malcolm and Seong Jae is a great time. Seong Jae is struggling right now .. seriously he’s GOT to tell Malcolm what’s going on !!! No doubt this big reveal will come soon enough
I adored this book in the Criminal Intentions series! After constant tension, angst and drama, A Single Bright Candle's Flame was a much needed break and respite.

Seong-Jae is recovering from the events of the 8th book which lead to him shooting and killing a suspect in a case. Malcolm has tried to be there for Seong-Jae as he deals with taking a life, but its been hard on them both. Enter Seong-Ja, Seong-Jae's 16 year old sister, who steals their parents credit card, books a flight and travels a
Truths Loveislovereview
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq, 2019
I love me some good short ones.
Here I almost felt sorry for Edmund Bishop. Criminals are human, have feelings, have families and aren’t only a criminal.

This short one had a surprisingly other content than the ones before. Here we get to know more about Seong-Jae. And we see a loving, caring and concerned Malcolm.
The tornado running through Seong-Jae’s veins is killing. His inner turmoil is heart wrenching.
It hurts seeing Seong-Jae like this... numb. Malcolm is the best!
Seong-Jae got a visitor a
Lori
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Still loving this series! Seong-Jae and Malcom are so sweet in this episode and it was nice to meet Seong-Ja as well. I guess shit's about to hit the fan though! I can't wait to see what is going on with Sade because they are freaking me right out!
Caipi
Intense and emotional!! 💕💕

⚣Michaelle⚣
So much intensity, so much love. This couple is gonna be the death of me, I think. Especially if this is the "fluffy" installment. Comparatively, yes, it was. But still really emotional.

I want more of Seong-Ja.

I also want to know what the ever-loving hell Sade is up to.

I would absolutely adore some Anji/Dani, too. I really hope that's in the works.
Claude
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
« You’re everything. You overwhelm me and I don’t want to lose myself but I need to drown in you and you make me feel like I could sink forever and never come up for air. »

God...These two...

Detective Yoon:

Detective Khalaji: LOVE YOU!

I think it's the shortest volume since the beginning of the series.
We find our two favorite detectives, 2 weeks after the last investigation that left Yoon traumatized.
Malcom took a few days to take care of Yoon. Did I say cute? CUTE. CUTE. CUTE.

In the middle o
**Kaycee**
**4.5 stars**

Wow!! I'm gleefully stuck in this series! In this book, no.9, Seong-Jae is taking a break from homicide following a very stressful incident and Malcolm is right there by his side. Both men, but particularly Seong-Jae, are somewhat bewildered and a lot terrified with how much they feel for the other, especially in such a short amount of time. And it's sweet to watch as it unfolds, but I am biting my nails because Cole McCade has something devilish up his sleeves!

Readers get another b
M
God, I loved this short episode. It was the exact right mixture of heartbreak, tension and fluffy, saccharine goodness to get me out of a dark place and right into a very warm, comforting nest of good feelings, adoration for *everyone*, but mostly Seong-Jae and Seong-Ja, and just... This feeling of calm comfort right before the biggest storm hits.

The ending though. THE ENDING. Without spoiling anything I really, honestly do not know how to deal with it yet, it has me biting my nails. So bad. SO
mina reads™️
three things
1. I’m in love with Seong-Ja and big brother Seong-Jae is everything I’ve ever needed

2. WE NEED MORE SLICE OF LIFE STORIES FOR SEONGJAE AND MALCOM THEY DESERVE REST

3. When will we finally understand what’s happening with min zhe and sade?????
Karen
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yep!!! Another amazing Mal and Seong-Jae story...full review to follow soonish!

Sometimes all you need is a little love...

'A Single Bright Candle's Flame' is the 9th episode in season 1 of Cole McCade's series Criminal Intentions and so far this series has not failed to deliver. As Malcolm Khalaji and Soeng-Jae Yoon have gone from new police partners to friends and ultimately lovers solving crimes and fitting themselves into each other's lives it's been one hella' good roller coaster ride of
Bev
Is it me or was that a really short story?? Anyhoo, I liked seeing Seong-Jae interact with his much younger transgender sister Seong-Ja. I loved that she got Seong out of his post shooting funk, and helped Malcolm get his real lover back.

As for Lucas [who must be Seong-Jae's crazy ex from LA], I fear for Gabi's life having to work with him, and she already seems to understand that he's extremely unstable. Sade and Jason seem to be at odds with each other, and didn't we all see that one coming...
Athira
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq, awesome-series
While the intro was bit too long, I think this is the shortest in the series yet. Probably because they don't have a case.

This book was cute and heartwarming and fluffy and just made me smile a lot. We finally meet Seong Jae's 15 year old sister and she's a spitfire! A whirlwind, if you want to use Seong Jae's words. I love her already.

I feel like this book is the calm before storm. Like the author is trying to feed us all this sweet moments and then BANG!! You were fooled!

Seong-Jae made every
Carolyn Elias
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Short & sweet (maybe) everything needed then BANG!

Amazing Cole! Just what I, Seong-Jae and Malcolm needed after all we’ve been through! Seong-Jae is in a very dark space after having to kill a man and Malcolm is determined to be there and support him. Malcolm wasn’t there for Gabriella, too lost in his own guilt and grief but he damn will be there for Seong-Jae. Then Seong-Jae’s sister shows up and shows what family is all about. Then BANG!, it’s OMG!

I purchased this story to support my author,
Claudia
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just finished and loved it.
Yes there is no real mystery part in there but what we get to see about Seong-Jae and Malcolm is just gorgeous.
Love those two together
Leslie
⭐️⭐️⭐️.5/5 Stars

More of an intermission kind of “episode.” No new case. Very short. But things progressing with the long term plots. High on feels! I liked it.
Aleksandra
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-releases
so sweet and so wholesome, with a dash of oh-gods-what’s-happening in the prologue and epilogue.
The next day installments are going to be the wildest ride.

Criminal Intentions has remained my all time favorite mystery book series since book 1 and we are at book 9. Cole McCade published a book in a month. It’s incredible, all of these books are great and I love them. I adore this diverse inclusive mystery series, which takes the police work and the society we live in seriously.

That said, I think I
Ollie
“Is…it not wrong to grieve a murderer?”
“Life is life, and we’re never meant to be judge, jury, and executioner. There’s…there’s always a feeling of loss, of grief, on discovering we have the capacity to kill.” And that lesson had shattered him, too, so long ago…and he wasn’t sure he had ever come back together into whole pieces. “You can hate the life you took, and still hate the taking.”
Barely over 100 pages, this part is sort of an intermission between the cases. Seong-Jae is dealing with
Dannica Zulestin
So this book is kind of unlike the other books in the series thus far. It's probably most like book 4 (to me at least) because it's more mellow and more about emotional beats than about a case, but... this book straight up doesn't have a case at all. Like. There was no case.

I was surprised that I still liked it very much! We get to meet Seong-Jae's little sister, which is a lot of fun bc we haven't met any of his family or old friends so far (...except Sila and I'm not sure Sila should count) an
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Orientation (Borealis Investigations, #1)
  • A Chip and a Chair (Seven of Spades, #5)
  • Triangulation (Borealis Investigations, #2)
  • Dealing in Death (Death and the Devil #2.5)
  • Declination (Borealis Investigations, #3)
  • Wayward (Hazard and Somerset: A Union of Swords, #4)
  • Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Big Bad Wolf, #4)
  • Police Brutality (Hazard and Somerset: A Union of Swords, #2)
  • When Death Frees the Devil (Death and the Devil, #3)
  • The Rational Faculty (Hazard and Somerset: A Union of Swords, #1)
  • Devil in the Details (Death and the Devil, #1.8)
  • One-Eyed Royals (Seven of Spades, #4)
  • Why the Devil Stalks Death (Death and the Devil, #2)
  • Murder Aforethought (Cabrini Law #2)
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • Ground Zero (Zero Hour, #1)
  • Principles of Spookology (The Spectral Files, #2)
  • Cash Plays (Seven of Spades, #3)
Slender. Angry. (Part) Asian.

Yeah, that about sums me up.

Hi. I’m Cole. Xen. Whatever you want to call me; both are true, and both are lies. My pen names are multitudes, my nicknames legion. Tall, bi/queer, introverted author of a brown-ish persuasion made up of various flavors of Black, Asian, and Native American. I’m cuter than Hello Kitty, more bitter than the blackest coffee, and able to trip o

Criminal Intentions: Season One (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Cardigans (Criminal Intentions: Season One #1)
  • Junk Shop Blues (Criminal Intentions: Season One #2)
  • The Man with the Glass Eye (Criminal Intentions: Season One #3)
  • Changing Faces (Criminal Intentions: Season One #4)
  • It's Witchcraft (Criminal Intentions: Season One #5)
  • Where There’s Smoke (Criminal Intentions: Season One #6)
  • Cult of Personality (Criminal Intentions: Season One #7)
  • Collateral Damage (Criminal Intentions: Season One, #8)
  • Backdraft (Criminal Intentions: Season One #10)
  • Crescendo (Criminal Intentions: Season One #11)