Start by marking “Fortuna (The Nova Vita Protocol, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fortuna (The Nova Vita Protocol, #1)

Fortuna

(Nova Vita Protocol #1)

Fortuna launches a new space opera trilogy that will hook you from the first crash landing.

Published October 8th 2019 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Fortuna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fortuna

Start your review of Fortuna (The Nova Vita Protocol, #1)
Justine
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-read
Merbeth takes the family space crew trope and does a more than decent job with it. While this book isn't nearly as wackadoo as the author's excellent debut, Bite, it does share some of the same great qualities.

Merbeth's characters are real, and not just flawed, but downright seriously troubled. It is clear she has a good understanding of relationships and their complexity, and this provides a solid basis for an engaging story.

The two POV characters, Scorpia and her older brother Corvus, each
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2019/11/11/...

Kristyn Merbeth, AKA K.S. Merbeth, the author behind the rollicking Wastelanders novels Bite and Raid, takes her brand of riotous adventure and thrills to even greater heights in Fortuna. In this action-packed space opera about a dysfunctional family of smugglers, we journey with Scorpia Kaiser and her mother and siblings aboard their titular ship across a galaxy filled with conflict and chaos.

As the eldest daughter and
Holly (The Grimdragon)
"The moment we hit atmosphere, my nerves dissipate into a rush of adrenaline that makes me feel like I'm floating. I'm barely aware of my hands moving over the control board or my eyes roving the screens; instead the incoming information merges with my own thoughts, which flow seamlessly into responses from the ship, as if Fortuna is an extension of my body, another limb."

Fortuna is yet another book that caught my eye on Twitter when I initially saw the cover. I filed it away in my chaotic brain
Sana
Feb 16, 2019 marked it as to-read-so-bad-it-hurts
THIS IS ABOUT A WHOLE-ASS FAMILY OF SPACE SMUGGLERS, YESSSS
Christine Sandquist (eriophora)
This review and others can be read on my blog, Black Forest Basilisks.

Fortuna’s premise snagged me in an instant – a whole family of space smugglers! Devastating massacres! A young, roguish captain vying for power! How could I resist? Yet, while it didn’t disappoint… neither did it impress. Advertised as “Perfect for fans of Becky Chambers and Catherynne M. Valente,” I came in expecting both a fascinating, non-conventional setting combined with a cast of truly lovable and kind characters.
Lindsay
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The Fortuna is a small crewed freighter in the Nova Vita system, a rarity in a time of increasing tension and isolationism in interplanetary politics. The Kaiser family survives through careful planning (each child of the family has a different planetary citizenship) and various legal and illegal jobs. Scorpia Kaiser is the ship's pilot who has lived her life in the shadow of her brother Corvus. Corvus has been off fighting a pointless and brutal war for three years, but he's about to return, ...more
Denise
3.5 Promising space opera romp with likable flawed characters (mostly) with POV alternating between a sister and brother’s internal thoughts. My main complaint was the inner thoughts became too wordy and repetitive. Ending gives foreshadowing of next book that promises more aliens in the plot.
Koeur
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 1.7/5

Review: I think this is a new writer and I am the first one to plant an ol’ review on here. So I am thinking kind(er) thoughts and expressing in a more…voluble way.

This would have been great…IF the story line either shjt or got off the pot. The long winded and winding road that leads to a culmination in barely audible farts, left me bereft of the want I feel for characters. Take for instance, Scorpia. Well, how many times do we have to experience her stupid choices and drunkard
FanFiAddict
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Rating: +

Synopsis

Scorpia Kaiser has always stood in Corvus’s shadow until the day her older brother abandons their family to participate in a profitless war. However, becoming the heir to her mother’s smuggling operation is not an easy transition for the always rebellious, usually reckless, and occasionally drunk pilot of the Fortuna, an aging cargo ship and the only home Scorpia has ever known.

But when a
Meshia Chatman
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. I enjoy reading form Scorpia and Corvus point of view and how the siblings doing everything they can to protect their family. Cant wait for the sequel. I recommend this book for people who want to get into a science fiction novels.
Elizabeth
I want to thank Orbit Books for providing me with a copy to read Fortuna in exchange for my open and honest review.

Imagine Momma Fratelli from Goonies is your mother and ship captain. Except your ship is in space, and you are part of a family of smugglers. Your family is spectacularly chaotic, and you are trying to save millions of people. Fortuna is this story told by author Kristyn Merbeth previously writing as author K.S Merbeth in the Wastelanders duology.

I have had my eye on this book for
NinjaMuse
In brief: Scorpia Kaiser is a screw-up, the family pilot, and out to prove she has what it takes to take over smuggling operations from Mama. Corvus Kaiser, exiled from his family to fight a war he doesn’t believe in, is finally coming home. Then a smuggling deal goes massively south and suddenly, what was going to be a difficult time becomes much, much worse. First of a trilogy.

Thoughts: For a book that starts with a drunken crash landing, this did not go anywhere close to where I thought it
Cat C
Nov 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Sci-fi adventure with complicated family dynamics

I was really frustrated with the first half of this book - it moved slowly and I absolutely hated one of our narrators, Scorpia (her brother Circus is the other). But once the main event finally kicked into gear, both horrible and fascinating, I couldn't put that book down. So in terms of pacing I guess you have to be patient and remember this is a planned trilogy, though there is a satisfying narrative arc in this book.

A little more on Scorpia,
WS_BOOKCLUB
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi

Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with this book in exchange for my honest opinion. This book is available now.

Oh dear. I wanted to like this book, I really did. I’m a big fan of smuggling in stories in general, and especially in space (blame the incredible show Firefly). Unfortunately, this book was a giant resounding “meh” from me.

WS_BOOKCLUB

I can’t pinpoint anything really wrong with the book, it just didn’t keep my attention. The characters weren’t all that engaging, and Scorpia annoyed me. She
John
Dec 31, 2019 rated it did not like it
A dysfunctional family with an abusive parent; a depressive, alcoholic narrator who pilots the ship to a crash landing that somehow...isn’t; a military unit facing child suicide bombers—saw nothing in the opening that made me think that reading this might bring any sort of pleasure. DNF.
Amber
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great start to a trilogy from an excellent new author! I love SF and I love complicated family dynamics and I love how the Kaiser siblings react to finding themselves in an unexpectedly pivotal position. I very much appreciate the care and attention Merbeth put into the siblings personalities and relationships because they felt real, and their interactions reminded me of shenanigans with my own siblings.

There's a lot to love here, and the story moves right along and kept me fully engaged from
Hannah Vestal
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Kaiser family is my new favorite space family.

I read Fortuna as an eARC from NetGalley, so thank you for the opportunity to read and review this novel.

Space. A family of smugglers. Political drama. How could I resist reading Fortuna with this sort of content?

Fortuna follows the story of the Kaisers, particularly the eldest two, Scorpia and Corvus, who follow in their Momma’s footsteps to be ruthless smugglers. After a job goes south, the Kaisers must decide once and for all how far they are
Elizabeth
Dec 26, 2019 rated it liked it

I have had my eye on this book for
Blue
Fortuna tells the story of a smuggler family in a human-settled planetary system. The family's leader is a ferocious, uncompromising woman, who seems to have calculated even the brith planets of her children to best benefit the family business. The story is told from the point of views of the eldest, perfect son, Corvus, and the second eldest, alcoholic fuck-up, Scorpia. Scorpia is bitter that Corvus left them with no word to fight in the war in his home/birth planet, Titan and has been gone for ...more
Will
4.2 / 5

Fortuna is the space opera debut from Wastelanders author Kristyn Merbeth. This one has been on my radar for a while, only partly due to its absolutely beautiful cover. Two siblings, separated by time and space, reunite at the turning point of all things.

Scorpia Kaiser once stood in her elder brother’s shadow. But when three years prior, he abandoned their family to fight in the war on his home world, she hoped this would change. Three years, and
Amy A
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
3.5

Originally posted at Vampire Book Club

From a young age the five Kaiser siblings have been instilled with the idea that you can only count on your family. In a family of smugglers, it’s pretty sound advice. That is, until oldest brother Corvus abandons them to fight in the civil war on his home planet of Titan.

Amy A
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

At least, that’s how Scorpia Kaiser felt the day her older brother left without so much as a goodbye. But in the three years of his absence, Scorpia has taken over the captain’s seat, and she’s gunning for running the whole
Halez
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an advance ebook copy of Cosmic Fever from netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Big thanks to netgalley and the publishers!

Fortuna is about a FAMILY OF SPACE SMUGGLERS (awesome, right?!), with the main focus on the oldest sister and brother (Scorpia and Corvus, respectively). Corvus has been fighting in a war for three years, while Scorpia struggles with drinking yet wants to take over the smuggling business.

While Merbeth does put the main focus on the characters' struggles
Lindsay Scott
The cover is so pretty and I wanted to like it so much. But there's just too many things about this that annoyed me.

Number one, for a book with a whole system full of inhabitable planets, the author sure did make the world feel small. Each planet seems to be condensed to a single community with particular defining traits. One planet has a president that represents the entire planet. I'm sorry, what? Can you imagine having a president of Earth? If it's something like only small parts of the
Edwin Howard
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
FORTUNA, by Kristyn Merbeth, is about a family (the Kaisers) of ethically questionable traders/smugglers who live on a ship called the Fortuna. In this this epic space novel, the reader finds the family in flux, the mother of the group is looking towards retirement, the oldest daughter, Scorpia, eyes taking over the ship and the business, but being an impulsive drunk holds her back. A surprise return of the eldest child, Corvus, makes line of succession even more complicated and the rest of the ...more
Eric
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5/5 really, interested to see where it goes but it had some issues. Essentially about a family led by a matriarch who engage in smuggling between four planets that mankind has colonized after abandoning Earth. When a deal goes bad and the resulting fallout results in a genocide of sorts, the crew have to decide what to do: whether that involves taking responsibility to trying to prevent future events. So it was an interesting story and I liked that it was different and distinctly more sci-fi ...more
Bonnie McDaniel
I've had a run of bad books lately, and unfortunately this is another one. The worldbuilding in this one, while not outstanding, is adequate, and the setup could have been interesting. But the characters did this book in about halfway through.

I don't demand that my characters be likable. An unlikable character, if well-written with clear motivations and shades of grey, can be compelling. None of these characters meet that bar, except possibly for Corvus, and in the end he wasn't enough to
Thomas
Dec 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Merbeth, Kristyn. Fortuna. Nova Vita Protocol No. 1. Orbit, 2019.
A dysfunctional family crewing a spaceship involved in an interplanetary smuggling business, doing battle with pirates and warring planetary governments—all this has promise, but there are a lot of dropped stitches. While we expect dysfunctional families to have flaws, there needs to be something savable in one of them, and we badly wish they did not take themselves so boringly seriously. The best character, the
Shaun
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This was such a quick and easy 500 page read that I can't call it anything except Young Adult Fiction with a small bit of swearing and a fair amount of violence (New Adult Fiction?). The main character is a 27 year old woman who essentially talks and acts like a 17 year old girl. Not sure why people are going out of their way to tag this 'adult' when it's truly not.

In saying that it is a very interesting premise and story set into a promising solar system setting. I had no problem with any of

• Sisters of the Vast Black
  • Chilling Effect (Chilling Effect, #1)
  • Escaping Exodus
  • Salvaged
  • The Cruel Stars
  • Queen of the Conquered
  • Velocity Weapon (The Protectorate #1)
  • The Killing Light (The Sacred Throne, #3)
  • The Name of All Things (A Chorus of Dragons, #2)
  • How Rory Thorne Destroyed the Multiverse (The Thorne Chronicles, #1)
  • Down Among the Dead (The Farian War #2)
  • The Library of the Unwritten (Hell's Library #1)
  • Empress of Forever
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • The Last Astronaut
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Ancestral Night (White Space, #1)
  • Interference (Semiosis Duology, #2)