Start by marking “Osgood As Gone (The Spectral Inspector, #1)” as Want to Read:
Osgood As Gone (The Spectral Inspector, #1)

Osgood As Gone (The Spectral Inspector, #1)

Once an exciting up-and-coming star of the burgeoning paranormal investigation TV genre, now Prudence Osgood finds herself as a barely functioning alcoholic living in daily pain, both physical, from a car accident nearly twenty years ago, and emotional, from the loss of Audrey Frost, her partner and best friend, over an ill-advised hoax. When a random and cryptic email sho ...more
Paperback, 1
Expected publication: April 22nd 2019 by H&C Press

To ask other readers questions about Osgood As Gone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Osgood As Gone

David Sodergren
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How many supernatural mysteries have you read that feature a pan-sexual, non-monogamous ghost hunter as the lead? Not enough, I'd wager. Well, why not start here?

This book touches on lots of my favourite things - cults, weird conspiracy theories, sex, vinyl backmasking, 90s pop star breakdowns, ghost hunters, inter dimensional beings...but all wrapped up with crackling dialogue and relatable characters.

Cooper S. Beckett is a name to watch, and I will certainly be reading the next book in the Spe
Holly (The Grimdragon)
"Osgood shouts into the dark. No echo returns. She lifts her face back to the beacons. Beyond it, the sky is inky black emptiness, absent of clouds and stars, as though her world has shrunk down to only this place, swallowed up into darkness by some great leviathan, or cruising through outer-outer-space in a bubble of black. She startles herself by barking out a laugh that sounds more like a rough cough. A wave of relief washes over her as the laugh is reflected and echoes back to her."

I was con
Kath West
Ravin Maurice
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to read an ARC of this novel, and I am SO glad I did.
Crossing into a few different genre's, Osgood as Gone is a damn good story. With well crafted characters and a world so fully formed you'd swear you had been there before, this book was hard for me to put down. This novel, the first in the Spectral Inspector series, follows Prudence Osgood as she is drawn into a mystery when she receives a strange cryptic email that pulls her into a case involving missing people from rest s
Bookish_Pineapple
I am grateful to say I was able to read and review this book from the author! I normally don't do a lot of mystery but this one peaked my interest! I loved the supernatural aspects of it and the relationships between the characters. There is not enough strong female leads out there! It definitely gets you thinking about what you would do in Osgood’s situation. I'd like to think I would kick ass like her. She teaches you it's ok to have hard times. And I am so down for the 80s/90s vibes! This boo ...more
Siân Plummer (plumreads__s)
Review to come on scifiandscary.com !
Tyler Hayes
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished an ARC of this book, and I have to say, OSGOOD AS GONE is phenomenal. It's like Stephen king does creepypasta, with some excellent LGBT+ rep to boot. Beckett is expert at weaving a creepy, haunting urban legend of a mystery, full of King and Carpenter and other 80s/90s horror vibes that feel like a love letter to the style while still being something fresh and original of its own. The characters really pop, with distinctive voices across the board, and a distinctive narrative voi ...more
kelcie_reads
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Prudence Osgood is a paranormal investigator turned podcast host after a hoax not only lost Osgood her job but her first love, Audrey Frost, as well. When she receives a strange text from an unknown sender, she and her partner begin and investigation that leads her back to Audrey, her missing twin sister and a car accident that’s haunted her for years.

Osgood As Gone has tons of twists that had me intrigued from the first page until the very last. The characters are well written and they feel li
Kat Stark
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even though mysteries & supernatural/horror stories aren't usually my bag, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I was lucky enough to be an advance reader and read the entire thing in one sitting. I found it extremely compelling; the characters feel like real people and I got pretty lost in the story wondering how it would all unfold.
Lisa Diaz Meyer
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderfully disturbing mystery brimming with fractured friendships and nightmarish scenes!
5 Stars!
Katherine
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading Osgood As Gone. It was such a dark and twisty page turner! It has a detective noir feel, with a helping of cosmic horror, characters you can get attached to and just in case your imagination isn’t up to the task, there are even a few spooky pictures.

It centers around Prudence Osgood, a ghost hunter and podcaster who is a bit down on her luck. She is dealing with serious chronic pain from a previous car accident and the heartbreak of losing her best friend and one time lo
Sara Tantlinger
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to the author for an ARC copy.

Osgood As Gone by Cooper S. Beckett is a witty first book in The Spectral Inspector series. Osgood is an intriguing character filled with dark humor, vices, and a complex background. She is an imperfect heroine, which makes the book all the more interesting to delve into. The quick banter, gritty plot, and development between the characters all weave together to create an adventure lurking with darkness. The book is pretty dialogue-heavy, so if you rely mo
Hayley Ann
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WOW! This was a fantastic read!
I am very grateful to the author for my advanced copy!
Beckett is truly talented when it comes to writing characters who are truly likeable and realistically flawed. The main character, Osgood, is a badass with chronic pain who identifies as a pansexual queer. I love how she isn't defined by her sexuality (which is refreshing to find in LBGT+ literature), nor her health issues, but is instead revealed to be a human woman doing the best that she can.
Beckett also sho
Lexi
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
Prudence Osgood is a queer ghost hunter who relies on alcohol and oxy to help her feel somewhat decent after an accident twenty years ago left her physically and mentally scarred. When she receives a strange text, her and two friends have a case on their hands.

The author was kind enough to send me an ARC and I really enjoyed this! I wish we could do half stars because I would really rate this as 3.5/5. This is well written, the characters are likable and you’re left wondering what will happen n
Karen
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Summer
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A surprising gem of a novel, if you love horror/mystery/suspense. Cooper S. Beckett has created a relatable protagonist in Prudence Osgood, a late-thirties queer woman who is refreshingly and unapologetically flawed. You’ll be surprised by how everything fits together. (Totally cliched but TRUE line incoming!) The mystery kept me guessing until the end!
Sandra Monse
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very intriguing
Joseph M.
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Osgood as Gone is a bourbon soaked supernatural mystery leading to a heart pounding climax. Prudence Osgood is a force to be reckoned with in any dimension. A truly great read!
Winn Medina
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to be offered to read Osgood As Gone early and I have to say I absolutely loved it.
The world that Cooper S. Beckett creates fills me with dread in the best way possible. Following Osgood as she navigates this world while also attempting to deal with her intense trauma had me wanting more as soon as I finished.

With complex, realistic characters and a terrifying mystery, I can't recommend this book enough!
Claire Holland
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to receive an ARC of this book, and I gobbled it up! Prudence Osgood is a true heroine for our times – gritty, complex and sharp-witted, vulnerable but never broken. A darkly captivating mystery infused with the warmth of well-loved characters and an undercurrent of crawling dread.
Maggie Herrera ☾ (Witching Reads)
Fans of paranormal mystery will definitely enjoy this one, the illustrations were also amazingly done. This book has a lot of potential and I’m looking forward to see what comes next.

The author was kind enough to send me an Arc.
Yolanda Olson
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cults and creepy things? Yes please!

I just finished my advanced copy of Osgood as Gone. This is a great page turner and I think that starting with the mysterious text was actually pretty genius. It gripped me from the beginning and kept my attention throughout.

This story centers around Prudence who's a bit down on her luck and trying to recover from her car wreck and loss of Audrey.

Horror, suspense, intrigue, and a hell of a leading lady make for an epic start to this series and I for one can't
Acrawfo.Ac
Michelle Garza
Osgood as Gone is a blend of supernatural detective story, cosmic horror and dark humor that is impossible to put down. With a main character who will steal your heart as fast as her backstory will break it. She’s flawed and broken but unapologetically human throughout the twisted path she travels towards a horrifying truth that only a badass like her could confront. Loved every page.
-Michelle Garza and Melissa Lason, authors of Mayan Blue, Those Who Follow, and Twin Lakes: Autumn Fires.
Alexis
Stephanie Rogers
Larah
Al
Mar 21, 2019
As a queer non-monogamous writer, Cooper S. Beckett endeavors to create characters that reflect the diverse lifestyles of his friends, his partners, and himself. From that mandate, he writes scary, silly, and sexy books and essays. Beginning his writing career as a podcaster and speaker in the sexuality education community, he wrote My Life on the Swingset, a memoir of his first five years in non- ...more