Start by marking “The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari: A Fable About Fulfilling Your Dreams and Reaching Your Destiny” as Want to Read:

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  98,267 ratings  ·  5,737 reviews
Wisdom to Create a Life of Passion, Purpose, and Peace

This inspiring tale provides a step-by-step approach to living with greater courage, balance, abundance, and joy. A wonderfully crafted fable, The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari tells the extraordinary story of Julian Mantle, a lawyer forced to confront the spiritual crisis of his out-of-balance life. On a life-changing odys
Published April 21st 1999 by HarperOne (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari, please sign up.
Harish Sankar Read it one chapter at a time; Not the whole thing at once.
Think about what is shared in the chapter.
Read the next chapter the next day!…more
Read it one chapter at a time; Not the whole thing at once.
Think about what is shared in the chapter.
Read the next chapter the next day!(less)
Gaurang Motivation for what? To read it?
Motivation for what? To read it?
It does not "seem" like ..but it is indeed a self help book. May be looks drama to you because you are already helped..hahaha.
I always thought the audience of the book was american people, where the moto is more or less..."we can do everything". The thirst for big cars and million dollar businesses. But I recently had a friend get motivated enough by this book to keep herself busy during the confinement. I read this way back and kind of became a bit more productive. Learned to organise my time for better things.
I still think one can fall in the trap of being too productive. (less)

·  98,267 ratings  ·  5,737 reviews

Start your review of The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari: A Fable About Fulfilling Your Dreams and Reaching Your Destiny
David Tendo
May 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
Loved the message, just didn't like the format it was presented in. Felt like the author just had a list of frequently asked questions and set out to answer each and every one of them one by one systematically, so there wasn't much narrative or actual enjoyment in the reading of it. The "story" is essentially just 2 guys talking over dinner, actually only 1 guy talking (the titular Monk), the other guy is just there to ask the questions in between the long monologues and to confirm the Monk's an ...more
jenna
Jan 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
I categorized this book under spoofs because it made me laugh so much. I wanted to stop reading it because I found it ridiculous, but I wouldn't feel worthy of panning it here if I hadn't completed it and the joy of sharing my take on this book kept me turning pages and dog-earring quotable pages.

First, let me be clear, I like me some cheese; I like it with crackers and I like it with wine and I like it in my entertainment and personal growth. That this book is cheesier than a Velveeta factory w
Dimple
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
"The monk who sold his Ferrari" can be called as life-changing novel!
These kind of novels add essence to your life and gives you direction specially in the hard times. It gives you the answer to the questions like What is the purpose of life? How we can attain happiness and satisfaction? etc..
Nothing in it is Unknown to us yet it makes us notice that "Known"!
It tells us to savor each moment with exuberance along with an aim in life.. It is our prerogative to lead a happy successful and rewarding
Adina
Dec 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: short, non-fiction, india
I am not a fan of personal development books written by so called motivational writers. I prefer writers that have previously done something with their life. However, I received this as a gift from my best friend and I was feeling a little bit under the weather so I felt that some motivation was welcomed. I tried to keep my heart open and was prepared to absorb as many life-changing advices as possible.

I knew the book was total garbage from the first 20 pages but I tried to give it a chance and
Astrid Natasastra
Oct 18, 2008 rated it did not like it
Now I rarely read a book and stopped halfway.
Unless if it's really really boring.
Such as this one.
And it wasn't supposed to be boring. Because it's a fable.
But I didn't get anything out of it.So halfway reading, I skim through the rest.
I have the habit of joting down verses/nice words from my readings and..this book failed to give me anything.

Other than that.. I feel like it's a 'trying too hard version'of 'The Secret', 'Eat Pray Love' (the 'Pray section) and 'Tuesday with Morrie'

So sadly to say
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ✺❂❤❣
I don't know about this. I started it about 10 times and dropped it like it's hot NOT. Maybe I need to get in the proper mood for this.

And the overflowing cup metaphor? How many times has this frakking Chinese legend been retold? 50 times? 1000 times? It's nice to think about the first couple hundred times I heard it but by the present moment it's my killswitch. I have read about it literally everywhere! Including spam and ads on miraculous stuff to get my nonexistent dick larger!

I can't even r
Peep Laja
Jun 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people searching for meaning and direction
The first time I read this book I just loved it. I read it at the time when I was asking myself questions regarding 'What to do with my life?'.

I found the book very energizing, giving me a lot of inspiration and motivation to go on and many answers to my questions.

When I read the book the second time, it didn't seem to have the same effect.

PS! Who is looking for great literary value, will be disappointed. Sharma is no writer, but if you can focus on the message, it won't bother.
Anuradha
Feb 01, 2016 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: FSB. They can use it for torture.
If I could take back all the hours I spent on reading this crap, I would. To say I hated it would be an understatement. Oh, it changed my life indeed, after all, it almost turned me into a homicidal maniac. And I still don't get the fucking point of the book.

Also, who the fuck sells their Ferrari? If there is anyone who's planning to do so after having read this book, feel free to contact me. I'm in the market for a new car anyway.
Sanjay Gautam
Jan 17, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A mediocre book. Although the author has tried to make the book full of wisdom, it hardly achieve its desired result - of helping an individual; it utterly fails to make any impact.
Aakanksha
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read a full review - Blog

Never forget the importance of living with unbridled exhilaration. Never neglect to see the exquisite beauty in all living things. Today, and this very moment is a gift. Stay focused on your purpose. The Universe will take care of everything else. It is a recommendable read.
Sumati
Sweet mother of Jesus!! What was I trying to read???

This novel is a self-indulgent twaddle of a z-grade author!! What a load of rubbish.
Catherine Oughtibridge
The monk who sold his Ferrari, is a misleading title. The man who sold his Ferrari and became a monk, would have been more accurate. The idea of a monk driving a Ferrari is somewhat thought provoking and made me smile. The book itself was a merger between fiction and instruction on techniques to perfect your life experience. From a fiction point of view, it too often told rather than showed. It’s an easy to read book (I read it in an afternoon) and the structure works well making it easy to reme ...more
Ujjawal Sureka
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Genre: Spiritual
Publication Date: 1996

This is one of the better books in the realm of personal development in close association with spirituality.

The story is of Julian Mantle, a hotshot lawyer who has everything that money can buy, who has his life turned around when he gets a heart attack in the midst of a courtroom. He then goes to the mysterious land of India to get away from the fast paced frenzy and to rediscover his soul and find his true purpose and meaning in life.

Here he is met with s
Catherine Howard
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Outing myself as a reader of self-improvement books with this review, but so what... I think it's all a bit of a waste of time if you don't try to spend some of your time improving your life from within.

THE MONK WHO SOLD HIS FERRARI didn't start off well for me because I absolutely detest fables; my idea of cruel and unusual punishment is being forced to re-read THE CELESTINE PROPHECY, for example. My problem with fables is that they are, more often than not, stupid. They come across as a child
Sash Chiesa
Nov 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
Just another terribly mediocre book trying to sell some cheap philosophy!
Muthazhagu Palanisamy
Mar 31, 2010 rated it it was ok
A lot irritated by the narration, but not the content.

May be it is my prejudice - I find the "fable" approach to self-help books tedious to read. The last one I read, that took a similar approach, was Gung Ho! by Ken Blanchard, and came off thinking that the whole book was silly. The Monk Who... came highly recommended, and hence I plunged in.

The book starts off on a promising note - hot-shot lawyer has a heart-attack in court, right after winning a big case. What happens next?

Here's what happe
Shog Al Maskery
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's the type of book that reminds you of life lessons you probably knew but never applied. It touches upon simple things that we can do that will make big differences in our lives.
Ravi Gangwani
Only book in my life which I tried to read 6 times and never got out past 80 Pages every time. And given-up finally :(

Julian, the lead, clearly looked as constructed to frame the story, seems very boring and hence big turn-off.
Shubhneet
Apr 29, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shittiest book .Moreover it has a torturing narrative.The author tried very hard to write
a best seller ,picking bits and pieces from other self help stuff and he succeed in his job making 15 million people fools.
Himanshu Karmacharya
The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari is basically a self help book told in the format of a story. It is filled with positivity and motivation. And there is plenty of wisdom in the book.

But the book does seem ridiculous at times and it feels like one is reading an infomercial script.

The book did uplift me and filled me with positive vibes at times, but it still didn't convince me to sell my Ferrari (if I had one).
Abhilash Kulkarni
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Some books are meant to be tasted, some are meant to chewed, some digested. While there are some rare books that not only meant to be digested but also made to be a part of the body and mind. The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari is one such book.
The books moves at a good pace and the never becomes boring as peachy books tend to be. In fact, the way the teachings have been presented in a story format is the most important reason why this book has become so popular among the masses. It also lasts only 2
Jojo A
Mar 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What can I say about this book. At the very begining of it I was glad to read it because it had triggered many bad habits I was doing related to my thinking which awakened me. However, I was doing 3/4 of what Julian was talking about, so I was more familiar with what he mentioned or tired to convey.

The story if fanatic which is produced in a phsycological analysis. It's yes inspirational, but come on! They made the 10 ritual habits so easy to do which is not, when I reached the half of the book
Ru
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book feels like a patronizing practical joke. But the agony you feel reading it is very real. This is the printed equivalent of when the Hare Krishna community would stop you on the street or at the airport and tell you all about the Bhagavad Gita, and no matter how politely you declined to hear more, they wouldn't let you leave. This is not a long book by any means, but you'd never know it. Let me get to my problems with it, which seem numerous, but at the same time I don't even want to in ...more
BookOfCinz
2019
A timely reminder that you can change your life at anytime.

January 14, 2018
"The Monk Who Sold My Ferrari" is one of my favorite books to (re)read at the start of the year. This book never disappoints and it was great getting a reminder of all the things I need to focus on to make this a great year. Too often we get all caught up in the rat race and as this book succinctly puts it, "even if you win the rat race you are still a rat".
I do try daily to incorporate the 10 Rituals of Radiant Livi
Onur
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
One successful lawyer commences a journey through to unknow somewhere. In the book, he explains to his discipline that he learnt from India. The book is useful and flashing for self-improvement. Also, there are 10 good discipline in the book that it demonstrates secret of endless happiness. For sure it is difficult to apply all of them in normal life but how much you can do, do it. Just one point that I want to add, there is a conflict between this moment live like you will be die tomorrow and t ...more
Bianda
Sep 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A spiritual journey of a hot-shot lawyer who owns a 'fabolous' life and a ferrari, and eventually turns himself to become a monk and live a truly enlightened life.
He shares his amazing experience and new wisdom that he has gained to his former colleague. These wisdoms are shared throughout the entire book.
Most of them are really inspirational to live a life full of purpose.
Mohammadreza Salari
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A really impressive book about self-helping and reaching your destiny, Robin S. Sharma had a look at Kaizen that refers to continuously improve and boost productivity. I appreciate this book and courage my friends to read it even for once.
Samer Hijazi
Jan 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Read this book if you want to add a new dimension to your life. It is the first spiritual book I read. Usually I didn’t go for such books for the reason that seeking more into religion would cover it. Now I realize that regardless of your religion, these books contain vital knowledge and information that you might encounter for the first time in your life. One topic which was innovative and influential is the inner spiritual serenity, self-knowledge and self-control. I always had a glimpse of it ...more
Neelam Babul
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book back in high school when a friend recommended it to me. At that time I did enjoy reading the book but not being a huge fan of self help books I just out it aside occasionally reading the summaries on the book or quotes related to the book to inspire and motivate myself. Since then I have widened my reading forte including self help, personal development, biography, memoirs and many others in order to not just view reading as a way of relaxing but also as a way of growing a ...more
Khyati Gautam
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book that has the right content to serve our appetite for wisdom.
Review 1 4 Apr 24, 2020 11:48AM
About the Book!!! 63 493 Jan 23, 2018 10:22PM
هل طبقت الطرق الموجودة في الكتاب ؟ 1 16 Jun 08, 2016 10:35PM

• Wings of Fire: An Autobiography
  • 2 States: The Story of My Marriage
  • Five Point Someone: What Not to Do at IIT
  • The 5 AM Club: Own Your Morning. Elevate Your Life
  • The Secret (The Secret, #1)
  • The Power of Your Subconscious Mind
  • The Alchemist
  • The 3 Mistakes of My Life
  • You Can Win: A Step by Step Tool for Top Achievers
  • The Immortals of Meluha (Shiva Trilogy, #1)
  • Rich Dad, Poor Dad
  • Think and Grow Rich
  • The Secret of the Nagas (Shiva Trilogy #2)
  • Who Will Cry When You Die?
  • Revolution 2020: Love, Corruption, Ambition
  • Stay Hungry Stay Foolish
  • The Oath of the Vayuputras (Shiva Trilogy, #3)
  • Half Girlfriend
Robin Sharma is one of the world’s premier thinkers on leadership, personal growth and life management. The bestselling author of
The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari,
Who Will Cry When You Die? and
The Saint, the Surfer, and the CEO and four other books on self-transformation.

Robin Sharma is in constant demand internationally as keynote speaker at the conferences of many of the most powerful companies