Start by marking “Your Pregnancy & Birth: Information You Can Trust from the Leading Experts in Women's Health Care” as Want to Read:

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  381 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
The collective wisdom of more than 47,000 trusted OB-GYN experts.Completely updated fourth edition follows clinical practice guidelines from the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.

Empowers expectant couples with essential information to make choices and discuss concerns with doctors.

Speaks to women in a warm, inviting tone, but also with the authority that
Paperback, Fourth Edition, 386 pages
Published April 26th 2005 by American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Your Pregnancy & Birth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Pregnancy & Birth

Sera
Aug 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Pregnant Women
This book is not as comprehensive as the "What to Expect" one, but it's a nice supplement to it. It's about 1/3 pregnancy, 1/3 birth and 1/3 newborn care, which makes it broader than What to Expect, but not as comprehensive. My doctor gave me this book when I learned that I was pregnant so I read it, too. I don't think that it's necessary to read both books. In fact, I would choose "What to Expect" if I had to, but I liked checking with two different sources when I had questions. It was nice to ...more
Thomasin
Jun 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
Your typical pregnancy/birth book written by an OB. Some good basic info, but is 'medical' vs. 'woman'-focused. If it's between What to Expect While You're Expecting and this book, I guess this is the better one, but I'm still not a fan.
Emily Dybdahl
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: motherhood
This is a very thorough and informative book covering progress through pregnancy, labor and delivery, the post-partum period, as well as a variety of topics covering issues that could happen to some people.
Heather
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
The good: general, useful details on breast feeding, diapering, and what to expect to happen in the hospital right after you give birth. These are things I haven't really found in many other books I've read. The bad: overly scientific and detailed information behind all of the tests (mandatory and optional) etc that reaches a point my eyes start to glaze over. That level of detail is not necessary. Tell me what the tests are, their purpose, any potential risk factors, and what it will be like fo ...more
Caroline Heeb Hicks
Definitely liked this pregnancy guide book better than the What to Expect When You're Expecting one. The style of the What to Expect book got really old in the end and I didn't want to finish it at all. This book I skimmed the month to month section since I'm already 9 months pregnant and read the rest of the applicable chapters in one day. Very easy read and written by healthcare professionals instead of some random lady. Had a lot more detail about things I was concerned about and spelled it o ...more
Jessica
Mar 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is very comprehensive, which I really liked. It covers information from pre-pregnancy, throughout pregnancy and postpartum, as well things to know about breastfeeding, caring for a newborn, certain illnesses and exercises to help you stay and get into shape. None of the sections are very long; everything is very basic, but I appreciated seeing information on all of those things, rather than just pregnancy. I would recommend this book to anyone expecting a child or hoping to expect a ch ...more
Audrey
Mar 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: birth
On some website, there was some perky link or article entitled "Ask your doctor why you might need a Cesaerean section!" I unfairly and bitchily think of that sentence whenever I think of this book, which is the official ACOG what-to-expect manual. I see this book as very standard-party-line birth. Midwives not mentioned, that I can recall. Also some of the information just felt like filler they had an intern paste in there. Do I need a page on reading FDA nutrition labels? No. Lent to me by Jea ...more
Liesl
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book for me to reference throughout my pregnancy. I like how it is divided into chapters by gestational month and addresses topics and concerns that come up within each time period. The diagrams featured throughout gave me a much better understanding of what was going on within my body and with the baby. I appreciated how so much material is devoted to post-pregnancy issues and possible complications. I could find an answer to pretty much anything I had a question about within t ...more
Cheryl
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the all-around best pregnancy book that I've read. It was recommended by my doctor, and it's written by doctors. It is informative, easy to understand, and contains helpful images/illustrations. There is a month-by-month section, as well as sections devoted to specific topics regarding pregnancy/childbirth. If I had read this one first, I probably wouldn't have h bothered with 'What to Expect' or 'The Mayo Clinic Guide.'
Michelle
Nov 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Not bad...My doctor's office gave this to me. The really emphasize that you should take cocaine, but I'm not sure the cocaine-users are reading this. Anyway, it had lots of good info and helpful tips from early pregnancy all through delivery and beyond. Enough to make you even more nervous, but information is power. As least theoretically.
Matthew
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the first of the baby books I've read (I have a big stack sitting on my desk), so I don't have much to compare it to. And it reads like a textbook. But it seemed pretty straightforward and informative. I learned a good amount and will refer back to the book during the rest of the pregnancy. For its genre, 3.5 stars.
Kendell
Nov 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Great guide on pregnancy and childbirth along with common issues that can arise during pregnancy. Half of the book is separated into months so you can easily read what is happening during those weeks of your pregnancy. The other half is on childbirth, complications that can happen and some information on having another baby.
Sep 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
I personally liked What to Expect While Your Expecting much more than Your Pregnancy & Birth. Pregnancy & Birth is kind of harsh and scared me a lot in the beginning. The book does have a side boxes with lots of useful info (like what to pack for your trip to the hospital, how to buy bottles and diapers, etc.) Worth the read, but it took me forever to finish.
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My OB gave me this book when I went in for my first prenatal appointment. It's written in an accessible format similar to a textbook. It covers almost anything that might come up in a pregnancy and is very informative, especially if you read the chapters ahead of your next month's appointment so you can chat with your doctor about anything you read.
Jessica
Jan 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Very concise over view of pregnancy, however I gave it three stars because it was way too concise. I wished they would have gone into a little more detail on medical definitions and the biology side of pregnancy. I like Your Week by Week Pregnancy better.
Sara
Mar 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Written at approximately a third-grade level, this book felt condescending. Or maybe it's because the information was so basic that I think I've read it all before in other books, I don't know. I ended up skimming most of it.
Bex
Dec 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
List of hereditary diseases broken down with genetic versus illness vs chromosomal was great, rest? Same stuff as every other book. So it was a broad, relatively vague overview of pregnancy and birth. Good to read, reinforced what I already knew.
Kathryn Cooper
Jul 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
My last doctor gave me this book when I was pregnant with Craig. I did not read it then, but now I read it a few months ago when we got pregnant and really enjoyed it. Great information you can trust!
Angela
Mar 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Just like What to Expect, I didn't read every page but it was helpful. I think the issue with pregnancy books is that no matter how they are written you are going to worry about something. Still informational.
Magda
Sep 04, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: own, parenting, unfinished
I don't think I finished this book, which was a "gift" from my OB/GYN office. It didn't answer questions about natural childbirth, and during and after my Bradley Method classes, I read it and scoffed at the blatant misinformation, the details of which I can't even remember, just the scoffing.
Jun 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has a lot of good information. I like the way it was set up, so I only had to read it one month at a time instead of weekly, though I did refer to it more often. I think this is a good book for first time pregos :)
Tersa
May 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am continually reading this book as questions come up. It is a great resource for any one who is pregnant or trying to become pregnant! It is a well-written book that doesn't make you paranoid or scared. I have enjoyed having a book I can trust and understand.
Ellen
Feb 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: expectant mothers
Scientific, helpful information when you're not in the mood for the touchy-feely, humor pregnancy books.
Theresa
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
It was very concise and factual. It avoided a lot of emotional and personal agendas which I appreciated.
Kelli
Jan 28, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a really great resource. It was thorough without coming off as overly preachy. There's also helpful bonus extras in the back. Growth charts and things of that nature.
Erica
Jun 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Received this book from my ob at initial appointment. It was helpful for us first time parents as it provided guidance on what to expect as mommy's body changes and the progressive growth of baby.
Kristina
My OBGYN gave me this. I'm currently on Chapter 3.
Becky
Apr 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Many facts you need to know about birthin a baby. Reading about it is lousy preparation, but its something.
Sep 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great book with good information about the whole process. More medical than the What to Expect When You’re Expecting book, so it’s nice to have a different perspective. Overall, very helpful.
Natalie
Oct 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
We're expecting Baby #3! And, I'm so glad I can finally say I'm "currently-reading" this book...for some review! :)

**Great, informative read!**
  • Great Expectations: Your All-in-One Resource for Pregnancy & Childbirth
  • Your Baby's First Year
  • The American Academy of Pediatrics New Mother's Guide to Breastfeeding
  • Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy
  • Making the "Terrible" Twos Terrific!
  • Eating for Pregnancy: The Essential Nutrition Guide and Cookbook for Today's Mothers-to-Be
  • Your Pregnancy Week by Week
  • Baby Bargains: Secrets to Saving 20% to 50% on baby furniture, gear, clothes, toys, maternity wear and much more! (Baby Bargains)
  • Infant Massage: A Handbook for Loving Parents
  • Pregnancy, Childbirth And The Newborn (2001) (Retired Edition)
  • The Pregnancy Book: A Month-By-Month Guide Tag: Everythg. You Need to Know from America'S..
  • 100,000 + Baby Names:The Most Complete Baby Name Book
  • Baby and Toddler On the Go Cookbook: Fresh, Homemade Foods To Take Out And About
  • The Pregnancy Journal: A Day-to-Day Guide to a Healthy and Happy Pregnancy

$2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
    $9.99 $1.99
    $8.49 $2.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Queens Consort: England's Medieval Queens from Eleanor of Aquitaine to Elizabeth of York
    $9.99 $1.99