Start by marking “Twelve Nights at Rotter House” as Want to Read:
Twelve Nights at Rotter House

Twelve Nights at Rotter House

Felix Allsey is a travel writer with a keen eye for the paranormal, and he's carved out a unique, if only slightly lucrative, niche for himself in nonfiction; he writes travelogues of the country's most haunted places, after haunting them himself.

When he convinces the owner of the infamous Rotterdam Mansion to let him stay on the premises for 13 nights, he believes he's
Published November 19th 2019 by Turner (first published October 29th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Twelve Nights at Rotter House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twelve Nights at Rotter House

Start your review of Twelve Nights at Rotter House
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-copy, horror
4.5 Stars
This might be the most fun I have ever had reading a haunted house story!
Video Review: https://youtu.be/DzfRfr_TksE

While I love reading horror, I often struggle when reading haunted house stories. I just find that the subgenre tends to be overdone and exhausted. So it is always a wonderful experience when I find a haunted house story that actually feels fresh.

So often, I find haunted house stories to be quite slow, but this one moved along at a good pace. I was pulled into the story
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Review originally published in SCREAM Mag Nov/Dec 2019
The premise of this one goes like this, Felix Allsey writes travelogues of notorious haunted houses. He finds one called, Rotterdam Mansion that’s a little under the radar--not much information on it. Felix decides he will spend thirteen nights in the haunted house with nothing but basic essentials and a trail camera to video everything.

It’s the perfect horror story set up! Two chapters in and I was pretty hooked. I’m always one to show up
Juli
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Felix Allsey is a travel writer. Well, he wants to be a travel writer....one that focuses on the macabre. But his previous works have been largely ignored. So, he decides to spend 13 nights totally immersed in a haunted house. No leaving the house. No contact with the outside world. Just the house. Nothing else. No electricity. No internet. No cell phone. No distractions. And it's not just any haunted house. It's Rotterdam Mansion. Or Rotter House, for short. In its 200 years, the house can ...more
Krystin Rachel
Book Blog | Bookstagram

"Where else was I fundamentally wrong about life and the universe and how everything worked? Is life a cycle of us realizing how stupid we are over and over again until we die?"

Opening Hook: Eric Andre screaming "let me in!"
Main Character: 100% that skeptic.
Plot Twisty-ness: A total three-way.

While I love horror as a genre in any form, I admit I don't read as much of it as I would like. And when I do read it, I find I'm disappointed that things just weren't as scary or
Jaya
Thoroughly managed to spook myself by reading this one especially on a stormy cold night :D
Would have given this one a solid 5 stars but the climax kind of ruined it for me. I am left with SO many questions.
Wanted to do a better reaction-review, this'l have to do for now
Cameron Chaney
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, horror, adult
Thank you to the author and publisher for sending me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. You can check out my full video review HERE.

I've been a fan of Ocker's for a few years now. His love of the spooky and macabre is infectious, and I find myself revisiting his nonfiction book A Season with the Witch on a regular basis, so when I heard he was working on his first horror novel, it quickly became one of my most anticipated books of the year. Overall, it did not disappoint.
Robin Bonne
3.5 Stars.
Irene
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
"The first floor had plenty of furniture, surely bought and left by countless past residents who dared call this behemoth home. When you flee in terror, you rarely stop for the ottomans."

This was not at all what I was expecting from what sounded like a "typical haunted house" novel.
Yes Felix moves into an abandoned house in order to write a book about his experiences, but from the start the alleged haunted history of this home is a bit vague which only serves to emphasize that it may not be the
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary | "Empathy" - Look it up.
It was pretty good, but it’s the type of book that a particular movie has done better. Maybe as a movie it would do what it did even better. As a book, though, it left me mildly interested and with a powerful thirst for good haunted house movies.

For a book where we spend entirely too much time inside one character’s head, Ocker does a good job of keeping things interesting without giving anything away at the get-go. It was really close to the end of the novel before I actually started to suspect
Mindi
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review to follow...
Lisa
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, horror
This book was simultaneously not at all, and exactly, what I expected. In a good way. I wanted a spooky story that found a way to expand beyond the common tropes, and this definitely delivered! The story doesn't take itself too seriously until it's too late and you're invested, and then it blows up in your face.
Solid, very enjoyable, will read again.
Kallie (pageandparlor) Lou Weisgarber
Felix Allsey is a cocky travel writer. He is a sceptic that writes about the haunted places that he visits. He convinces the owner of the Rotterdam Mansion, or Rotter House, to let him stay there with no contact with the outside world for 13 nights. He is convinced that this book will put him on the best seller’s list.When his best friend, Thomas, joins him for the 13 night project, things start going wrong. Felix has to face the fact that just maybe, he is haunted.

I really enjoyed this book. It
J.A. Sullivan
Felix has a feeling that his next nonfiction book, Thirteen Nights at Rotter House, is going to be the one to launch him into financial success. He invites his friend, Thomas, to join an investigation of this haunted house so the resulting book will be balanced between his own skepticism and Thomas’s beliefs in the paranormal. But that’s not the only motive. A year ago, their friendship was broken, and Felix is desperate to repair the rift.

Since the title of the actual book is Twelve Nights at
Amanda (readlingoctopus714) Turner
I think I'll start at the end with this one....the ending is going to take you by surprise. Just trust me, it will. All of the hints are there throughout the story, you just don't realize they are right in front of your face until you get to those last few chapters. Then, you will say to yourself "OMG! How did I not see that? How did I not put those pieces all together?" The ending is what makes this book!

So back to the beginning-- Felix Allsey is a travel writer who writes about haunted places
Kari
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook, 2019
Twelve Nights at Rotter House was a random library pick. IT also turn out to be one of the creepiest horror books that I have read in a long time. In the story, Felix is a not so successful travel writer who likes to investigate and write about creepy places in the world. He is not a believer, but is open to having his mind changed. He is hoping Rotter House will give him the comeback book that he needs to make money.

This would make a great horror movie. The twist ending was a genuine surprise.
Krista
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr Ocker did not disappoint. A tale with terrific chills. I really enjoyed it.
Virginia Greene
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hauntingly raw and beautifully written.
Tabatha Yee
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed all the pop culture horror references but the book was highly predictable. I would definitely read another book by this author.
Steven
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Reads half like a term paper on horror movies written for a movie studies class and half like a debate team’s practice session on the subject of the paranormal. A short story that’s been crammed full of so many pop culture references and self-referential meta-commentary that it can barely even move beneath its own swollen weight. Still, it’s not completely lacking in fun. I wouldn’t turn my nose up at future works of fiction by this author if he can manage to suppress his urge to spend page ...more
Joseph Sullivan
Sep 07, 2019 rated it liked it
A Season With the Witch, Poe-Land, and the Grimpendiums are practically everything I'm looking for when I read nonfiction, so I was excited to hear that J.W. Ocker was releasing a haunted house novel. I'm not going to start my next thought with a 'however' or an 'unfortunately' because I did enjoy the book and would recommend it to anyone who is a fan of haunted house books.

My criticism is that there are two separate novels here, and it feels like the editor didn't do their due diligence in
Justine
Dec 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Troy Menke
Took me a while to complete this, not because of the book itself, but due to life and family health issues. When devoting time dealing with a sick and ailing parent, sometimes you need an escape, and for me "Twelve Nights at Rotter House" was that escape, when I had the time.

So just now having completed the book I'm not sure how I feel about it. (Minor General Spoilers) I guess I was expecting something a little more moody, dark and scary, and perhaps I've read too many other horror novels that
Bob Lewis
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I mostly enjoyed this book. I was previously unfamiliar with the author's work when I bought a copy for a book club, and I certainly liked it enough that I'll seek out his other work.

In particular, the characters are quite familiar to me. As a skeptical lover of ghost stories myself, I quite enjoyed the book's handling of the debate between skeptics and believers in the paranormal, colored by obsession with the horror genre and the generally creepy. I felt right at home. The characters also lent
Anita
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been in a real horror book mood lately, so when I found this book at BookExpo while I was there for work, I was delighted to take a copy for review. In fact, it was one of only 2 books I grabbed there this year, so suffice it to say, it stuck out to me.

That's also why I'm writing a review, which I haven't done much lately--I thought there was something special to this book.

Twelve Nights at Rotter House is a horror book for people who appreciate horror tropes, especially horror movies, but
Jay Wright
Dec 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
Nothing infuriates me more than when a good story is told poorly.

There are several really fantastic twists in this book: two regarding the beef between Felix and Thomas, and one huge one that changes the way you read the story. The problem is that Ocker does very little to lay the groundwork for them. The reader is told repeatedly over the course of the novel that something happened that affected Felix and Thomas's friendship, but the reader isn't given any clues to set up what it might be. Not
Elena Morales
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Spoiler free review.

J. W. Ocker provides an excellent modern haunted house story that stayed as far from traditional troupes as much as he possibly could. Ocker’s way with words is like magic. He encapsulates the feeling and setting of a haunted house so vividly, I could smell the mothballs as I turned the pages.

My complaints are small, but large enough that I have given the book 4/5 stars (I’m not here to destroy the book or the author, but to provide my honest opinion on it). Some the
Andrew “The Weirdling” Glos
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, 2020
It is hard to be sure what makes a good haunted house novel. One would think that by now I have read enough of them to know. Sadly, that is not yet the case. I am still working on it. But whatever the formula is, this book has it.

Somewhere between the relatable protagonist, the intriguing story, the twist ending, etc. this book delivered. Or, at least it did for me.

In the case of this book, I think most of what really worked for me was the style of writing and the protagonist. To be honest,
Jess
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this book thanks to Turner publishing company in exchange for an honest review and all these opinions are of my own. This book is released at the perfect time, October 29, 2019!!!

The main character, Felix Allsey, is a freelance writer who's a skeptic of paranormal happenings. He stays at an infamous haunted house "Rotter House" to write a book and maybe get that "first experience." It has everything you want in a ghost story and more, but what made it unique was coming from the other
Angel Hench
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: write-a-review
Felix Allsey doesn’t believe in ghosts, but he’s a travel writer whose books about spooky travel destinations don’t sell very well and he NEEDS this next book to be his big break. Enter his mission to survive 13 nights in the haunted Rotterdam Mansion.

I quite enjoy meta fiction and the characters in this book spend a LOT of time referencing the fact that they are going to be in a book about their “haunted house” experience. Felix has to work really hard in Rotter House to keep his disbelief in
Tracy
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
A travel writer who specializes in paranormal places gets one last chance at success by writing a book about the infamous Rotterdam Mansion, and brings his friend and fellow horror buff along for the ride.

I'm not the best at guessing twists, but I guessed a big part of this one based on the book's description alone. I enjoyed the camaraderie between the two characters and the horror film references. It is very self-aware, and I imagine it would only appeal to big fans of the horror genre. There

• Violet
  • The Dark Game
  • The Toll
  • Remains
  • The Reddening
  • How to Survive a Horror Movie (How to Survive)
  • Gwendy's Magic Feather
  • Sour Candy
“Because you trust your house, right? It's your house. It protects you from the world and, even more important, all the people out there. It sees you naked every day. It knows your sins. It's the only place where you are your true self. So when that gets corrupted, when that becomes haunted, that's terrifying.” 0 likes
“Where else was I wrong? It was the same question I had asked myself when I'd finally sloughed off Christianity. Where else was I fundamentally wrong about life and the universe and how everything worked? Is life a cycle of us realizing how stupid we are over and over again until we die.” 0 likes