Start by marking “King's Shadow: A Novel of King Herod's Court (The Silent Years, #4)” as Want to Read:
King's Shadow: A Novel of King Herod's Court (The Silent Years, #4)

King's Shadow: A Novel of King Herod's Court

(The Silent Years #4)

Two women occupy a place in Herod's court. The first, Salome, is the king's only sister, a resentful woman who has been told she is from an inferior race, a people God will never accept or approve.

The second woman, Zara, is a lowly handmaid who serves Salome, but where Salome spies conspiracies and treachery, Zara sees hurting people in need of understanding a
Published August 6th 2019 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about King's Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King's Shadow

Jypsy
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
King' s Shadow tells a bit of history I knew nothing about. It was obviously well researched and is well written. I did get confused at times with the characters and situations, but I think it's because I have no reference point. I enjoyed this story and learned a lot about Herod's Court and the people who occupied it. Really fascinating historical fiction. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
Megan
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, historical
“King's Shadow" by Angela Hunt is the fourth book in the “Silent Years” series, but can certainly be read as a standalone. I was intrigued by the concept of this novel. It deals with a time period in history that is not often written about and focuses primarily on lesser known characters (especially in the arena of Christian and Biblical fiction).

This novel takes place during King Herod’s reign (the king who ordered the murder of all of the male babies in Bethlehem in the Christmas story). It i
Erin Laramore
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars for this biblical historical fiction novel. This is the last book in the "silent years" series, which details the 400 years between the end of the Old Testament and the beginning of the New Testament. While this one can be read as a stand-alone and the story enjoyed, I think it's best to read the other books first as some of the events referred to in this novel are fleshed out in the previous novels. If I opt to re-read this one, I will read the others in advance in close succession. A ...more
Christian Fiction Addiction
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Angela Hunt's latest Biblical tale is a stunning portrayal of King Herod's court and the madness that prevailed. Her research shines through every scene, transporting readers back in time with her vivid rendering of Herod and his sister Salome and the land of Israel just before the time of when Jesus was born. The story is very well written, and is certain to entertain those readers who typically gravitate towards tales of Biblical fiction while appealing to those who may normally not pick up a ...more
V. Palmer
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it

Angela Hunt's Biblical Fiction stories never cease to fascinate me, and King's Shadow is no different! What a spellbinding fictionalization of King Herod's court! Political drama and historical fact are coupled with fictional characters and realistic perceptions of historical figures in King's Shadow. The result is a story that feels fresh while also staying true to history!

In an author interview that is included in the book, the author explains that she has learned no one is completely good or
Jeanie
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
After spending 15 years in his palace, I had concluded his determination was fueled not by love but by fear. Yet, I could also understand fear. I had known loss and terror.

I love this series of books by Angela Hunt as she introduced the quiet years in Jewish history. 400 years had passed between the Old Testament and the New. However, God was working in these years before Jesus was born. His people were anticipating the Messiah and they were waiting. I am always intrigued on Hunt's research for
Kathryn
Oct 05, 2019 marked it as to-read
I have never written a review with an undecided rating, but now I have. To be completely fair, I never actually finished this book, but I do intend to at some point. However, this review must be written now, so I’ll let you know if my thoughts change when I finish the book.
My very first impression was that it was slow and had a lot of political talk, which is one reason I’ve not yet finished it. I understand that author must set up the scene, especially when it involves politically incline
Rebecca
Aug 16, 2019 rated it liked it

"Moses called him friend. David called him Lord. What do you call Him?"

Two of the women living in Herod's palace are subject to his every whim ; his sister Salome and by association her Jewish handmaiden, Zara; who entered into her palatial employ at the tender age of nine years old. While Herod's reign is fraught with paranoia and family betrayals, Salome is intensely loyal to her brother; going to great lengths to ensure that those around him remain devoted to his soverei
Lydia Howe
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
WHY I CHOOSE THIS BOOK

In July of 2017, I received the first book in The Silent Years series for review. It’s titled Egypt’s Sister and totally intrigued me. I’d never read a book that took place during the Silent Years before, and I right away set about researching that time period.

Over the last couple of years, I bought books 2 (Judah’s Wife which I gave three stars) and 3 (Jerusalem’s Queen which also got three stars from me) when they were released. The crazy thing I w
Patti Whitson Stephenson
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This author has a unique way of taking historical facts that I might have overlooked and turning them into the intriguing backgrounds of her novels.. As I began reading the first chapter, I was not quite sure I was interested enough to finish the book. But I kept reading, and I’m glad I did. Angela Hunt brought that time period of Biblical history alive for me. I was caught up in the palace intrigue, but also understood much more clearly the plight of the Jews under Herod’s reign.

Vie
Caroline Grace
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This one was different! It's set during the Silent Years, between the Old and New Testaments. The book ends right after the birth of Christ, with Herod's slaughter of the baby boys in Bethlehem and his subsequent death.

King's Shadow is not your typical novel. It's more of a creative, continuous telling of true events, through the eyes of two different main characters. I kept expecting an obvious climax, but even though there were climatic moments, it didn't have a typical story arc, probably be
Lori
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This author has pulled off another great read!!
A must for Biblical fiction readers!! I'm sad that it ended.
This book will leave readers thinking about it and what it entailes long after you've finished it.
I love Angleas style of writing. I love how she puts a lot of thought and research into her novels to make them what they are!!
I enjoyed that it was told in 1st person by Salome and Zara by flipping back and forth between the two women.
I learned a lot in this novel about how
Suzie Waltner
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

It’s difficult to put into perspective the 400-year time span between the old and new testaments, but in King’s Shadow, Angela Hunt brings some of that time to life. Readers are given a glimpse into King Herod’s reign (leading up Jesus’s birth and his demand that every boy under the age of two be eliminated in order to eradicate the threat to his throne).

Hunt’s research is impeccable and evident throughout the book as historical and Biblical characters cross the
Ceci
Liked

I really enjoyed the feeling of realism I got from this book. Hunt didn't sugarcoat the horrors or the good that Herod committed, and I enjoyed that (more on this part later). You could also tell that she researched a good deal for this book, and it really came off. You could vividly imagine the court intrigue and the simple life outside the palace. Something that I really admire is authenticity in books because it is something I really strive to insert to my own books.

Somethin
Robin Hatcher
King's Shadow is a fitting end to the Silent Years series, bringing readers to the time of the Messiah's birth and flight to Egypt. As always with Angela Hunt, the story is well-researched, and seeing Herod through the eyes of a loyal sister gave it a unique perspective.
Yakira Goldsberry
It took me a little bit to really get into the story, but once I did, I was hooked. King’s Shadow follows the of Salome, King Herod’s sister, and Zara, a fictional handmaid. In other stories about Salome, she is usually portrayed as the villian, while Mariamne, King Herod’s wife, is portrayed as the heroine. But in this book, the roles were switched. And it’s a great reminder that perspective is everything.
Hunt breathes life into Salome and Herod, and many other historical figures, while s
Jessica Higgins
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
As the silent years come to a close, the story of Herod the Great is put on display.

Salome is sister to Herod the Great. Her family is from Idumean descent, who the Jews believe are inferior. Herod was placed in power by the Roman Republic as a puppet king to rule over the lands. Salome is determined to protect and defend her brother with her life as he once came to her rescue. Unfortunately, sometimes his choices make that difficult to do. His decision to marry Mariamne, daughter of
Rachel
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is the final book in The Silent Years series. I have read a two of the previous books. You do not need to read them, but some characters do appear and/or are mentioned in this book.

There are two main characters in this book Salome, the younger sister of King Herod and Zara, a young Jewish handmaiden to Salome.

Salome cares deeply for her brother and she would do anything for him. When Hero
Jennia
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What if Salome wasn’t the complete villain she’s usually portrayed as? Angela Hunt creates a sweeping, nuanced story following well known historical events, giving us a new yet credible version of the famous ancient Roman royal.
Reminiscent of Downton Abbey, the story alternates between Salome, the notorious King Herod’s only sister, and her handmaiden, Zara, a poor Jewish girl living with her disabled mother and aunt. Their varying viewpoints and drastically different upbringings allowed the st
Kathy DiDomizio
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am new to Angela Hunt’s books, and even though I was starting with the final book in her “Silent Years” series, I did not find it necessary to have read the others first. That being said, I certainly look forward to reading the first three books in this series soon!
King’s Shadow is set in the time period between the Old and New Testaments when King Herod was on the throne. The story alternates between the perspectives of King Herod’s younger and only sister, Salome, and her handmaiden, a
Becky
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Watch your Back!

PLEASE READ THIS REVIEW ON MY BLOG: http://bookreadingtic.com/2019/08/17/... THANK YOU!

Salome was the only sister of King Herod, and lived with him in his Jerusalem palace. Despite Herod ruling with an iron fist, Salome was his biggest fan. She constantly rationalized his bad behavior saying it was the result of his people not appreciating, and loving their king. Zara, who lost both parents because of their part in an uprising against Herod, becomes Salome’s handmaid—at the tender age of nine!

Although Hero/>PLEASE
Danielle
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Angela Hunt's latest novel, King's Shadow, is based on the years of King Herod's reign before the calendar turns to the Common Era. It follows two women, one fictional, one historical, as they seek to survive amid treachery, rumors, and conspiracy.

King Herod's sister Salome loves her brother and lives to protect him from every danger. She may be a schemer, but her plans seek to help Herod maintain his throne against those who would undo him.

Zara is Salome's handmaiden. A
Connie Saunders
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an account of two women in Herod's court and even though their stories are written in first-person, it was easy for me to follow because the author has labeled each chapter with the name of the person speaking. Salome is the sister of King Herod and she is very loyal to her brother; Zara is a young Jewish girl who is chosen to be Salome's handmaid at age nine and she remains in this position for many years. It is during these years that we see the intrigue that occurred during this king' ...more
Doreen
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
There were many things I liked and a couple things I didn’t like about this book. This is not my favorite genre so I’m sure that plays into my thoughts as well.

What I liked: Especially at the beginning of the story, the author paints Herod as a normal man who cares for his family. He usually comes off as a buffoon or an evil monster in books or movies. Of course, he changed a lot during the course of his life but I felt it gave a more balanced picture of him as a person, especially i
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
King's Shadow by Angela Hunt is the final book in the Silent Years series. It was not only entertaining, but it was a fascinating look at Herod the Great and his descent into madness.

The author focuses on two main characters, Salome (Herod's sister) and Zara, Salome's handmaid. Both are telling the story from their perspectives, giving insight into the dangerous inner workings of a royal court, run by a man who had spies everywhere. Salome recounts how besotted Herod was with his new
Kristi
I didn't realize when I agreed to review this book that it was the final book in the series. I don't think I missed out on too much though as this story seemed to stand on its own. While I did find it an interesting read I did have a couple of issues with it.

My first issue was the names of the characters. So many were so similar to each other that I had a difficult time keeping the characters straight in my mind while reading. I found myself rereading paragraphs just to try to figure
Julie D.
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story cover the 400 years of silence between the Old and New Testament. It focuses on King Herod and his family, especially his sister Salome.

Salome loves her brother, and I believe his power, so much, she just can't see any fault in him despite the fact that he does some really evil things and is mentally growing more mad. She hides these things in her brother and protects him no matter what.

Zara serves Salome and she's my favorite character in the book. I enjoyed s
LuAnn
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The King's Shadow is Book 4 of The Silent Years Series. This is a series that doesn't have to be read in a particular order. The silent years refers to the period of time between the end of the Old Testament and the beginning of the New Testament when God did not speak to the Jewish people.

There are two main characters in this story. One is Salome, the sister of King Herod. The second is Zara, Salome's handmaid. Salome is a selfish and resentful woman. Zara is a child at the beginnin
Becca-Rae Weidel
King's Shadow takes the reader on a journey with an interesting perspective on the life and rule of King Herod through the eyes of his sister Salome and her handmaid Zara.The level of research that went into this story was highly evident. While creative license was taken to fill in the holes so that a full-length novel could be written, it was easily seen that the author took great effort to be respective of Biblical history.

One thing that stuck out to me in this novel was the emphas
Michelle
King’s Shadow is a Christian historical romance novel by author Angela Hunt. It is a fictional account of King Herod’s court, book four of The Silent Years series.

All I could say was ‘Wow’ after I finished reading this novel. I learned so much about King Herod at a time when the Jews were looking for a Messiah to rescue them. I was pulled into this breath-taking novel from the very beginning, and trying to pace myself I finished the novel in four days.

Each chapter focused
« previous 1 3 next »
Christy-Award winner Angela Hunt writes for readers who have learned to expect the unexpected in novels from this versatile author. With over three million copies of her books sold worldwide, she is the best-selling author of more than 100 works ranging from picture books (The Tale of Three Trees) to novels.

Now that her two children have reached their thirties, Angie and her husband li

The Silent Years (4 books)
  • Egypt's Sister: A Novel of Cleopatra (The Silent Years, #1)
  • Judah's Wife: A Novel of the Maccabees (The Silent Years #2)
  • Jerusalem's Queen: A Novel of Salome Alexandra (The Silent Years, #3)