Start by marking “Escaping Neverland” as Want to Read:
Escaping Neverland

Escaping Neverland

Peter Pan is growing up. Nearing adulthood, he faces a choice: join the pirates of Neverland or face their wrath--or leave Neverland for good. Reluctant to abandon the Lost Boys, Peter searches for someone who can care for them and withstand the dangers of Neverland. The tough and witty Jane seems like the perfect replacement until he realizes that leaving her is almost as ...more
Published June 11th 2019 by Sweetwater Books

To ask other readers questions about Escaping Neverland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Escaping Neverland

Start your review of Escaping Neverland
Melissa Lemon
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Author's note:
This book was a lot of fun to write. I thought about how if Peter Pan is the boy who lives forever, then that means he's still alive. I began asking questions like: Where is he now? How old is he? Does he regret his choice to live in Neverland? Where is Neverland? Does he want to grow up? If so, why? Asking these and other questions led me to create a story where Peter Pan is almost grown and aching to return to Earth to live out the remainder of his life. My favorite thing to crea
Lisa Swinton
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fairy-tale
I've read a few of Ms. Lemon's books and they are always a joy to read. Escaping Neverland is no exception.

This is Peter Pan as it's never been told. In this verson, Peter is growing up and must either leave Neverland for good or turn pirate. He seeks a replacement and believes he finds one in Jane. Except there's a romantic thread. You can guess who's involved, and it's not Captain Hook!

Lots of emotion, clear writing, beautiful world building, and pure imagination fuel this twisted retelling
Sarah Lapalme
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge fan of twists on fairy tales, so when a friend suggested this author to me, I was thrilled to check her out. I chose Escaping Neverland because I loved Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie and had never read a twist on his story. I'm super glad I chose this story because it was fantastic! I love how much emotion and depth Peter was given. His character was so complex. The Lost Boys were adorable and Jane was a great female character as well! I really loved this interpretation of Neverland and the ...more
Sydney
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Escaping Neverland by Melissa Lemon is an entertaining and exciting story that fans of Peter Pan will absolutely adore. Lemon’s story comes to life with the turn of every page. Her characters are relatable, fun, and engaging. This Peter Pan is similar to the original, but has a few twists of its own. The lost boys, as well as Peter Pan and Jane are wonderful characters that keep the story thrilling and engaging. A light, quick, exciting read, fairytale lovers will want to pick up this charming a ...more
Rose
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways, alphabet
Thank you to Melissa Lemon! I won this book through Goodreads and Melissa Lemon even autographed it.

Escaping Neverland was short but sweet. Another side to Peter Pan and a little more insight to Neverland. The struggle to grow up is real.
Krystal Anderson
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a daunting prospect, writing a character as well-known and praised as Peter Pan! It would be difficult at best. There are some things I think the author did fabulously. The descriptions and explanations of Neverland were believable and I was able to picture them easily in my mind. I loved the fairies and their various colors, the mermaids, and the Lost Boys. I really loved Jane and thought her character was written well. She was consistent, fun, and likable.
Peter, however, was sometimes di
Jane
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Melissa Lemon continues the story of Peter Pan as written by J. M. Barrie. I guess I have never read Peter Pan or seen the movie - or I have forgotten the plot. It took me a while to not feel lost, like I was missing some necessary information. It is the 21st Century and Peter has been in Neverland for a century - he is feeling the pull to return to Earth permanently. He goes to Earth searching for a mother-figure to replace him with the boys. Turns out a romance develops instead. As Peter intro ...more
Carla
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I always wished for Peter Pan to get to the point where he was ready to grow up. I never pictured it being so difficult for him to get away, but it makes sense that Neverland & the lost boys were his life for so long, that it would not only be hard to leave, but hard for him to imagine the lost boys being okay without him. So many things I loved about how the author described Neverland & the fairies. Trying to decide if Neverland is a much more dangerous place than I thought, or whether Peter Pa ...more
Stacey
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-books
Oh it is soooo hard to write this without giving spoilers! For those who don’t like the idea of the story of Peter Pan ever changing, then perhaps this story is not for you. For anyone else - I think you’ll love it! My hat’s off to the author - I think she did a brilliant job of creating an entirely new story all her own & yet still incorporating the elements of the Peter Pan story that we all know & love.
There have been plenty of Peter Pan stories/movies etc. That explore what happens later on
Sarah Boucher
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Escaping Neverland transports readers to a land both familiar and entirely new, peopled with magical creatures and colorful characters who fly off the page. Alongside Peter and Jane, readers experience the struggles of loving, losing, and finding the courage to embrace adulthood. Melissa Lemon’s talent for creating magical worlds and memorable characters is showcased beautifully in Escaping Neverland.
Rachael
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another brilliant "twisted" fairy tale from Melissa Lemon. I loved it! Lemon has a gift for re-imagining classic stories and making the reader enjoy them from an entirely different viewpoint. I enjoyed her characters and the Neverland that she created. This book is young adult fiction but it is enjoyable for readers of all different ages and skill levels. I especially appreciated the ending. It left me with just enough to allow me to imagine more.
Kendene
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. This is a sweet coming of age story that I never expected. Will Peter Pan really grow up? Ms. Lemon creates a beautiful world full of beauty, excitement, danger, terror, fun, and romance. Her words paint an imaginative landscape. I only wish I could get a real wiff of those smelly pirates, though I would not like the smell to linger.
Janice
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was cleverly written and had a great story line. I love Melissa's imagination. I thought is was a real page turner and I read it in about a day. I had never had a chance to read one of Melissa's books before, and I look forward to future writings. Thanks for the chance to preview this great book!
Shauna
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Peter Pan is one of my classic favorite characters. I must have watched the Disney movie a bajillion times, and several books about Peter Pan and Neverland. This story is like the one you wanted to happen and that's about all I can say. Fun and adventure, with plenty of surprises that keep you guessing to the end.
James
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a fun twist to a classic fairytale. The familiarity of Neverland will fulfill your sentimental need, while the new adventure will spawn your imagination and keep you eager to read more. The author's beautiful descriptives will sweep you out of this world. A good read for sure!
Syd
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
She did it again!!!! This book is full of adventure, love and endless fairytale. She brought a whole new adventure to peter pan. I love peter pan retellings and she has one of the best I have ever read!!! I loved it so much I will be reading 6 or 7 more times!
Megan Trempe
Aug 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Reminded me of disneys neverland 2. Loved the characters names were the same...loved the neverland description. But the plot fell flat for me...there was no epic fight scene... blah
Krista
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
By far my favorite of Melissa's books. I was totally enchanted and finished it in a day!
Sadie
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really liked the twist Melissa Lemon did on the story Peter Pan. I also never thought that..............mermaids could sound so ugly.
Scott T.E.
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a lot of fun. My wife and I read it together. I especially liked the lore about the fairies.
Michelle
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Short and interesting take on Peter Pans story. I feel like more detail would have been helpful, but the story was understandable without it.
Londi
Apr 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it. There were a few plot points that confused me, especially since it was supposed to be a sequel to the actual Peter Pan book, but overall I really enjoyed it.
Namrata
CAN'T WAIT TO READ THIS! Peter Pan is one of my favorites!
LuckyCharmont
May 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Bought this book on a whim for $2. And it was cute, but it just didn't hold my attention all that much. The intro was a bit quick and it left me wondering at everyone's motives. That being said, it's not a bad book or story. I'd recommend for intermediate or middle school children. It felt more like a short story than a novel.
Jesse Booth
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I enjoyed reading this tale of Peter Pan. I've read most of Melissa Lemon's books, and this one competes with her best stuff. If you are a fan of Peter Pan tales in general, you'll like this. It's fast-paced and has a mix of adventure that will keep you guessing until the very end. I love the idea of Peter Pan trying to deal with moving on with his life.
Isabelle
Maria
Nov 05, 2018
Amber
Jun 20, 2019

• The Next Door Boys (Next Door Boys, #1)
  • Honeymoon Heist
  • The Matchmaker's Match
  • Finding Beauty in the Beast
  • Lady Helen Finds Her Song
  • The Whispered Dance of Bees
  • Daughter of Helaman (Stripling Warrior, #1)
  • Simply Anna (Regency Romance)
  • Right Next to Me
  • The Adventurous One (Billionaire Bride Pact)
  • The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History
Melissa has been writing stories since she could hold a pencil in her hand and she has a deformed, calloused finger to prove it. She began twisting fairy tales in the fifth grade when she wrote a story about George of the Jungle making his way to Neverland. Melissa enjoys writing, making music, reading, baking and running. She lives with her husband, three daughters and cat named Matilda.