Start by marking “Stormy: A Story About Finding a Forever Home” as Want to Read:
Stormy: A Story About Finding a Forever Home

Stormy: A Story About Finding a Forever Home

From the creator of the New York Times best-illustrated children's book award winner The Only Child, comes a gorgeous and moving wordless picture book that's perfect for dog lovers.

In this heartwarming, wordless picture book that's perfect for dog lovers, a woman visits a park and discovers a pup hiding under a bench--scruffy, scared, and alone. With gentle coaxing, the woman tries
Published September 17th 2019 by Schwartz & Wade

To ask other readers questions about Stormy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stormy

Mischenko
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stormy is a must-read for any dog lover. We picked this up because we read the author's other book The Only Child which quickly became one of our favorites.

Stormy is a wordless picture book with stunning illustrations. You can expect the same colorful, eye-catching artwork from the cover throughout the entire book. The story is about a little dog who appears to be lost and homeless. He's very fearful and unsure of human contact. A girl who runs into him at a park takes interest and tries to coax him with a ball, but to
Abigail
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Wordless Picture-Books / Readers Looking for Children's Stories About Homeless Animals
Having absolutely loved Chinese illustrator Guojing's picture-book debut - that marvelously magical wordless story, The Only Child - I picked up this second venture into the form with a great deal of anticipation. It didn't hurt that the cover image was so adorable, or that the sub-title hinted at a poignant tale of a homeless animal finding a home (always a sure thing, when it comes to tugging at my heartstrings). Happily, my anticipation was not in vain, and I found Stormy: A Story About Finding ...more
La Coccinelle
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Stormy should warm even the coldest heart. Dog lovers are going to be hit particularly hard by this one, though. It's hard not to love this sweet story about a lonely little dog and a girl who has a lot of love to give.

Like The Only Child (which I read earlier this year), Stormy is told entirely without words. Guojing's illustrations are such that no words are necessary. The story unfolds at a natural pace, and the illustrated panels show the hesitant development of a relationship. The little dog is skittish and won't
Danielle
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Oh my heart, this book! The cover doesn't fully hint at the depth and drama of the story within this wonderful, moving, wordless PB.
Kerry
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't think it's a spoiler to say that there are no words in this book. But, it doesn't need them. I cried happy tears and went home to hug my dogs. Beautiful.
Jillian Heise
This wordless book has my whole heart.
Andréa
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Expect to cry.
Amanda Zirn Hudson
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If this book doesn't melt your heart, you are Voldemort.
Niyati
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enchanting, heartwarming and one of the most beautifully illustrated books I've ever read. The story is fairly simple, but the illustrations elevate it another level altogether!
Tasha
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The author of the award-winning The Only Child returns with another lovely picture book. In this wordless picture book done in graphic-novel format, a woman discovers a puppy sleeping under a bench at the top of a hill. When she tries to approach the dog, he runs away, returning to hide under the bench after she leaves. On her next visit, the woman brings a ball for the dog, then pretends to ignore him. He slowly moves out from behind the nearby tree and sniffs at the ball, picking it up but not ...more
Jana
I absolutely loved this book, but be sure to have a box of tissues handy! This wordless picture book uses gorgeous artwork and the story of a homeless dog and a woman with a kind heart to yank on heart strings. Anyone that's ever taken in a stray pet, will definitely be able to relate to this book. It can also start a conversation about helping our neighbors and those in need.
Bobbi
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh, how I loved this wordless picture book, which is a perfect example of a picture being worth a thousand words! The illustrations are gorgeous - the little dog is absolutely adorable - and the images easily convey a totally understandable, emotional story. This will appeal not only to children, but to anyone who loves animals, and especially anyone who has adopted a stray.
Jan Polep
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We have given a Forever Home to 5 dogs so this wordless book tugged at my heart. To tell you more would be to ruin it but it was a perfect read on a rainy day for a little guy with a flashlight in a pretend tent in the livingroom.
Small Review
Beautiful illustrations and story. Surprisingly emotional.
Elizabeth Majka
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Legit a beautiful tearjerker. I love this book!
Charlos
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Get your tissues ready.
Carolyn Stover
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Loved the illustrations in this wordless picture book. Some were heartbreaking and some were uplifting. Trust is earned and love and belonging can be forever. ❤ ...more
Rebecca
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I love a good picture book and one that can evoke emotion without words is beyond best. Well drawn, appropriately tugs are the heart strings, and makes me love my dog even more.
Charles Irwin
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This wordless picture book is based around trust and how it doesn't always come easily, but "with kindness and determination, forever love can grow". A woman finds a dog hiding under a bench, but the dog always runs away, finally a storm brings them together. The colours and what you would expect from Guojing, superb. Some of the images are so mesmerising and happy, while others are heart breaking. There is such an emotional range.

Similarly, it teaches children important life lessons if taught
Margie
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Late Thursday night in the eastern daylight time zone and in the early hours of Friday morning, you could see a movement swell. It traveled across our planet from place to place as the day September 20, 2019 dawned. This outpouring of support for the Global Climate Strike clearly demonstrates the power of a single soul to rally people around a worldwide crisis.

While the efforts of this sixteen-year-old Swedish girl, Greta Thunberg, have rightfully drawn international attention,
Melanie
A gorgeous wordless picture book that tells the story of a stray dog that lives in a park, under a bench. A woman comes to sit on the bench and the dog slinks away from the stranger. Eventually the woman brings a ball and shows the dog how to fetch. One evening the little dog follows her home without her knowledge. The dog sits outside her apartment on the busy sidewalk. A fierce storm blows through and forces the little dog to drop the ball and seek shelter in a discarded box. The woman goes ou ...more
Sandy Brehl
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This wordless book feels like a perfect blend of visual storytelling, emotional depth, balanced relationships, and perfect pacing. The subtle tones and edges, control of panel sizes and locations, the inevitability and momentum of a high-stakes outcome made me page through quickly-the first time. The I immediately returned to the start, diving into each panel, each progression, each encouragement and each worry. This is a wordless book that eloquently uses the language of love and loss and resto ...more
Bibi
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The cover of the book screams pick me up. What an absolutely tender story about the friendship which developed between a kind woman and her "rescue dog". As the book's write-up states: Trust does not always come easily, but over time, and with kindness and determination, a forever love can grow. A book for every dog lover and all other humans. A poignant story told without words - beautifully illustrated and sure to tug at the heartstrings.
Margaret
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a stunningly beautiful wordless picture book about a woman who returns repeatedly to a park to try and befriend a homeless dog. One night, after she returns home for the night, there is a terrible thunder storm! She goes back to the park in the storm to try to find the dog! She can't find him, so she sadly returns home, where she finds him curled up in a cardboard box behind a garbage can. The very last picture in the book is the very best of all!
There’s no need for words to feel all the emotions between “Stormy” and his new owner. That “playing ball” exchange over several spreads made me cry. If you don’t cry during the suspenseful page-turning, go back and read the author’s dedication. This is a wordless picture book you should add to your collection.
Ann
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Heartwarming picture book that is wordless about a stray dog finding his forever home. The woman who befriends him rushes out into a storm looking for him only to find that he has made his way to her apartment in the city. Melts your heart.
Jason
Good grief, this book was killing me all the way through! It's a kids' book, so I knew it wasn't going to have a sad ending, but it's a testament to Guojing's skill that I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Incredible.
Engel Dreizehn
ARC Copy...part picture book and part graphic novel...warm and beautiful illustrations. Sure to tug the hearts of animal lovers, not just dog lovers as a puppy tries to find a home with the on set of a storm.
Kymberly
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Such emotion conveyed without words. Gorgeous illustrations.
Gail
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely beautiful wordless picture book about a little lost dog that finds a forever home. ❤ ...more
Guojing (Jing Guo) is an illustrator and concept artist. Previously she worked in the game and animation industry. She is now a professional illustrator. Her wordless picture book, ‘The Only Child’, a New York Times Best Illustrated Children’s Book of 2015, and a Publishers Weekly Book of 2015, is published by Schwartz and Wade (Random House, Dec, 2015). The story is based on her own experiences a ...more