Start by marking “100 Great Breads” as Want to Read:
100 Great Breads

100 Great Breads

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  218 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Paul Hollywood conveys his own love of bread-making and its therapeutic powers in this collection of recipes. From basic to Mediterranean, traditional and ancient bread, the recipes throw a fresh light on this seemingly simple food with a multitude of flavours, and a twist on the older ones.
Paperback
Published March 11th 2004 by Cassell Illustrated (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about 100 Great Breads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Great Breads

Baker333
Jan 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
I had to sign up to this site just to have a rant about how bad this book really is. I bake bread sometimes up to 4 times a week, kneading and shaping by hand mostly and was given this book as a Christmas present.

As suggested at the book's beginning, I tried making the first recipe - the Wheatsheaf Loaf - which states if you can make it, you can make any of the recipes that follow.

Well, I made it, it looked quite good after a bit of work, but it tasted absolutely awful!

The reason was - and I
Andree Sanborn
Before buying this book, I read all the poor reviews about salt and yeast measurements for the book, and I tried one recipe (Cob loaf) from the Internet without a problem. You have to become accustomed to weighing ingredients, but that isn't a huge problem, and it is more accurate. I also researched the amount of salt in bread dough (1.2%-2.2% of flour) and found that the salt is not too high (and in fact, it is low enough that I don't need to compensate for salted butter). The yeast measurement ...more
Monica
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve already upped my scone game from Paul Hollywood’s suggestion of freezing the dry ingredients. In this book, he suggests refrigerating the scones after they’re cut out and before baking.
Darren
Oct 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surely all breads are great, unless you are one of those dieticians who advocate cutting out bread from a diet. What could be nicer than a nice, freshly-baked loaf? So to produce a book entitled "100 Great Breads" it must have been very hard to make such a shortlist!

Here the author in a surprisingly-thin book sets out to show how to make delicious breads, ranging from the mainstream standby loaf to some more esoteric, unusual breads. A brief history about bread is first offered before it is stra
Keith
Jul 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I sent my sister a list of questions -- things I remembered that she mentioned about some of her recipes and recipe books. Her reply was that the answer for each of my questions was this book. This book:

1. Was one of the books containing an Irish soda bread recipe that she has used.
2. Has the recipe for mince pies. (They are actually lovely little mincemeat tarts.)
3. Has measurements that are "scant this" and "heaping that" which only make sense when you convert the recipe to metric.

She added: "
Meredith
May 15, 2009 rated it did not like it
I've only made about 25-30 of the breads in this book, and I've only found one great bread: the naan, which is prepared in a frying pan.

But the others have all been disasters. First of all, what kind of baguette has a half-stick of butter in it?!? If real French baguette had butter in, rest assured that French women would get fat. Strangely, the ciabatta only has 2 tbsps of olive oil, making it the driest ciabatta ever. The Focaccia Pugliese with Tomatoes and Garlic was a disaster that I don't
Mike
Mar 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Lovely book. Probably I'd like it even more if I actually took the time to, you know, use it.
Richard Newbold
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I bought this from "The Works" for a fiver (July 2015), assuming that the estimable Mr Hollywood would give me the lowdown on the great breads of the world (Rustic Italian, Jewish, Middle Eastern, Sour Doughs, Flatbreads etc) - hmmm! Too much fancy, schmancy stuff - putting bits of fruit, olive, nuts etc into your dough may make a decent loaf nicer, but "great"? - I don't think so. No real attempt to explain the fundamentals of flour, kneading etc in any detail, which I think is essential in a s ...more
Garry J Moyle
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Get baking

What a good book, if you want to make perfect breads don't look any further as this is the book for you, I have used this book many times and the results are perfect every time.
Encyclopedia
Jan 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
Lovely bread flavorings, terrible bread recipes. I wonder if anyone tested these recipes before publication. There are errors throughout in the yeast and salt amounts. The latest loaf I made was the Pain de Compagne. It yields about a 1 pound loaf, and it calls for 1 Tb of salt and 1 oz/30 g of yeast. That's absurd. That is way too much salt. It should be around a teaspoon, not a tablespoon. An entire jar of yeast is 4 oz, so 1 oz for a pound loaf is just as absurd. Besides, Americans don't own ...more
Jeff
Aug 25, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a great recipe book for different types of artisan bread, many of which have a special place in ancient history. I've owned this one for about 6 years and have made many good loaves of bread from it. I actually found it on the bargain priced shelf at Barnes & Noble all those years ago, kind of funny.
I only have two beefs with the book:

#1. It was written by a proffesional baker from the UK who uses weights instead of measurements as small as tablespoons.

#2. His recipes are written
Sue
Sep 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
I have baked bread before and know the basics, so I was looking for a book with just everyday kind of recipes that would be simple enough. So I just jumped in and started with the Farl recipe. When it called for 30 g. of yeast I remember thinking "mmm that is quite a bit" so actually only put in about 20g.
Made the Fougasses yesterday and realized again that the amount of yeast was just OTT. Went back to the front of the book to realize that he is using fresh yeast! I doubt that most home bakers
Marissa
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Decent, but could have many improvements.

-Pictures are few and far between, and the reader is often left wondering what picture goes with what recipe. Many of the descriptions for the bread leave unanswered questions, so anyone who is new to the bread making world will most likely have trouble deciphering the outcomes.

-Technique section is lacking. How on earth are we supposed to know when the bread is done fermenting, etc?

Plus side includes the delectable and unique desserts. Can't wait to try
Adrienne Twain-witton
There are a lot of missing tips and steps

This book assumes a lot of knowledge. I've done a lot of baking, and still feel like there are steps left out. For instance, If I hadn't previously seen people pounding butter for croissants, that step would have been lost in the book. I had good luck with the sandwich bread, but I've tried the baguette recipe on three occasions and it never turns out. Something is off.
Super Monkey
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cooking
Salt amounts are wrong, should be about 7-10g for 500g of flour, which is about 1-1.5 teaspoons, not a whole tablespoon which would be closer to 20g. And the instructions for some of the loaves read more like a technical challenge on the Great British Bake Off than a book for the home baker. 'Add enough water'? If I knew how much was enough I wouldn't need a recipe.
Geoffrey Smith
Dec 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: bread
Great little book with some very useful tips and tricks to help produce that perfect loaf. Provides a very wide spectrum of different bread recipes to try. The Cheese and Onion Soda bread has become a very firm favorite in my house. Highly recommended.
Elle
Aug 24, 2013 rated it liked it
The recipes are good, but can't get over how dated the photos look - but I suppose this book is pretty old nowadays. Anyway, the recipes are reliable (being from Paul Hollywood himself) so it's all good (although i do wish every recipe had a photo... I'm so picky hahha.
Alusha
Dec 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: alusha-2011
I just made his wholemeal soda bread today and it was fantastic!!!
Next week I'm going to try some more breads out. Nice and big variety of breads and how to make them in an easy way :) This book is almost a must for every bread lover!
Jason J. Blickstein
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I don't care what anyone says this is a great, clear and simple book for "home" baking bread. clear, concise, broad. bread baking is a touch thing and experimentation and trial and error is necessary. This book helped me take the skill to another level.
Daniel
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
100 Great Breads is put together well. Large pictures and recipes are unique and easy to follow. I love bread and value this great collection of deliciousness.
G.J.
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookery-books
I love Hollywood's recipes and his scone recipe is excellent !

Isla McKetta
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A lovely and wide collection of recipes for those with some confidence already in their bread-making technique.
Katrina Zartman
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Maybe it's just me, but the recipes I attempted did not turn out well.
Chris Billing
Feb 02, 2017
emszy
Oct 13, 2013
Kate Cubitt
rated it did not like it
Mar 29, 2017
Cláudia Costa
Dec 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Madhur Jaffrey's Ultimate Curry Bible
  • The Bread Bible: 300 Favorite Recipes
  • Great British Bake Off: How to Bake: The Perfect Victoria Sponge and Other Baking Secrets
  • Mary Berry's Baking Bible
  • A Book of Mediterranean Food
  • Secrets of a Jewish Baker: Recipes for 125 Breads from Around the World
  • The Year of Eating Dangerously: A Global Adventure in Search of Culinary Extremes
  • The Siberians
  • By Permission of Heaven: The True Story of the Great Fire of London
  • My Outdoor Life
  • Nigellissima: Instant Italian Inspiration
  • On the Shores of the Mediterranean
  • Mind Over Matter (Delta Expedition)
Paul Hollywood is an English baker and celebrity chef. He has worked as a baker since taking up the career at his father's bakery as a teenager and has gone on to become head baker at a number of hotels around Britain. After returning from working in Cyprus, he began appearing in guest spots on a number of British television shows on both BBC and ITV channels. Since 2010 he has appeared as a judge ...more
More about Paul Hollywood