Start by marking “The Proudest Blue” as Want to Read:
The Proudest Blue

The Proudest Blue

A powerful, vibrantly illustrated story about the first day of school--and two sisters on one's first day of hijab--by Olympic medalist and social justice activist Ibtihaj Muhammad.

With her new backpack and light-up shoes, Faizah knows the first day of school is going to be special. It's the start of a brand new year and, best of all, it's her older sister Asiya's first
Published September 10th 2019 by Little Brown Books

To ask other readers questions about The Proudest Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Proudest Blue

Start your review of The Proudest Blue
David Schaafsma
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
My family reads all the Goodreads-award-nominated picture books every year. This is book #18 (of 20) of 2019, and we liked it. It was written By Olympic medalist, social activist (and hijab-wearing!) athlete Ibtihaj Muhammed with the help of (writer) She. K. Ali, illustrated by Hetem Aly. Olympic medalist and social justice activist Ibtihaj Muhammad.

Hank (13): 3. I like the art.

Harry (14): 3. Wait, what's with all the counting (steps, and so on) and numbers in this book?! This book is really
Jillian Heise
This book is GORGEOUS! Empowering and celebratory of Muslim girls who are hijabis, and their families. The type of book that will help kids feel seen, and help other kids become more understanding. This is an important book that should be on all the shelves.
Stephanie Anze
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
It is the first day of school and Faizah is excited. Most of all, she is excited because it is the first day of school in which her sister Asiya is going to wear her blue hijab. Faizah thinks her sister looks like a most beautiful princess and does not understand why others at school do not see it in the same way. As she deals with the bullies, Faizah learns to truly appreciate the beauty of the hijab.

Another great children's book with a most important message. Faizah admires her older sister
Becky
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A beautiful book! It’s a true window & mirrors book; readers will see themselves and others will learn about the Muslim faith.
Cindy Dobrez
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith, picture-books
What a wonderful story about rites of passage, the bonds of sisters, overcoming classmate cruelty and taunts, and the importance of faith to a young girl. Little sisters look up to older sisters usually and for Faizah watching her sister buy her first hijab and wear it to school on the first day is a special moment. Aly's illustrations are beautiful as they bring to life the ocean/sky blue color that Asiya selects for her hijab. The anonymous way in which the bullies are portrayed is powerful as ...more
Christine
This book was so beautiful! I sobbed while reading it. I loved the relationship between the sisters. Faziah was so proud of her older sister on her first day of wearing hijab, referring to Asiya as a princess. The other students whispered about Asiya and teased her for wearing a hijab. Faziah was upset by the students' words, but remembered some of her mother's sage wisdom. "Don't carry around the hurtful words that others say. Drop them. They are not yours to keep. They only belong to those who ...more
Calliope van Poe
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a lovely read!
Julie
A book about two Muslim sisters who celebrate pride in their faith by wearing hijab, and also about the cruel remarks bullies can make, and how personal, emotional strength can overcome those remarks. As Asiya and Faizah's mother says, "Don't carry around the hurtful words that others say. Drop them. They are not yours to keep. They belong only to those who said them." This valuable story will encourage young readers to try to understand and celebrate differences and to take strength in faith, ...more
KC
There are so many things I loved about this book. Authored by a former Olympic medalist, the stunning illustrations, especially the faceless bullies, and the message.
Shireen Hakim
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"If you understand who you are, one day they will too."
I almost cried tears of blue like Faizah's Hijab. This story of a younger sister Asiya worried about her older sister being bullied for wearing Hijab to school for the first time is so sweet I wanted the book to continue forever. Read it.
Mary Lee
A beautiful #ownvoice story about a girl who wears hijab to school for the first time and her adoring little sister. There are bullies, but the girls' faith keeps them strong.
Rod Brown
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Goodreads Choice Awards Project: Read as many of the Best Picture Book nominees as possible. 4 to go!

Again, nice sentiments and art, like fellow nominee Sulwe that I just read, but I really feel odd about any religion that tells people how to dress in their daily life (and I'm looking at you Mormon underwear, Amish hats, Roman Catholic school uniforms, Jewish yarmulkes, etc.), especially considering that in the Garden of Eden story clothing seems to be a human construct whereas God apparently
Julie Esanu
Embracing identity and completely empowering: "Don't carry around the hurtful words that others say. Drop them. They are not yours to keep. They belong only to those who said them." When sharing, don't overlook the powerful Authors' Notes.
Juwi
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love love LOVE this book! The illustrations are adorable and just such a beautiful and wholesome message!!!

My fave hijab colour is pink and I will defo wear it proudly!!!

10/10 would recommend

Julie
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Gorgeous illustrations accompany an empowering story. I loved the supportive and loving relationship of the sisters and the encouraging words from their strong mother. "Some people won't understand your hijab, Mama had said. But if you understand who you are, one day they will too."
Aolund
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A moving story of standing up for yourself and your beliefs told in an accessible and engaging fashion. Faizah's big sister Asiya is wearing hijab to school for the first time, and despite being bullied by some classmates, she is brave, confident, and proud, a role model for her younger sister, her friends, and for those who read this book. Ideal for a kindergarten or slightly older audience.

Themes: School, Islam, Colors, Siblings
Melissa Anderson
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I cannot wait to read this story ro my niece. It is absolutely beautiful. The illustrations are stunning, but the story is so wonderful. A story of two sisters. For Faizah, it's her first day of school and for her sister Asiya, it her first day of hijab. To Faizah the hijab is the ocean and her sister a princess. I really loved this story and the author's note at the end. Beautiful.
Lynn
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story both for youngsters who need to see themselves and their culture in picture books and to use to introduce the tradition of wearing the hijab.

Sweet and celebratory with absolutely gorgeous illustrations by Hatem Aly.
James
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: work-books
Such a gorgeous cover and illustrations, with an amazing story to go along with it!
Ciera
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not only was it lovely to see such representation of young Muslim girls who are hijabis, this book was also beautiful! The way Faizah so admired her sister, Asiya, and her hijab, gorgeously rendered as the sky or the ocean in lovely spreads, portrayed a lovely relationship between sisters as much as a love of faith. This was, in many was, a story of "family, love, and faith" as Ibtihaj Muhammad herself describes it.
Aisha
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this!!! My nephew was so hyped that a character had the same name as his school friend ...more
Marjorie Ingall
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-4-8
Hm, does this count as a celebrity-written children's book? (The author is an Olympic athlete in fencing who competed in hijab for the USA.) If it is, we gotta add it to that EXTEMELY SHORT list of superb children's books written by famous people.

It's a lovely, conversation-starting, age-appropriate look at a little girl's pride for her sister, who is wearing hijab to school for the first time. Not everyone is supportive. It's a depiction of bullying and of also of religious/cultural pride, and
Jayne Pixton
What a wonderful book.
Victoria
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful art, beautiful writing, beautiful message. Ibtihaj Muhammad is a wonderful role model for young women; she has a beautiful heart and mind.
Erin Downing
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A lovely story with gorgeous illustrations!
Isaiah
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sara
Oct 04, 2019 added it
This book was very personal to me. It allowed me to see that I am not the only one that goes through the feeling of wanting to start wearing the hijab and constantly looking out for those who wear it. In this story it shared the story of 2 sisters who had started the first day of school but it was not only the start of a new school year it was the first day of starting to wear the hijab. The younger sister was so proud of her sister but noticed that people did not see her sisters hijab as ...more
michele
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A beautiful message and beautiful illustrations. Really, I can't get over some of the gorgeous spreads Hatem Aly created to show Asiya's power. And I loved how the kids who make fun of her are portrayed without specific defining features.

The author, Ibtihaj Muhammad, said she wanted to tell this story to help others "see that the parts of ourselves that might make us appear 'different' are worth celebrating." This is an amazing book to help anyone who feel "othered" by their faith realize that
Annese
I LOVE THIS BOOK! I love everything about it. I need to get my own copy. (I'm currently hoarding a library copy...)

I love that this story is presented from little sister Faizah's point of view. I love Faizah's excitement for a her sister's big moment, and imaging her own first day hijab moment. I love the way Faizah interprets the color blue. I LOVE big sister Asiya's unspoken yet unwavering confidence, that served to reassure Faizah of her feelings. I love how this book is relatable and easy
Morgan Rhule
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With bright illustrations and colorful language this book brings you with a young girl who looks up to her sister for wearing a hijab during the first day of school. With words of pride and wisdom along with situations where those words are useful this book allows children to either find pride in who they are or learn about others who may be different.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Hundred-Year Barn
  • Who Wet My Pants?
  • Leila in Saffron
  • Snow Globe Wishes
  • What If Everybody Thought That?
  • At the Mountain's Base
  • Little Libraries, Big Heroes
  • What Is a Refugee?
Ibtihaj Muhammad, an American sabre fencer, is a 2016 Olympic medalist, 5-time Senior World medalist and World Champion in the sport of fencing. In August 2016, she became the first American woman to compete in the Olympics in hijab and is also the first Muslim woman to win an Olympic medal for the United States. Ibtihaj is a 3-time All American from Duke University, with a dual degree in ...more