Jump to ratings and reviews

The Girl in the Painting

Ansel Bray, an artist known around the world for his tragic hiatus from the canvas.
Ansel Bray, a broody, handsome man not known by me, at all.

Long dark hair, blue eyes, and dimpled cheeks. I’ve never met her, but her image is imprinted in my mind. An angel muse who inspires me to paint again.

There is something about him. Something that spurs a need to be as close to him as possible. A need to find out why.
There is something about her. Something that draws me in. Something that urges me to find out what her presence means.

Why does the girl in his painting look so much like me?
Who is this girl, and why can I see her so vividly?

I shouldn’t fall in love with him.
I shouldn’t fall in love at all.

But fate plays her hand.
But fate has other plans.

The lines of my life will blur.
The needs of my heart will change.

What a beautiful mess we’ve made.

284 pages, Paperback

First published February 26, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Max Monroe

70 books7,228 followers
About five years ago, a dynamic duo of romance authors teamed up under the pseudonym Max Monroe, and, well, the rest is history...

Max Monroe is the New York Times and USA Today Bestselling Author of more than thirty contemporary romance titles. Favorite writing partners and long time friends, Max and Monroe strive to live and write all the fun, sexy swoon so often missing from their Facebook newsfeed. Sarcastic by nature, their two writing souls feel like they’ve found their other half. This is their most favorite adventure thus far. ​

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
693 reviews209 followers
March 2, 2019
2 STARS

▬⋆▬⋆▬⋆▬⋆▬⋆▬⋆▬⋆▬⋆▬⋆▬⋆▬⋆▬⋆▬⋆▬⋆▬

“A muse, a true muse, changes you forever. When you find your Venus, she alters your art and your soul in such a way that there is no going back.”

Eu gostei muito de como essa história começou. Achei inusitado porque não era o que eu imaginava, não chegou nem perto do que eu esperava...
Porém, a partir de certo ponto fui gostando cada vez menos da história, dos personagens... principalmente da Indy e suas atitudes.

O rumo que a trama seguiu não me agradou, acho que devido as circunstâncias, poderia ter sido diferente.
Não vi a necessidade de manter certo elemento, “na espera”, para ser usado como um fator a mais no drama da história... acho que já tinha elementos suficientes para isso.

Enfim, eu queria muito ter amado este livro e é uma pena porque tinha potencial de ser maravilhoso, porém a maneira como foi desenvolvido não me agradou em nada.
Profile Image for ✰ Bianca ✰ BJ's Book Blog ✰ .
2,120 reviews1,175 followers

description

Ansel is a very famous painter. But he hasn't painted a thing in over a year - because he's blind.

Ever since the accident he's been trying to survive in his now dark & art-less life. Art was everything to him and now he can't be an artist anymore.

(Spoileralert for those worried about the blindness: )

Enter Indy.

She gets dragged to an art gallery one night by her boyfriend and her sister. That's where she discovers herself on one of the paintings.

What? How? Huh?

The same things go through Ansel's mind. He has no idea why he keeps painting this beautiful girl. But she's been the muse in his mind ever since he started painting again.

What? How? Huh? WHY????

READ THE BOOK AND FIND OUT!

description

AWWWW - SUCH AN ADORABLE LOVE STORY!

We immediately fall in love with Ansel. He's the typical sexy broody artist type. But he's also so much more. Just our kind of guy!

And Indy. Adorable! She's not really all that happy in her life and job. Something happened a while back and she lost her joy for life for a bit. We don't know what it is yet, but we suspect things.

Ansel and Indy are soooo perfect for each other. Like SO perfect.

But of course it's not that easy. Indy has Matt and we have this mystery about the paintings and we have past pain ....

I absolutely loved this book - I finished it in one day! Even though you kinda know what's what and what must've happened, you still just want to keep on reading. You need to see Ansel and Indy get that Happy End.

And it was so worth it. We have so many adorable and funny moments and sexy moments. And family moments. And hilarious brother moments. Even some rock-star moments. Art moments. New York moments. Heartbreaking moments.

This was the perfect romance! I really adored the story and the people in it!

One little thing though. (I'll put it in a spoiler thingy - if you don't know what the 'secret mystery' is from the start, please don't read my spoiler!!!)

BUT - don't worry - the story is still mega adorable and so very read-worthy! ☺

Also ... I wouldn't mind getting a rock star series next from MM by the way *coughbramcough*
And after that the gallery guy!

THE GIRL IN THE PAINTING was such a beautiful love story! Full of art & music & family & romance & hope & pain & loss & love & heartbreak & New York!
Hurry to your nearest amazon for your own Ansel - this one is MINE!!!

Smokin Hot Book Blog Email
Shelved as 'dnf'
February 28, 2019
Once a cheater always a cheater.
Once a mess always a mess!
Heroine has a boyfriend and she cheats with the hero. And of course the author tries to makes it alright since her boyfriend cheated on her, BUT she didn’t know she was being cheated on so that still doesn’t make alright for her to do it.
Hero is blind and he gets an eye transplant and surprise it’s the heroine’s dead fiancé who’s eyes were transferred to the hero. That’s why hero paints her without actually having to meet her.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for The Book Bee.
556 reviews255 followers
March 4, 2019
REVIEW: 2 Disappointing STARS
"She's a red string tied to my finger, and I can't forget her."

Unpopular opinion warning : I need this review to come across as me being upset at the lack of emotional depth needed to carry off this storyline, and not the thought that Max Monroe can't write a story. I want to stress that while the story had an amazing synopsis and plot, the execution lacked immensely for me. As predictable and clichéd as this one was, it was ok - a decent read. I think I went in with higher expectations than I should have, and knowing that this one was supposed to be more heartfelt and emotional, the boldest emotion I felt was let down. When this is the opening line of the book, I should be awarded the emotions to accompany it:

"Do you think the universe fights for souls to be together? Some things are too strange and strong to be coincidences. "
-- Unknown

I know I have some favorite authors that write FATE like it's as simple - and necessary - as breathing, and they set the tone from the beginning and roll with it through to the end. I love when an author can effortlessly tell me a story that shows me why the universe works in tandem with FATE. I didn't quite get that with this one. I have always heard Max Monroe was an amazing read: their stories are funny, the banter is hilarious, and the heroes are swoony. And before I get any farther in this review, their newsletters are THE BEST author newsletters I receive and I read them from the beginning to the end, religiously. I feel like those are a good "introduction" to them and their personalities, so signing up for this one felt like a no-brainer for me. Needless to say, I was very excited to jump into a more emotional book by this well-loved duo as my first read by them - and I thought, what a great opportunity for me to "meet" them. I don't do a lot of romantic comedies because I like the more powerfully emotional ones - the ones that leave me feeling raw and gritty. I prefer those because I want to feel my stories. However....

"To my soul, I know this isn't some random coincidence."

This book lacked the very necessary heaviness that was required to actually pull off the emotions needed to emphasize the journey these two characters took. Not only did it lack any actual emotion, I think it had the opposite effect on me because it angered me. That's not what the authors were going for, of that I can assure you. For involving my #1 favorite trope ever, I couldn't help but hate the heroine for her actions. H A T E. I couldn't connect with her at all and she felt very dry to me. She was one bad excuse/decision after another, and that felt very off-putting. I know there is supposed to be drama in every book - necessary for plot movement, but some of it is not necessary and when I start picking out things that bother me, other things start to stick out too. I nitpicked all her complaints about her job and lessons plans and anything else she mumbled about. I understand taking liberties with stories. I really do, but make them believable and not eye-roll worthy. Or laughable. So I know that's on me, and I get it, but that was one of those things that emphasized the distaste I felt for Indigo. Her ridiculousness was....well, ridiculous.

Ansel, though? All sorts of sexy. I won't lie. Swoony has a big ol check next to his name. His whispered comments gave me goosebumps. His promised affections gave me the anxiety pangs and butterflies. His turmoil? I felt it. He really was a brooding, tortured artist and they pulled that off exceptionally well, enough for me to empathize with him and hope against hope that this worked out for him. I just couldn't get on board with Indigo. sigh I didn't even feel Ansel and Indigo's pull to one another - like, at all, and that's the saddest part for me.

I didn't hate it...I just didn't love it.

I realize I am in the vast minority with this review and my opinion, but I will still do a giveaway even though I wouldn't recommend this to anyone looking for an emotional book. Max Monroe die-hards will love this, and for that, I'm happy to give a copy away. I will most definitely read more from them because I can't seem to stop laughing at their emails, but that also tells me that I need to stick to their comedy and stay away from their drama. That synopsis gave me all kinds of promises, and I know I'm bitter because I feel like they were all broken. I know there should have been some emotion built into this one, and yet I just didn't get that emotional gut-punch that I was set up to feel. I will definitely read them again, and I will take recommendations for the best comedy of theirs to read, because I can only imagine those will be side-splitting funny.

"All you can do is lead with the best intentions, and then it's up to fate to decide."
~BEE

AMAZON AA LINK: https://amzn.to/2C3dvZN

ENTER HERE TO WIN AN ECOPY: http://bit.ly/2TkOgNi
____________________________
ORIGINAL REVIEW:

Review to come, but this one was rough for me. I refused to DNF this one and I came close a few times, which is terrible, I know....but I just couldn't get with the program.

It involves my favorite trope and I can honestly say that it definitely did not "paint" the heroine in a good light in my eyes. I will have a spoiler free, in-depth review with giveaway up later.
Profile Image for Tanja ~ KT Book Reviews .
1,355 reviews172 followers
February 26, 2019
Wow. I mean, really... WOW. A one-sit read, and an urge to remaining seated after I was finished to absorb it all into the fibers of my mind. I love it when a book does this to me. I was gripped from the very start with the thread of mystery and the ache of uncertainty. All of these things kept me rooted in place.

"The eyes are the windows to the soul, and once those windows are closed, evil and loathing spread their roots like ivy."

It's an amazing ability to make characters come alive in such a palpating way. Each with a trauma and yet a need to remain functional. That's the best way to describe both Ansel and Indy. Two totally different people harboring trauma yet on a collision course to finding peace.

"My soul knows your soul."

I've highlighted so many passages hoping to string them into a review worth sharing and I simply feel as if I will fail at this task. I'm terrified of spoiling. It's such a compelling book. Just know this, getting The Girl in the Painting is worth it. So totally worth.

Get it. Read it. Love it.
~Tanja

Instagram
Profile Image for Syndi.
2,797 reviews617 followers
July 10, 2019
Do you know about that horror movie The Eye? Well, this book is based on that concept minus the horror. And adding into a lot of romantic aspect. I like this book OK. I was expecting a full angst and full drama story. But the angst is moderate, the drama/ twist is OK.

And after I finish listening to the audio book, I want more. More dramatic/ more twist. The background of Indy can be explored much further and bringing into the story much sooner. Matt is not necessary. I want Ansel to be more brooding and more unpleasant. Instead Ansel is OK. Even I found him more sarcastic instead of brooding.

Again, overall I enjoy this book OK.

3 stars
Profile Image for Cami.
1,269 reviews65 followers
January 8, 2021
OH MY!!!

I normally read this author duo’s books because they are hilariously sexy RomComs and they never disappoint. And on par this did not disappoint…..it actually exceeded my expectations!

Don’t get me wrong it still has hilarious parts and it still has sexy parts but this book had a ton of heart. This was an emotional story. You see it coming but still it tugs at your heart strings.

Really great story!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Profile Image for Kahea.
2,002 reviews102 followers
***5 ‘A Muse, A True Muse, Changes You Forever’ Stars***

The blurb was the hook.

I wanted and NEEDED to see how this love story would play out. What the twists and turns would be and if it would make sense to my sometimes chaotic and fantastical mind and this one went above and beyond what I could have ever expected.

Maybe I should have seen it coming.
Maybe I should have been more...cynical? Aware?

I don’t. But I wasn’t either of those. I was simply a very willing captive to this story that proves that love has no boundaries and sometimes you just have to roll with the punches.

I adored Ansel. He is all kinds of stubborn, grouchy, brooding artist who has a biting sarcastic wit and a tendency to just not give a fuck about what is expected of him. Which isn’t a bad thing when you look at what he’s gone through. But under all of that is a sweet man with a really good heart who finally knows who he is. Indy. I loved her. I did. But she also had me wanting to reach out and Gibbs smack some sense into her over a few things. Thankfully, when the real Indy came out to play, she was sassy, sweet and real and I loved seeing that side of her in all it’s facets.

As for their journey. Just from the description, you know it’s one of those that you just have to roll with and when I did that, I really enjoyed being around Ansel and Indy. They had this flow to them that had me wanting them to be together and get their HEA. But, there was also that lingering anticipation of when that shoe was going to drop, and in this one there were a couple, one anticipated, one not so much, and they both brought upheaval, some of which COULD have been avoided, but also a sense of clarity and rightness that worked for me and I loved how it all worked out for them in the end.

I know this one is a bit vague and all that, but this is a story you need to go into with as little knowledge as possible to get the most out of it. With that said, I was all in from the start and really enjoyed how everything played out from start to finish. I do hope that we see Bram at some point in the future because if anyone should be brought to his knees, it’s him!

~ Copy provided by Social Butterfly PR & voluntarily reviewed ~

Profile Image for Shannon.
2,269 reviews161 followers
4.5*

I adore Max Monroe's romcoms- I mean they brought us Thatch and Whorgie for Pete's sake, how could I not? But honestly, I really love the books where they've branched out from the laughs and given us something a little deeper, a little more serious, like the Stone Cold Fox trilogy, and now The Girl in the Painting. I think this book just might be my new favorite of theirs. I know Ansel is my new favorite MM bbf, sorry Thatch!

The Girl in the Painting was such an enchanting story. It was one that I wanted to zip through- I wanted, needed, to know everything about these characters, and I wanted to know it now! But I made myself read it slowly so I could savor every bit of Ansel and Indy. Because these are two utterly endearing characters and their story really captured my heart.

I'm not going to go into a lot of detail here, as this is one of those books that's best read without knowing a lot about it. It's such a compelling story, with some fun light-hearted moments mixed in to keep the feels from being overwhelming. Because you're definitely going to feel, and hopefully you'll experience that same pull towards Ansel and Indy that they feel towards each other. This book, their story, is one that just completely charmed me.
Profile Image for Nicole*bookaholic*.
405 reviews24 followers
September 21, 2019
I blew through this book. So easy to read. It was predictable but the story was so good. I feel in love with Indy and Ansel completely.
Profile Image for Shayna.
1,813 reviews591 followers
March 13, 2019
“𝐴 𝑚𝑢𝑠𝑒, 𝑎 𝑡𝑟𝑢𝑒 𝑚𝑢𝑠𝑒, 𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑛𝑔𝑒𝑠 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑓𝑜𝑟𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟. 𝑊ℎ𝑒𝑛 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑓𝑖𝑛𝑑 𝑦𝑜𝑢𝑟 𝑉𝑒𝑛𝑢𝑠, 𝑠ℎ𝑒 𝑎𝑙𝑡𝑒𝑟𝑠 𝑦𝑜𝑢𝑟 𝑎𝑟𝑡 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑦𝑜𝑢𝑟 𝑠𝑜𝑢𝑙 𝑖𝑛 𝑠𝑢𝑐ℎ 𝑎 𝑤𝑎𝑦 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑡 𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟𝑒 𝑖𝑠 𝑛𝑜 𝑔𝑜𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑏𝑎𝑐𝑘.”

A unique, sexy, and compelling story from start to finish! Beautiful, erotic, poetic, and just magical! Within a span of a single chapter there is tragedy and there is hope, and that set the stage to what has become one of my favorite romances from this writing duo!

🅖🅡🅐🅑 🅘🅣 🅗🅔🅡🅔
Amazon 🇺🇸→ https://amzn.to/2Ul3fmD
Amazon 🌏→ http://mybook.to/TheGirlinthePainting

ARC Tag
Profile Image for Camila Matuella.
582 reviews
March 5, 2019
O livro começou muito bem (muito obrigada), mas terminou igual do mesmo. Foi uma água fria. :(((
Profile Image for MeeJazz Frincy.
23 reviews52 followers
July 18, 2019
Truly a wonderful love story! Unlike any other I have ever read..💕 What made it even more amazing were the hilarious brother moments plus the rock star moments. Max Monroe 👍 👍 👍.
Profile Image for Ari .
904 reviews309 followers
March 20, 2019
*3.5 Stars!*

Last year I read my first Max Monroe book and slapped myself for not reading this author-duo sooner. This year, I got my act together and decided I would no longer sleep on Monroe's releases. When I read the blurb for The Girl in the Painting, I was both intrigued and confused because I had no idea what type of story this would be. But Max Monroe had yet to let me down so I dived in and crossed my fingers, hoping for the best.

Five years ago, famous artist Ansel Bray lost his sight in a tragic accident. One year after that horrific day, he gained the ability to see again after a risky but successful surgery. With a paintbrush in hand, Ansel is ready to return to the one thing he loves most and soon finds himself obsessed with the vision of a woman he has never met before...that is until the day she walks into his gallery.

Both the blurb for this book and my attempt at writing a synopsis are rather vague but I think it's best to go into this story blind (no pun intended). The Girl in the Painting was a story that drew me in immediately and I became obsessed with trying to figure out what the connection between Ansel and Indy was. The writing is hauntingly beautiful and suspenseful and the authors did a wonderful job at building the momentum and I was in utter shock by the time we got to the plot twist. I gotta say, I was not at all expecting this story to go in the direction that it did. Max Monroe took a plot twist that has been used in numerous horror movies and managed to put a romantic spin on it. It was a little cheesy but I really liked it and it hit me right in the feels. While I loved the way this story was told, I had some issues when it came to the romance and the characters. It took me a very long time to connect to Indy's character. She just felt very flat for majority of the book and it wasn't until "the big reveal" happened that I somewhat started feeling something for her. I think if Indy was just more opened emotionally throughout this book I would've probably connected more with her POV. Just a heads up, this romance does have some cheating so if that's a hard limit for you then you might want to pass on this book. The romance felt a bit rushed at times, especially in the beginning. I also wished that the romance was more emotional and angstier (is that even a word, lol). I just wanted to savor things a little more. My favorite part of this story has to be Ansel. I just loved his character so much and his desire to create and how he was humbled by his experience. Despite the minor hiccups, The Girl in the Painting was still a captivating page-turner and I can't wait to see what this author-duo has in stores for us next!
Profile Image for Grey.
448 reviews41 followers
February 27, 2019
This book. Even though the title is deceptively innocuous, the feels you're going to have are decidedly deep. The writing duo of Max Monroe has become synonymous with the pair of authors best known for penning witty and/or steamy rom-coms filled with characters that become like real people you expect to know and have real lives outside of the pages of their books...however, in this contemporary romance they prove they've got the chutzpah to crank in the feels department, as well.

Although I had figured out pretty early what direction we were headed in, it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the book in the slightest, literally this was a one-sit read for me. I sat down, picked it up and didn't put it down until I was done. Of course, the killer soundtrack helped...(wink, wink, nudge, nudge...it's like you know me!)

I received this book from the authors in exchange for an honest review, 4 stars.
March 1, 2019
NO SPOILERS!

The Girl in the Painting was a unique and emotional standalone romance about love, loss, and fate. It was unlike anything I’d read before, and I couldn’t get enough of everything. Max Monroe made me swoon so hard over the storyline and characters, and I loved the journey they took me on. I fell fast and hard for Ansel, Indy, and their unforgettable love story, and I know you will too. The Girl in the Painting was another MUST READ from the brilliant author duo, Max Monroe, and I would HIGHLY recommend it!

ARC received in exchange for an honest review.

For more reviews and other book news, please visit: https://theromancebibliophile.com
Profile Image for Meegz Reads.
1,331 reviews103 followers
March 6, 2019
*4 Stars*

ARC kindly received in exchange for an honest review.

Another good story from Max & Monroe. Ansel and Indy definitely have a connection, and whilst the reason for this was something I picked up on very early on, this was still an enjoyable story.

Ansel was not the kind of character that I was too fond of at first, even if I could understand why he was acting out the way he was. Indy is an instantly likeable character that you just wanted to be happy.

Once these two connect, the chemistry is undeniable and watching and waiting for things to unfold is both fun and frustrating at times.

Also some great secondary characters who I would like to know more about, both Ansels brother and also Indy's sister.

All in all another good read from Max Monroe and I look forward to what they bring next.

Review also on my blog - The Girl in the Painting by Max Monroe

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Profile Image for Kris Reads Romance.
129 reviews42 followers
May 11, 2020
Today I read an entire book in one sitting, on my back patio. I wish it had been longer, because I just wanted more of these two.
Ansel is an artist, with a connection to a girl he can’t stop painting. A girl who he assumed only existed in his mind’s eye when he gained his sight back after a trauma that left him blind.
Indy is drawn to the man whose painting greatly resembles her, after seeing it at a gallery one evening.
Neither one of them can articulate how or why they share this intense something they can’t quite name, but they do. As the story unfolds, we get a more detailed view of paths they each walked that led them to who they are now, what they’re doing, and to one another.
This book shows the power and intensity of love and fate, and the ripple effect it can have in someone’s life.

I love an emotional, intense book, and this definitely fit the bill.

Things I wish that had been slightly different:

- I don’t like cheating in a romance novel when the cheater is the hero or heroine. There have been a very small number of exceptions, but this one felt like it could have been avoided. Indy was already realizing the intensity of her connection to Ansel, and her breakup scene with her boyfriend could have happened before she slept with Ansel and been just as effective.
-I get the conflict near the end, where they each thought the other would struggle to be with the other one- Indy because she thought Ansel would assume he’d question her love for him having to truly do with him or her dead fiancé, and Ansel assuming it’s too painful for Indy to look into his eyes once the dots were connected about his transplant. I understand why they’d each think that.
And while they both declared their love for each other, it was never really talked about/clarified as to why they each thought the other “left” them. I wish there had been more communication regarding that.
-I just wish it had been longer because I would’ve liked to see certain things take more time and be built up to.
These things would’ve brought it up to five stars for me.

All that being said though, I did thoroughly enjoy this read.
I loved the writing, as it pulled me right into the story, and it felt descriptive enough to set the scene without having unnecessary descriptions. It was easy for me to love both the H and h, because I am a sucker for the grumpy one falls for the sunshine one. I love seeing the gruff and rough around the edges hero be brought to his knees by the way the heroine affects him.

This was sort of like Return To Me meets...I can’t figure it out. Haha.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for ✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰.
2,685 reviews12 followers
February 26, 2019
ARC received for an honest review

You know what I really like about Max Monroe books? I like that we don't get cookie cutter books, or series after series that is all the same. We have had hilarious billionaires, murder/mystery type books.

And now we have The Girl In The Painting.

You can't help but instantly adore Ansel and Indy.

Ansel is not your typical sexy, broody artist, and his story is not the regular, run of the mill story.

I will say that I did pick up pretty quickly something that was a major part of the story-to-be, however that did not take away any of the enjoyment.

I am not artist, and couldn't play an instrument if my life depended on it, however I love art and music. I liked both aspect of this in this story.

A beautiful yet heartbreaking story, The Girl In The Painting will leave you breathless and full of hope and love.

I can't wait to see what this pair brings use next.

Smokin Hot Book Blog Email
Profile Image for Lisa (Two Bookish Brits).
748 reviews154 followers
February 27, 2019
Gah this book was a mixture of emotions for me. I legit didn’t know what I was going to feel next.

ARC received in exchange for an honest review

Ok, I absolutely adored this storyline. It’s sad, heartbreaking even and painful! You can help but feel what they’re feeling because it’s tragic what they both have had to go through but it’s also happy, fun and beautiful. These two being friends and watching their relationship grow was both lovely and frustrating.

Now, I legit tend to stay away from stories that feature the kind things this does because it makes my blood boil, my skin itch and drives me absolute mad. I won’t giveaway the storyline because I hate ruining books for people but damn it. I’m just glad I didn’t read any earlier reviews of it as I would have stayed well away but I’m so SO glad I didn’t because although it frustrated me this book was so damn good. More amazing than I thought it was going to be.

This is my third book that I’ve read from Max Monroe and again, I absolutely loved their writing. I love the way the characters are brought to life in this book and I love every emotion that accompanies them. It’s a heartbreaking one to read but one I loved very much. I can’t wait to see what future books come from the super talented Max Monroe.

The girl in the painting was a heartbreaking and emotional read. One that’ll make you feel all the feels and love every second.
Profile Image for Dawn.
1,446 reviews262 followers
February 27, 2019
Omg I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!! I devoured it and although I was completely happy with the turnout I still wanted there to be more. I didn’t want to say goodbye to these characters. The feels. I knew where this book was leading, but that never took away from me being completely taken in by every single twist and turn in the journey. I just lost myself in the journey that unfolded page after page.
Profile Image for Flo.
1,736 reviews
February 26, 2019
Max Monroe are back and I really enjoyed Ansel and Indy's story!
The Girl In The Painting was unique and also an easy read that I devoured in a few hours. I would love to hear that Bram will be getting a story since he was one of my favourite characters.
Profile Image for phoebess.
1,470 reviews87 followers
March 25, 2019
I will be probably one of a few who were not happy reading this book.
It started with an interesting twist—I admit, I read about these kind of things only in horror books—but shortly it felt flat and my annoyance with the book started to rise fast.
Mostly because of my personal pet peeves. Like heroes constantly calling themselves dicks even though they are basically just wannabe dicks who are afraid to hurt other's people feelings and keep apologizing about it by saying, "Sorry, I am a dick/an asshole/etc..." This is a cliché of all clichés. And Ansel fitted that perfectly. Just as a sidenote, real dicks don't talk about being dicks, because they don't care.
Then there was the additional and unnecessary drama about Adam. It was hinted at throughout the whole story and let loose like a cannon ball at the end—and missed its target (us readers, or just me) because at that time, everybody knew and probably wanted it to be over with so they can have their happily ever after. Ugh. In my opinion, if this particular cat was let out of the bag at the beginning, it could have created sufficient amount of angst that would be much more believable and most likely a hook, line and sinker for me.
And a thing I thought I would not need to mention... the cheating thing. I am bored with this review already, so let's make it more interesting for me, shall we? Spoilers ahead! Oooh, scary warning!

*Indy mentions she hasn't have sex with Matt for so, so (so, so, so) long.*
me: Oh. God, this is gonna be one of those books in which a heroine sleeps with a hero, while being in relationship with other man, then never mentions the other man and her cheating, cause everything is peachy now, that she's with a hero. And I am gonna have to write about it, pissed, in spite of the fact I love [good] cheating stories.
*Indy sleeps with Ans...*
me: Ugh. I knew it.
*... and promptly feels guilty about it.*
me: Hm. Interesting, redeeming twist. I like it already. Let see where it goes.
*Indy breaks up with Matt, tells her sister about everything. She calls Matt please-don't-make-me-look-it-up something...*
me: Uh-oh. I see where it is going. Please, don't do this to me again!
*... and tells Indy about Matt cheating on her as well several months ago.*
me: Crap. Not just crap. Fuck on crap! I mean, seriously? Now Indy can feel good about herself, because two bads make a good? For fuck's sake, own up to your actions!
*Cheating is never mentioned again.*
me: And now everything is... nope, I'm not gonna say the P-word.
Profile Image for Aya.
116 reviews3 followers
March 6, 2019
how about no.

Cheating alert 🚨
February 28, 2019
*I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC of this book*

5 “Muse” Stars

I loved, loved, loved this book so hard. When I read the blurb, I was hooked and I needed this book like nobody’s business. You think you know, but you have no idea. There so much to this story than what you might think. I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough. From beginning to end this story and it’s characters captivated me. I didn’t care about anything other than this book and the emotions it was bringing out of me. I couldn’t get enough.

Ansel Bray is a broody artist. Though an unfortunate accident has left him in perpetual darkness. His life has been a shell of what it once was. He’s trying to accept his new life now, but it’ll never be the same. There’s that piece of his that’ll always be missing and it’s hard for him to let that go completely. Ansel, Ansel, Ansel oh I love and adore him. He made me a swoony mess, made my soul sing and captured my heart. He became one of my absolute favorites. I craved more of him, so much more.

Indy Davis was the brightest star in the sky. She’s been through something horrific, but is trying her best to move forward as best she can. And without knowing what exactly she was looking for, she’s found it in the most inexplainable way. And thus begins a journey that is remarkable and unforgettable.

Ansel and Indy were cosmic. Two souls destined to find each other. Both seeking peace and without knowing that they’d find it in each other. They were written in the stars, and fate brought them together. Two people that were meant to be and love, love, love. I needed more, more, more.

The Girl in the Painting will leave you breathless. It’ll fill you with hope and love. It’s heartbreaking, yet beautiful. All the feels, you will feel ALL. THE. FEELS. Another unputdownable book by the a amazing duo of Max Monroe. Definitely recommend.
Profile Image for Marta Bo.
758 reviews8 followers
February 28, 2019
WoW!!! This book is definetly not this kind, that I would expect from this two amazing women.

They always know how to made me smile or even more laughing very, very loud !!! The Girl in the Painting made me breathless, and left my heart cutted in milion pieces. For sure....Mrs Max and Monroe take me to a very unexpected journey were emotions overwhelmed me many times!

After ending this amazing story I still have mess in my head, maybe I'll repeating again but I'm in shock.... Max and Monroe created perfect story linie, I've devorued this, not-that-short book in one sitting. I couldn't put it down.

Ansel and Indie are great characters. I liked how Max and Monroe showed them us. THIS COUPLE were perfect for each other. Indie history was painfuly for me, but I loved that Ansel was enough stuppborn to figh for this woman heart.

Propably You could think.- gah it's story like milion other books have.... but I can assure readers every kind - Max and Monroe created beautifull love story, that has been written in the best writting style. This book taking bookish souls and hearts irretrievably!

Higly recomended title!
Profile Image for Gina *loves sunshine*.
1,840 reviews68 followers
September 12, 2019
The plot/storyline for this book is super interesting!!! a rewrite of the synopsis....Young hot artist goes blind, gets eye transplant, paints girl that he keeps picturing, and said girl sees his paintings, they fall in love - YES, everything was super predictable! Yes, you can even guess why on earth would he magically paint a girl he has never met!!?!? The story was good, sometimes sweet, sometimes a bit unfolding - but overall enjoyable and nice dual M/F narration! There was definitely a flat insta love and as other reviews have pointed out - this was a book about fate...yet you could not feel the fate or chemistry. 2.5 stars rounded to 3!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 402 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.