Start by marking “Jingle Bell Pop” as Want to Read:
Jingle Bell Pop

Jingle Bell Pop

It seems like every year, the holiday season arrives earlier and earlier. Before Halloween’s ghosts and ghouls have even had their chance to come out of the shadows, sleigh bells and ribbons begin to materialize at the mall and towering tinsel-tinged trees appear in our living rooms. But the most telltale sign of the arrival of yuletide festivities is the unceasingly merry ...more
Audible Audio
Published December 6th 2018 by Audible Studios

To ask other readers questions about Jingle Bell Pop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jingle Bell Pop

Corinna
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audible-listens
An informative, little NPR style Audible listen I downloaded for free in December. I would have loved to have heard the origins of more classics, but it largely focused on the 1940s onward. Still very interesting and a new perspective I haven't thought about very much. The discussion point was, "Is it impossible to write a new Christmas classic that will be accepted into the Christmas canon?"

Maybe I'll give it a try just for kicks and grins. If I post a link someday, you guys have to make my Ch
Mahlon
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
A fun and interesting exploration of the Christmas song canon featuring the stories behind some of your holiday favorites. I did think that there would be more stories behind and less academic discussion of the types of Christmas songs but this in no way detracted from my enjoyment of this audible original.
Ammon
Dec 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas
Jingle Bell Pop is perfect for putting on in the background while you're decorating Christmas cookies when or running around town getting the last few errands completed before the big day.

Fans of NPR-style programming will feel right at home. There's plenty of interesting tidbits about many of your favorite Christmas earworms to keep you listening.
James
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome History Lesson on Christmas Classics!
Vincent Stoessel
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really cool history of the evolution of the Christmas song cannon.
Jess
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Needed more history
Lea
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable listen about how Christmas songs came about, their history, how new songs have been added to the canon. Had song clips and writers to add a personal experience. Definitely festive.
Graeme Newell
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible
This delightful little book tells the story of the "Christmas Canon," the collection of perennial songs that populate the world's Christmas tune favorites. Surprisingly, no new songs have joined the list in 23 years. The latest addition was Maria Carey's "All I Want for Christmas is You" and the holiday spoof song “Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer.”

Turns out the world loves the old favorites most: Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, and songs from other legendary crooners from the past.

My favorite st
Kazima
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
I wish we could have heard some of the songs that were being talked about, because there were some I couldn't really recall off hand while listening. It would've enriched the experience too, but I also understand there are probably liscensing issues that kept them from doing that.
Rebecca L.
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This audible original is a fun sleigh ride through the Christmas canon. It was well produced and I enjoyed learning the history of some of my favorite Christmas songs. This was a fun and festive short holiday book.
Colleen Houck
If you love Christmas music, check this out. Lots of interesting info and interviews about Christmas songs past and present.
Jessica
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
We listened to this audiobook on an eight-hour Christmas Eve weekend road trip to visit grandparents. Somehow it sucked all the fun out of Christmas music—or maybe that was just Iowa. Hard to say.
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting look into Christmas music. I enjoyed it.
Nick Hendry
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Are you a music fan? Do you especially love Christmas music? This production gives you a look behind the scenes of the Christmas music industry! John Seabrook has done a great job bringing an educational and entertaining look into Christmas music and Erin Moon has such a great voice to be lending to this audiobook. I have learned many things I was unaware of about Christmas music. For years I just heard the words, would sing along, and didn't give the songs any more thought. Now after this audio ...more
Christine
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audible, non-fiction
I learned two interesting tidbits about "Silent Night"
1) It was originally written for tenor and bass
2) The priest who wrote the lyrics, Benjamin Moore, was an illegitimate child who never knew his parents and was raised by the Church

I learned those interesting tidbits in the first ten minutes, which earned this the 3 stars it got.

Sadly, the rest of this was a lot of interviewees bemoaning the fact that the last big Christmas song, "All I Want For Christmas Is You" is 24 years old. They all pret
Lori S.
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting look at how songs become part of the "Christmas canon", the annual playlist that shows up in November and drives everyone up the wall for the next two months.

Very few modern, original, songs actually make it into the canon, they tend to be flashes in the pan. This audio looks at the songs that have made it (most of them annoying) and there are interviews with the song writers, producers, and others, who've helped to bring the songs to prominence.
Ryan Ard
Dec 21, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a perfect quick audiobook for the holidays. The book has some interesting history and insight into how a Christmas song is created. One thing that struck me as odd is that most people interview in the book believe the Christmas Canon is closed for good. That seems extremely naive and pretentious to me. Overall, it was fun and entertaining.
Jerrod Carter
Dec 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Somewhat interesting. The analysis acknowledged the Christian roots of Christmas songs but by the end of this short work any meaning of Christmas is pretty much lost. Worth the price of free that I paid for it.
Ralph
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
An Audible Original for December, Jingle Bell Pop provides an interesting backstory of some of the best loved holiday classics and the makings of a memorable Christmas song. Makes the Christmas wrapping fly by.
Geoff
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun, but way too short (and therefore too surface level in it's discussion of Christmas songs). The interview clips with songwriters were a nice touch - made it almost like an in depth NPR feature.
Julie
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting examination of the holiday standards, and how hard it is to get added to the list.
Jim Ogle
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible
I love this audio book. It well tells the stories behind so many of the great Christmas songs of all time. Some contemporary and some are classics. All the stories are interesting!
Lisa E
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
If you have insomnia, this is the perfect book for you. I found this audio book to be boring.
It had potential but just didn’t deliver.
Debra Barstad
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Just ok for me nothing special
Leah Angstman
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
A quick, interesting history and how-to manual on what goes into making a holiday music hit, the Xmas music heyday, and some surprising details to make you squirm ("Jingle Bells," for instance, being written for performance as a black-face minstrel song).
Erica Robyn
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jingle Bell Pop by John Seabrook, narrated by Erin Moon, was an absolute joy to listen to during the holiday season! I'm so happy that I snagged this audiobook on Audible!

If you love Christmas music and have the chance to give this a listen, I highly recommend it!

Erin Moon, the narrator, was so upbeat and fun! I really enjoyed listening to her narrate this tale. The production was also very well done. I loved that they added recordings and instrumentals in the background from time to time; each
Willian Molinari
May 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
I didn't know that Christmas songs were composed in a hurry most of the time. There were some good stories about those songs but the book is not that interesting.

The book is very short, so it may worth the time if you're curious about that, otherwise, I have many other books to recommend.

PS. I got it for free as the monthly Audible free books.
Annie
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-counts-too
Jingle Bells was a drinking song at 19th Century Holiday parties. Partygoers would jiggle the ice at the refrain.🥃
Other Fascinating Facts for Holiday Smalltalk from this Audible freebie:
*Silent Night turns 100 years old this Christmas Eve. In Austria, its Country of Orgin its only played on Christmas Eve and NEVER in a commercial setting - to preserve the sacredness.
* Oldest Songs in Christmas Canon (Joy to World and Adeste Fideles) go back to 4th Century when early Christian leaders moved cele
Angie Thompson
This one just didn't strike me quite right for some reason. I think it started off on a bit of a bad foot by linking secular Christmas songs to the old Saturnalia festivals and referring to them that way over and over again. (Yes, I get it--there have been winter festivals for a long time. And not every aspect of Christmas is specifically Christian. But why link innocent songs like "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" to pagan festivals that make me feel dirty just thinking about them? Couldn't we ju ...more
Chelle
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love! Christmas hymns and carols and found this an interesting listen!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Play Book Tag: Jingle Bell Pop - John Seabrook (4 stars) 1 8 Dec 22, 2018 10:56AM

• Gather 'Round the Sound
  • Hi Bob!
  • Books That Have Made History: Books That Can Change Your Life
  • Strong Ending A Journey from Combat to Comedy
  • The Christmas Hirelings
  • The Heresy of Orthodoxy: How Contemporary Culture's Fascination with Diversity Has Reshaped Our Understanding of Early Christianity
  • Grandissimo: The First Emperor of Las Vegas
  • The Word of Promise Complete Audio Bible: NKJV
  • In God's Path: The Arab Conquests and the Creation of an Islamic Empire
  • An Introduction to Project Management
  • The King James Only Controversy: Can You Trust the Modern Translations?
  • Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart
  • New Family Values
  • Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future
  • The Leadership Secrets of Santa Claus: How to Get Big Things Done in YOUR "Workshop" All Year Long
  • Feeding the Dragon
  • The Everything Family Christmas Book: Stories, Songs, Recipes, Crafts, Traditions, and More
  • Stories Behind the Best-Loved Songs of Christmas
John Seabrook has been a staff writer at The New Yorker since 1993. The author of several books including Nobrow, he has taught narrative nonfiction writing at Princeton University. He lives in Brooklyn, New York.