Start by marking “Dracula's Guest” as Want to Read:
Dracula's Guest

Read Book* *Different edition

Dracula's Guest

A young man sets out on a journey where the elements - and something elemental - are against him.

Stoker's own Dracula's Guest - a chapter omitted from his landmark novel.
ebook
Published 1897

Christian Doig
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: amantes del terror, goths
Shelves: short-stories
Esta excelente colección de relatos breves del autor de Dracula fue publicada después de la muerte de Stoker por su viuda Florence, y aunque la edición que he leído sólo incluye cuatro de los nueve cuentos que constituyen la totalidad de la antología, no deja de ser un buen ejemplo del arte narrativo de uno de los más emblemáticos autores de la ficción gótica de todos los tiempos.

"El huésped de Drácula" fue originalmente concebido como un capítulo introductorio de la celebérrima novela de vampir
Dan
Jun 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not actually a sequel to Dracula but a collection of short stories by Stoker. I've written a couple of lines about each of them.

Dracula’s Guest: This is part of the original Dracula which was cut to reduce the length. It has very little to do with Dracula (the character and the book) and is a bit of an odd story really. That being said they are so very creepy moments in it.

The Judge’s House: A haunted house story which is absolutely fantastic. It’s chilling.

The Squaw: A particularly gr
Matt
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some will have noticed that I am in the midst of an interesting Dracula binge, allowing both Bram and Dacre Stoker to offer up their own spins on the tale. While poking around for new finds on the topic, I stumbled upon this short story by the elder Stoker. In rural Germany, a man is travelling by coach and chooses to stray off the beaten path. He makes his way to a manor house and into a sizeable cemetery, where one large tombstone catches his eye. With the sound of wolves filling the air, one ...more
classic reverie
I wanted to read my Halloween stories before or near that day but it really does not matter when one reads a "horror" story. Several years ago I decided to read yearly a horror tale during this time of year. I have read many versions of Dracula like by many different authors and will continue to do so in the future. Bram Stroker's Dracula was my first and seeing this short story, I wanted to read this too. This is an extremely short story which I did not read this version but from "The Greatest ...more
Lau
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
«Los muertos viajan deprisa»

Éste es el capítulo con el que originalmente iniciaba 'Drácula', y que algún genio de la edición decidió sacar para que el libro no fuera tan largo.
Narra una aventura previa que tuvo Jonathan cuando todavía estaba en Munich. Es breve pero no por eso menos oscuro (el cementerio de suicidas es especialmente tétrico), y para mi gusto funciona bárbaro como introducción para una gran novela.
Leerlo antes del libro principal es una buena idea, porque además de que era la
Char (Tacky Genre Buff)
I thought this collection was just okay. I enjoyed the story The Judge's House the most. A good rat story is always fun.
I was a bit disappointed in this collection. I'm a big fan of Dracula and I guess I just expected more.
Mitticus
Apr 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mitticus by: Lau
Munich, es Walpurgis Nacht, un turista sale a dar una vuelta con un cochero y decide explorar por su cuenta pese a las advertencias de mal tiempo y otras cosas.

d7dd4db17321f4de053d6b7068ed7af9

Supe de esta historia corta por Lau, y aunque no menciona nombres sino a un 'viajero inglés' y el hecho de provenir de la historia original "Drácula" -el primer capítulo cortado por un editor-, esto nos lleva a pensar en su protagonista: Harker.

Por otra parte, es como una historia aleccionaria contra turistas aventureros ... o un precurso
Ângela

“On the top of the tomb, seemingly driven through the solid marble—for the structure was composed of a few vast blocks of stone—was a great iron spike or stake. On going to the back I saw, graven in great Russian letters: 'The dead travel fast.”
Kristen
Sep 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, classics
I had never heard of this book before, but when I ran across it and saw who the author was, I snatched it up and started reading. What we have here is a series of short stories published by Mrs. Stoker after the passing of her husband. The stories range from the disturbing supernatural tale of “The Judge” to the vampiric title tale of “Dracula’s Guest” some versions of this book include the “Lair of the White Worm” which although it is not one of my favorite of Mr. Stoker’s Cannon, it is still a ...more
Shaun
This is a collection of short stories published by Stoker's wife after his death.

Though a prolific writer in his own right, Stoker really only had one commercially successful book, his revered classic Dracula. So it's no surprise that the first story in this collection, Dracula's Guest, was also chosen as the anthology's title. Note however, that the other stories, while in the horror/Gothic tale genre, are not Dracula/vampire stories.

As is the case with many short story collections, there are s
Isa Lot
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me ha gustado más de lo que pensaba que me gustaría. Podemos encontrar el típico relato de terror gótico, con lobos, tormentas, pueblos malditos, leyendas del folclore rumano, etc. Se acerca más a la típica leyenda del vampiro clásico y por ello me gustó.
Cinty Herrejon
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Es un cuento muy corto y originalmente era el primer capítulo de "Drácula". Me gustó mucho no sé porque decidieron eliminarlo del libro, ¿Por qué?
Ευθυμία Δεσποτάκη
Πολύ καλύτερο απ' ότι περίμενα, πολύ πιο ενδιαφέρον, με ανθιρωπινες ιστορίες και πρωταγωνιστές που δεν τους λες και άμεμπτους. Ομολογώ ότι ο Στόουκερ δε με κέρδισε με τον Δράκουλά του αλλά με τούτο εδώ μου δείχνει τι άρεσε στον υπόλοιπο κόσμο.
Oliviu Craznic
A short story way better than the „Dracula” novel, sometimes included as a first chapter of „Dracula” (though this was, probably, Stoker`s intent, it was also, probably, intended, in fact, for an earlier „Dracula” version, quite different from the one we know - the style is quite different, and the tale stays better on its own; as „Dracula”`s first chapter, it makes little sense and it doest not connect well with the rest of the story). ...more
Peter
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Set in Munich an English traveller has a very eerie experience on an old cemetery of an abandoned village. It is Walpurgis Night. The inscription on the headstone mentioning a female countess leads to Dacre Stoker's Dracul. Can a group of soldiers rescue the hero of this story? Why is the story titled Dracula's Guest? Well written, spooky and quick to read for every Dracula and Dracul fan. Dracula is looming over the pages of this story. Recommended!
Pamellia
Sep 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of Classics and/or Horror
Recommended to Pamellia by: Horror Readers
Shelves: 2014
Dracula's Guest by Bram Stoker
Published posthumously by his wife
Began September 15, Completed September 25
Did not read all the stories
Horror Readers, September 22, 2014, Discussion

This book consists of unpublished stories written prior to Bram Stoker's death. After he passed to eternal life, his wife decided to publish these stories. I'm not sure why this was done, but in general I tend to think that if an writer wanted something published he would have done it. Apparently most of these stories
berthamason
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must confess that I thought this was a sequel to Dracula. It's not. Dracula's Guest is a compilation of short horror stories by Bram Stoker published posthumously by his wife. It's quite decent and it reminded me of Edgar Allan Poe at times. The Judge's House, A Gypsy Prophecy and A Dream of Red Hands are my favourite stories. Good for rainy nights.
Harsh Kumar
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic indeed. Not as good as Dracula Though. But I always love a classic one. These short horror stories are much much better than the modern ones I have read. The writes in the 18th and 19th century were more dark and gothic I reckon. Reading such books always gives you a quaint feeling. A feeling as if you are not holding a classic novel or a book but a relic in your hands.
Vaishali
Creepy imagery, but much ado about nothing. A wolf appears three-quarters of the way into the story, but this is also a non-event. The scariest things in this tale are the wind, trees and a lone sepulchre. Again, well-written, but no goal.
Marwan Emad
The forever Vampires VS Werewolves war. Wished this was a bit longer tbh.
Heather
A great collection of short stories - most had a fair decent creep factor. Bram Stoker is of course a very entertaining storyteller.

Four stars simply because the first story (a shorn off chapter from Dracula) was too abrupt to be of any kind of enjoyment and because the last story in this collection bored me to tears when all the others were so gripping.
Marina (Sonnenbarke)
Questo libro è una raccolta di cinque racconti, di cui solo uno, La casa del giudice, è da 4 stelle, mentre tutti gli altri sono da 3, per quanto mi riguarda.

Si tratta in tutti i casi di racconti pieni di tensione e, spesso, di orrore.

La Squaw è veramente orribile in quello che racconta, se non mi avesse spaventato avrei potuto dargli anche una valutazione più alta. Certo, lo scopo era precisamente spaventare, quindi il racconto è riuscito molto bene nel suo intento, ma mi ha raggelato troppo
Lindsey
I have always loved the book Dracula (although there are parts of it that drag...) In my opinion Bram Stoker was made to write short stories like the ones in Dracula's Guest. The first one is a piece that was taken from the original manuscript of Dracula for the time constraints of the novel. The others are just pieces from Bram Stoker's mind. They are rather macabre but extremely enjoyable if you have a darker side :) Read this, Edgar Allan Poe, and Ray Bradbury for the best October of your lif ...more
Tarik Lahyany
Once again, some mystery is left open. Jonathan has decided to go back to the mountains in Romania discovering that the 'unholy' village there, where count Dracula's Castle lies is forbidden. The count in the previous story has left no trace, only tombs were bolted, as they made sure it happened, after they decided to get back..
What's the story of the school there in the Romanian mountain I need to know!
Shayantani Das
Wha…how???Wait, who…when?

Okay, I am confused.

Is this a prologue of Dracula or an extended story? The narrator surely isn’t Jonathan Harker, right?

[image error]
Amina
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anything refereing to Dracula freezes the blood in my vains, this wasn't really creepy but when he starts describing the atmosphere in the cemetery and the telegram recieved at the hotel, bad souvenirs from Dracula rose and this alone scared the hell outta me
Ken
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is actually a short story collection, with the first only featuring a cut section from Dracula.
A couple of decent tales, I practically liked the two featuring Rats.
Mary Corbal
En la edición que yo me leí, hay otros relatos además del que da título al libro. Muy recomendable.
Pam
Nov 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dracula's Guest was referenced in Dracul, in the Author's Notes, so I thought I would check it out. It was removed from the original novel (Dracula) by the editor. It's a creepy little story. I like it, but I think it would have done better in it's original place, in the book, rather than a stand alone story.
Xiti L
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este relato, es igual de misterioso que la novela Drácula, la verdad la sentí un poco confusa, pero con una relectura y viendo un análisis que hizo alguien en alguna web pude comprenderla bien o lo que esa persona entendió de esta historia y su relación con la novela Drácula.
  • Present at a Hanging and Other Ghost Stories
  • The Book of Werewolves
  • Dracula in London
  • Dracula's Guest: A Connoisseur's Collection of Victorian Vampire Stories
  • The Evil Guest
  • The Upper Berth
  • The Door in the Wall and Other Stories
  • Phantom (Dark Musicals, #1)
  • Pigeons from Hell
  • The Phantom Rickshaw and Other Ghost Stories
  • Hauntings and Other Fantastic Tales
  • Practical Classics: 50 Reasons to Reread 50 Books You Haven't Touched Since High School
  • Varney the Vampire; or, The Feast of Blood
  • Die Kunst des stilvollen Verarmens
  • Novels & Stories: The Lottery / The Haunting of Hill House / We Have Always Lived in the Castle / Other Stories and Sketches
  • Euthyphro
  • Letters on Demonology and Witchcraft
  • Why Read Moby-Dick?
He was born Abraham Stoker in 1847 at 15 Marino Crescent – then as now called "The Crescent" – in Fairview, a coastal suburb of Dublin, Ireland. His parents were Abraham Stoker and the feminist Charlotte Mathilda Blake Thornely. Stoker was the third of seven children. Abraham and Charlotte were members of the Clontarf Church of Ireland parish and attended the parish church (St. John the Baptist lo ...more
“She told me that she did not like the idea of your being in that house all by yourself, and that she thought you took too much strong tea. In fact she wants me to advise you if possible to give up the tea and the very late hours.” 10 likes
“Walpurgis Night, when, according to the belief of millions of people, the devil was abroad - when the graves were opened and the dead came forth and walked. When all evil things of earth and air and water held revel. This very place the driver had specially shunned. This was the depopulated village of centuries ago. This was where the suicide lay; and this was the place where I was, alone - unmanned, shivering with cold in a shroud of snow with a wild storm gathering again upon me! It took all my philosophy, all the religion I had been taught, all my courage, not to collapse in a paroxysm of fright.

(Dracula's Guest)”