Start by marking “The Tiny Journalist” as Want to Read:
The Tiny Journalist

The Tiny Journalist

Internationally beloved poet Naomi Shihab Nye places her Palestinian American identity center stage in her latest full-length poetry collection for adults. The collection is inspired by the story of Janna Tamimi, the "Youngest Journalist in Palestine," who at age 7 began capturing videos of anti-occupation protests using her mother's smartphone. Nye draws upon her own ...more
Published April 9th 2019 by BOA Editions Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about The Tiny Journalist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tiny Journalist

Start your review of The Tiny Journalist
Mark
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Her voice a library of kindness.
I hear pages rustling, hungry fingers
moving through stories. If you very alone,
you would want this voice to find you."

^ I enjoyed this collection of poetry. Many gems to be discovered.
Misha
I have been reading Naomi Shihab Nye since high school. She has been writing of the plight and the humanity of Palestinians in all of her work, while this collection squarely rests with "the world's largest open-air prison." Nye also points out that Palestinians are also Semites, so being pro-justice for Palestinians is "never an anti-Semitic position, no matter what anybody says." These poems are simple but expressive of pain, oppression, joy and hope.

From "Netanyahu"
What does it mean when one
Melissa
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Devastating and beautiful.
Lynsy • Little Book Jockey
I should add an "emotions" category to my rating system for poetry. Did this make me cry? Yes. Read my full review here.
Stephen Byrne
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful beautiful work by Naomi Shihab Nye.
Lone Star Literary Life
Reviewed by Natalia Trevino for Lone Star Literary Life.

With a wide-angle lens taking in the tumultuous landscape that braids the personal and the political, the land and the language, and the kind child she insists is in every one of us, National Book Award Finalist, poet, and Texas treasure, Naomi Shihab Nye writes “only children / would ever find the key.” Dedicated to Janna Jihad Ayyad (born 2006), who at seven years old began reporting injustices in her village on the West Bank of
Deborah
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: palestine
Poems on the Gaza Strip, Janna the young journalist, freedom, displacement, food, Jerusalem, her father, the struggles, explosions, her grandmother, Donald Trump, and being Palestinian. Peace Talks rang very true unfortunately.
Roger DeBlanck
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Naomi Shihab Nye’s impressive body of work, whether for adults or children, has always echoed a vision of our collective humanism while also confronting the forces of injustice. With the poems in The Tiny Journalist, she returns to her Palestinian heritage and fuses together verses that reflect the real life story of a young Palestinian girl named Janna acting as a journalist and taking pictures of her people’s suffering. Nye lends her own voice to the girl’s story in order to give the ...more
Meg
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Naomi Shahib Nye's newest book of poetry (2019) brings the reader into the world of humanistic writing! Naomi uses her background with memories of her Palestinian father, her time living in Jordan and Palestine as a teen, and her study of the child, Janna, who has made videos of life in Palestine with a cell phone, to create this book of poetry and prose. From the moment one begins to read the book, the reader is compelled to become a resident of Palestine, to feel what the residents feel, and ...more
Tatiana
One hand out against the earth, one hand up against the sky / Somehow I walk between them / They carry messages through my body, on a cord stretched between far places...
~"All I can Do" (p.81)

For me, the above line describes Naomi Shihab Nye as a poet, acting as bridge between countries, religions, and long-held beliefs. The Israeli-Pakistan(-U.S.) conflict is no easy topic to mediate, yet Nye has the unique ability to do so, with her Palestinian heritage and youth spent in Jerusalem and
Jason
Sep 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
1) Hope amidst longing
2) Wonderfully scathing
3) Political and personal
Enjoyment: 3

You can feel the forlorn in Shihab Nye's words, as well as the memory, nostalgia, desire, and always immense wisdom. As usual, it is in the small - the tiny - easily overlooked that we are reminded of the imperative and eternal.

"COURAGE
-from "Studying English," p.34

"When people have a lot
they want more
When people have nothing
they will happily share it" -from "My Wisdom,"
Eric
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I don't read poetry books very often, but I attended a reading with Naomi Shihab Nye and there were a couple that she read that really struck me well enough that I had to buy the book. And there were a few more that also stuck, in particular one about free speech which I had one feeling about, and then an even deeper appreciation for once I noticed that it was actually originally published in 2015. A lot of it is tough stuff, as it's inspired by a teenage Palestinian vlogger, and it often hits ...more
Natalie
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a gorgeous collection of poetry, some of it inspired by Janna Jihad Ayyad, a Palestinian girl who started documenting Israeli injustices in the West Bank on her mother's smartphone when she was 7. I have loved Naomi Shihab Nye's work for 20 years now (!), and I got to hear her read and speak on Thursday night, and she signed my copy of this book.

ANYWAY. This book is glorious, full of poems that cut right to the heart of many things--politics and injustice and grief and longing but also
Kara Kvasnicka
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nye, as usual, does a wonderful job of showing how much all of us humans have in common with one another despite our religious and cultural differences and an even better job of portraying the tragic consequences of our not being able to do so. You may not wish to remember the haunting stories each of the poems in this collection tell of direct effect of the never-ending battle for control of their homeland on Palestinians, but the quality of Nye's writing will ensure they will.
John Dineen
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Continuing excellence by a supremely talented poet.

Ms. Nye delivers a devastatingly poignant portrait of the type of behavior that led Robert Burns to observe that nothing is quite so human as man's inhumanity to his fellow man. I look forward with great anticipation to future works.
Amy
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Investigate Palestine from Janna’s and the narrator’s eyes and be moved to a deeper understanding of the suffering of people of an ancient, exquisite culture in a land that has been fought over and occupied since before the historical Jesus. Naomi Shihab Nye’s clear, vivid poems are perfect, every one of them.
Laura Bang
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful and heartbreaking.
Katie Kemple
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book that will stay with me for a long time.
Nora
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the few contemporary poets I follow, and this book does not disappoint.
Kelley
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
NSN continues to observe the world in a way that inspires, moves and thrills me (both as a writer and as a human).
Bobby
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You do not need to be particularly knowledgeable about the plight of Palestinians to appreciate the powerful, universal themes contained in this wonderful volume of poetry!
Marianna
Poetry always speaks profound truth.
Laila Taji
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arab-books
Loved the poems that I had a reference point for -especially those about Janna Jihad. What a powerhouse of a human!
Lillian

but freedom.

-Naomi Shihab Nye
Graeme
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It would be nice to get some of my relatives to read this...
C. Billie
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Makes a memorable political statement that everyone should pay attention to. Deeply emotional, painfully sensitive. A poignant read.
R.K. Cowles
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 3/4 stars
Barbara
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, poetry, 2019
I love the way Nye’s work highlights moments of humanity & connection. This volume does that, but feels different from her poems I’m familiar with. There’s a thread of grief & anger, at times a voice of outrage. The “Tiny Journalist” refers to a Palestinian girl who began documenting anti-occupation protests at the age of 7. Nye’s identity as a Palestinian-American, as a daughter of a refugee, provides a powerful voice for these much-needed poems.
Emily Abigail
Nov 23, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover for the paperback & hardcover of book 2 12 Sep 21, 2018 09:04AM

• An American Sunrise: Poems
  • They Called Us Enemy
  • Be With
  • Be Recorder: Poems
  • On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous
Naomi Shihab Nye was born to a Palestinian father and an American mother. During her high school years, she lived in Ramallah in Jordan, the Old City in Jerusalem, and San Antonio, Texas, where she later received her B.A. in English and world religions from Trinity University. She is a novelist, poet and songwriter.

She currently lives in San Antonio, Texas. She was elected a Chancellor of the