Start by marking “La emancipación de la mujer y la lucha africana por la libertad” as Want to Read:
La emancipación de la mujer y la lucha africana por la libertad

La emancipación de la mujer y la lucha africana por la libertad

4.54  ·  Rating details ·  76 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
"No existe una verdadera revolución social sin la liberación de la mujer, " explica Sankara, dirigente central de la revolución de 1983-87 en Burkina Faso. Los trabajadores y campesinos de ese país de África occidental establecieron un gobierno popular revolucionario y comenzaron a combatir el hambre, el analfabetismo y el atraso económico impuestos por el dominio imperial ...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Pathfinder Press (first published December 1st 1990)

Be the first to ask a question about La emancipación de la mujer y la lucha africana por la libertad

kripsoo
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Among the many useful titles on women's liberation published by Pathfinder Press sits a gem of a pamphlet titled Women's Liberation and the African Freedom Struggle. It contains the full text of a speech given by Thomas Sankara, the revolutionary leader of the West African country Burkina Faso (formally Upper Volta) until his assassination in 1987

Sankara gives his speech to thousands of Burkinabe women gathered to commemorate International Women's Day on March 8, 1987. His speech is bereft of th
Fug o' Slavia
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A short but gripping read consisting of Two Speeches given by Sankara. The Longest one is a speech given to the Women's Union of Burkina-Faso consists of a dialectical materialist attack on the historical role of Patriarchy and the subjugation of women in society as well as the challenges facing the revolutionary struggle for women's emancipation in Burkina-Faso in the year 1987. The Shorter speech is a simpler declaration of the Burkinabean revolution's aims towards Women's liberation
Ruze
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
"Women hold up the other half of the sky."

A brilliant speech by Sankara, outlining not only the importance of liberating women and the benefits of such actions to any society, but stressing the negative attitudes men hold in regards to women that are so terribly damaging. A short and enjoyable read.
Akon
May 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
i love thomas sankara. he was probably the first truly feminist african president.
Rianna Jade
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The good ones always go.
Chino
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"For the revolution cannot triumph without the genuine emancipation of women". This book is FIRE!!! Sankara was on a roll! Talking about the oppressive system colonization and post colonization, what the revolution would and should like and how the revolution is intricately tied with women's emancipation and full participation in all spheres of the Burkina society, you just have to admire the maverick that Sankara was. I do hope that more societies will take note of all the things he mentioned i ...more
☭ Danny
Sankara is a personal hero, and I found this short transcript to be very useful and inspiring. Particularly insightful I think were the sections on dialectical materialism and the specific character of women's oppression.
Whitlaw Mugwiji
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feminist
Maame Prempeh
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Today, many of our women still seek the protective cover of a man as the safest way out from oppression.

"What will people say"

They marry without love or joy, just to serve some crude, dreary male who is far removed from real life and the struggles of tge people.

No! We must say again to our sisters that marriage,  if it brings society nothing positive and does not bring them happiness, is not indispensable and should even be avoided

To the contrary,  let's show them our many examples of bold, f
Lola
It is so refreshing to hear/read a man speak about women with such love, affirmation & authority the way Sankara does in these speeches. He not only challenges men to love and respect women but also challenges women to fight for themselves, emphasising that their emancipation is a vital component of the revolution.

A wonderful set of speeches.
Chinook
Dec 12, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
The African history section of the Indigo bookstores of the Greater Toronto Area are small and usually very similar. This book was only $10, struck me as an odd shelf choice for them, and I want to know why I should be super interested to read a book about women's lib by a dude. So I bought it.
Saoirse
The untimely assassination of Sankara (and of the Burkinabé Revolution) is surely one of the greatest tragedies of 20th century Africa. What a brilliant mind.
Jahde
Thomas Sankara had a very grasp of the fundamentals of social, economic and cultural revolution especially the inclusion of women in a NEW society.
Valérie
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Les meilleurs partent toujours en premier.
Le discours de Thomas Sankara est poignant et plein de vérité.
Il nous faut des leaders comme ça, aujourd'hui en Afrique et partout dans le monde.
Jessica McDermott
  • Black Is a Country: Race and the Unfinished Struggle for Democracy
  • Socialism . . . Seriously: A Brief Guide to Human Liberation
  • Dinge geregelt kriegen - ohne einen Funken Selbstdisziplin
  • The Failure of Nonviolence: From the Arab Spring to Occupy
Thomas Isidore Noël Sankara was a Burkinabé military captain, Marxist revolutionary, pan-Africanist theorist, feminist, and President of Burkina Faso from 1983 to 1987. Viewed by supporters as a charismatic and iconic figure of revolution, he is commonly referred to as "Africa's Che Guevara".
More about Thomas Sankara...
“Comrades, there is no true social revolution without the liberation of women. May my eyes never see and my feet never take me to a society where half the people are held in silence. I hear the roar of women’s silence. I sense the rumble of their storm and feel the fury of their revolt.” 34 likes
“Humankind does not submit passively to the power of nature. It takes control over this power. This process is not an internal or subjective one. It takes place objectively in practice, once women cease to be viewed as mere sexual beings, once we look beyond their biological functions and become conscious of their weight as an active social force. What's more, woman's consciousness of herself is not only a product of her sexuality. It reflects her position as determined by the economic structure of society, which in turn expresses the level reached by humankind in technological development and the relations between classes.

The importance of dialectical materialism lies in going beyond the inherent limits of biology, rejecting simplistic theories about our being slaves to the nature of our species, and, instead, placing facts in their social and economic context.”
2 likes