Start by marking “The Truth About Magic” as Want to Read:
The Truth About Magic

The Truth About Magic

From the internationally bestselling author of The Dark Between Stars and Love Her Wild, Instagram sensation Atticus returns with another romantic and deeply moving collection.

The Truth About Magic builds on the pains and joys of romance explored in Love Her Wild and the New York Times bestseller, The Dark Between Stars—heartbreaks and falling in love, looking back and

Published September 10th 2019 by St. Martin's Griffin

Start your review of The Truth About Magic
Lina
CONTENT WARNINGS: (view spoiler)

The same vapid shit as before. This guy seems to only know a handful of things in life: Girls, booze, and pretentious buzzwords to signal just how "classy" and "eclectic" he is.
(Fittingly, he features a quote by Paulo Coelho.)

There's a whopping ONE "poem" that features a female character kissing a girl, but then having a "deep", "emotional" "connection" with a boy, so same old with a sprinkle
Andrew Shaffer
Sep 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
A third book
of derivative tripe
about love, whiskey,
and scars
decorated with
stock photos of white couples
touching foreheads
under Photoshopped stars
Kim
Sep 27, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the book I liked the least of this series. Usually there are quite a few pages that make me smile or think about something or somebody, but now there was only one. That doesn’t make it a bad collection, it was just the least appealing to me personally.

Still this is, as always, a beautiful book.
Rebecca
Nov 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2019
Mediocre, vaguely sexist writing interspersed with pictures of skinny white people. I'm not sure the women these poems were about were known at all by the poet. It felt so two dimensional, like they could be about anyone and no one. I was waiting to be moved by even one poem but couldn't relate to a single line in this superficial book. This felt like scrolling through a cringy Pinterest board more than reading literature.
Mariah
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ugh 1.5. Okay, I get it. Wine. Champagne. Paris. Beaches. Skinny dipping. Summer moon. We get it.
Rubayet  Nusrat
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 19september
eagerly waiting for this one

Edit-
Bri
Nov 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2019
... and this was published in 2019??
Eva B.
Nov 27, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The definition of emo nonsense. The fact that this is a FINALIST is an affront to poetry. This isn't poetry, this is the most fake-deep wannabe bullshit I've ever read, not to mention that it glorifies alcoholism and self-harm/scars. Also, why is a book published in 2019 using the g-slur as a compliment? Haven't we decided that that's not okay? This is like the angsty poetry I wrote in 8th grade, except I never published it and it wasn't as gross-feeling as this.
Hannah Grace
Sep 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: good
***3.75***

Okay, so there are some really good lines/ideas in here. But my issue is calling it poetry.

The thoughts in these pages sort of remind me of deep shower thoughts. The necessary tenants to classify the poems as poetry aren't here, which is why I can't really call them poems, but they are still decently well written and some of the thoughts in here are things I will ruminate on for a while.

Here's the scoop, though: Atticus is, shall we say, addicted to writing about 1) kissing girl(s), 2)
Sara Jovanovic
Dec 25, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5

I liked it better than the previous collections, but it still had some issues. There are some beautiful pieces, although the rest is extremely similar to the ones he's already written. I think the imagery some of the poems create is astonishing, with the highlight on poems inspired by Paris and Rome. From now on, let's just patiently wait and see what Atticus releases next.

'When do I
a question.'

And not that related
cat kisser
Nov 25, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Garbage, absolute garbage. I like Rupi Kaur and brief poems can be good but this guy doesn't use any of the things you find in poetry. I didn't like a single "poem" of his. I read this and then right after watched a youtube review of the book and the reviewer kept quoting the poems that were so weak I couldn't remember reading them. And the guy thinks wearing a mask makes him interesting. I'd hide my face too if my writing was that bad.
Carryl Lee
Nov 30, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read any of the other books up for Goodreads Choice awards in poetry but I want to vote for any of them just as a vote for Anything except Atticus. This man makes me stabby.
Angela Magic Art
BEAUTIFUL. BEAUTIFUL. BEAUTIFUL.
My favorite in the trilogy, obsessed with the way Atticus arranges words, and creates incredible imagery. Just off the title alone I loved it. But my gosh, THIS BOOK IS PURE MAGIC. loved it. I couldn’t endorse it more. It’s all that I stand for. What a masterpiece.
Kristen Pizzo
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
His poetry never ceases to astonish me with how relatable it is.
Kate Gardner
Nov 05, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A friend was gifted this book by a well intentioned relative. We hate-read some of it.

Sweet baby jesus, if a bleeding hearted 16 year-old girl such as myself can see through this hackneyed mess, what gives? Even the poems that evoke some emotion are plays on cliches already expressed by a centuries worth of top 50 pop hits.
Yukti
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
I read this whole series of poetry and the only thing I felt was wasted potential. With such gorgeous art/photographs supplementing the words, you would think a work would be perfect. I feel as if Atticus tries to talk deep but it never actually reaches there. I see remnants of it in some of his poems, where there will be a startling clear observation about life, love, magic, words, poetry or even darkness but it feels unfinished. I feel like he has vivid descriptions that might suit a work of ...more
Jennifer Graff
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very emotional journey. I do wish it could have stopped right before darkness, but I guess that was part of the journey. This book made me cry. I want more.
Ian Mathieson
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just keeps getting better with every new release, definitely a must-read!
Vero
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked it fine but the author is a bit too focused on alcohol, kissing girls and stars for my taste.
Cassandra (Thebookishcrypt)
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fall-2019-haul
So good!!!
Related to many poems that just broke my heart
Luke Gorham
Dec 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry, 2019
I get why Atticus prefers anonymity.
Kate
Oct 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, 2019-read
3.5 probably my least favourite Atticus book, but still has some amazing poems in it.
Troy
Nov 03, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The cover art is great, I love it.
The name is alright I guess.
" This book is for
the day dreamers,
the night thinkers,
the summer skinny dippers
for anyone who ever said
'the night is young'
it's for you
the quiet ones
at the parties
looking out of windows
wondering about the stars.

so already i don't get the weird spacing.
Should this beginning be considered poetry, I don't know and I don't care.

I don't know many things
with any certainty',
Rachael Beverly
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, 2019-read
Loved it. I sat down on my couch with the door open and the only sounds being the splatter of rain drops against the ground and thunder in the distance. Couldn’t imagine a better way to soak up what this book has to offer.

The Truth About Magic transports you to all the nostalgic memories of the past while leaving you hopeful and looking forward to the memories to be made in the future. I’m so thankful for Atticus’ views of the world and that he’s brave enough to share them. I look forward to
Rubi
Nov 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
My teenage self would have really liked these "poems" and would have probably written some down with hearts all around in purple ink, and placed it inside her school binder.

As a 27 year old I can say that there were some good lines, but I do hesitate in calling this a poetry book.
Lindsay ⭐ [TrulyBooked]
Not all poetry needs to feel profound and moving. I also understand that taste comes into play here more heavily than it might in other genres, but this is my first time reading Atticus and I was struck by how shallow everything felt. Compared to the powerful words of other contemporary poets that I've read and loved, this felt like it was meant to be digested while swiping through Instagram. That's fine if that's what you're looking for, but for me, poetry isn't just clever lines that look good ...more
tijana
Nov 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
LOL. Could not sit through all of it. Cringe too easily. Middle schoolers will love this book though.
Andreia ✨The Butterfly Lover✨
Don't hide from heartbreak
for it will show you more truth
than a thousand happy days
Live in it
Soak in it
And let it evolve you into your next and greater form.
Kayla J. ~ Master of Dragons & Assassins
While there were a few I enjoyed, some were too juvenile for my tastes.

My least favorite:
"Love exists
somewhere between
a girl pretending
she can't open a jar of pickles
and a boy pretending

we were."
misskaelyn14
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
I loved the first half of this book! It made me think of so many happy memories and it was relatable. The second half of the book was alright but the majority of my favorite poems were in the first half.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• To Drink Coffee with a Ghost (Things that Haunt, #2)
  • Falling Toward the Moon
  • Every Word You Cannot Say
  • Pillow Thoughts II: Healing the Heart
  • Nocturnal
  • Aphrodite Made Me Do It
  • The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #3)
  • Love Looks Pretty on You
  • Pillow Thoughts
  • When You Ask Me Where I'm Going
  • Masquerade
  • Almost Home: Poems
  • Dear Midnight
“All she wanted was that cozy love the kind that felt like hot chocolate, rainstorms or wood fires in small houses. Hard to describe but you know when you got it.” 3 likes
“We all know the rules of love
we know we shouldn't chase
we know we shouldn't say those ridiculous things we say
but we do them anyways
because the truth is
we can't really help it
and we don't really want to.”
3 likes