Start by marking “Unscripted” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  133 ratings  ·  93 reviews
Young line producer Danny Byrd is well-known in Hollywood for being someone who gets things done on time and under budget. But when his reputation takes a beating after his partner--and former best friend--makes off with their investors' money, Danny has but one chance to redeem himself and restore his ruined career.

LA lawyer Megan Pierce has sacrificed years o
Published October 1st 2019 by Fleming H. Revell Company

To ask other readers questions about Unscripted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unscripted

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Unscripted
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I have always been fascinated by Hollywood and filming. So this book was super exciting to me. I loved how Bunn's story came together. The filming and then the romance between Byrd and Megan was the best. I loved the awards ceremony. I have to say Emma was an excellent character as well. You will not find anything in this book that you don't like, well wait a minute maybe Jr. he was a piece of work. I did not care for him at all.
The Mary Reader received this book from the publisher for rev
Katie B
I really thought I was going to like this one as I normally love anything revolving around the tv/film industry. Unfortunately, this book was a big disappointment. It actually took me two tries to even finish the book as I set it down for a few days after only making it to about page 75. On the second attempt I even started right back at the very beginning, hoping something would click and I could get into the story more this time around. Didn't work. This book just isn't for me.

Dann
Susan Snodgrass
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it
'Danny's life, career, and professional standing had all been destroyed by one word.'

Danny Byrd has spent time in jail as a juvenile, robbed a bank, but now, as a grown man, he is on the docket again, but he's innocent this time. He had a good reputation until now and his career and indeed his life, needs redemption.

Danny teams up with a lawyer, Megan Pierce and it turns out both of them could stand a good dose of redemption. But sometimes God gives us more than we need. He's just g
Jypsy
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you Revell for an advanced copy. I voluntarily reviewed this book. All opinions expressed are my own.

By: Davis Bunn

*REVIEW* ✔✔✔✔
Unscripted is an intriguing look at behind the scenes of the film industry and the corruption therein. The main character, Danny, is known as a reliable and competent line producer, but he's in a lot of trouble not of his own making. With his career and everything on the line, Danny has a chance at redemption, but will he succeed in time? With a
Natalie Walters
Interesting story revealing the cost of making it big in Hollywood and the reality that redemption of ones past does exist beyond red carpet. I wasn't sure what to expect from this story but found myself turning the pages as author, Davis Bunn, unraveled a unique plot. The writing was well done and the characters had enough depth to them to draw me in on an emotional level. There's a real sense of behind-the-scenes in the details that lend to the authenticity behind the story making it a quicker ...more
Jody ~ Reading To Live A Thousand More Lives
I loved the synopsis of the book, although I was expecting a bit more of a thriller than what it was. There are many characters throughout the book, for me it was a little difficult to keep track of them. Danny and Megan’s relationship appeared a bit too rushed. I very much liked the setting of the book and the grimy parts of the movie industry. Other than that, I was not as impressed by this book as I was hoping I would be.

I received this book from Revell in exchange for my honest o
Anastacia Russell
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was expecting a legal thriller, but this was more love story which was bland and dull. There is no heat or romance, just insta-love. There is a bit of drama from other studios, but I was glad when this book was over.
Nora St Laurent
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was captured by the opening, curious as to what would happen next, “The entire Beverly Hills jail was nonsmoking and air conditioned. Four inmates to a cell. No overcrowding. Decent food for a jail…Not that Daniel Byrd had much experience with prisons.”

I was intrigued, wondered why this guy was in jail, and where this would lead. I hadn’t expected a start like this. The author develops a rich characterization that sucked me into the dilemma, mystery and conspiracy in the film indus
Sara Wise
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
** “Growing up, Danny had known a lot of guys who wanted to do good, and failed. But giving up on the rage or the hurt or the drug of choice was too big a step. They could be just as addicted to anger as they were to their high. It had come to define them.” **

Davis Bunn takes a deep dive into the film world with “Unscripted,” a tale filled with movie-making magic, betrayal, deception and backstabbing.

When Danny Byrd’s film partner absconds with their investment money, Dan
Jessica Higgins
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Davis Bunn gives readers a terrific story that will be sure to have them talking to others about the uniqueness of this book!
Danny Byrd has made quite the reputation for himself in Hollywood as being someone who is reliable in the film industry. As a behind the scenes accountant, he manages production of films with a tight crew that always make money. However, that all changes when his business partner, and best friend, empties out all the accounts and leaves town with the money. When chec
Mark
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not many books start out with the main character in jail, but this one did. I wasn't expecting that. Slight spoiler: he gets released, but one might figure that out by reading the book description.

Bunn is one of the most versatile authors I have read. Most authors I read have one type of book they write, and stick with one genre'. Bunn has written all kinds of books in different genre's. This one is a book I wasn't sure about, but found myself liking a lot.

Most Christia
Nadine Keels
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Danny Byrd's film career as a line producer is severely threatened when his partner takes off with their investors' money, and Danny ends up in jail. He then has an unexpected chance to redeem his career, a short window of time to pull off an unlikely film project, and an unforeseen ally—and possibly more—in lawyer Megan Pierce in Unscripted by author Davis Bunn.

In some ways, this novel reminds me of an earlier one I enjoyed, My Soul to Keep, by the same author: an underdog film situation, with a t
Loraine
This was definitely a new genre for me from one of my favorite authors. I have read many of Davis Bunn's Christian fiction series, but this book is definitely general market contemporary. It is a clean , quick read which I definitely enjoyed.

Danny Byrd has grown up as a foster kid along with his best friend J.R. They have gone in to business together as an agency for producing Hollywood films. But Danny now finds himself in jail; and J.R. has absconded with every bit of their assets
Raechel
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
3.5
This was the first book I’ve had the plasure of reading by this author and I was quite impressed by the writing talent. The story moved along smoothly, and you could tell the filming aspect was well-researched to add an authenticity that really enriched the story. I found the ploit line intriguing, and enjoyed watching how it unfolded. The characters were interesting, and I thought that Danny Byrd made a good lead character.The romance aspect was tame which I appreciated, though it felt like
Suzie Waltner
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars
For anyone interested in what happens behind the movie camera or someone just wanting to read a well-written story, Davis Bunn’s Unscripted may be just what you’re looking for.

I enjoyed the way the film Danny and his crew are working on comes together. Everything seems to fall into place (even when at first people doubt the outcome) to give Danny the second chance and self-worth he needs.

At a couple of points, I felt like large pieces of the story were glos
Abigail Harris
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
My Review: I requested this book since I have enjoyed the books that Davis Bunn published with Janette Oke, and I am glad I signed up to review this one. It is wonderful! The producing side of Unscripted and the law side of Unscripted were both different and yet went together well, it was interesting to read about a wrongly accused man and a woman trying to leave behind an unkind law office.

Rating: 3 and 1/2 stars rounded up to 4.

Recommendation: 16 up for romances and suc
Amanda
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
I was intrigued by the synopsis of this story as I'm curious how movies are made. Unfortunately, this one missed the mark for me. The plot is a bit muddy and convoluted and the scenes that deal with "movie making" were less than exciting.

The characters were pretty basic and I didn't find anything about them that made them stand out or be memorable. I did enjoy the setting of the story.

Overall, this book was not very interesting to me and I found it kind of boring. Not o
Melissa
Oct 20, 2019 rated it liked it
This was an interesting read for me. It is different from most of my usual reads. For most of the book, I wasn’t invested in it but I was curious enough to keep going. Once all the pieces started coming together, I was more invested but overall I didn’t love it. The legal aspects of the novel reminded me a bit of a John Grisham book and the entertainment angle was different. The book moved slowly for me. I did like most of the characters especially Emma. I do think my husband will enjoy this boo ...more
Candy
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved the insider's look at movie production.
Karis Bronowski

Plot: 3 out of 5
Characters: 3 out of 5
Writing Style: 4 out of 5
Personal Enjoyment: 3 out of 5

One of my favorite aspects of reading, especially with realistic fiction, are some of the insights that I gain from books. Davis Bunn’s novel Unscripted took me to a world that I have no experience with at all—the film industry. In this story, it’s a world that’s as full of twists a
Marie
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you in advance to JustRead Publicity Tours and Revell for sending this copy to review. A positive review was not required and all words are my own.

This was my first introduction to author Davis Bunn.

This novel centers around line producer Danny Byrd who is well-known in Hollywood for being someone who gets things done on time and under budget. Because of his former partner (and former best-friend), RJ, taking off with some money from investors, Danny’s reputation is tarnished. And, he ev
Kimmie
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, my-reviews
“Unscripted” is a standalone novel by Davis Bunn. It tells the story of a wrongfully imprisoned filmmaker, a lawyer dissatisfied with her job (and her life), and what happens when they are drawn together to try to make a made-for-tv movie.

This story drew me in immediately. The plight of filmmaker Danny Byrd seemed to be hopeless at first, but circumstances quickly changed as unseen forces began to intervene in his life, and the reader begins to experience hope along with Danny. I had
Conny Reviews
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Despite the fact that you were arrested for fraud, everyone I spoke with declared you were both honest and good at your job,” Danny is told in Davis Bunn’s novel, Unscripted.

~ What ~
This three-hundred-and-sixty-eight-page paperback targets those who enjoy a fictional story about the movie and film industry. With no profanity, topics of depression, abandonment, and drug abuse may not be appropriate for immature readers.

In this tale based in Southern California, up a
Kim
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
by Davis Bunn
Rating: 4/5

I don't know about you but when I choose to read something, I do it when I have free time or need a break from studying. I had briefly read the summary before choosing to download the book and waited to read it after finishing a book in Christian fantasy - a completely different genre! I was hesitant to start reading because I was still back in fantasy land with shifters and vampires, but once I read the first few pages, I couldn't put th
Libby May
Three Stars.
Unscripted was not a bad book, It just wasn't magnificent.

Things I liked.

I liked... Megan.
I liked Emma.
I liked Robin as little of a character she was. I
liked JR even though he was a bad dude.
I loved the scenes where they were shooting the movie. Those were powerful and beautiful and honestly, I wish the whole book was written in the style that Davis slipped into when he was writing the movie shots.
I liked the main plotline, even though there was so much legal/>Things
Christian Fiction Addiction
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well, Davis Bunn has done it again! Only a couple of pages into his latest novel, "Unscripted", I knew I was in trouble and would need to forget about whatever other plans I had in store, because I wasn't going anywhere any time soon. The story of Danny and Megan held me spell-bound from start to finish, as I watched them navigate the behind the scenes world of Hollywood where, clearly, it is difficult to know who you can even trust. Though this story is fiction, I have no doubt that many elemen ...more
Rosalyn
Oct 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I began reading this book completely unsure of what to expect.

I've read Davis Bunn's books in the past....but it's been a long time ago (telling you how long would be....well, telling on myself...lol). Let's just leave it at that.

I did enjoy those earlier books I read by him, mostly, but he's never been one of my top favorite authors. I've just found it a bit harder to connect with his writing style, I think.

However, I'm saying all this, because I knew I wante
Meagan Myhren-bennett
By Davis Bunn

Danny Byrd's life and reputation have been destroyed by the betrayal of his best friend. He knows that he'll never achieve his dreams of being a producer. Worse he is bankrupt, his business owes money everywhere, and he is sitting in jail assigned a public defender who could care less.

Megan Pierce has worked hard to make a place for herself in the law firm where she has been made senior associate. But all the hours and the elitist attitude of
Sue
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Having sold over 8 million copies and won 4 Christy awards, Davis Bunn is a celebrated author that knows his craft. In his latest book, he takes on both Hollywood and the legal system that supports it.
Main character Danny Byrd has chosen a life of integrity, despite his broken upbringing in the foster system. When his faith in the one friend who knows his whole past is shattered, Danny finds his faith in himself also shattered. But a mysterious rescue from jail and an even stranger inherit
V. Palmer
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Unscripted by Davis Bunn infuses readers with layers of powerful emotions! In fact, I dare you to read Unscripted and NOT feel the emotion! Seriously. I dare you.

Unscripted is one of those unique novels that portrays a story within a story. The story was different from what I expected -- but in a good way! I don't know how the author did it, but all of the characters tug on your heartstrings, and there's also a mystery surrounding Danny that had me trying to figure out what in the wo
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Distance Too Grand (American Wonders Collection, #1)
  • Dark Ambitions (Code of Honor #3)
  • The Words Between Us
  • Always Look Twice (Uncommon Justice, #2)
  • Christmas in Winter Hill
  • The Girl Behind the Red Rope
  • The Gryphon Heist (Talia Inger #1)
  • You Belong with Me (Restoring Heritage #1)
  • One Final Breath (Dive Team Investigations, #3)
  • Deadly Intentions
  • Hope's Highest Mountain (Heirs of Montana, #1)
  • The Spice King (Hope and Glory, #1)
  • Stitches in Time (The Deacon's Family #2)
  • Vow of Justice (Blue Justice, #4)
  • One More River to Cross
  • The Roll of the Drums (The Amish of Weaver's Creek #2)
  • She Prays: A 31-Day Journey to Confident Conversations with God
  • Finding Lady Enderly
Davis Bunn is an internationally-acclaimed author who has sold more than seven million books in twenty languages.

Honored with four Christy Awards for excellence in historical and suspense fiction, Davis was inducted into the Christy Hall of Fame in 2014.

His bestsellers include The Great Divide, Winner Take All, The Meeting Place, The Book of Hours, and The Quilt. A sought-after lecturer in the a