Start by marking “Christmas in Winter Hill” as Want to Read:

Christmas in Winter Hill

Krista Galloway is not a fan of Christmas. After her rough childhood in multiple foster homes, the holiday season just brings too many bad memories to the surface. But when she accepts a job as a city manager in the mountain town of Winter Hill, Washington, Christmas is part of the deal. The small town is famous for its Christmasville celebration, something that the city m ...more
Published September 3rd 2019 by Fleming H. Revell Company

To ask other readers questions about Christmas in Winter Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas in Winter Hill

Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I have read everyone of Carlson's Christmas novellas and love them all. Sometimes we just need a feel good Christmas book where everything is perfect and turns out right. I can't for next years Christmas novella. I hope that you will grab a copy of Christmas In Winner Hill and enjoy it as much as I did.
5 Stars and I HIGHLY recommend it!
The Mary Reader received this book from the publisher for review. A favorable review was not required and all views expressed are our own.
Allison Tebo
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary
FTC Disclosure: Revell Reads gave me complimentary copies of this book. A positive review was not required. These are my honest thoughts.

I ended up skim-reading this one. I was expecting something fluffy and happy to deliver me a mild shot of holiday sappiness but, sadly, I didn’t get even that.

The dialogue and style is toneless and soulless and the characters so boring and homogenized, that this book failed to produce any feelings whatsoever.

The story is also, unfortun
Anna
Krista Golloway, recently divorced, has accepted a job as city manager of Winter Hill, Washington. Her daughter, Emily, is excited about seeing snow for the first time. What Krista didn't know was that the annual Christmas festival is a big event in Winter Hill. Krista grew up in multiple foster homes, and after too many disappointing Christmas mornings, she is not a fan of Christmas.

Emily loves Winter Hill, but Krista is ruffling the feathers of some of the more prominent citizens.
Deanne Patterson
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every year I look forward to the author's new Christmas book.
To be honest it's a great way to start the holiday season off.
A down on their luck Mom and her daughter are new in Winter Hill.
They are looking to make a new start away from old memories . Is Winter Hill the place for this mom to do it while working for City Hall?
You can run but you can't hide, bad memories will still follow you and is the reason for her distrust .
I loved seeing the enthusiasm of the young
Jypsy
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Revell for a complimentary copy. I voluntarily reviewed this book. All opinions expressed are my own.

By: Melody Carlson

*REVIEW* 🎄🎄🎄🎄
I don't usually read holiday fiction in October, so I wasn't sure how I would feel about this book. Christmas in Winter Hill was a pleasant surprise. I totally felt the Christmas spirit. Krista and her daughter, Emily, are looking for a new beginning. Krista is the new city manager, but she's not a big fan of Christ
Amanda Tero
Sep 28, 2019 rated it liked it
If you want a typical Christmas Hallmark in book form, here you have it. A big change for Krista and her daughter, a woman who hates Christmas and is thrown into it, a man she meets instantly, and small town drama that flares into a climax with accusations and questions. I could totally see this as a Hallmark movie.

Personally, I felt the story was a bit rushed and sometimes a little stiff. It’s possible that I could have looked over that, but it greatly lessened my enjoyment that Kri
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
3 stars for me personally. Very clean and a fun Christmas read. :)
Shirley Chapel
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Jane Blankenship
Recommended to Shirley by: Reviewers on goodreads
It's tradition for this reader to read Melody Carlson's new Christmas release each year. In my opinion Christmas in Winter Hill is her best Christmas Novel ever! I felt it deserved more than five Stars. I sympathized with Krista in the situations she had been put in as she tried to do her job as city manager. She had to make some decisions that quite frankly were not appreciated by the citizens and leaders of the small community.
Krista was a single mother living in Arizona. Wanting to get
Jen. (JenGalaxy4 Christian Book Reviews)
I don’t have cable, so I don’t have that popular movie channel. But, when I did have cable and did have that popular movie channel, this story is exactly the movie I would have enjoyed watching, like, a bajillion times.

Essentially, Christmas in Winter Hill by Melody Carlson is a that popular movie channel Christmas movie in book form. And, I enjoyed every adorable page of it!

I definitely recommend this book! It’s super sweet and super clean. The romance is very light and gentle
Maureen Timerman
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
A quick read that draws you in, and then you don’t want to let go.
I loved Emily, the author gives us such a sweet little girl, and she loves her Mom. Then we have Anna a teenager and how welcoming she is of an eight-year-old, and how she goes about helping her.
We are given a little bit of sweet romance, crime, new beginnings, and all things Christmas, and all wrapped up in a page-turning read.
Only problem I had was I wanted more!
I received this book through the Revell Rea
Hallie Szott
3.5

Fall may have just started, but I’m excited about new Christmas books. Every year, I can count on a sweet holiday story from Melody Carlson, and this year’s Christmas in Winter Hill is exactly that.

A new job brings Krista Galloway and her daughter to Winter Hill, Washington just in time for its beloved Christmas celebration. A celebration that it is now Krista’s job to coordinate. Even though she hates Christmas. Is it possible that this Christmas-loving small town can
Susan Snodgrass
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I never miss one of Melody Carlson's Christmas tales. They are so good and hopeful. This time around a single mother and her eight year old daughter move from Phoenix to Washington state where the mom has a new job. It's nearing Christmas time and this town goes all out! Much to the mom's dismay. She has never had a good experience at Christmas time. Never. But what happens will bless you and restore her faith in Christmas again. Don't miss this wonderful little story.

*My thanks to R
Lori
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Krista Galloway and daughter Emily move to the town of Winter Hill so Krista can begin work as the new city manager. Winter Hill hosts an annual festival called Christmasville. Krista whose Christmas eve birthday always bumped up against the Christmas holiday spent her childhood in foster homes. Her unfavorable memories associated with the holiday created a strong aversion to Christmas. She still tries to put up a tree and make it a good day for her daughter but Emily knows her mom does not lik ...more
Kailey
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a very enjoyable, quick read. It was very reminiscent of a Hallmark movie. It moved at a decent pace and had a sweet ending. I really enjoyed it!

I received a complimentary copy from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.
Angela (Kentuckybooklover) Brocato-Skaggs
A sweet quick Christmas read filled with hope, warmth, and love. The perfect book to sit by a warm fire with a cup of peppermint cocoa and lose yourself in the joys of Winter Hill.

I received a complimentary copy from the publisher, Revell, through NetGalley. Any and all opinions expressed in the above review are entirely my own.
Nadine Keels
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
When Krista lands a city manager position, she and her little girl relocate to Winter Hill. But not everyone in the holiday-oriented small town makes Krista feel the most welcome, including on her job. And the town's famous Christmasville celebration is coming up, requiring Krista's involvement—even though her rough history has given her plenty of reasons not to care for the holiday in Christmas in Winter Hill by author Melody Carlson.

First off, to make it clear, just in case: this holid
Loraine
This is my 16th Christmas novella by Melody Carlson, and she has yet to disappoint. With complex, realistic characters, her stories always sparkle with the fantasy of Christmas in the midst of everyday life.

Krista Galloway has left her job in Phoenix as an assistant city manager to take on the role of city manager in the small town of Winter Hill Washington. Krista grew up in foster homes and never felt Christmas or her birthday on Christmas Eve got much attention. So she is somewhat of a Grinc
Diane
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
If you’re a huge fan of sweet and predictable Hallmark type movies/stories then you’re going to love this book because it’s so steeped in all things Christmas you’re guaranteed a mouth full of cavities after the happily ever after.This book is well written for maximum holiday cheer but the author fails to provide an emotional connection to the characters, the storyline isn’t in the least bit original and the climax of the story was sadly lacking and totally predictable. I really do love Christma ...more
Sara Wise
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What do you do if you’re not a fan of Christmas but take a job in a town that’s all about Christmas? Christmasville. The Christmas House. The mayor plays Santa Claus.

That’s the situation Krista Galloway finds herself in Melody Carlson’s latest holiday offering, “Christmas in Winter Hill.”

When single mom Krista takes a job as city manager for Winter Hill, Washington, she finds herself thrown into the middle of planning the town’s Christmasville celebration. A former foster
Carole Jarvis
Reviewed at The Power of Words: https://bit.ly/339L7Qx

A trademark of Melody Carlson’s prolific writing is her yearly Christmas novella and Christmas in Winter Hill is a welcome addition. This is my first Christmas-themed read of the fall and I enjoyed it very much. The small town of Winter Hill, Washington is the perfect backdrop for this uplifting story of family and community. There’s a Hallmark feel to this story and I can easily see it in the future lineup of Christmas movies. That’s not a criticism, by
Lisa Johnson
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Title: Christmas in Winter Hill
Author: Melody Carlson
Pages: 176
Year: 2019
Publisher: Revell
My rating: 5 out of 5 stars.
This novella is a touching story of a woman along with her 8-year-old daughter move from a big, warm town to a small town that gets cold. The female lead character is named Krista whose broken past tends to place a shadow every year over her Christmas holidays. Krista becomes the town manager and quickly finds herself embroiled in a possible pr
Trixi
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Krista Gallaway is NOT a fan of Christmas. So why is she crazy enough to move from Phoenix, Arizona to Winter Hill, Washington accepting the job of City Manager? Especially when she finds out Chirstmasville is their biggest event of the year! And, to top that off, she’s expected to get behind the celebration 100%.

This was definitely a cutesy, Christmasy, warm-hearted story that will have you rooting for the magic of holiday miracles and the power of love. Krista and her daughter Emil
Kristina
Christmas in Winter Hill by Melody Carlson is a sweet Christmas novella. I look forward to reading this authors latest Christmas story each year and I was not disappointed with Christmas in Winter Hill. It is well-written with relatable characters in realistic situations. It moves along at a steady pace and can be finished quickly (only 164 pages). Krista Galloway is looking forward to starting over in Winter Hill. She has not had the easiest life growing up in the foster care system and the las ...more
Vera Godley
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is such a delight to read short Christmas novellas. They are most always warm-fuzzy-feeling books that just brighten one's emotional being. Often those treasures are tinsel draped and brightly lit romances. You know - boy meets girl, girl swoons, a Christmas engagement or wedding, and happily into the sunset. Not bad, but not always what we wish for.

Melody Carlson's Christmas novellas have a light touch of romance - very light. They reach right into the heart of the characters and
Robin Reynolds
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: revell-reads
*Received through the Revel Reads Blogger Program and voluntarily reviewed*

Definitely Hallmark movie material, and that's a good thing! This slim hardback (164 pages) is a sweet feel good story. Krista and her young daughter move from Phoenix to Winter Hill, Washington, where Krista is starting a new job as the city manager. Krista is a realistic portrayal of a single mother trying to provide a better life for her daughter. She's not a fan of Christmas, which I often feel quite bah h
Mayda
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holiday, christmas
How can you not like Christmas! Well, Krista Galloway has a couple of reasons. Raised in foster care and group homes, Christmas was nothing special. And given that she was born on Christmas Eve, birthdays didn’t mean much, either. Mostly forgotten, she, in turn, mostly ignored Christmas. And with a failed marriage behind her and and having Emily, her 8-year-old daughter to raise, mostly if not entirely on her own, she is attempting a new start in Winter Hill. What she didn’t expect, as the new c ...more
Lori
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes it seems impossible but that's when you just have to trust in God that things will work out for the good in His own time. Not when we want it to!
This sweet Christmas book is a gentle reminder of that. I loved the remainder and sometimes I know that we're not always patient myself included.
I try to never miss a Melody Carlson book for this reason. Her stories are always wonderful and I love her books!
I enjoyed this story through the eyes of an 8 year old named Emily. H
Vicky Sluiter
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wonderful, feel good story for the Christmas season, author Melody Carlson doesn’t steer away from a difficult storyline. Some have reviewed this book and said that the challenges Krista faces makes the story “not fun to read”. I have found that challenges make the characters more true to life. After all, who has the perfect life story? I enjoy reading about characters who overcome life challenges. And yet Carlson has kept the warm, Christmas-y feel of the story that we love this time of year. ...more
Suzie Waltner
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tis the season for Christmas reads to start appearing, and Melody Carlson kicks us off with another sweet contemporary novella to get us in the holiday spirit.

As Winter Hill’s Christmasville celebrations get underway, Krista’s slight Grinch-like attitude contrasts to the excitement surrounding the festivities. Through her daughter and another family, Krista’s complacency toward Christmas begins to change.

Fans of Hallmark movies (right down to the snow falling at the first
Melissa
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
No one does Christmas novellas like Melody Carlson! This latest release from Melody is a charming story. It's impossible not to love Krista and Emily or not to root for them to find home in their new town of Winter Hill. The story is nice with a sweet conclusion. While this isn't my favorite Melody novella(last years: Cottage By The Sea" takes that spot!) it is another great offering from Melody. If you like short, sweet Christmas stories, definitely make plans to pick this one up!

I
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Melody Carlson is the award-winning author of over two hundred books, several of them Christmas novellas from Revell, including her much-loved and bestselling book, The Christmas Bus.

She also writes many teen books, including the Diary of a Teenage Girl series, the TrueColors series, and the Carter House Girls series.

Melody was nominated for a Romantic Times Career Achievement Award in the inspi